“Don't waste your precious time, there are far nicer places to stay in Sanur!”
Review of Swastika Bungalows

Swastika Bungalows
Ranked #39 of 82 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Before I booked my standard room at the Swastika I read all the booking site reviews, and the reviews on Trip Advisor. Many were favorable and many were passionately not. For my requirements as a solo business traveller all I needed was wifi, a half decent pool and a place to sleep. I thought ‘how bad can it be really?’. Well, it can actually be pretty bad. The room had bars over the window, the bathroom pretty shabby repair although neither of those bothered me too much. What did bother me was the uncomfortable foam mattress and the rock hard pillows. I actually had to buy a pillow that was not like a sack of cement. I am no princess, I can rough it, but that was really sub-standard. I’ve slept in one star places with comfy beds, the swastika really needs to lift their game. It seems they have put all the money into the rich, delux section and none at all into the standard rooms. The breakfast was not good either. Croissants like leather boots. Don’t bother! The best part of my stay was the spa. Extremely talented massage staff at fantastic prices. I highly recommend doing that! Over all I would say don’t book a standard room. Even if you book a delux, there are nicer places in Sanur for less.

Room Tip: Don't book a standard, if you are thinking about a delux, first compare with other hotels!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank wildemms

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed here as part of a package - so did not pick this accommodation. Despite some trepidation because of negative reviews we found the Swastika an excellent base, the staff very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was fairly basic - eggs & pastries - but not inedible. We stayed in Room 54 (in the older part of the hotel) on the first floor with our own covered veranda. This was excellent if you want the sun from dawn till dusk. With all of the foliage the ground floor rooms appeared fairly dark in comparison. The newer part of the hotel seemed a good bit more 'open'. We requested the same room 54 for the return leg of our trip and this was granted. However it soon became clear that the air con was faulty. Despite best efforts to repair it we were moved, without fuss, next door to room 56 - also good for all day sun. The hotel has 3 pools - 2 small, but adequate, and a larger pool & bar in the new section.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 54 (in the older part of the hotel) on the first floor with our own covered verand...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have been visiting this hotel for the last 22 years and have seen many improvements - they now have de luxe rooms as well as the standard and superior. We normally stay in a standard/superior room which is a reasonable size with en suite - these rooms compare favourably with the Griya/Besaki/puri and many others on the strip. Please bear in mind that this is a budget hotel and the colours of the bathroom fittings don't always match, but they are cleaned everyday and the towels and sheets are changed every day. You can have a conrinental or American breakfast with includes fruit juice, toast (brown or white) eggs done any way with bacon. pancakes, black rice or noodles or savoury rice and then fruit and tea or coffee. This for a budget hotel is really something. The only thing missing in the rooms is an electric jug. The staff are very friendly and helpful from the desk to the cleaners to the restaurant and the spa. We will be back again for another month in December. You have to book in advance. The new de luxe rooms are always booked out and the pool is beautiful..

Room Tip: Most of the rooms overlook a pool - there are 3. I would go for the pool at the coffee shop or the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tmackie2
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here for the first time in May. Whilst the resort itself has an older section (where we stayed) and a newer section (which is double the price), it's in a great location and the room we had was enormous. Housekeeping was excellent, with clean sheets and towels provided on a daily basis (without having to ask) and anything we asked for was quickly provided. Breakfast was included, and we enjoyed their wonderful banana pancakes most mornings, varying the menu with eggs (any way you like) and mixed fruits with plenty of tea and coffee included. They don't have a restaurant as such for lunch or dinner, but you can order the best spring rolls in Bali (with fries) at the new pool bar. They also do other basic snacks. Careful you don't burn your elbows on the bar's granite/marble surface. It gets dangerously hot! The staff are lovely, very friendly and, as with most Balinese, we expect to go back in two years and they'll all remember our names. For sheer good value, you can't beat this place, and the location is central to everything. Whether we wanted to go north or south in Sanur, we climbed in a taxi and got to our destination without exceeding the flag fall. Some seriously good restaurants within walking distance. Looking forward to going back in 2014.

Room Tip: We had enormous windows in our room, which allowed a lot of light in. Next time we go I'll ask...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My first trip to Bali, and my wife, the brains of the operation had visited Obud last year with a friend. She had come into the Swastika Bungalows on a day trip to Sanur. When I said I was going to tack on a week in Bali at the end of a business trip, she said, check out the Swastika. I'm glad she did! While nothing to look at from the outside, once you're inside the compound, the craziness that is Sanur could be miles away. There are three pools, the newest and largest is the nicest. The staff are very friendly, and attentive. I had a bungalow with fan cooling, on the economy side of the property that was really comfortable for one. Now, that said I wouldn't have stayed in one of these if it were my honeymoon, but hey, for a week or R & R, it was great! I can highly recommend this place for any first timer to Bali.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alisdair S
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We made a last minute travel change and our favorite hotel was booked so we scoured the area and the Swastica came up. The pricing was good but the reviews were not great.......then we noted there was an old and new section to the hotel. We booked a new delux room with an extra bed (2 adults and 2 children under 3 years) and hoped for the best.
We arrived and the entrance was a narrow driveway that opened to a open air reception area, if the attitude of the staff was anthing to go by this would be a fantastic stay. The staff were some of the friendliest and most helpfull we had encountered in Bali. We were taken to our room, through the lush gardens, narrow pathways and past the older bungalows. The pathway gave way to a massive pool with a fantastic swimm up bar. The pool had a fantastic kids pool and a lip around the main pool that was knee deep and about 3 meters wide, this area proved a great area to laze in the pool and keep the kids close by. The pool itslelf was, dark blue, tile lined, super deep and always a great temp. It had plenty of day beds, and shaded areas. The resort also had 2 other pools but this was our favourite, there was another smaller pool that would be great for private sun baking and a quite read or snooze. The swim up pool bar is great and the pricing is the same as on the street..............awesome.
The room its self was perfect, I spoke the staff and they are only about 8 months old, huge rooms, great beds, awesome balcony, cold air con, bathroom was fantastic and top notch. The cleaning was spot on and impossible to fault. There was no safe in the rooms but a free safety deposit box was provided at reception.
I looked at the older bungalows and for the price I thought they were fine, just a bit old and as such looking dated but still had everthing you need or could want.
The hotel is about a 5-10 min walk to the beach and right in the middle of some great eating spots, one of our favorites was Wyans right out the front, dirty and dodgy but an awesome local feed for little $$$$.
WE WILL STAY AGAIN.........LOVED IT HERE and am planing the next holiday here already.......we have a ne Sanuar favorite hotel.
The Moore's

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mizerpunk
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for 3 nights in July 2012 in a standard room with AC (n.79) for 58US$ per night.
Pros : location is good: 5-10 minutes from the beach, close to markets (Hardy’s and Coco Mart), restaurants and authorized money-changer (beware at non – authorized ones : they always try to cheat you!); very nice and well kept gardens with flowers and trees; three nice small pools with lots of sunbeds; pool towels provided; all the staff is kind and helpful; good breakfast (your choice of eggs with bacon and tomato, bread, pastries, jam, noodles, fruit, juices) served at the terrace overlooking one of the pool; the room is large and clean: good king-size bed, 2 bottles of water every day, mini-fridge, good wi-fi, TV; free safe at reception.
Cons: bathroom and room furniture very old and run down: they need renovation!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple