“Good value if you want to be on the beach but don't expect luxury”

Prama Sanur Beach Bali
Ranked #23 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at Sanur Beach Hotel for 3 nights over Christmas and would consider it average. The direct access to the beach, decent breakfast and good service are outweighed by the lack of upkeep. The rooms are dated and really need an uplift, the AC smell in our room was awful so we'd have to open the balcony door every time we stepped in the room to clear the stench... The restaurants also need sprucing up.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Prama Sanur Beach Bali

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This one of the more difficult reviews I’ve written. There is much to recommend in this hotel, however it lets itself down in many ways. So I have decided to list pros, cons and things that may affect you.
Pros:
•Direct, private beach access (with only the walkway between you and the sand) and a host of beach activities.
•2 large pools, one enormous. Lots of sunbeds – never had trouble getting one.
•The general service staff (bar, cleaning, waitressing and security) all friendly and polite.
•The Bamboo Bar is a rather nice place to have a pre- dinner drink. Good happy hour – though limited to beer and local spirits only.
•Lots of cheap eating options within very easy walking distance of the resort (less than 5 minutes).
•We arranged a private cooking class when there. The kitchen staff were amazing. Expert at their jobs and wonderful to us. Provided us with recipes to take home and topped it off with our hard work being served to us in Lada restaurant.
•Breakfast was of a very good standard, with a huge range of choice and an omelette station. Food is regularly replaced and always fresh.
•Lovely well maintained gardens.
They were quite lovely to my husband for his 50th birthday, sending up a cake for his birthday.

Cons:
•The resort is looking a little tired. Not so much the public areas, but the rooms we stayed in (deluxe beach front) were anything but deluxe.
•The bathroom was tired and looking a little grubby – old shower screen which kept falling off, furniture chipped and dated, doors which did not shut properly.
•My sisters’ room on the ground floor was very musty smelling and was showing real signs of wear and tear. Looked like several parties had been held there over the years. It really needs updating.
•Sanur Beach Hotel claims to be an “Eco Resort”. This includes bar fridges being locked to a minimal cooling level and air conditioners limited to how cool they would go. This resulted in warm drinks (a waste of our money in buying supplies) and stuffy rooms. We had to sleep without covers due to the room being so warm. They only provide a light quilt and no top sheet. It was so warm we ended up sleeping on top of the covers most nights. I also put some milk in the bar fridge and it spoiled within 2 days. Whilst I appreciate the resorts ideals, I have some minimal personal comfort levels when spending on accommodation. Our sleep quality was poor during our stay.

•Whilst the service staff at the resort were lovely, some of the reception staff were a little on the disinterested side.

Other things to consider:
•The beds are extremely firm
•If a hair dryer is important to you – bring your own. They are difficult to use.
•The drivers at the resort are expensive. Just walk down to the main road and you will save 30-40%
•The food at the resort is fantastic, but like all resorts, pricey. There are way cheaper options outside the resort. Ahh, if only they dropped their prices just a little.
•During our stay, the Fitness Centre and Spa were closed for renovations. If this is important to you, check before booking they have reopened.

Staff probably should check room drawers from time to time. My bedside drawer was full of old left items, including a belt and a diary from 2009.

We had a pleasant enough stay at the Sanur Beach hotel and it was obvious they have a loyal following amongst some. We saw signs of some updating whilst there (ie sun loungers being replaced). Hopefully this will extend to the rooms.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms are non smoking. From what I saw, ground floor rooms in the Kresna wing are in below...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank nediztu
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with my family and I'm very satisfied with the facilities and especially the services! Staffs are so friendly with very good English. Taxi service is very good too. One thing I love from this hotel is the location is nearby the beach. As the sunrise catcher, I'm so happy because in the morning I can go to beach directly and see the sunrise without going out of the hotel :) A lot of breakfast choices and mostly delicious. I forget what type of bedroom I took but it's clean, neat, not really big but comfortable, and has central garden view. So recommended :) NB: There's a bell boy looks-alike Iko Uwais but I don't know his name I just call him 'Bli' :D

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Definitely one to consider. We spent 7 great days at the hotel over Christmas week and enjoyed it immensely. Located directly adjacent to the beach this hotel has great rooms that are generally well maintained.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and there are even bells located adjacent to the beachfront poolside lounges! There is a selection of around 3 or 4 restaurants at the hotel and plenty of good others close by.

Wifi is a little slow and unreliable.

Tip: local beachside massages are excellent and great value. Look out for a lady named Geita and her friends located just past the Puri Santriqn Hotel.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed in Sanur Beacht Hotel from november 1st until november 17th 2012 with another couple of friends; everything was OK; especccialy the service for my wife who had trouble with her back; they replaced the matrass the next day and kindly asked yhe next day if it was OK!
Very good breakfast buffet; nice swimmingpools en poolservice!
We chose this hotel becaus of it's fitness club, but it was closed for 4 months! But they drove me to another club every day for free.
Our friends had never been in Bali before but have been flying all over the world as KLM personal ; they were also very satisfied with the complete package!

Room Tip: upgrade from standard room and ask rooms at the left side of the building (near the Garuda Lounge)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed at the Sanur Beach Hotel for 4 nights in November with my mother, after a hectic 4 nights in Hong Kong. We had a lovely spacious room on the first floor overlooking the beautiful pool and couldn’t fault our accommodation. Robes and slippers were provided, along with the usual complimentary toiletries, tea and coffee. There was a fridge and a safe in the room. All the hotel staff we came into contact with were friendly and helpful. We had a problem one evening when the toilet wouldn’t flush properly. We rang reception who sent a member of staff who turned up with replacement toilet rolls! However once he understood what the problem was, we didn’t have to wait long for the plumber and the problem was soon rectified.

We only ate breakfast at the hotel but couldn’t fault it. There was an excellent choice of juices, fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage, different breads, cereals, salads, meats, cheese, muffins etc. We loved the pool which is large with plenty of sunbeds. The beach is literally 2 minutes walk from the pool and whilst we were there the hotel released some baby turtles back into the ocean - it was wonderful to watch the first one reach the sea and swim off – though one or two seemed reluctant to leave the beach!

We had some lovely meals at Poco Bello (very reasonably priced cocktails) and Retro. Food at both was very good and reasonably priced. We also ate at one of the warungs up by the Hyatt one night, I can’t remember the name but the Greek salad and snapper was delicious. On our last day I had lunch at Bobby’s next door to the hotel which I’d also recommend. For some reason I had problems using the hotel Wi-Fi on my phone but had no problems at Bobby’s and the food is much cheaper than that served at the hotel.

I’ve read some reports of the rooms and hotel looking ‘tired’ but that wasn’t our experience from our short stay at the Sanur Beach Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Gemma1
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Can't fault it really. It's a big hotel, but very, very friendly and efficient staff. Everything works well, and any requests are quickly responded to. We had a Deluxe Garden room, which I'd recommend. Overlooks the lush gardens on both sides. Very, very quiet, so great if you want a good nights sleep. Nice balcony. The rooms are a decent size, not enormous. Possibly due for a renovation, but clean, comfortable. Good free wi-fi in your room. Air conditioning a bit on the noisy side.The hotel runs a shuttle bus to Kuta if you want to brave that place. Also an hourly shuttle to Hardy's in the centre of Sanur. The fitness centre was being renovated when we were there but the hotel provided a free taxi to a nearby gym, very efficiently. Breakfast buffet was good - anything you could possibly want to eat, accompanied by bamboo gamalan musicians. The in-house bars and restaurants are moderately priced. The pools are pristine and warm. The beach is clean and only a few metres from the well kept grounds. There are some lovely little bars and warungs just along the beach path - you get hassled a bit by touts along the path, but nothing much really. Plenty of water sports nearby as well. Shopping in Sanur was better, in my opinion, than Kuta, and a lot less hassle. Overall we had a lovely 8 days at the Sanur beach hotel and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Deluxe Garden rooms are very quiet. Use the free Kuta shuttle to get to Waterbom park - it drops yo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family