“Pleasant surroundings, helpful staff”
Review of Swastika Bungalows

Swastika Bungalows
Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
world
“Pleasant surroundings, helpful staff”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at Swastika about 8 years ago and liked it then. It has now improved and I enjoyed my stay there. I stayed in a Deluxe room which was newly refurbished and looked over one of the pools. The room and pool were great as was the staff. The location isn't perfect but it's pretty good. I did think the price was a bit high. On this visit I stayed in a much superior room at a different hotel nearer the beach for $13 a night less.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room looking over the new pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gypsymaman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Loved my stay here. The room and staff were lovely. The pools and surroundings were perfect for what I wanted. The breakfast but could be a little better. But for the price it was fine.
Am planning on trying to book here again soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jubillee
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stopped here on my way to Australia, after booking in and sorting out our rooms which were spotlessly clean and more than adequate we went to dine at the restaurant, the food was stunning, the service was impecable and the entertainment was brilliant. After we had dined we finished the night off in the pool, being sat outside in the warm night air enjoying a few drinks with good company was a very pleasant and memorable experience that will stay with me for a very long time, if I'm ever fortunate to be in this beautiful part of the world again I'll definitely be stopping and dining here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank James G
Bratislava
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Swastika is a very stylish and comfortable hotel where you can meet nice people from all over the world and make friends with them, people are more open maybe because of the bungalow style of Swastika - you spend most of your time outside or at the swimming pool and this is easier to speak with others and change experience.
We were very satisfied and would come back anytime, room was comfortable and garden marvellous! Breakfast was OK, you can choose what you want. Staff was very nice, nothing was a problem. Widhie and Eddie, thank you!
My advice: before buying souvenirs or clothes in the street market, just consult the real price at the Hardy s shopping centre - you willl be very surprised!

Room Tip: We prefer standard room, it is stylish and more authenitic than the newest De Luxe rooms, however, t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was my second visit to the Swastika Bungalows and once again I was very happy during my stay. Okay, it isn't a 5 star hotel and the rooms are fairly basic but the real charm of this place is down to the lush green surroundings and the fact that it is located well off the road. There are 3 nice clean pool areas to hang out by if you can't face the walk to the beach. Location is good, it's right in the middle of Sanur, near ATMs, supermarkets, shops etc. Breakfast is basic but fills you up. All the staff have been very friendly. Our room had an openair bathroom which wasn't as mozzie infested as i'd expected. I'm sure you could find more luxurious hotels in Sanur but you get what you pay for. We could have done with a couple of extra towels. For our wallet it was the right place and i would come again.

Room Tip: get a pool side room and invest in the AC as the fan isnt enough and its really warm and sticky in t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bwk_michael
Wokingham
Reviewed October 1, 2012

There are elements of all the reviews on the Swastika Bungalows that have a ring of truth to them. For me, the place was a bit frustrating as, for a bit of care and attention, the hotel could be so much better. Firstly, the good bits. The location is excellent for the shops and local restaurants; you only have to walk to the end of the entrance driveway to be in the middle of everything you need. The beach is also only about 5 minutes walk away down a side road almost opposite the hotel. The beach itself is huge, stretching for what seems miles, with lots of restaurants and cafes. Overall, I think Sanur offers far more than Kuta or Legian in terms of peace, local atmosphere, facilities and civilised tourists. We had a standard room at $58 which was very large and spacious and the aircon worked well, if a bit noisily. The breakfast was ok if nothing to write home about, with a limited but acceptable choice of food. The pool bar was very nice, with reasonable priced food and drinks. We had lunch there twice and also tried a couple of cocktails that were only about £2.30 when converted to the sterling price. Wifi worked really well in the room and was free. More expensive hotels charging extortionate wifi rates should take note. The staff were mainly lovely and so polite. Nothing was too much trouble. Choice of TV channels was not bad too, though it had none of the channels such as Star which covered most of the major sporting events. Nonetheless, it was nice to always be able to watch BBC or CNN if we wanted. We were in a room on the first floor before and after our side trip and the terraces outside the rooms were large, light and lovely with two chairs and a table under a nice roof. The pools were lovely and the whole place very peaceful, other than the crowing of a few cockerels in the early morning. The spa prices, although I didn't use it, were very reasonable.

Now the bad parts. The mattress was simply awful. It was hard and made our backs ache. It was not as bad, however, as the pillows, which were ridiculously hard. There were also only 3 provided, so that was inadequate when we needed two each. The towels provided, while they were changed every day, were pathetic little scraps that barely reached round our not particularly oversized bodies and were a grubby looking shade of off-white. The decor left a lot to be desired. As I said we had different rooms before and after a separate side trip leaving from Bali and in both cases the bathrooms were ugly and outdated, with showers that were fixed too low, with no curtain or screen of any sort. To avoid flooding the floor extreme care had to be taken, by sitting in the bath. In the first room, the sink had a plug attached by string that didn't fit. The toilet seat was green while the pedestal was blue, and the bath and sink were similarly mismatched colourwise. There was obvious maintenance that needed doing to the outside of some of the buildings, although overall the effect of the traditional building design is very pleasing and the gardens are beautiful. The paths and surrounds could, however, do with some maintenance in terms of replacing broken paviers which currently provide a somewhat uneven surface to walk on in places.

We did see that there were some more modern looking rooms and if we went back I would consider booking one at the right price because, overall, I think that for a budget hotel the place offers decent value, especially given the facilities onsite. I would just hope that the hotel considers spending some money on updating the older rooms and making them into a more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing place to stay. This hotel could be made into something very good that would be worth paying more for if all the rooms could be brought up to the right standard.

Room Tip: Suggest the newer rooms may be worth considering if you are not on a tight budget.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beachluvver
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Before I booked my standard room at the Swastika I read all the booking site reviews, and the reviews on Trip Advisor. Many were favorable and many were passionately not. For my requirements as a solo business traveller all I needed was wifi, a half decent pool and a place to sleep. I thought ‘how bad can it be really?’. Well, it can actually be pretty bad. The room had bars over the window, the bathroom pretty shabby repair although neither of those bothered me too much. What did bother me was the uncomfortable foam mattress and the rock hard pillows. I actually had to buy a pillow that was not like a sack of cement. I am no princess, I can rough it, but that was really sub-standard. I’ve slept in one star places with comfy beds, the swastika really needs to lift their game. It seems they have put all the money into the rich, delux section and none at all into the standard rooms. The breakfast was not good either. Croissants like leather boots. Don’t bother! The best part of my stay was the spa. Extremely talented massage staff at fantastic prices. I highly recommend doing that! Over all I would say don’t book a standard room. Even if you book a delux, there are nicer places in Sanur for less.

Room Tip: Don't book a standard, if you are thinking about a delux, first compare with other hotels!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business