“This is the best find ever!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mila's Warung - CLOSED

Mila's Warung
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Owner and chef Mila creates back-to-roots Central Javanese soul food with subtle and complex flavours using ingredients sourced from villages close to her childhood home. Highlights include Tumis Acar (Cucumber and carrots fried with korokele and hazelnut), Gudeg Jogja (young jack fruit stewed in coconut milk), Sup Lodeh (pumpkin and long beans in a coconut milk base with galangal and kencur) and Terong Balado (eggplant mixed with sambal). Mila's Warung is a vegetarian friendly restaurant, with a wide selection of vegan renditions of Central Javanese dishes. The restaurant is located in a traditional Balinese house decorated with Javanese folk art. Hours: 12:00 pm – 9:30 pm, Mon-Sat. Closed Sunday. Cash only.
Queenscliff, Australia
“This is the best find ever!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We decided to try this restaurant, even though at the time there was only 22 reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not dissappointed, it was amazing. We will take the cost out of it for now and just rave about the food. It was truely authentic Indonesian, I had the ginger fish and it was suberb. The atmosphere is very warming and the staff were ever so happy. It is a little difficult to find so I would recommend writing the address down and giving it to the cab driver, but dont let this put you off because it is well worth it. You may need to book as there are only about six tables.
We both had an entree and main each and shared 5 small bintangs and it was under $20AUD.
Our only regret was that we didnt find it sooner as we probably would have eaten there every night.

5 Thank JennyGAustralia

• Indonesian first
“Delightful service and food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We had a great meal here, selected from a menu with a wide range of traditional Indonesian dishes with many vegetarian options. Mila is a delightful host, and all the staff were warm and friendly. The restaurant is clean and tastefully decorated - simple but inviting. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Cheap local cuisine, just arrive early or book!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Hidden from the busier main street of Sanur, Milas Warung is small but cosy. There are only 6 tables, all but one were full when we arrived. We removed our shoes and sat on the couch inside waiting for someone to come and let us know when we can be seated. After a patient 30 - 40 minute wait before someone appeared from the kitchen, Mila herself came and cleared the empty table which we shared with another couple as it was busy, although we didn't mind. The menu is extensive and extremely cheap, even by Bali standards. The food was lovely homemade cuisine, but it is worth mentioning to arrive early as by 730pm they were out of chicken, spring rolls, and some other options. The three staff were all friendly, and even called a taxi to get home.

A quick chat with other diners showed they were all here due to trip advisors rating, and I can only hope Mila can keep up with demand due to burgeoning popularity, as there is much potential. Also, the ice served is frozen tap water not bought ice, so pass on ice.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MrandMrsNewts
Milas_Warung, Owner at Mila's Warung, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We view visitors to Mila’s Warung as guests in our home, and we want you to feel welcome and comfortable. We regret that you waited 30-40 minutes for a table and that some of the items had sold out. We will work to improve in these areas.

We also want to clarify that when we make ice cubes, we only use distilled, bottled water (bought from Danone AQUA), instead of tap water. In addition, we only use bottled, distilled water for all drinks that require water.

We are grateful that you visited, and happy you enjoyed the food.

Mila
Australia
“Fresh tasty food, Delightful staff, what more can you ask for.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

My Son and I walked to Mila's for lunch yesterday, rest of the family were relaxing around the pool, not hungry. To be honest, I wasn't hungry either but after reading the reviews on tripadvisor the previous evening, I was determined to go.

The tripadvisor app on my phone told me that Mila's was 620 meters from our hotel balcony...10 minutes later and only having to ask directions once, we were there.

At first glance, my Son was not impressed but I insisted that we give it a try. It is only small, 3 tables in the front courtyard and a few more inside. We ordered drinks and a serve spring rolls, then Mila introduced herself and welcomed us, what a lovely lady, she spent 5 minutes at the table talking with us and then took our order for mains.

I ordered the Ginger and spring onion beef fillet with rice and my Son ordered Spaghetti Javanese. Meals arrived steaming hot and beautifully presented, an explosion of flavour in the mouth, the tastiest meal I have had in quite a while.

Son was thoroughly impressed, as was I, and asked if we could return for dinner.

An Entree, 2 Mains, 2 soft drinks and 2 beers - 135,000Rp (about $14 Australian)

Mila also offered to call us a cab as it was quite hot, but we walked anyway as it was't far.

Overall, it was a very pleasant dining experience and I look forward to returning with the whole family before our departure from Sanur.

7 Thank Aussie_750
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
“Well worth the effort of seeking this out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Difficult to find so I suggest you take a map or the cab will take you all around Sanur to squeeze a few extra Rupiah from you. At £1-50 each way from Sanur Beach Hotel it's not going to break the bank. I ate tonight with wife and 4 year son who's picky. Went on Mila's recommendations and shared a fried beancake to start as a nod to the veggie offerings served with a tasty chilli-tomato sauce, unusual but very nice. Main courses were steamed fish with lemongrass sauce for me with plain rice, wife had yellow rice with chicken and son had the Javanese spaghetti which was also a novel flavour combination but all was finished. Fried banana and ice cream which are separate offerings for desert, which I can recommend as the 2 together are better than on their own. Had a pair of small Bintang and a couple of fruit juices and bill came to £15.

We've eaten at a few of the restaurants near the Sanur Beach Hotel and thought they were great value but this was a lot cheaper, food at another level, service as good as gets with smiles and laughs all evening. Called a cab for us as we left and Mila came out to see us off. Thanks to TA for ranking this number 1 and I look forward to coming back one day and seeing a well deserved plaque on the wall. Service and food of this quality and at these prices shouldn't be missed

7 Thank Cardiff_Blues