“The best swimming pool in Sanur, friendly staff”

Prama Sanur Beach Bali
Ranked #25 of 82 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Just returned back from my two weeks honeymoon in Bali. I was a bit sceptical about this hotel after I read few negative reviews on this site before I decided to stay in Sanur Beach hotel. Well, I gotta say that after few days being there I was convinced that I made the best choice I could possibly make for us in terms of choosing the hotel. We walked in to some hotels around us as well as Hyatt, and did not find anything that would beat our hotel.

1. The pool. I am a water person, I like diving, swimming etc. The pool is amazing, I think it is the biggest hotel pool in Sanur. It is 50m long. The pool is well looked after and every morning it gets cleaned by staff. You get warm beach towels by the pool and can change them for dry ones at any time. There is plenty of sunbeds by the pool as well as on the beach, so we never had problems getting a couple for us with a small table under umbrella, in spite of all the reviews that stated otherwise. I think once a week, they have a free scuba diving sessions in the pool. My wife tried it first time and absolutely loved it. The water in the pool is warm, but comfortable. Couple of splashing fountains at both ends. In fact, they have two pools, a “smaller” one, which we never went to, but for those with kids must be a safer option, it is still a descent size.

2. The beach. After Sydney beaches, I wasn't too impressed of the Sanur beach, and never went for a swim there. Especially after I saw all the scary creatures swimming there during low tide. I saw some locals swimming in the waters during high tide, but I wouldn't recommend this beach for swimming. Any water activities, such as jetski and parasailing is ok, especially for the price they offer on the beach. For two of us, we were able to negotiate 30 min jetski for 350K rupiah, but this is as cheap as we could get with our negotiation skills. There are some ladies offering massage services when you go to the beach, but their prices are twice higher, so beware

3. Buffet Breakfast. (6:00-10:00)The choice is ok, eggs are cooked in front of you according to your preference. Few cats are running around begging for a sausage from your plate. Coffee and tea is served by staff. We had breakfast included in our package.

4. Free Internet. It is only available in lobby. We stayed in a far end block of units so we had to walk down to lobby every time we wanted to use it. Maybe it is a plus, otherwise we would spend more time on the internet than we should have. Nevertheless, the quality of connection was bad, even though i managed to use video skype couple of times, but that's about it, all other times, even the browsing was impossible.

5. Free shuttle to Hardy's market and back. That's a real bonus. We used it almost every day for getting out of the hotel for grocery, massage, shopping and dining. Runs every hour and takes less than 10 minutes to get there. Never had troubles with it. The driver may stop on the way and drop you off if you want to.

6. Rooms. Rooms are clean even though the furniture has some wear signs. We stayed in room 807 which is deluxe room with a sea view from the top 4th floor. We did not see much sea from our window because of the palms, but it didn’t disappoint us. The view through the palms was incredible anyway. We discovered that our room did not have a bathtub. We also found a small gecko in the shower which ran away once the water hit the floor and never appeared again. Ten days later we found another gecko on our bed which wasn’t a pleasant discovery for us, it came off the small holes in the wall used for the phone cables. It was scared and ran away back to the hole, never came back again. The bed was big, but not comfortable at all. Something was biting us all nights. I saw some flees in the bed and the bathroom, but not sure if those bites we got are from mosquitos or flees. The balcony is great, very spacious. Some people leaving comments here complained about aircon, well, we never had any problems with it, and we kept it running 24/7 on the coldest possible mode. Our room had an LCD TV with a choice of 70 channels, so at times when we stayed in the room, we were not left bored.

7. Location. We found the location of the hotel to be optimal for us, as it was very close to all the shops, great choice of cafes, pubs and other services like laundry, transport, massage etc…

8. Surroundings. The hotel has a good choice of cafes, but we found them overpriced. We dined once on the first day, but then we chose to have lunch and dine in the cafes nearby. Everything is twice cheaper once you get out of the hotel territory. Speaking about the territory, it is bigger that we expected, the garden is amazing, very looked after. You can spot some animals around the hotel, such as lizards, frogs, plenty of geckos on the walls, flying chipmunks running on the balconies and palms, cats at the restaurant, dogs at the beach, and I swear I saw a bunny in the garden!

9. Service. The hotel knew that we are on our honeymoon from the comments I left while booking and we discovered a beautiful card on the desk greeting us with our honeymoon. Small but a pleasant surprise. Welcome drinks on arrival, a small fruit basket, air-conditioned service shuttle from the airport, checkin, everything went smooth as promised. We were charged for first 7 nights on the spot, which was ok with us. The only down side is that we were charged in rupiah which incurred extra surcharges on my Australian credit card. Room service is twice a day in the morning and the evening. The staff is very helpful and polite. We had to call a guy to unlock our safe unit, the other time to fix the lights in the bathroom and bring us some utensils to the room. Everything was done very quickly and with no charge to us. Once when we returned from the pool, the door was left open after room service and I informed the staff. In few minutes I had the housekeeper nocking my door and apologizing. He looked scared, and probably risked his employment, so I just blamed the bad lock on the door to avoid causing him troubles. Nothing was lost, so I could forget that.

10. Guests. In general, the public is acceptable. Even though the hotel is big, it was very quiet. No one bothered us and guests seem to mind their own business. Some kids in the pool and drunk teenagers would make unnecessary noises, but again, it is not the hotel’s fault and it only happened twice in two weeks time.

The hotel is being renovated at the moment, which does not cause any discomfort to the guests.
In overall, I think that Sanur beach hotel has everything to offer that we could possibly want and it felt like we were in paradise. However after two weeks leaving in paradise, we started missing home, so it was a good time to leave.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
11  Thank sadikhov
Write a ReviewReviews (2,708)

Reviewed December 12, 2010

absolutely lvely looking hotel lovely grounds etc.. and would be great for kids, other than the other guests who gave dirty looks and stared when my 4 year old wa playing in the pool on the beach etc.. however we cant hold this against the hotel as this is out of their control . . the activities boys were not too friendly or active and the 'activities' often didnt happen . . however the BAMBOO BAR is the BOMB!! its great and Jay the bartender was an absolute star!!! he was great with our daughter and made it a lovely relaxing experience kicking bak at the bamboo bar . . however happy hour only includes beer and wine so beware NO COCKTAILS at happy hour lol . . . sanur beach was a lovely place and the rooms arent the falshiest or newest rooms byut they were good for the price and for me the room is just to sleep in :)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kjpow
Reviewed December 9, 2010

The hotel is very run down, and lack of proper maintenance. I have big problems with the room thru out my 4-day stay...aircon faulty (repeated repairs), bath room water sprinker faulty, toilet flush need to flush twice everytime u use it. Of all these, the hotel refuse to let me change room.

The breakfast is ok. The swimming pool is decent, but forget about the beach. The only good thing is the friendly staff. With the $$ that u r paying for this '5-star' hotel, u can easily get a better 4-star hotel nearby.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BomBom234
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Sanur Beach Hotel is a cheap and relaxing resort to stay. The hotel has basic & comfy accomodation startying at $79US incl tax & a HUGE breakfast buffet! Nice clean pools, friendly staff & lots of lounge chairs by the pools!

Down side:
1) The 4 or 5 restaurants located inside the resort are very expensive! Average price for dinner per person is about $22US, 2 single scoop ice cream cones cost $8US --- located next to the resort (along the beach) are 3 independent restaurants and the prices are way more affortable, drinks are just as good.
2) This hotel is flooded with asupercilious , pompous, snobbish & unfriendly European travellers who think they are better than the rest of the world - typical attitude of Europeans from what I hear and read!
3) This hotel is also flooded with seniors who would be up very early and reserving lounge chairs on the beach with a towel for hours before they actually hit the beach --- though the hotel do not suggest people doing that, people still do it --- perhaps they can't read English very well.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Booked 30 rooms in this hotel for my my families and friends, some rooms can only check-in at 8pm!

No late check-out is allowed.

Priority seems to be given only to the clientele who were having conference at the time when we where there. Certainly we were not, but no worries not thinking of coming back anyway.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank antimonday
Reviewed October 30, 2010

In sept 2010 we stayed a week at the Sanur Beach Hotel and we stayed in a room with sea view (tru the trees we just saw a little bit of the sea). The room was OK, although it might need some renovation, but was at quite a distance from the lobby. If you wanted to walk to the street it took quite a while to get there. The room did not have internet (only available in the lobby and I guess some rooms in the vicinity). The biggest surprise was that the room did not have a bath (only a shower). Beforehand I did not check that because I assumed that a 4(+) star hotel always has a bathtub.

The service and people were OK. That is as long as you did not have a problem. Well I had a problem (with my creditcard). But they blamed it all on me. After I talked to several clerks and managers (and the bank back home) I got finally a manager that looked a little bit further into the problem (and did not automatically assume that the problem is not necessarily caused by the client) and found out that the problem was really caused by the equipment of the hotel and he had it corrected.

I made the reservation through the internet site of the hotel. The prices were listed in US dollars. When I checked out I found that this dollar price is first converted to rupiah. Because I paid with a creditcard this was again converted to my home country currency. This means two time conversion. Somebody is making extra money on this conversion and I do not understand why this ‘international’ hotel does it this way.

Also on the internet site the room price included breakfast (no option to book just the room). When i checked out i found that the breakfast was listed separately (126.000rupia). I wonder if you could have booked a room excluding this breakfast (which we skipped a couple times).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Butchi
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Great food best pool ever plenty of shop close by to buy gifts or tours if you fancy traveling around island the worst thing about Bali is theprice to get in and out the country total rip off.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends