“A very pleasant stay but beware the magician near the gate!”

Prama Sanur Beach Bali
Ranked #25 of 82 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Three of us stayed here for 5 nights and were very impressed with the high standards overall. The only thing that wasn't so good was the gym which was stifling hot due to inadequate air conditioning and opened late sometimes. Some of the equipment couldn't be adjusted and needed maintenance or replacement. However the fact that there was a gym was appreciated.
There is a branch of the BNI bank in the lobby which is very handy. The money changers outside offer higher rates but some are very risky. I changed $200 with a young woman money changer opposite the hotel gate. Even though I counted the money twice she still manage to make $60 disappear from the bundle of notes -she must have been a magician! When I went back she had disappeared.
I would recommend changing your money at the hotel as there isn't a lot of difference and it won't vanish mysteriously.
The variety of other eating places close by is great and the food in the ones we tried was cheap and good. A massage near the beach will have you feeling very relaxed. Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank QueenslandPete
Write a ReviewReviews (2,708)

Reviewed June 15, 2011

This was my first trip to Bali, having read some of the reviews of the hotel I was a bit sceptical.
However I was pleasantly suprised, it was fabulously presented (the gardens and grounds are kept pristine) the staff were helpfull and friendly and the two pools/loungers were in good fettle.
I had read reviews that the rooms were dated....this is true, they need overhauling, new tvs, wardrobes etc....and new air con (which although a little squeeky worked fine)
The bed was the biggest Ide ever slept in....and was comfy.Now I dont know about you but I go away to relax, get some sun and take in the ambience etc so, although as stated the rooms are dated the beds were stripped daily and the cleaners kept it just that.
I find money hard to come by so I like to get the best value possible, I will go back...nuff said!!! Hope you find this helpfull

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
12  Thank davetraitorsgate
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the past few years. It is an older hotel but dont let that put you off. The standard of this hotel is excellent the staff in the hotel and the grounds staff are a pleasure. All are helpful and nothing seems to be too much trouble. The upkeep of the gardens and pool areas is to be commended.

We stay in a deluxe room in the Wisan wing. I must admit the bathrooms are in need of an upgrade and the wood floors could probably do with a sandback and polish but this can be overlooked when you see the veiw from the balcony. The rooms are spacious the beds king size. Apart from the two pools they have loungers on the beach.

The rates in this hotel are very reasonable and include breakfast. There was also entertainment a few nights of the week. The area around the hotel comes alive at night and restaurants have live bands. On the beach side of the hotel there are a few restaurants a few shops and ladies who do the massages. We went to Yanti who had shop 8 excellent massage the massage tables under the trees overlooking the beach 60000rupiah for one hour. For a more professional premises and treatment you cant go past the Glo Spa only 15 minutes walk away. Good premises and great prices example 2.5hrs full body scrub/mask/ massage/facial including taxes 450000rupiah. They also have an Australian hairdresser.
I'm sure that if you decide to stay at the Sanur Beach you will enjoy its positon you can have a good walk along the board walk all the way along the beach to the other end with many hotels and restaurants inbetween to stop and have the inevitable Bingtang. Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank candy1Perth
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I don't actually have loads to say about my stay at the Hotel Sanur Beach. I read a bit of what the other reviewers wrote, and what they say wasn't my experience at all. I'll admit that I went to a resort like this with certain expectations as regards the quality of the room, the nature of the pools and other amenities, and the price of things like food on site. All of these expectations were met - the pool and outdoor areas were lovely, the room was a bit on the minimal side but then - who spends much time in their room in a place like this? The breakfast was excellent and included. I had dinner there one night and was much less impressed, the food wasn't as good as the Balinese food I got outside the hotel and cost a great deal more. The price of the room was very reasonable, and they supplied bottled water every day for free (a must in a place where it's not advised to drink the tap water!) The beach front was large and very nice, and all of the staff that I dealt with was helpful, even if not the most prompt sometimes. Internet was available for free in the lobby, and it ran alright for the most part. There were adequate outlets, and nice freebies in the room.

The pools were very nice and well kept, and the poolside area excellent. I used the gym, and found it adequate - a limited number of modern pieces of equipment, but the ventilation wasn't good and it was VERY hot and humid, even though I got there right when it opened.

I found the ease with which reasonably priced, trustworthy cabs were procured to be particularly helpful, and the cabbies were very knowledgeable, if a little bit pushy. As with basically everyone I dealt with in Bali, one just had to be firm about what you wanted and how much you were prepared to pay for it.

The neighborhood around the hotel was nice, and there was a lot of different food options, from cheap, excellent local food all the way to Western-style food that was more expensive but still very tasty. The local shopping wasn't as strong, as it was VERY overpriced for the tourist market, and there were some sketchy money changers around. The money changer in the hotel was very competent, but their rates weren't very good.

All in all, I was very satisfied with my stay, and would happily stay there again if (when?) I go back to Bali.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Unforth
Reviewed May 21, 2011

this hotel is a truly amazing place to stay i cant say enough nice things about it .
the pool,s are nice and clean the staff are like old friends there English is a lot better than my Balinese and i found the whole place to be friendly and happy . the hotel was nice clean and very comfortable the food in each of the restaurants was delicious and always done just how you asked it to be , nothing was to much trouble . the gym was very well equipped and you didn't seem to wait for equipment, once or twice i did have to wait for treadmill but i think that was due to the time of day i was going to gym . so what i am on hols . one thing i did find a bit of a concern is the traders just outside the hotel on the beach they will try to sell you goods at a very over inflated price when you first get there as they know you are not used to the exchange rate so beware . i found if you wanted to buy something what ever price they came up with it was only normally worth a third so i would offer that if they say no there is another shop just next door selling same thing . but the one thing i can say is they were always friendly even if you don' t buy from them . we had such a great time at this hotel we cant wait to get back there this year . we hope that most of the same staff are there as the are just so nice it was a bit like going into a local at home as all the staff liked to have a laug and a joke with you , they did make it a great holiday . we never seemed to have any problem getting sun beds but then it could be due to the time we went as we were told it was very quiet . still cant wait to get back though the entertanment was realy quite good and we did join in with them a few times .
i would advise anyone that the monkey forest is a good day out but make sure all bags and pockets are sealed as they do get a bit over powering . the Elephant sanctuary is also a great place to go so much to see and do and the waterfall is amazing but it is a long drive away and its all up and down did get a bit travel sick on the way when you get there it is a very long walk to get to it as well lots and lots of steps and stairs .

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ade668690
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I recently went to Bali for business and had the unfortunate opportunities to stay at Sanur Beach hotel as the event that i attended was held at that hotel. One thing that I noticed when I checked in to this hotel is how old the rooms are. I definitely felt like time travelling back to the 1980s when I came into the room. It looks and smells like the 1980s. It was dusty and the toilet has that "black spots" of a very old toilet. The acrylic door of the shower also is dirty. And for the price that we paid, the TV is still the old TV, not flat screen, where in Indonesia, for that amount of money that they're charging, TV is usually already the new ones, with flat screen.

I immediately just changed my clothes and then went out the room. When I came back to the room at around 9 pm, the air conditioning was not working very well. It's like it hasn't been turned on in 10 years, the way it smelled stuffy and dusty.

The service was also not good. It was really bad. The staff was not helpful, food quality was poor.

I was locked outside of my room because i was putting the room service plates outside my room, and I went to the reception to get a key and they didn't even asked for ID or asked who the room is registered to. When I mentioned my room number, they just gave me the key straight away. I could have mentioned anyone's room and they would have given me the key!!

And the worst part is that I tripped and fell on the hallway floor because they were mopping the floor but didn't keep it dry and didn't put a "wet floor" sign. So I fell on my knees and it was bruised.

Never again would I recommend ANYONE to stay in this hotel EVER... It has poor quality rooms and very bad service. The worst experience ever staying in this hotel. I will NEVER EVER again stay or recommend anyone to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
10  Thank Bellesister
Reviewed May 8, 2011

The Sanur Beach Hotel was ok. It was clean, staff spoke pretty good English, the pools were nice, the food and drink were reasonable prices. However, this is a large hotel in a great location, it should make the most of it by improving customer services and it's services in general.
I was surprised to be told by reception staff to order my 'breakfast to go" over the phone in my room, that they couldnt do it at the reception desk. I've stayed at hotels where everything the guest asks is done, even if it is not that staff members specific duty.
I was also surprised that I couldnt get a meal beside the pool, or indeed get a meal at 5pm when i was hungry as all of the restarants beside the main one did not serve untill 6pm.
No wonder none of the guests stay at the hotel besides for breakfast, which wasnt that great either. only 2 types of cereal??? not exactly a variety.
I did order the breakfast to go, i ordered 'continental' and got fruit and pastries and coffee. on which planet is that continental?? Not happy Jan.
All in all it was a good base in which to explore Sanur and Bali, but I would stay at another hotel next time to see if I can get a better experience. BTW, the Novotel Nusa Dua was great, and I was always comparing the Sanur Beach to it, the Novotel won hands down in all areas... pity there isnt one in Sanur.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends