“We loved it and will return”

Kamuela Villas and Suite Sanur
Ranked #2 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Sanur
Adelaide, Australia
“We loved it and will return”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We were in Bali for a holiday and to celebrate our daughter's wedding. We stayed at Kamuela from July 31 to Aug 6 and simply can not recommend Kamuela highly enough. We had a double villa (number 6) which was clean, well-appointed, comfortable and the service in all areas, excellent.. We all enjoyed the complimentary massages and continental breakfasts as well as the Balinese coffee! The staff are extremely friendly and very helpful. When we needed to escape the hustle and bustle of Sanur the Kamuela villas were a delightful oasis. Admittedly not the cheapest place in Sanur but in my opinion well worth every cent.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Terry D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I stayed at Kamuela Villas in late July 2011 in one of its suite room. The hotel is very new, that is it's under new management who changed the name. That's why many taxi drivers were puzzled when we asked to be driven there as they have never heard of this name before. But no big drama, we've got the address and found it easily enough. From the moment we arrived there, the staffs were very attentive and friendly. We were checked in with no fuss. The decorations of the hotel and our room are beautiful, immaculately clean, modern and yet traditional with all beautiful Balinese decorations. The hotel landscape was good, with restaurant overlooking the swimming pool. There's even library section. Our room was on 2nd floor overlooking the main street, but there's no noise disturbance at all at nights. It's very peaceful. The room was perfect in every way...very spacious, smells great, complete with ething we need incl cutleries, tea and coffee making facilities, electric kettle, air con, tv, safety box, slippers, and shower amenities. And it has a huge jacuzzi with open platform overlooking the garden and swimming pool. I didn't hv any chance to use the jacuzzi, but i was sure it'd be very nice. The staff is again very accommodative, he explained everything to us when we checked into our room and wisely advise us to close the sliding door leading to the jacuzzi, because mozzies are everywhere!!! The beds are soooo comfy and the sheets are clean!!! We're given very nice welcome drinks, towels, fruit basket and mini chocolates. The rates incl daily breakfast, afternoon teas and 15 mins foot massage. We missed out on afternoon teas and massage as we went out everyday. The bathroom is great!!! With two separate sinks, a bathtub and spacious shower room. The breakfasts served were adequate and tasted good. The fresh juices were yummy! But the dinners were superb!!! It was surprising that they could cook very delicious western foods. Prices were also worth paying. We had 3 main dishes: satay kachang with rice cubes, beef medallion and salmon teriyaki which were all cooked perfectly!!! And the drinks...oh so good. We had 4 drinks and 2 desserts! Please try the pandan crepes with tropical fruits and choose the flavor of the ice cream Rum and Raisin. It's to die for!!! We had such a good time at dinner with the relaxing music and top notch service that we hardly realise it's bedtime :-( if only we could stop the time! The villa also has a spa which we didn't use. But i'm sure it is a great one.

However, after all these good points, there are few minor points I would like to point out and hope the hotels could improve on this:

1. The water flow in the shower room was extremely ridiculously tooooo slow. It's almost like tap. Thank god there's a shower rail in the bathtub with much faster water flow. So I decided to take shower in the bathtub instead to make sure all my body is properly cleaned.

2. Plis do close your front door and jacuzzi door and windows as soon as you go in/out. Mozzies are everywhere and they are very sneaky and annoying. I recommend that the hotel install the mosquitoes nets for the beds, because it's very frustrating to hear the mozzies flying across or around you all night long with their buzzing sounds, with the thought that you will surely wake up tomorrow morning with many many itchy bites

3. The area around the toilet stinks. I'm not sure if its the improper drainage systems which is very common in Indonesia (as I am Indonesian)...but i'm sure there's a way to rectify this problem. Otherwise, imagine if it's in much bigger hotels with more stars. People pay big bucks to stay and would not be happy to find the toilet stinks.

4. I had a problem in ordering brekkie on the 3rd day. I wanted to order banana pancake brekkie set PLUS and additional omelette alone. I specifically said to the waitress that I jst wanted an omelette alone and jst charge to my room and she said ok. But when it came, i had two brekkie sets: The Banana pancake sets and the Omelette sets. So I had to ask them to keep the Omelette brekkie set for my friend (who was stil sleeping) because otherwise she wouldn't get the free brekkie (cos 1 room only gets 2 complimentary brekkie sets)

5. There's unfinished works under the sinks in the bathroom. I was surprised to find this cos the upper side looks immaculate, but when i looked under the sinks, it jst ruined it off cos you could see all the pipes and rough cements. Why didn't they finish it off?

Despite of all of these minor points, overall, we had great experience during our stay. The villa is great and we could sleep so well which is the most important thing. The rates are reasonable and great service. I will definitely recommend people to stay in this villa.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Poiki
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I just leave Kamuela Sanur and continue my honeymoon to Lombok Island, only one word to describe "the greatest room ever", every year I spent my holiday in Bali, but this time very wonderful stay, We stay in new Suite room which very huge room complete with huge jacuzzi, the bed very comfortable and smell very nice come from aromhateraphy oil which they burner every day..all the staff very friendly and always help us when we needed, we meet the villa manager during our breakfast, he asking our experience and suggest us to write on trip advisor if we are happy stay here. Will recommend this property to all my friend and family in Jakarta and Singapore. Oh ya..one more thing..their food taste and presentation very nice and the price not so high. We will back next year.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank jenny_imoet
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed in the only 3 bedroomed villa at The Kamulea, on arrival we were delighted with our choice of accommodation and the size of the villa, it had everything one could want to spend a luxurious holiday, to have breakfast brought to your villa everyday was a plus and apart from the odd occasion the staff (who incidentally were lovely) came back to collect the dishes and cleared up after us all. The grounds were beautifully tended to daily by the gardener and the complimentary spa treatments were a fantastic bonus. As the holiday progressed it was apparent though that the villa was indeed in need of some TLC as certain items of furniture were either worn, ripped or stained. It is also fair to say that the contents of the information book provided in the villa were not totally accurate or could be wrongly interpreted somewhat such as the mobile phones that could be "borrowed" by clients to enable them to contact the hotel when they were ready to be picked up by the hotel "shuttle service". Firstly we asked for one of the mobiles and was initially told there wasn't any, then the second time we asked we were advised the cost was IRP100.000, and most of the times that we requested the "shuttle" it wasn't available as it was at the airport, but on saying that one of the occasions that it wasn't available the hotel did pay for a Taxi to take us out for dinner. On the whole we did have a fantastic holiday at The Kamuela and we hope to return there again one day, maybe the fact that it has recently been taken over from the Aston Villas means that a refurbishment is planned for the near future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I must admit - I never write reviews for a hotel - but this place is worth the effort.
We stayed in Villa No 7, the most recently renovated villa. The place is beautiful. Its a very small hotel - only 7 villas and 12 hotel suites - and so very personal. The staff always have a friendly hello for you any time of day or night. The decor is modern and fresh. The gardens are beautifully maintained. It is just a lovely environment.
Being located at the southern end of Sanur - it is very quiet - but not boring. Plenty of restaurants and shops. And the hotel transport will take you to Sanur centre for free (or they will pay a taxi to take you there). Kuta / Legian / Seminyak are only a taxi ride away - costing between 60-80,000 rupiah - if you are craving noisy traffic!
The massages at the hotel spa are wonderful - and don't cost that much.
The only issue that I has was that the water in our private villa pool was a bit too cold. But that is nitpicking - I used the hotel pool if I didn't want to chill my precious little toes.
Cannot recommend Kamuela highly enough. We are heading back there in December.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Just want to share to everyone regarding our fantastic stay at Kamuela Sanur, we stay 3 nights at Suite room which very huge room, complete with private jacuzzi and comfort bed.
Staff very excelence and they have 10 choice of breakfast.
I am join Balinese night dinner with seafood grill, very delicious food.
Very recomended this place.

• Stayed June 2011
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2011

My wife and I have been to Bali twenty times or more and this property is well worth the visit. We had villa 4 which is a 1 bedroom pool villa and the villa has everything that you could wish for,180 sq metres of space, lovely lounge/ dinning area, the rain shower isa great experience. The staff are excellent and always ready to help. The location of the villas is ideal just a quick stroll through another property to the bwach walkway and you have the street if you prefer. We have just booked 2 pool villas for October for ourselfs and family, it is something that we are looking forward to

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glenn W
Rihendra, General Manager at Kamuela Villas and Suite Sanur, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear Glenn,
Thank you very much for your great review regarding our one bed room villa which complete with outside shower and rain shower, very happy to know you and family very enjoyed stay with us. Will see you again on October and you must try new experience by try our Balinese massage at AUM Spa and Wellness center, I will give special offer for this treatment.

Cheerrss