“Gazebo Sanur undergoing update”
Review of Gazebo Beach Hotel

Gazebo Beach Hotel
Ranked #52 of 76 Hotels in Sanur
Rosebud, Australia
“Gazebo Sanur undergoing update”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This trip is our 5th staying at the Gazebo and we had thought that it may be our last. However,lots happening here with new cottages and upgrades. The staff are,as always,delightful. We stay in the same villa every year. This year some of the villas furniture had been removed. I spoke to the manager and within 1 day the room was exactly the same as previous years (down to the wardrobe that they carried in).
Happy hour on the beach with 18 of our friends who meet here every year is great fun. Walk to restaurants and Hardys supermarket. The Bintang is cold,cooking school at Bamboo Shoots fantastic.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Let the staff know, via email,what your room requirements are in advance. We have friends staying wi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kateandthepensioner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Indonesian first
Devon
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have stayed in Bali for 30 days every year for 20 years and this was by far the worst value and most dishonest hotel I ever stayed in. I booked this hotel through Booking.com. When I arrived the room was nowhere near as good as it looked on the photos. Instead of the bright room with large windows shown it was dark and dingy. The bathroom roof was corrugated plastic which was deafening all night in the rain and leaked so the floor was wet and dangerously slippery. At midday or after there were no towels at the pool and the staff did not care, when I insisted they brought me a dirty smelly towel. The aircon was in a corner and ineffective for the rest of the room. The promised satellite TV was non existent and the internet (in the restaurant only) was very slow. For all these reasons and many more the manager agreed a reduced rate for my stay. However when I checked out he said it was already paid and when I got home I found he had debited my card 2 weeks previously with the full amount. I e-mailed him and Booking.com and they both refused to address the issue. Booking.com really couldn't care less; they said I signed to say that the hotel could debit my card without my permission in the case of no show or not paying on leaving. I pointed out that I was still there when they debited my card but got a standard letter as a reply. This hotel would be great at half the price as it has the kind of tatty Balinese charm I enjoy when I stay in a hotel at $40 a night. However for what they are charging you could get all the mod cons (satellite TV, internet in the room, towels at the pool) in any other hotel in Bali. The final straw was when I checked out the porter took 20 minutes to get my bag because he was stripping the room apart looking for the tip I'd left for the cleaner who had worked well. He had found it and the food I'd left in the fridge for her and a little present I left for her, he had it all in a carrier bag with orange juice spilt all over the present. I won't ever know if he went through my bags as well, he was certainly gone long enough. I presume this is normal behaviour there as the reception staff didn’t ask why he was gone 20 minutes to fetch a bag from 10 yards away!

Room Tip: Difficult because you don't get the room you paid for. Insist on being given a better room, don...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Heather P
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This hotel has been around a long time. i stayed here in 2002 and would love to go back. The staff was so gracious, we got beautiful fruit drinks when we checked in, a kind man helped us get our luggage into the room which had a lovely deck overlooking the gardens, pool, and beach. Everywhere you look are stunning, aesthetic gardens, lanterns, statues and views. The restaurant is adorbale at night with tables on the sand, little twinkiling lights in the trees, and it's also great during the day. I think the breakfast was included back then. There's a nice library type room right on the beach. It's an easy walk to shops and down the beach to the Bali Hyatt and back. I want to stay here when i return to Bali.

Room Tip: Ask if you can see your room, ours was upstairs and I enjoyed the view from the veranda, it felt ver...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Langwarrin South. Victoria. Australia
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Have previously stayed at Gazebo Sanur. So booked 4 weeks there in Jan/Feb 2012.
Gazebo is undergoing major refurb. So we were not accommodated where we thought we would be. We were placed in their "Older Quarter". After 4 nights, bad back from old mattress, poor quality eating and less than accommodating staff we moved on. A Tip to all. Try not to pay all your accommodation up front. If we had done so (29 nights) I believe we would have had trouble getting it back by leaving early. we only stayed the 4 nights as this was the deposit I had paid. Leave this place for at least 18 Mths before trying again. We went accross the road to Tamu Kami. What a delight. See review on this place.

Room Tip: Don't book here for at least 18 months as that is when the renovations should be complete. But c...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SANUR4

Travelers are raving about these Sanur hotels

Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Brief summary:
Location: very good, beach-side, faces main street with lots of bars, restaurants, shops and Sanur food night market is 10 min walk.
Rooms: We've taken a huge room (app 50 m2), with 2 bathrooms (in-room shower and toilet and open air bathroom), very big terrace. Interior was ok,, but everything is run down and needs maintenance. Internet is just in the lobby.
Hotel's territory: You may use 3 pools, but they also look not very attractive.
There were some works on the territory, so not very pleasant.

Summary: not that bad, but there are a lot of better hotels in Sanur for less amount of money. Hotel is old and needs good maintenance.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank UA_diver
Sydney
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Having now stayed at this hotel for the past four years, we reluctantly decided to give it yet another chance, and trust that many of the issues and concerns of the past have been addressed by management and all behind us.
But alas, commitment, quality and service (the Gazebo motto) has slipped yet further down the scale, to a new all time low.
The one time dedicated staff now seem to have 'thrown in the towel' and service and attention is almost non existent, similar with that of the buffet breakfast which is barely acceptable, and one is far better off eating and paying additional, elsewhere.
The recent loss of the northern property and the associated bungalows is unfortunate, as these unoccupied rooms with Balinese character, just add to the many other empty rooms of the Gazebo Hotel.
We note that rooms that we again occupied, have had much of the furniture removed this year, with new 'mini' wardrobes, no shelving or drawers and one is reduced to living out of the suitcase, ...not good, plus bathrooms and plumbing is appalling.
The beach bar and restaurant very rarely have any patrons, other than those using the free Wi-Fi during the day, and lights go out shortly after 9.00pm leaving the Gazebo beachfront in total darkness, being a safety hazard when returning home in the evening.
On a positive note, the location is perfect, and the rooms now have new safes, and if one views and handpicks a specific room and negotiates a fare price, (compared against other nearby hotel standards), you may just end up with a barely acceptable deal.
Don't always think the room you arrange by email booking, is going to be the room you get, as Gazebo tend to screw this up regularly.
So next time, unfortunately our loyalty to Gazebo is well past its 'use by date', similar to that of the hotel.
Management please note...Demolish and Rebuild ....'and they will come'.

Room Tip: Firstly,..visually inspect all rooms available, as they all differ substantially. Ensure you get a r...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank familyofiveSydney
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We received a mail from Management of Gazebo that major changes have been implemented. The cottages in the main garden have been sold to other management. Note: this was the most attractive part of the hotel grounds and rooms.
Who has been in Gazebo over the last weeks (november) and is willing to describe the nature and impact of this? Is Gazebo still attractive to us?

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple