“Lovely place, lovely staff, lovely gardens - Poor rooms”
Review of Bumas Hotel

and 1 more site!
Bumas Hotel
Ranked #67 of 79 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I had a pleasant stay in the Bumas for 10 days as part of a package holiday.

The Bumas is not really a hotel at all. It is a bed and breakfast establishment with very basic facilitiies. A hotel would have a bar, a proper restaurant, fridges in the rooms and decent TV's. My room was very clean as were the bedding and towels. The bedding and towells are old, but they are clean. The pillows were shabby and smelled a bit of other peoples occupation. On 4 occasions I had no hot water, including my arrival night, which was not pleasant after travelling for 31 hours. The water pressure was pretty poor from the shower, which seemed a bit odd given that the basin tap was like a geyser.

The staff are simply wonderful and are very sweet and helpful. They always have a smile for you and if you have a problem they are very adept at handling it for you. The amount of times I saw people having a moan abouit the breakfast begars belief. The kitchen staff must be at their wits end having to constantly deal with this problem. I really felt sorry for them. The breakfast was fine for me as all I usually eat is fruit and toast which is always available.

The Bumas is in a great location and has one of Sanurs most famous restaurants at the end of the street. I ate their several times and the food is good and service excellent. A little further along the street to the right of the Bumas their is a little shop and restaurant. Their is also a sweet lady who does laundry at incredibly cheap prices. Look for the 3ft high white board leaning againat a wall listing the laundry prices. To the right of that is an archway leading to private housing. Just go in through the arch and ask the 1st person you see "laundry?" and they will point you in the right direction. A shirt and pair of trousers cost me 50 pence (GBP) and was perfectly cleaned.

The Bumas is in a great location and it is very quiet. The gardens and swimming pools are quite beautiful. The staff are great but this is all let down by the way this place is being run. I would have been happy to have paid a little more for my holiday just to have some better facilities. Such a shame and such a waste. Hopefully a lottery winner will buy it and impove things. I hope so, because the staff deserve better.

Room Tip: Upper floors have larger rooms. No rooms are anything special.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank rascal2016

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Returned from The Bumas 08.11.11,enjoyed our time there.Its in a good location,just off the main street close to all restraunts,especially Made's!!! which has really good food with excellent sevice and short stoll to the beach.The hotel grounds and gardens are beautiful,rooms basic,no fridges,no safes and only German speaking tv.The staff are very friendly and helpful.Breakfast leaves a lot to be desired,there is toast,rice or noodles and Indonesian pancakes or eggs(only 2 per person either scrambled,fried or boiled :( )some guests had bacon but if you ask for bacon they ask your room number if you have the right number you get the bacon,unfortunatly we didnt get the bacon or an explaination as to why we couldnt have bacon!!!There is a lack of information and notice boards,no menus available for lunch and snacks.Sanur is very cheap to eat out if I returned I would do room only.Dont buy water from the hotel cost is 22000 IDR its only 3000 IDR in the Circle K supemarket across the road!!! Big difference in price for the same item.But what about the BACON,can anyone please explain? We were woken suddenly in the early hours the morning by a crashing sound and something crazily racing around in the ceiling space,bit of a shock,we think it was lizard that lived in that lived in their,maybe he had the BACON !!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CandyDeepcuffs
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Plus side - really friendly helpful and willing staff, lovely reception area and great location in Sanur yet great price

Bad side - Rooms are filthy, my bed sheet had about 8 nondescript stains on it, the bathroom again really dirty and offered a shower which you would imagine at the back of a petrol station stop, a white square no shower curtain or covering, and a very low pressured spout hanging out of the wall.
If i had decided to stay i would have wished my time in Bali to pass by fast, which is not the feeling you want when you are on holiday, it was depressing, thus left asap!

Room Tip: why bother ? you're on holiday, stay somewhere you can love to come back to !
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ScottDUK
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed there for 11 nights from the 12th to the 23rd October in room 151 yes the rooms are a little basic, our tv was very temperamental as was our air con but overall it's set in lovely gardens superb location & the staff were very friendly! However if you decide you need more money after midnight as the safety deposit box is at reception then be prepared to wake the receptionist up!! Agree with the last post they should do something the bar area plus maybe have music while your at the pool?, most restaurants are in easy walking distance as is the beach the other part of sanur by the mecure is about 20min walk where there are another good selection of bars & restaurants plus make sure you go to Lazers bar superb bar staff & they have great bands!

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank Paul R
Reviewed October 12, 2011

After a long trip with problems with duty free confiscation(see Bali main forum)we arrived very tired quite early in the morning. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for room to be ready. Room was 205 by the back pool on ground floor. It was large and spacious, yes could do with a bit of TLC but we have stayed in far more basic in India and Sri Lanka. Bathroom is large and our only issue was hot water ran out occaisionally. As it is heated by gas bottle they don't seem to know when this will happen. Only a minor inconvenience.We only used rear pool as it was outside our door. Few leaves ect in it but not a major issue. Terrace had 2 chairs and a table, more than sufficient. The gardens are lovely and you can see many birds.Breakfast is as descibed, fine and also more than you get in India. I particularly liked the noodles. Fridge I feel should be included in the room price but it is not. Cost $3 per day. Worth it to have drinks on terrace and keep nibbles in. Take a kettle if you like early morning coffee. I feel the hotel could make more use of bar area and perhaps supply a limited menu of food. My husband was ill one night so I obtained a take-away from Lilla Warung just turn right out of hotel. We ate there alot and food was a reasonable price and good. We also liked Cafe Aladdin and Retro. Our only grumble was that on some days a few more sunbeds would have been good, although a few new ones did appear before we left.I would have no hesitation in staying here again. It is in a great position off the main road so quiet but accessible to the rest of Sanur easily.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank norfolknic
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Tidy b&b, room was clean and did the job. Could have done with a fridge and better organised shower as water went everywhere. For the money we paid we were very happy. Sanur one of the better places to stay unless you are loaded and cam afford Nasadua! Would 100% recommend going rafting and trekking volcano. One of the best holidays by far....thank you!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank cotonplough
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Having read some very poor comments on this hotel, I have to say we had a lovely stay there
The room was very big but for just a few pounds they could have made it look really good i.e new curtains and a lick of paint over the air condition. The bathroom was massive with a big corner bath with a shower over the top there was hot water all the time, yet again a little money to tidy it up paint and new grout round the tiles would have made a first class hotel.
The staff were brilliant and went out of their way to be helpful. The front pool was the nicest pool we have ever seen, and spent most of our time in it. The back pool was nice but the water was quite warm. Breakfast was eggs, toast or local food which is what is expected.
All in all we had a brill time and would definatley go again.

Room Tip: We had room 101 which was by the front pool and would ask for that room again.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple