“Good location, Old hotel”

Prama Sanur Beach Bali
Ranked #25 of 82 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We are a family of 5 and we stay in 2 interconnected rooms (no. 625 and 627). The rooms were very, very dated (over than 20 years without renovations). Room 625: many problems - lots of small bugs on the walls, I ask to clean it many times but the bugs were always there - lots of dirty on the walls, lamps, bed sheets sometimes were very dirty and needed to ask to change it again, ants on the toilet, pillows full of other's sweat, there were many nails on a small table... Room 627: no bugs but look also old and also dirty. The 2 rooms had problems with the toilet vases.
The pools were very nice, especially for the children (lots of children in the hotel) and the people working there are very friendly, however, sometimes, not to professional, especially for a espected "4 or 5" stars hotel. The garden is very mature and relaxing. I believe this hotel in the 70's or 80's should as been a charming 5 stars hotel but now is a real dated 3 stars hotel. It is expensive for what you get!
Food is just OK but after more than 1 week you will get tired of that breakfast. The guy from the eggs corner at the breakfast doesn’t know how to make omelet and scramble eggs... long lines for the eggs! Go early for the breakfast.
The guys that are working in the pool reserved the pool chairs very early in the morning (I think someone pay or ask them to reserve the chairs - not fair), so we needed to go there very early, before 7am, to get some chairs.
Always woke up very early because the noises starts around 6:30.
The beach was the worst beach I have been. Looks like a river beach. When there’s low tie there’s no sea! Lots of seawee but didn't bother me. The sand is dirty and very hard to walk. However, we spend there good quality time in family. If you look for a good beach try Nusa Dua or Jimbaran.
The location is very good to and there are very nice and recommended restaurants just a walking distance from the hotel, my favorites were Mago, Mezzanine, Mama Putus and 3 other restaurants that I really recommend near Ardy´s supermarket (6.000rp for a 3 min. bemo ride) are: Ming (my favourite one - beautiful deco and tasty large food), Bonsai and Massimo. I didn't like Casa Luna (long wait for the food, food arrive almost cold, not good tasty and not well prepaired, wait 25 min. for 1 extra plain rice, the curry didn't have sauce and we had to ask for 3 times for some sauce that came afther another 20 min., people were not as friendly as in other places).

Overall we enjoy our stay not because of the hotel but because of the place and because it was Bali.
I would not recommend this hotel, but recommend Puri Santrian (just next door, a beautiful, modern and clean hotel) or Grya Santrian (the sister hotel).

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Catso88
Write a ReviewReviews (2,688)

Reviewed August 14, 2009

My wife and I have just returned from honeymoon after staying at Sanur beach hotel for 2 weeks AI. I kept up to date on the reviews regarding the hotel in the weeks before leaving, and I must say those people who gave the hotel 1 star are just out for a moan so don’t let it put you off. The hotel is advertised as a 5 star which it isn’t. More like 3 or 4 you would find in most of Europe. The staff at the hotel are the friendliest and most helpful I have ever met. Even the gardeners won’t pass you without a smile and saying hello. The Italian and Mexican restaurant serve good food, however remember you’re in Bali, not London or Milan. On a Thursday there is a Mongolian BB which is a must! The rooms are cleaned every day with fresh towels ect. The bathroom was a bit tired however it was clean and had hot and cold water, what more do you need.(If you lay in bed until 11AM every day which I suspect one of the last reviewer did the water isn’t as warm for a few hours). There are plenty of bars and restaurants just outside the hotel and a taxi to other near by nightlife spots are about £3(remember to agree price before getting in).

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johnjamesjohn
Reviewed August 11, 2009

It was our first visit to Bali and I chose Sanur Beach as it had received some good reviews on Tripadvisor, and in the past we have always been satisfied with our choice of hotels through this website.

The Sanur Beach is located beachside and the pool area and gardens are really very beautiful and pretty well kept. However we booked a superior room which was in the original part of the hotel, the rooms are ok but the bathroom was very worn, the taps dripped and we were lucky if out of the 12 days we managed to get warm water 4 times!!

I also felt that the service at breakfast was pretty poor, if you found a table made up ready to sit at you were lucky, most mornings the staff eventually cleared the tables but then you had to request cups, saucers etc and the first morning we sat down the milk jug was pretty dirty and had a dark rim all round it and one guest complained the milk was sour.

I think the mistake we made was going to a big hotel rather than choosing a smaller hotel where I am sure standards would have been better. I looked at the Santrian and The Griya Santrian, The Mercure, and wished we had stayed at one of those. The standard of rooms, and cleanliness were far superior to the Sanur Beach.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Savannahsperth
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We went to this hotel with a party of nine, prebooked (4) interconnecting pool view rooms. I had stayed at the hotel approx 15 times, and was aware that things do not always go smoothly in Bali. My travel wholesaler, My travel Agent and I all rang the hotel and sent numerous emails, to try to get things right. It could not have been more wrong. We got garden view rooms, that backed on to a drain. One family was on one wing of the hotel and the other on another wing miles away. Ok we can deal with that.. my sister booked & paid for a triple room for her three children. But the hotel does not do triple rooms. After a lot of talking they finally agreed to put a third bed in the room. keep in mind the hotel had emailed me and confirmed that a triple room was available. The hotel prices have doubled July 2008 we paid $1825.00 for 11 days This year we paid $3,600 for 13 days. My sister was a new visitor to Bali and this hotel. They were disappointed. We have been coming to this hotel for approx ten years and we will NEVER stay there again. The hotel food was expensive and not very good. The buffet breakfast served cold food. The eggs were the only hot food available. The rooms were dirty and outdated and very tired. I guess with the problems that Garuda Airlines have throughout the world, they are unable to invest money into this hotel VERY POOR STANDARD

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
8  Thank Tania067
Reviewed July 25, 2009

As I write this, the two latest reviews offer five stars and two stars, and I feel that it is somewhere in between.

We chose Sanur over Kuta or Nusa Dua for our two weeks because we wanted a less exploited area, and certainly the hotel was well placed to allow access to both the beach and town. The building clearly isn't new, but it is well maintained (we saw an electrician replacing a stairwell bulb at 10:30pm) and properly staffed and managed - there was always someone there to help.

The rooms are okay - air conditioning works, the fridge is useful and the beds are comfortable. The biggest problem with the hotel was the virtually useless internet service. You had to go to the lobby to get it, and then it was erratic (often didn't work) and slow.

The rest of the hotel was great - two lovely swimming pools, some restaurants and sports facilities. Prices were reasonable - Rp30k for a large beer, served to you poolside. Unfortunately, smoking was allowed almost anywhere, and there were not quite enough sun loungers or umbrellas for everyone. It seemed a very mixed crowd - after Australians, there was roughly equal mix of a wide range of nationalities - we met Poles, Japanese, Germans, Dutch, Chinese, Russians and other British people. No Spaniards - but they have hundreds of hotels just like this one on their own shores.

The beach was okay - wonderful sand, but at low tide, swimming in the sea was impossible, and continual selling of massage, nail painting and hair braiding from locals. [That said, members of my family enjoyed these and felt they were a good service at an excellent price.]

Breakfast was included in our package - not great (eg, orange 'juice' was almost orange squash) but not awful (fresh eggs, cooked how you want them).

We looked in at the Hyatt in Sanur, and it seemed no better than our hotel.

Conclusion: for the price Sanur Beach was a good choice for us, and we were delighted with the positive attitude of the staff and the general friendliness of the place.

Tip: don't book tours. Get a relationship going with a taxi driver, who will take you anywhere for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The hotel is just superb. We were there for our honeymoon and stayed for about 4 days and still wanted to stay longer. The hotel has a very quite atmosphere and you feel very safe driving or walking around the hotel. The food is very nice and service is great too. A special mention for the buffet as it is one of the best parts. Everyday you have something or the other dance or music or anything like that at the buffet dinners. The hotel is very lively and has one of the best beaches in bali. I would always recommend this to anyone without a slightest hesitation. Also you have an indian restaurant just across the street, so in any case if u dont like the food out here u can anytime have a taste of indian food too.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We stayed here on our hooneymoon. A hotel with 1000 rooms and people everywhere. Our room was very old, dirty with blood on the bed sheets and long black hair in the bath room. The aircondition was leaking on the floor. We complained and after we were shown 2 other rooms in the same standard which were also very dirty - not cleaned well. At last we were upgraded to a delux room, which was a little cleaner. This Hotel has not been refurbished since the 70's, so everything is very worn and old. It is a pitty, because from the outside it looks very nice. The staff was friendly and the pool was huge. But it is a corpse with makeup.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple