I stayed at the Griya Santrian for two weeks in April 2011. I booked the trip with my girlfriend through travelmood and ended up getting married at the hotel!
Also staying at the hotel were my parents and my girlfriend's parents. We all travelled together from London. My Sister, her husband and her two children aged two and four travelled to Bali from New Zealand and also stayed at the Griya Santrian.
We had an amazing time at Griya and would recommend it to anyone.
The hotel rooms are arranged in a narrow strip of land which leads from the beach back towards the main road. There are three pools in the ground, the main pool nearest the beach is the liveliest. There are plenty of sun loungers around this pool and on the beach, a swim-up bar and a childrens paddling pool. The second pool is beautiful with a raised Jacuzzi and some shaded areas. The third pool is fairly plain but lovely. The grounds around the hotel are beautiful.
The beach at Sanur is not as beautiful as some others in Bali. The tide was strong when we were there and in the afternoons it was too shallow to swim. At full tide it was still fairly shallow and good for swimming. The sand isn’t the finest and the drop off to the sea is fairly steep. However, the sea is calm thanks to the reef which makes the beach suitable for children and relaxing swimming. It’s also possible to use the hotel’s kayaks to explore the shoreline. I hired a wind surfer from a stall close to the hotel on a couple of windier days which was great fun (cost around 150,000rp). I also hired a surfboard and surfed the reef break at high tide which was fairly beginner friendly. The best thing about the beach was the view, especially at sunrise (I’ve attached a couple of pictures). The bay sweeps round to the left and the volcano looms in the distance. There is a lovely brick walkway running the length of Sanur beach which is a lovely walk.
My sister and her family stayed in a large room near the main pool which is located closest to the beach. The room was very large and the hotel supplied two fold up beds for the children. In the room was a large TV and DVD player which was great to keep the kids entertained.
Both sets of parents also stayed near the main pool back towards the gallery. Their rooms were spacious and peaceful but were showing their age. They were comfortable enough but could do with some updating.
Initially my girlfriend and I stayed in a room around the third pool. The room was a little disappointing. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious but slightly run down and smelt slightly damp. It wasn’t a bad room but could have been nicer. We only stayed in this room for two nights and were upgraded to the honeymoon suite after deciding to get married at the hotel. The honeymoon suite was beautiful. It was huge, modern and luxurious.
We decided to book our wedding when we arrived at the hotel. We spoke to someone at reception, chose our package and a date and all the work was done for us. The wedding ceremony was held in a marquee on the beach and my girlfriend (wife) and I had a suit and dress made in town. It was a zero stress wedding and was perfect.
The restaurant at the hotel was great, it’s one of the nicest ones along the beach and the seafood barbeque was excellent. The hotel was great for the kids, they loved the pools and the beach. The staff were all lovely, friendly and accommodating.
There are plenty of things to do around Sanur. The town itself has several decent shops and restaurants. There are a few lively bars near the hotel – the Parrot bar at the end of the road has a surprisingly good irish / Balinese band. Trips to Kuta and Ubud take around 45 minutes. Kuta beach was disgusting though, rubbish everywhere, you could barely swim for all the plastic bags. We visited the water-bom waterpark which the kids loved and was a really good trip. A trip to the Puri Santrain sister hotel is also recommended.
The Griya Santrain was the perfect venue for our family holiday and wedding. I’d highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Griya Santrian welcomes you to experience an enduring tale of warm traditional Balinese hospitality on the laid back sunrise coast of Sanur Beach. This beautiful beachfront resort, the sister property of Puri Santrian, is unmistakably among the most renowned landmarks in Sanur, gracing a perfectly central location on the quiet shore and with an unending classical design that continues to charm visitors, be it new and repeat visitors alike. Sanur is well known as a spot for luxurious seaside accommodation with its white sand beach bordering a reef-sheltered lagoon, making it one of the safest on the island, and thus perfect for families. As a luxuriant oasis in Sanur, Griya Santrian's enduring warm Balinese touches are imbued throughout its range of impeccable services and facilities. Leafy tropical Balinese gardens comprising flowering undergrowth and large shady trees (some older than the resort itself) dominate its manicured landscaping. And guests enjoy ease of access to the local shopping and dining hubs of Sanur, all within walking distance from the resort. At the heart of the Balinese owned and operated resort are its wonderful accommodation features - well designed and appointed guestrooms are spread throughout its two main wings. The two story Garden Wing comprises a total of 37 rooms with private balconies or terraces overlooking the resort's aforementioned lush gardens. Meanwhile, the ever popular Beach Wing features a total of 20 spacious rooms that let guests wake up to the wonderful garden view and the dramatic Sanur sunrises. Balconies or terraces also overlook the resort's main pool. Cable TV, mini-bar, hot and cold water, IDD telephone, tea and coffee making facilities, in-room safe and air conditioning all come as standard in-room amenities, to name a few. Alternatively, a choice of 59 Deluxe Rooms welcome guests to garden and pool views with some closer to the beach and feature en suite marble bathrooms and separate showers. For those who prefer a more lavish accommodation will find the Santrian Suite, a capacious suite with a 68 sqm bedroom with an elegantly draped four-poster bed as its center piece, together with a dressing room and private balcony. Designed with a refined modern Balinese approach, the suite serves as the ultimate romantic getaway for couples and honeymooners, while also great for families. For dining pleasures, Griya Santrian presents its main restaurants and outlets, which includes The Wantilan Restaurant, offering sumptuous breakfasts and all-day dining complemented by sweeping ocean views over the Sanur coastline. Meanwhile, Griya Beach Corner serves a wide choice of Italian, Japanese and Asian specialty dishes in a refreshing open-air setting. For a bit of romance, lovebirds can optionally spice things up with a bespoke candlelit dinner. The Spa at Griya Santrian is a thoughtfully designed and purpose built facility that offers a wide range of health and beauty treatments using natural fruit and flower extracts that will totally indulge you from top to toe. It's the go-to place within the resort grounds where guests can discover a great way to re-energize, refresh and rejuvenate during their stay. Griya Santrian opened in 1972 as a luxury boutique resort with a pride and commitment towards the preservation of Balinese arts and culture. While keeping to its roots and now in its fourth decade running, Griya Santrian continues to improve its facilities and services. The most recent addition includes a new wing room which was unveiled only last year, and repeat guests will also be surprised to see a new spa adjacent the resort's lobby, set to be completed this year. Several key facelifts are also well underway in 2016. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Griya Santrian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Griya Santrian Hotel Sanur
- Griya Santrian Sanur, Bali