“Reluctant Return”
Review of Gazebo Beach Hotel

Gazebo Beach Hotel
Ranked #65 of 82 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Having now stayed at this hotel for the past four years, we reluctantly decided to give it yet another chance, and trust that many of the issues and concerns of the past have been addressed by management and all behind us.
But alas, commitment, quality and service (the Gazebo motto) has slipped yet further down the scale, to a new all time low.
The one time dedicated staff now seem to have 'thrown in the towel' and service and attention is almost non existent, similar with that of the buffet breakfast which is barely acceptable, and one is far better off eating and paying additional, elsewhere.
The recent loss of the northern property and the associated bungalows is unfortunate, as these unoccupied rooms with Balinese character, just add to the many other empty rooms of the Gazebo Hotel.
We note that rooms that we again occupied, have had much of the furniture removed this year, with new 'mini' wardrobes, no shelving or drawers and one is reduced to living out of the suitcase, ...not good, plus bathrooms and plumbing is appalling.
The beach bar and restaurant very rarely have any patrons, other than those using the free Wi-Fi during the day, and lights go out shortly after 9.00pm leaving the Gazebo beachfront in total darkness, being a safety hazard when returning home in the evening.
On a positive note, the location is perfect, and the rooms now have new safes, and if one views and handpicks a specific room and negotiates a fare price, (compared against other nearby hotel standards), you may just end up with a barely acceptable deal.
Don't always think the room you arrange by email booking, is going to be the room you get, as Gazebo tend to screw this up regularly.
So next time, unfortunately our loyalty to Gazebo is well past its 'use by date', similar to that of the hotel.
Management please note...Demolish and Rebuild ....'and they will come'.

Room Tip: Firstly,..visually inspect all rooms available, as they all differ substantially. Ensure you get a r...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank familyofiveSydney

Reviewed November 13, 2011

We received a mail from Management of Gazebo that major changes have been implemented. The cottages in the main garden have been sold to other management. Note: this was the most attractive part of the hotel grounds and rooms.
Who has been in Gazebo over the last weeks (november) and is willing to describe the nature and impact of this? Is Gazebo still attractive to us?

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ritsd
Reviewed November 12, 2011

To much competition to be dirty, old and rundown....great location, but that is all. Have stayed previously but won.t Again until revamped. To many other updated hotels around now.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank worsnop
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Hotel Gazebo has some quite mixed reviews that are probably leaving you more than a little confused as to what to make of this place. I will do my best to explain our experience there to you.

In all fairness the hotel is a little old and run down in places so it does warrant some criticism. But Gazebo has authentic Balinese charm so many mass produced hotels cannot offere and if you get the right room you will not be disappointed.

We found Hotel Gazebo after visiting many hotels along Sanur Beachfront and got shown some of the rooms. The small 'standard/delux' rooms I must admit were pretty bad.. We would not have stayed there but when shown one of the 'Suites' we fell in love - little two story 'Balinese' houses with tiny ornate doors. It felt like staying in 'real' Bali which we wanted after a massively disappointing stay at Harrads (that's a whole other story!)...

The bathroom was huge and open air - no problems with bugs or spiders (if that kind of thing worries you as it does me!) - offering two showers and a bath. We had hot water any time of the day and although the bathroom could do with a good clean up in general the cleanliness was very good.

The bedroom is upstairs and is the only room with airconditioning (bathroom and downstairs do not) and at first I was a little worried about mosiquitos, spiders etc.as the place is so rustic. But the aircon (which the cleaners let you leave on all day) meant no insects came in. Maybe the odd gecko but they find it a little too cold too so we were left unbothered.

The grounds of the hotel were really beautiful and well maintained, the pool big, clean and again really beautiful. There are actually in total 3 pools in the grounds so lots of space and options. The hotel is right on the beach so you have the option of pool or beach days which we liked and the location was so handy for all the main restaurants, bars and beach markets.

The staff were probably one of the best things that made this place feel so special. They were very kind, caring and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and that makes a huge difference.

In sum - if you are looking for somewhere very polished, modern and mass produced - this probably isn't the place for you. If you want somewhere that is clean, unique, honest and to feel like you are staying in Bali then this place is worth a try. But it really depends what you like.

I would definitely recommend spending a tiny bit more and staying in one of the suites or joglo's rather than a basic room.

One other tip is to try The Little Bird restaurant along the main street in Sanur. REALLY good authentic balinese food and amazing staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 206 and loved it
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank londondriftwood
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I booked my hotel online with friends who have previously stayed at this hotel.....I also paid in good faith a deposit of $140, on arrival at the hotel it was delapitated and run down , and nothing like the pictures on the website. They took us to our room 208, which was a family room. I was horrified firstly at the stench that erupted out of the door, and secondly the state of cleanliness....there were huge spider webs everywhere, the quilt coverings looked like they hadnt seen a washing machine for 2 years, and the general upkeep of the room was a disgrace.
I instantly complained, and was shown another room 278, which although was abit cleaner, was right beside the hotels generator. The next room was 215, and of course this room had been designed for the little people. Im 5'8 and I could not fit through the door. This room was the same as the last two
At 9pm at night myself and friend had to scour Sanur to find a hotel that could accomodate us for our 15 day holiday. AND NOW THE MANAGER HAS ADVISED THAT HE CANNOT REFUND MY MONEY......THIS IS A JOKE, MY SUITCASE SAT IN THE ROOM FOR APPROX 2 HOURS, AND I GET NO REFUND.....
THIS HOTEL, IS A VERY LOW 2 STAR BACK PACKER STYLE ROOM, WITH OUTDATED FURNITURE, STALE MUSKY SMELLS, AND FILTHY LODGINGS.
DO NOT GO THERE.............................

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank joannestv01
Reviewed April 22, 2011

I was really hesitant to book this hotel after seeing all the reviews here on Tripadvisor. I decided to go to the hotel the day I was in Sanur to check out the hotel. Upon arriving, I did notice the hotel was a bit older. The lobby and hotel grounds were also quite deserted (not really a bad thing in my eyes). The grounds are massive. There are many rooms and three pools. The property is located almost in the middle of the main street in Sanur directly on the beach.

I asked the man who greeted me for a room with a kitchen. I was taken to one of the suites. The room was HUGE. The bed was HUGE. There was an entire upstairs devoted to lawn furniture. There were two fridges, a dvd player, an outdoor bathroom and a large sink area with dishes (no stove). I asked for a discount and was given a big one.

The sheets, towels and bathroom were clean. The staff are friendly and really, the breakfast is not as bad as everyone made it seem. They had toast, lots of fresh fruit, coffee/tea, (not sure if they had eggs, I didn't check), cheese, tomatoes, ham and croissants.

My recommendation is to come here and ask for a big price discount. The hotel is quiet (in terms of guests) so you can really get a GREAT deal if you negotiate. My best guess as to why guests are no longer coming here is because Gazebo use to be a grand hotel in the perfect location. Now, it is a bit tired but it is still a very clean, nice place to stay. I 100% recommend it if you can get a discount. Don't pay full price.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank dianahuynh
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We have been going to Bali for many years. We find best time of year for a holiday there is June, July and August as weather is mild to warm, balmy nights and little rain, if any.
We have stayed at a number of places in Sanur over the years, also in Ubud.
In Bali it is deffinately a case of you get what you pay for.
Gazebo has something special about it. We only came across it last year but have booked a month there for July this year.
Whilst not a five star hotel, it has everything we require for a Bali style holioday.
Reataurant opn the boardwalk next to beach. Swimming p[ool. Established and well maintained gardens. Seperate villas for peivacy and quiet times. Staff that are friemdly, courteous and well mannered that are not in your face, but are there when you require that extra something.
One of the major pluses about Gazebo is the decor and buildings itself. Traditional Balinese architecture and furnishings ensure you know you are in Bali.
Price wise it is probably bthe least expensive place we have ever stayed in in Bali, but it does not let us down with the way we like to holiday or expect from more expensive hotels.
Hanging out to get back. 86 more sleeps.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple