“ramen is not so good but the gyoza is good”

Warung Mr. Ramen Gonta2
Ranked #362 of 436 Restaurants in Sanur
Cuisines: Asian
Description: JL  Danau Tamblingam (ダナウ タンブリンガン通り Hardy's Mallの向かいです)バリ島で初めての冷やしラーメン(塩しょうゆ味)とラーメン餃子の店です。
Denpasar, Indonesia
“ramen is not so good but the gyoza is good”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I went to the one near Hardys, wanted to order cold soba but it's sold out so I ordered the ramen. The ramen isn't so good, it is lack of taste and the egg is not so yellow like it should be. The meat is just a few slices and too many vegetables like cabbage, which I don't think it suit with the ramen. The gyoza is good, but I don't think I'll order ramen again when coming here. Maybe I'll try the soba.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jessica S

• Indonesian first
Singapore
“Cup noodles taste BETTER than this! (Visited last evening, 28 Dec 2013)”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for authentic Japanese Ramen, this is NOT the place to be! If you're looking for a salty Indonesian mee soup, then be my guest and eat here. Yes, the noodles (I refuse to call what I ate "ramen", it'll be an insult to Japanese everywhere).

I'm surprised the the owner, a born and bred Japanese, "Mr Gonto" allows such food to be passed-off and sold as authentic Japanese ramen. He has lost all Japanese pride in food and culture (since culture is very much embedded in all of Japanese food preparation).

I ordered the supposedly 'famous' Gekikara Ramen (spicy) and the wife, a 'traditional' Miso Ramen. The decor of this hole in the wall made added to my expectations with cozy tables and Japanese comics on the numerous bookshelves. But, when the food came, we were suddenly abruptly awoken to the reality that this is not Japan. The soup base did not have the correct color of ramen, it was clear, not cloudy. The noodles was definitely not ramen noodles even at the first look! Ramen lovers know that the noodles are fairly thick, and relatively wavy. These were thin, and curly, it looks like the Indonesian mee goreng I ate for breakfast that morning.

Giving Mr Gonto a benefit of doubt (and because I was starving!) I dug in! OMG! Where should I start! The soup was expectedly (from my description earlier of what it looked like) thin, and lacked the robust pork taste of true ramen soup base. My noodles (again, I'm refusing to call this 'ramen') were spicy, yes, Indonesian soup kind of spicy! Closer look, I saw cut fresh chilli in the soup (sorry, I can't use the word 'broth' here). No way! That is not how you make a ramen spicy! You use what we typically call a homemade 'volcano purée'!
Again, if you want Indonesian soup noodles for $5, then come here. Don't, if you have a ramen craving.

My wife's Miso 'Ramen' was worse... Their idea of miso is just to add more salt and soy sauce. Where is the fragrant and robust cloudy broth that you provably can get from a supermarket in the Japanese section?!

We sat back in our chairs absolutely disgusted. Called the waiter, asked where the broth for the 'ramen' came from, the proud reply was that it is made daily by Mr Gonto! Seriously?! He can't possibly be Japanese! A Japanese, even not a chef, will never let such food be labeled 'Japanese', let alone put his name to it.

Just as we were about to call for our bill, two Japanese guys walked in (I not Japanese by the way, but absolutely love the good). Curiously, we ordered another ocha and waited. They ordered excitedly after speaking excitedly to themselves overlooking the menu (probably sharing what a find it was to find home-cooked 'ramen' so far from home. Ordered a beer first, then waited with smiles, appreciating the decor and Japanese comics. Noodles came. They paused and stared at their bowls. Probably at the egg which was hard boiled thru and thru and not the Japanese style with the yolk still soft and runny. They dug in. What a relief to see them reel back in disgust! At least, it is not just me and my wife feeling this way about the so-called 'ramen' (were we getting too picky with our food?). One guy held up the cha-su (sliced meat) at the other and said something obviously not complimentary and slapped it back down in the bowl. The other, in response, took the spoon, scooped the soup, and poured out into the bowl, muttering to his friend. They were obviously furious, pushed their bowls off to the side and called the waiter, muttered several sentences (yes, waiter obviously understood basic Japanese and could converse). The waiter sped-off, came back with the bill, they paid and left.
The 2 large bottles of Bintang Beer almost untouched. I guess they felt so disgusted, they didn't stick around to finish their beer, let alone the noodles.

I guess, these 2 Japanese men, including my wife and I, will not be coming here again.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mark K
“Always satisfied”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

The best place to eat ramen in sanur, always eat here when i had a chance. Their ramen so good, and the price around $5 per item.

Bali, Indonesia
“Favorite ramen”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is our favorite ramen shop, we came here a few times while it was still at Hardy's. The ramen broth was balanced, flavorful and still retains a slight kick in it. The service was quick and the ramen always arrives hot. We love this place!

• Visited July 2012