“Besakih Beach resort”

Besakih Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 82 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times previously - but I must say that we woun't be returning. The rooms need a serious amount of renovating, bathrooms decor, furniture, AC, floor tiles, linen. It can only be considered as a budget hotel these days - no tea/coffee provided, no bottled water ( water jug filled daily) no complimenarey toiletaries (except soap). Breakfast is only just adequate - fruit 'juice' is cordial. We have just returned from 10 days there - the first 7d ays were in one of the bungalows which was OK. But after we returned from a 2 day trip to Singapore we were put into room 254 - the room face a blank wall - so very dark inside, the toilet ran continuously, the air conditioner sounded as though it was about to take off & the bathroom was crawling with cockroaches. The managment moved us to another room half way through the night & then to another room the next morning. The new room still had a very noisy air con that struggled to maintain the temperature - the pool doesn't look at all inviting & i'm sure is a heath hazard. I have never seen anyone cleaning the pools. The whole place needs upgrading - they will have to do something as quite a few guests were complaining. The position on the beach of the Besakih is the only saving grace.There are plenty of new hotels being built that are offering good prices so why put up with old/worn out rooms for the same money.

Room Tip: book a bungalow
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank chrisde_9

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I thought a long time about placing this review, but in the end I was disappointed with management's handling of this issue, and I felt the public had a right to know.

My fiancé and I were staying at another hotel in late October, and were on the beach one day close to the Besakih. We needed the toilet so went in to use the bathrooms near the pool. Yes, we werent guests of the resort, but if you are discreet it's never usually an issue to duck into another hotel to use the facilities.

While my fiancé was waiting for me, a tile slipped off the roof of the main double-story building and fell on the ground about a meter away. This could have done some serious damage, so the next day I emailed the hotel to advise them. Their response, word for word: "thank you, we will pay more attentions".

A tile falling from a two story building is not a minor issue. My fiancé could have been killed. What if it was somebody's child? A lot of frail elderly people use this hotel - what if it was somebody's grandmother? The entire roof should be checked and all tiles secured - if this has not been done, this is unacceptable. I am going to hope that Besakih management did take steps to check the roof properly, but either way, I deserved more than a 2 sentence email.

Again I am sorry to have to report the incident here, but if I was to hear on the news that somebody had been killed because of a falling tile at Besakih, I would never forgive myself.

Stayed: October 2012
6  Thank KarynJane
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was our 3rd time staying here but will be our last. We were 2 couples and we requested to be close to each other - this did not happen - when we arrived they had us split 1 room at the front of the hotel and 1 room at the back - managed to get 2 rooms at the back not next to each other but pretty close - the upstairs room (which our friends had) smelt of sewrage the whole time - they complained but they didnt seem to be able to rectify or change the room - they ended up buying disinfectant to pour down the drain daily to mask the smell. When we entered our room we placed our suitcases down and there was something under the table - a dirty pair of jocks - the bathroom had yellow liquid running down the side of the vanity with a dried puddle on the floor - this remained for a futher 4 days. The aircon in our room on the ground floor struggled and just didnt seem to be able to stay cool. The pool beds were taken early in the morning but not many in the pool! so only got to laze around the pool twice in 8 days. Sheets towels etc are due to be replaced as they had holes and many stains on them making me wonder if they were infact clean!! Overall we had a great holiday but would look somewhere else to stay next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holidayPerth
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights after coming from legian biggest mistake! We were given what can only be described as a Granny Flat with two single beds. We had previously requested a double bed. They had none available so made us pay $25 a night to be what they called “UPGRADED”. Turns out this room was worse than the first.
The room we got stuck with was dark, smelled of mold,had mozzies and the curtains were terrible and we couldn't sleep past sunrise any morning as the sun came in.

I really see why they call Sanur the “Snore” of Bali. If you are under 40-50 years old I would not recommend staying here. I regret not listening to by fellow trip advisors warning me about this hotel.

The swimming pools as well as the entire resort are in the shade the whole day. Pool is very small compared to many resorts. It was also way to warm, not refreshing and felt like we were in a slime bucket.
The few Pool chairs get taken by all the oldies very early in the morning.
At breakfast each morning we weren’t even supplied a menu of options. The food from the resort was ordinary much better food options on the street.
Dogs annoying, many times I had dogs trying to jump up to my food in the restaurant and the staff not once made any effort to get rid of them.

We were annoyed daily with people coming up to the pool on the footpath offering massages and water sports. Most resorts forbid this but when we mentioned it to Besakih staff they did nothing!

Staff continued to walk into our room even with the do not disturb sign on door.

Hawkers everywhere in sanur and unlike kuta/legian they do not take no for an answer. They followed my boyfriend and I everywhere, waited for us to finish lunch and continued following us , trying to get us into their shops. Wasn't the relaxing hassle free place it's made out to be.

The atmosphere was so bad when we stayed that we spent most of the time in our dirty room.
Ended up having such a bad time we left 2 days early and returned back to legian.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank allie s
Reviewed October 25, 2012

stayed at Besakih 10-15 October, our room bought and paid for via Qantas Holidays. We had the choice of booking a standard room, or a superior bungalow and chose the higher priced bungalow. Price difference was around $80 for the 5 nights. A week before arrival, I e-mailed the hotel to confirm our booking/arrival time and requested an upstairs bungalow room if one was available.

On arrival, check in was quick and we were shown to an upstairs room in a stand alone building which also had a downstairs room. The room was old, but had recently been painted and was reasonably clean. The bed was quite soft and a bit saggy, but OK. The main light in the room did not work. Upon request, we were given a spare pillow each and beach towels were brought to our room. Someone arrived very quickly to fix the broken light. Staff were helpful and pleasant.

Breakfasts were OK, with a small buffet and cooked to order eggs/bacon etc.

Wifi was free and available in both restaurant and lobby.

The day before we were due to leave, we decided to return to the Besakih on our next trip, perhaps staying in a standard room, so went to reception to ask if we could look at a standard room, to help us decide about our next stay. We were most surprised to be told that we had been "downgraded" and were actually staying in a standard room as no upstairs superior bungalow was available for us. We had not been told this upon check in nor had we been given a choice of taking a downstairs room of the standard we had paid for.

I have notified Qantas Holidays of this and am awaiting a reply.

Otherwise, we did enjoy our time at the Besakih and will still consider returning nest trip......but will only pay for a standard room!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cbimages
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was our first time to Bali and to the Basakih. Our room was nice and clean and we had fresh linen and towels everyday. This hotel is well placed with a beautiful view of the beach from the pool and only a short walk to shops, restaurants and bars on both ends of the hotel - the beach side and the main road out front.
Breakfast was good too all we had to do was ask for bacon and eggs and they were made fresh to order and brought to the table in addition to a small but yummy buffet selection of fruit, toast, rice etc.
Would have no reservations on coming back next time with the kids. Good value for money and friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank stacey H
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Rooms are so out of date. We arrived at 1pm to be told that one of our rooms wouldnt be ready until 7pm. Not acceptable. I approached Reception on my own and was met with a VERY rude and sarcastic man telling me that there was nothing he could do and also telling me we were not checkin out until 6pm on our leaving date, I then explained that we had paid for late check out. That put him back in his box. The air cons dont work (we were in 3 rooms) the rooms are full of mozzies. The breakfast is CRAP! The location is perfect, the driver who sits in the hut out the front is wonderful, we used him twice. The Pool chairs get taken by all the oldies very early int he morning. If you are under 40 years old I would not reccommend staying here. I regret not listening to by fellow trip advisors warning me about this hotel. It left a very sour taste in our mouth. I have never come across such awfully rude reception staff in my time in bali. Please listen to this review. I would hate for you to regret your stay here like we did

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends