“Cheerful and helpful”

Ranked #21 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
Bergen, Norway
“Cheerful and helpful”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hospitality and service was excellent without being pretentious. The front desk staff are very accommodating and friendly- they truly want you to enjoy your stay. The rooms were great. The only complaint i could come up with was that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meera K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I went here last October, the weather was fantastic, We accidentally got put in a deluxe room but they let us stay there for the same price as a standard room as it was their mistake, so we were lucky to have an amazing view of the big pool and the beach. Lots of watersports to do, like paddle boarding, kayak and for the brave parasailing! Not so great for swimming in the sea but it was alright when the tide was in. Got a lot of hassle from the massage ladies and shop keepers along the front which put me off exploring a bit. Very help full girl in the reception, she gave us lots of ideas of things to do (Rib ride out to the other islands is a must!) Incredible breakfast with every thing you could think of to eat, we went out to eat in the evening most nights as it was a bit quiet in the evenings but when we did eat in they put in a massive effort to make it special with dancers and fire twirling and so on. The taxi drivers were great, they take you where ever you want to go and wait for you to take you home again, I went with my female friend so we were 2 girls on our own and we felt very safe with our taxi driver, he took us to some great places and was full of info about Bali. Pool was nice and clean and not to over crowded, enjoyed the swim up bar. Would go back here again for sure. We loved the little bar right on the beach with the swing chairs, we spent a few nights there on the Bintang. Don't need to take a towel as you can get a clean on every day, but you need to take your towel card to get one. Wish I had more time to see the whole of the Island, it was much bigger than I thought it would be.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Scillyhelen
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Following on from a week in Ubud we arrived at the Sanur Beach Hotel. It was clean and has a great location right on the beach front. We were on the top floor and received 'Romantic Room Decoration' as it was our honeymoon. Breakfast was fantastic - I personally loved the crepes filled with grilled banana and chocolate! There were lots of sun loungers around both pools and on the beach. I took part in all of the activities on offer - aqua aerobics and aqua yoga were fantastic but in my opinion 15 minutes was too short. I also did the egg painting - a highlight of the holiday. The restaurants were too quiet in the evening for us but we made use of the free shuttle service which takes you to Hardys so we could explore the main street. A fab holiday!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Sanur Beach Hotel is as previously described little bit dated but not unpleasant.
I think it is pot luck with rooms. The best thing to do is ask them to see two or three rooms before you unpack. Deluxe rooms are not rally deluxe by western standards, rather ordinary hotel rooms. I personally don’t believe that it’s worth spending a lot more money on superior rooms, as I have seen few of those in my preliminary tour.
This is definitely a place that is geared towards older tourists and perhaps, families.
There is nothing happening on the grounds of hotel past 10.30PM. Even if you go out of the hotel, not much is happening in Sanur. Quite bars pretty much. You can however have a long stroll along the sea and visit few other resorts that seem to have bit more fun at night.
My only reason for picking this hotel is the proximity to The Blue Oasis Beach Club that hires windsurfing equipment. I spent a lot of time around the club as they serve beer while you wait for wind. Sadly, the wind never came. And I had lots of beer :)

I was pleased with breakfast choice.They cater for most nationalities and there is plenty of it. Omelettes are really good; they are made by lovely lady!
Staff was generally kind and helpful. I had a problem with the safe deposit box, made a call and had few guys replaced it in no time. Strange thing though, you have to ask them to unlock the mini bar if you intend to use it.
Overall, I am pleased with hotel, but believe that it is overpriced for the state of current aesthetics.

So, if you are looking for peaceful place without much activity, go for it!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to see several rooms before choosing the right one. This is pot luck.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Milan011
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Second time staying here and it really is lovely. I have mobility problems (pain when walking and can't do stairs) so am always looking for hotels with lifts. The Sanur Beach is very wheelchair friendly. I stay in a deluxe room because I like that it is a little bit bigger.The things I like:

The staff are lovely and helpful.

The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Plenty of seats.

The breakfast buffet is over a 100 metres long so there is plenty of choice. In fact there is just about anything you can think of from miso soup to pancakes and waffles (yum). The egg lady is very good at cooking eggs the way you want them. Your coffee comes in your very own thermos to keep it hot and it is nice coffee too. The only negative is the bacon is typical Bali bacon. I think they cook it in the oven and it is like billtong. Apart from that everything is thought of. Since we were there previously they have even put nylon on the bottom of the chair legs to stop that horrible screeching noise as people push or drag them across the floor, as no-one seems to know how to lift a chair these days. (Grumpy not-so-old person syndrome) The live bali music at breakfast was very nice.

The gardens and the pools are really lovely and very clean. I don't like kids or the noise associated with them (yeah yeah so shoot me) so I like that there is a separate kids pool.

I love the huge separate shower and no bath. Don't have to do gymnastics over the bath to get into the shower.

Apart from breakfast and a couple of pizzas on room service (which were very good) we only ate one meal at the hotel, on Nyepi day. This was sensational. There was every possible food your heart could desire from tempura to the rarest, most tender roast lamb and beef and delicious deserts. If this was anything to go by the restaurants must be very good.

The hotel courtesy bus is very handy. It leaves every 20 minutes and goes to Hardys. When you are ready to go back to your hotel you know that there will be a bus available from Hardys after only a short wait.

The things that I don't like but can live with:

I think for anyone else the very firm beds would be comfortable but caused both of us (with wrecked bodies) some pain during the nights.

The fridge has to be unlocked when you arrive and the contents are marked so that you can't drink their drinks and then replace them later. The fridge could be a bit colder too and it is very small.

The Non-Happy hour: although a lovely setting on the beach front, cocktails are not included and are very expensive at 130,000Rp each and not that good. It is better to get a taxi (or walk if you can) to the Hyatt where it is a true happy hour from about 4pm and all drinks are half price and the margaritas are really nice.

The Wi-Fi in the room is pretty useless. If you stay logged in all the time it helps a little but not much and very frustrating. You have to go down to the lobby if you want stress free WiFi.

Things to be aware of:

Unless you are an early riser put the "do not disturb" sign out when you go to bed or else they will bang on your door from 7:30 onwards.

Bring a power board so you can plug everything in and recharge everything as there is (as is usual in Bali) only one power point. There is no power point (or shaver point) in the bathroom.

When you ask the concierge at the front door to get you a taxi, check the price. He will offer a price, you can either haggle or ask for a metered taxi, this is always the safest way to go. If he has to call a Bluebird because there are not metered taxis available it is a minimum of 25,000Rp.

Well, that's about it. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Balicool_1
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my second stay here and hopefully not my last. As a lone traveller I feel very safe and secure which is a must for me. My room was very comfortable and on the ground floor, which was ideal as I have a slight disability. I cannot say enough about the friendly, helpful service I received from all staff. The beach is calm enough for children to swim and both pools well maintained. The buffet breakfasts had plenty of choice and the restaurants offered something for most tastes. Early evenings "happy hour" at the Bamboo Bar was very pleasant and relaxing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 133WendyM
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time. Hotel is beautiful: love the beach, pool, restaurants, stuff, atmosfere! Bali is the paradise island and this hotel makes it great! You have a lot od activitis during the day( joga, aerobic, cooking clases, masage...and all for free). Drinks and food also great and not so expensive.Rooms could be cleaner :(

• Stayed April 2013