“Great Experiences”

Caraway Cooking Class
Ranked #3 of 11 Food & Drink in Sanur
More attraction details
Owner description: Caraway Bali Cooking Class is run by the owner, teacher. In a relaxed garden setting in Sanur you will enjoy the fun classes and the yummy food. Free transfers in Sanur will ease the budget.
sabah
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Experiences”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

It was a family getaway with little plan. We just saw this as one of the top activities in sanur and joint in. It was great but may be not to people with high expectation. I think 4-6 people is nice but if more than that the place will be cramped with more people witnessing than doing the cooking. It is great for our family of 4 ( 2 adults and 2 kids)

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Deana73

Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The WORST”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely disappointed by this HUGE waste of money! Confirmed all details via email twice, including price, menu and pick ups. Not one thing we asked for was done. When we questioned them, we were fobbed off, they didn't want to hear it.

The premises were disgusting, cobwebs, dust, dirt, bugs up walls and over cooking utensils..... Just awful facilities, and almost everything was broken in some way. The only thing that looked clean was the pool!

We didn't learn anything about cooking, there wasn't even a demonstration. The markets were a waste of time.

This is simply a money grabbing exercise, of how many people she can rip off at once! So disappointed I WANT our money back, I didn't even want to pay her.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME

Visited March 2014
5 Thank Heidi M
Carawaybali, Owner at Caraway Cooking Class, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Hi Heidi, Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Caraway Cooking Class. I'm sorry that your experience was not a good one. I don't know what exactly happened because I was not there, but I would like to offer you and your family another cooking class free of charge. Please contact me so we can do a better job for you. Thank you!

Regards,Dewi
Perth
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“What a waste of time”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Where do I start. I don't know how the rating got so many stars. I was lead to believe we booked a private cooking session for the 6 of us. It was advertised as private where the fresh food was purchased from the market. I confirmed I was had an allergy to seafood and was informed the fish dish would be changed.

In the email it was confirmed that the driver would pick up from two hotels. This didn't occur and we had to wait. When we got picked up and delivered to the market all we did was walk around. Nothing was purchased or explained. Even though the lady was pleasant enough we had to ask about specific fruit. If we hadn't inquired we would have walked around in silence.

Upon arrival at the home there were two other sets of people already there. A total of 13 people in a space for 8 max. It was at a home, the kitchen was full of ants and broken in areas. Not to a commercial standard.

Now it gets better. The menu had a fish dish, I asked if they were aware of the allergy and they stated the other group wanted fish and they included chicken soup as a replacement. The only problem was that even this replacement had fish sauce as an ingredient.

We weren't told about the function of the ingredients, just told to chop chop and grind to a paste. Half the people didn't have jobs to do and there were plenty of bored faces crammed into the small space. The meat was pre prepared as well as everything else. I learnt nothing about Indonesian cooking.

When it was time to eat the cutlery was dirty and there were plenty of flies landing on the food. It is all outdoors under a gazebo with no fly zappers. One group were so bored they left before eating. At 2.3 million rupees for 6 people it would have been cheaper to have a meal at a high class restaurant since we learnt about the same level of cooking. An expensive waste of time!!!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank John E
Hi, Jhon,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Caraway Cooking Class.
I did talk to my worker about your experience. She said that she didn't put the fish sauce in the chicken soup, but she did put it the spring roll filling. Maybe by accident . I'm sorry and I would like to give you another cooking class if you would like it.

Regards, Dewi
Auckland
“Great people, great taste but not really a class”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Dewi and her team and great, warm and make a true effort.
However the class itself is more of a demonstration, not so much a cooking class that most would be used to, so if you keen on cooking itself then I would look elseware.
It was great fun though and in the end we had a very tasty lunch that we did help make.
Main concern would be the value, cost us 900000INR (90NZD) for my wife and I. Really compared to other activities this was probably the least value we had during out bali stay.
Later we found our hotel in Ubud offered a one on one class for the same price.

Visited January 2014
Burke, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Learned new dished and made new friends!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I signed up for Dewi's cooking class as it was the best in Tripadvisor. We were picked up at our villa and met up with others at the Sanur market. Tasting fruits and snacks native to Bali is eye-opening and fun. We were then driven to Dewi's house for the cooking class.

Because I am already quite familar with some of the Indonesian dishes, I requested a whole new different menu for the day which is generously accomodated for. We helped ourselves for the complimentary coffee and tea and iced water throughout the cooking class.

If you expect a full-blown cooking class where you get your own station and stove, then this is not for you. Dewi had an assistant, Joe who helps to prep and teach us how to do things correctly. Another assistant in the kitchen who basically do dirty dishes. They are all very friendly and kind and a joy to work with. Even though we don't get our own cooking stations, we all take turns to cook and prep so everyone get to experience it.

We each go back to our villas with happy tummies and a fun experience. I highly recpommend this cooking class if you visit Bali.

Visited February 2014