“Budget facilities, ultra friendly staff and guests”
Review of Swastika Bungalows

Swastika Bungalows
Ranked #38 of 79 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I stayed 2 x weeks at this resort, and for a budget price i was very pleased with what I chose. A handy central location, 100M to Hardy's supermarket, 5 x mins to the beach and boardwalk.
Breakfast has been covered by others contributors, but the food in Bali is not a crowd puller anyway.
All guests receive 20% discount on food only at their restaurant 2 x doors down.
The swimming pools very never too busy even though the complex was full.
Shrubs and plants galore, so although no open spaces were available, a sense of privacy and intimacy prevailed.
Bathroom a bit tired but hot water 24/7. (watch out for temp fluctuations!!)
TV only had local channels so no good for foreigners who cant speak Indonesian.
Fridge was handy for chilling you own beer to have on your terrace at 5pm where I would chat with my room neighbours who were doing the same thing.
One thing I was absolutely grateful for, I am in a wheelchair and one of the back canes snapped completely while I stayed there. Within an hour, the maintenance staff had "jury rigged" this serious problem, and the chair lasted me right through the remaining 3 x weeks of holiday. Although not technically wheelchair accessible, the property is very wheelchair friendly and I coped on my own.
Spacious room which was clean and cool with the tile flooring.
Watch for the giant snails at nighttime.
I would rate this a 1 or 1.5 star property.
Highly recommend for those on a budget, or those travellers who don't require 1st class facilities.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed September 4, 2009

+ good location for the price - 5 mins walk from beach (but quite cheaper than on-beach hotels) and on street with plenty going-on.
+ triple room at a good price
+ the grounds and two pools were good although the furniture around the pool was looking a bit old
+ fridge in-room
+ mosquito repellent unit provided
+ 2 pools including a kid-sized
+ friendly staff; manager was very helpful arranging transport for us

= breakfast was ok (smallish "american buffet") but nothing special, met expectations for the price
= no internet PCs but I think it had wireless. Plenty of internet cafes nearby.

- The one thing we really didn't like was that the breakfast tableclothes were quite dirty on our 1st day. They were changed next morning but not again during rest of our few days there. Also paint peeling off walls higher up in restaurant. These were offputting and would be easy for the management to fix.
- generally it is showing it's age, the bathroom very old looking, room plain but ok
- hot water pressure in room was low

I'd recommend it, but only just, assuming like us you feel you are getting a good deal on the room rate. If you are fussy you may find reasons to complain and better go elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Just came back from Bali yesterday. I have already decided to give a review while I was still in Bali.

Facilities-wise, the room is large, the bathtub is clean and I like the serenity of the place. The aircon and shower condition is good. Our room is on the 2nd floor overlooking one of the pool and there are some bamboo chairs around the front door. Which is nice for us to relax and playing cards..

Staff-wise, you will meet a lot of friendly faces and greetings when you walk around the hotel. Their service level is praiseworthy especially from the team of masseuses from JB Salon and Spa. They are willing to start the business an hour early to cater to our requests for massage therapy as we need to leave for the airport by noon. That's excellent service in my context.

Food-wise, the breakfast is a bit lacking though. But with the price you pay, this is still considered a decent meal. There is a Swastika Restaurant outside the main road which serves nice dinner. The price is reasonable, and there is a discount voucher provided by the hotel to offset some cost.

Overall, I would grade this hotel 4 stars.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank ngbonbon
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Pretty basic and a wee bit tried looking but the welcoming staff made up for that. They also gave us discount vouchers for their restaurants, had the best curry ever. Basic but clean rooms. Close to shopping area on main street but still quiet, easy walk to beach. Worth a stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2009

For us a night was more than enough !!

After a night´s stay we decided to look for another, better value hotel, and plenty of these can be found in Sanur. So before staying in this place check first carefully the room, and if possible, upgrade it to superior since standarts rooms like ours were quite simple at the best.

Although the common facilities are good enough: two nice swimming pools surrounded by lush garden, average restaurant and bar, quiet location although a bit far from the beach, .... Our was room was rather shabby : terribly unconfortable beds, unbearable smell of mould coming from the windowless bathroom and spreading through the room, disgusting and filthy bathroom, ...

I think there are better places around or at least check te room first if staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2009

We stayed at the Swastika Bungalows for 8 nights in July and really enjoyed our stay, one thing to point out, the accommodation is basic and quite tired looking but for the price we paid I was very happy.
It is about 5 mins walk from the beach, there are plenty of shops and restauranets all around, breakfast is just adequate however there is a lovely place called Smorgas Cafe over the road where you can buy lovely breakfast items.
The pool area was lovely with beautiful trees and flowers around , you can get pool towels clean every day.
The room although basic , I have to say was spotless, all in all this is great place for the price paid.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shirleyVManchester
Reviewed August 6, 2009

I loved Swastika Bungalows and was upset I could only stay 2 nights. The room was clean, a/c, spacious and great value. As a single traveller it was 350 000rp (£22) and was 450 000 rp for 2 persons. The room had 2 double beds and from talking to people this is standard. The pool was large and I managed to get a sunbed both days and towels are available from the bar. I ate lunch at the pool and the food was good. It is about 5 minutes to the beach and the locations is close to bars, restaurants and banks. The staff were friendly and I enjoyed the surprise welcome cocktail. The breakfast was great a choice of fried eggs, omlettes or pancakes plus juice, tea, coffee, fruit, toast and croissants. I loved my stay at Swastika and when I left Bali I sent my friends to stay there. I hope they had as good a stay as I did. Sanur is quieter than other towns in Bali but I enjoyed the relaxation and not too many tourists arounds.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo