“Perfect Stay!”

Ranked #62 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Sanur
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Perfect Stay!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

There's only so much raving about this hotel I can do without sounding ridiculous. We have recently been to Bali with friends for my birthday and after researching and reading online we decided this suited our needs best. Our room was perfect. We loved that the hotel didn't look run of the mill but looked Balinese. The bed was so comfortable, the room wonderfully decked out and we had a huge veranda to sit outside and relax in if we felt like it.

The staff were incredibly friendly, and as I was trying to book for multiple rooms, were helpful and attentive in the whole booking process. We loved the restaurant, breakfast was delicious and the view to the beach unparalleled. We often walked along the beach strip and I think La Taverna, with is shade trees and white fencing looked the freshest and most appealing. The swimming pool was just the right size and the beach was right there too!

Our room was always clean and tidy, with a turn down every night. We had absolutely no issues, except that service at the bar in the afternoon could have been quicker! When we come back to Sanur we will be staying here again as the locality, service and hotel itself was outstanding!

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe room Number 6. Great size terrace and good size room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Indonesian first
Tyngsboro, Ma
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is an older style hotel with beautiful grounds. They were out of standard rooms so got an upgraded one, with a separate sitting area. The room was nice, with lovely mosaic bath and shower. The sitting area came with an uncomfortable couch/bed with a musty fabric cover that I didn't want to really touch with bare skin. The air conditioner did nothing but make noise so it was extremely hot so it was hard to wear clothes so couldn't really sit on the couch. Had to relax in bed only. The layout was such that you could only watch TV from the couch so that was a problem. Fine, thought to read my book, but the nightstand light was a ridiculously dim energy efficient bulb, so that was impossible. Out of desperation, I removed the oversized lampshade and could then read a bit. There was a cool breeze at night, but no screens and my New England instincts wouldn't allow me to go screenless. But they had a substantial bug spraying event every evening so I suppose that may have been possible, except for when the spraying was going on. The restaurant was nice and the butter fish was good, though smallish. I did put in a request to fix the air conditioner and dead phone, but the ac was not fixed while I was staying there. The phone was, though.

Had to checkout early to catch a plane, but there was no desk staff on duty yet. The security guys and bellboys collaborated and talked to somebody on the phone and managed to check me out. Much appreciated.

Room Tip: Make sure ac works if that is important to you.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jlcwinter
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We are very statisfied with La-Taverna hotel. A very good hotel in term of location, friendly staff, food and facility. A very balinese style hotel. Beautiful pool. The breakfast is lovely. At night there are live band. Near by there are many choice of foods. There are many shops around. We will come back to sanur again..i love bali..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ivorytan88
Sydney
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My partner and I booked through an online system to stay here and received an email confirming the booking. When we arrived at La Taverna, however, the staff said they had no record of the booking. Somewhere between the online system and the hotel there was a communication failure, but the La Taverna staff showed little interest in helping us sort it out. Eventually they directed us to another hotel which they said was "next door" (read: 500m away), but declined to lend us a trolley to take our luggage across or assist us in any way. So no, we didn't actually stay there, but nor will we now ... We've experienced incredible warmth and helpfulness from all sorts of people in Bali, but it's not something we found at La Taverna.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NJSydney

Travelers are raving about these Sanur hotels

Chatou
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The hôtel Is located on a Nice beach. Unilke many others, we coule enjoy authentic Bali dances! The good was good and the staff was alias very kind. The suites were perfect for à couple visting Bali with two children.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

La Taverna is a nice hotel in a peaceful garden setting on the beach in Sanur, however it was by far the most expensive place we stayed in in Bali/Lombok/Gilis and not the best place we stayed either. The rooms are a little quirky, which is great, the staff are very friendly and helpful and it has a great location right on the beach. The breakfast is lovely although the restaurant seems way overpriced. I have no complaints per se with this hotel (although if I had to find one it would be that the towels were rubbish - thin, old and threadbare!) Its just that we had such great experiences with accommodation at half the price or less for the rest of our holiday that this place seemed decidedly average in comparison. Sanur is a good place to stay before your return journey home though as its only half an hour away from the airport.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amarillo178
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This hotel would have been lovely back when it was built in the 1970s--a great location on a nice stretch of beach in Sanur. But the owners have not put much money into maintaining it and keeping rooms up to date. It feels like a place the hobbit would live, with moldy rooms, unpleasant smells coming from the bathroom drain, and pretty Balinese room doors that do not fully close (leaving several inch gaps in some cases, that allow mosquitos and heat into the rooms. I moved rooms as the initial upstairs deluxe room I was given, while lovely in an earthy way, had all sorts of problems--too hot and sunny for the air conditioner to begin to cool, a safe that one could tuck under one's arms and walk out with, windows without screens, and a double entry door with a three inch gap when "closed" (a large padlock was used to keep the door shut). The second room I got was on the ground floor, and was dark, with poor lighting and red lampshades and moldy smell. When I was at the front desk I heard two other customers also complaining about the urine smells in their bathrooms. They were clearly disappointed as the online descriptions of the place make it sound far more lovely than it is. Indonesian friends were shocked when they heard that I had paid above $100 for my room and told me I could have had a real 3 star place for that amount of money. Even the staff at the hotel were apologetic about the subpar accommodations, given the price I had paid. And because I had booked with Priceline, a reimbursement was out of the question. The staff, I must say, was the best thing the place has going for it. They went the extra mile to try to make up for the poor maintenance of the place. They were lovely, polite and more helpful than any Balinese staff I have encountered...but they could not do much about the fact that they are employed in a hotel that has not been properly maintained. For the same amount of money, you'd be much better off going to another Sanur place.

Room Tip: If you can't get an upstairs room, skip this place. Also, be sure to book directly with the hote...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo