“Relaxing, friendly, clean and just great.”
Review of Tamukami Hotel

Tamukami Hotel
Ranked #29 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing, friendly, clean and just great.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I spent two weeks in Bali; one week in Sanur with my eldest daughter, and one week in Jimbaran in a private villa with my siblings and their broods.

Last time I visited Sanur I was seven years old, in 1977 (yes, I am an old lady...) and this trip I recognised little. However, Tamukami Hotel is old style Bali, with beautiful gardens, complete with two colourful caged birds who tweet songs if you give them some attention.

Our room was a very decent size, with comfortable beds and effective air conditioning. We had a bath and a shower, and although the products were of a cheapish nature, I really didn't mind considering what we paid for the hotel. A tip is if you go to Harvey's (about a 10 minutes walk down the main strip) you can buy shampoo, conditioner, body lotions, etc very inexpensively. No need to cart everything over from the UK like we did.

I always started my day with waking for breakfast whilst my daughter (who is 20) slept on. Breakfast is perfectly sufficient, and I really like the Bali coffee they served. I'd then go for an hour or so walk along the sea, saying hello to the locals, many who were preparing their gifts for the gods at this time. By the time I'd get back to the hotel, my daughter would be ready for a day of lounging around the pool reading books. They have a library of books you can borrow, with lots of holiday bonkbuster type toot. They provide towels for the pool, and for us, the pool was a perfect size. I bought a lilo (from Harvey's - which was the only place I could find one), and most of the time we had the pool to ourselves so I'd bob around on that, slapped to the nines with factor 50, I hasten to add...

The hotel was quiet, with apparently 11 of the 17 rooms booked. I think at one point we were the only English speaking people staying, and I like the fact it's quite international.

I love this hotel. I felt at home instantly. It's great value for money, with nothing fancy, but authenticity oozing from every pore. If you like a quiet, pretty, basic hotel, then I would easily recommend the Tamukami.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RoxyHot10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Three of us just spent two nights at this lovely small and private hotel. We had the suite and a bungalow room both of which were huge. The fact that it is down a lane way off the Main Street is a real blessing as the street noise is minimised. There was a very musty smell in the suite room when we first arrived, but once we opened up the room for a while the smell disappeared. A great pool and the breakfast was made to order. Most of the staff were great but we did experience one surly staff member who must have been having an off day! Would definitely return again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank RuralFoodies
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stay here 3 times a year and always quiet ,good value for money. Superb staff with excellent English.Not on the beach but only minutes away.Set back from a now very busy road so still quiet.WiFi free and no problems. Food always good and extensive menu

Room Tip: 2nd floor Superior or bungalow if family
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Robin B
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at this small-scale charming hotel in Balinese style. Our bungalow suite was big and had direct access to the pool. The service and friendliness of the staff was outstanding, both at the reception and in the restaurant. The Indonesian rijsttafel was delicious! There is free wifi and the connection worked very well in our room and the public areas. From the hotel it is approx. 5 minutes walk to the beach and it is tucked away from Sanur'snoisy main street.
The price-quality ratio at Tamukami hotel was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank FerrisXL
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Slight older very peaceful resort located away from the main street and 3 min from the beach if you just walk through neighboring beach resort grounds smiling past security. Some rooms have a bit mold but are very spacious and excellent value for money. The restaurant serves amazing food especially local dishes with interesting tranquil live bands providing the entertainment. Service was top notch as long as owner was present but as he left for Belgium the standard dropped substantially. My local highly educated female friend had to convince the staff she was not there to sell her body and I was rudely asked if I have enough money to pay for my accommodation even though they had a copy of my CC.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Alise R, Sales Marketing at Tamukami Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Peter H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feed back.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay at Tamukami, it is important to us and our business to receive all feedback, positive and constructive from our guests such as yours, will serve as an encouragement to all our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our hotel, customer service and guest well-being.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and it is our hope that we will be welcoming your return in the future

Agung Purwantini
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I just returned from a family trip to Bali, Sanur area to be precise, where there is this humble hotel perched in the midst of natural habitat, not too near the beach yet not far. It has an apt name called ‘Tamukami’ which translated into the Balinese language literally means ‘our guests’ – visitors like me who pursue respite from the hullabaloo of city life.

The essence of dwelling at this place, even if the duration is short, is in its people and the environment. From the reception desk to housekeeping, you can feel the spirit from its staff who has a spontaneous sense of making you feel cozy and stress-free. The ambience of the surrounding is just breath-taking: not the artsy-fartsy kind that you are probably familiar with in this rocket science age, but simplicity that comes with rustic living.

There are only 19 rooms in the hotel, the few suites at the ground floor surround a humble swimming pool, encased by nature. The bedrooms are very clean, well equipped, spacious, daily house-kept and well-slept. Their bathrooms are huge, clean, towels changed daily, with usual cleansing amenities and a fantastic water supply. You’ll see lizards loitering after the sun sets on ceilings outside but then they are universally present in all parts of Mother Earth as their ancestors were here before us. Probably, there will be 1 or 2 tiny mosquitoes wandering about in your room. But then which country in the world can claim that it has totally eradicated them? From whence I come from – a clean and green 1st World Nation - Dengue disease is very rife and, now, Chikungunya has reared its ugly head. These potentially fatal mosquito-infested diseases are not heard of in the Sanur sector of Bali!

Just by the pool, there is a small eatery known as ‘Alise’s Restaurant & Caesar’s Bar.’ The food is sumptuous and moderately priced; service is personalized and fantastic; the atmosphere simple but romantic. For 4 nights a week you are serenaded by a Sumatran trio or a Batak duet whose repertoire is wide, vocabulary versatile and renditions sublime.

Much credit should go to the humble Belgian Eugeen De Geest Family residing within the hotel’s compound and overseeing its day-to-day administration. You will see Mr Eugeen, especially, attending to every occupied table at breakfast enquiring about your well-being. In the evenings, he will spend a few minutes at every occupied table sticking local frangipani above your ear and making you feel comfortable. Regardless of where you come from, every guest is honored at this place. You are mostly left alone to enjoy your privacy in an atmosphere of peace and tranquility.

Another unique feature at this hotel is that, although they have amenities like tour packages, bicycle rentals or in-house spa treatments, you are not nudged by the staff to take them up, in the way commercial entities and sales personnel do! About 100 meters from the hotel’s entrance is the narrow, main street called Jalan Danau Tamblingan flanked all along its left and right sides by small houses; villas; spas; bars; restaurants; lounges; pharmacies; small shops selling Balinese artifacts and daily necessities; boutique ones selling costumes and jewelry; emporiums and what have you. If you are not game in accessing the suburban town by foot, air-con taxis are just waiting at the door-step; many also ply by as you walk honking at you to use theirs and it just costs IDR 5K per person.

To describe my past 3 years’ experience at this hotel, and its neighborhood, in graphic details would be a disservice to those who have a penchant for mystery. There is especial joy in personally unraveling the suspense, so I shall not pre-empt. It all hinges on whether one is able to find the niche hidden deep in every human heart for the aesthetics in life. For this is why we seek escape to the unknown, seeking spiritual medicine to overcome modern drudgery. As for me, the more I come to stay in the Tamukami Hotel, the more I don’t want to leave and return to my habitat. People within and without are poor but have an inherent charm of happiness, kindness and contentment within them that sheds light to draw you in as a member of the family. It is true wealth which money can’t buy as pleaded by the Beatles half a century ago. Take up my challenge to visit this sojourn and see if you will not concur with its motto that aptly reads – ‘Meeting Point In Paradise!’

Room Tip: Superior Rooms at the 1st Floor (Highest Floor) are ideal for a family of 3 adults.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gopal_Prabha
Dear Mr. Gophal _ Prabha

Warmest greeting from Tamukami Bali

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear you had a great time during your stayed with us , I have taken great pleasure in sharing your fantastic remarks with all the Team.

We really appreciate your loyalty and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Once again thank you very much for all the compliments to us.
Wish you a great time.

Agung purwantini
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked Tamukami based on reviews on this site.

The outdoor areas - gardens pool etc. were beautiful, lots of greenery and flowers and well maintained (we even noticed a gardener knocking the dead flowers out of the frangipani trees - that's dedication).

I felt the rooms were just ok though. There was nothing wrong with them, they were clean and had everything you needed, although the beds were a little hard. The thing is they were lacking any Wow factor, which is something I am used to in Bali hotels (although the last couple of visits have been to villas with friends so maybe I have been spoilt).

Overall I would stay there again

• Stayed May 2013
Dear ShazDwn,

Thank you for your review, we appreciated them very much.

It is a pleasure for us that you loved our gardens, that is our aim to always make them looks green, hopefully with the nice weather that we have in Bali, we can keep them looks always beautiful.

We will always looking forward to welcoming you again at Tamukami Bali.

Agung Purwantini