“Excellent staff and location”
Review of Puri Santrian

Puri Santrian
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed October 20, 2007

My husband and I got married in the Puri Santrian hotel in Dec 06. We booked through Thomson, and our wedding was arranged through Kuoni. Our original Hotel was the Inna Grand Bali in the north end of Sanur. I read the reviews about it on here and phoned Kuoni for a change of location explaining that if it were a normal holiday it might have been ok to stay there; but as it was our wedding...NO WAY. We visited Inna Grand Bali and boy were we pleased that we'd changed to the Puri Santrian, the contrast was night and day.

The restaurants and choice of food served in the Puri Santrian is varied and tasty. The only thing that irritated me were the flies but you can't do anything about them, oh and the Gamelan musicians who played every morning as you ate your breakfast, unfortuneately you can't do anything about them either.......

The grounds of the hotel were well maintained, the gardens were manicured and the fallen flowers were continually swept up. Our room was cleaned every day, with bottled water left for us each day. There was a little mini market across the road from the hotel and we stocked up on juice and crisps etc and put them in the fridge in our room. The staff were extremely friendly and honest.

This end of Sanur offers more shops, bars and restaurants than the Inna Grand Bali end and isn't as run down either.

The staff of the Puri Santrian could not have been more helpful or pleasant, one of the porters at the main gate could speak 7 languages!!

We were lucky enough to persuade the Honorary British Consul Mark Wilson to be our best man.....He owns the Cat & Fiddle restaurant across the road from the Hotel and his food, entertainment and staff are also highly recommended. If anyone is planning to get married here I'd suggest this hotel without hesitation; but please organize your Certificates of No Impediment in the UK before you go it's much cheaper we saved about £100 doing it at home.

The locals have phenomenal memories, they remember you after 1 sighting. They can be a bit annoying by badgering you to come into their shops, offering manicures, massages etc.

We got ripped off by the Blue Cabs on our last day going into Denpasar, they took a really long road turning a 15 minute journey into about 45 mins, when I pointed this out the driver didn't speak english; agree a price before you get in the cab. The other thing about their cars is that they aren't all upto British MOT standard, our local hotel taxi was falling to bits, I wouldn't get into a car at home in that condition, but we'd agreed the cost before it arrived. I was waiting for the wheel to fall off as we went to Kuta.

All in all we had the best holiday possible staying at this hotel and resort. I'd recommend this hotel to anybody, Oh and the Kuoni rep who organized our wedding did Melinda Messengers wedding for her when she got married in the Bali Hyatt. Our holiday rep who went by the name Sting gave us a beautiful Bali throw for a wedding present and Kuoni presented us with a beautiful hand carved ebony wall plaque of the Balinese Romeo & Juliette with our names and wedding date carved into it.

We did a few tours when we were there, we went white water rafting, followed by the elephant safari. We did the sunset tour of the Temple at Tanah Lot. We saw more Temples than I'd thougth were possible to see on such a small island, but all in all we'll go back to Bali again and will stay in this hotel.

Mr & Mrs Mac

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank prymac

Reviewed October 15, 2007

Stayed for one week in October in the Club Rooms, although would have been happy to have stayed in any other of the hotels rooms situated around the beautiful gardens. Only complaint we heard from other guests was about people booking sun beds early in the morning. We always managed to find beds though and preferred the main pool/beach area where it was cooler than the Club pools.

Would recommend this hotel to all age groups.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CarolNorthernIreland
Reviewed October 8, 2007

Stayed there with my partner from 21st sept till 6th october.
Here are some facts that might help you decide:

- clean and comfortable rooms set in a magnificent garden, especially at night when lighted
- very nice swimming pools, but beware of all those selfish people who put their towels early in the morning, even if they don't plan to use the sunlounge
- poor beach and poor sea, unfit for a good swim
- gorgeous spa and massage center, much more expensive than a beach massage
- restaurants average and overpriced
- friendly staff and rapid service

We stayed in Sanur as a base for exploring the island.
My main advice to all travelers (wherever they stay in Bali) is to avoid spending their time exclusively on the hotel premices (especially for europeans and americans, pls spare yourself the very long flight if you plan to stay on the pool side, there are cheaper and nearer destinations to do that).
Get yourself a driver and a guide and explore the island, its breathtaking landscapes, its temples and palaces. Let the guide introduce you to the elaborate balinese version of hinduism, the numerous handicrafts.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you want to know more.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
15  Thank paddymunich
Reviewed September 26, 2007

I recently stayed at the Puri Santrian hotel in Sanur, Bali, and can heartily recommend it. This is a hotel that understands the needs of its mainly western guests.

I was in one of the bungalows in the beautiful gardens - there was a lovely big bathroom which was partially outdoors (but netted against mosquitoes) with plants growing in one corner. The room was very clean and the male maid was happy to give us more coffee making materials when we asked him.

The hotel facilities were great: the swimming pools were lovely, there were enough sun loungers both by the pool and along the beach, the restaurant food was good (mainly western food available) and the breakfast buffet great (so you didn't have to eat for most of the day!). All the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a canoe for guests to use (free) and 2 floating pavilions anchored just off the beach. The beach itself wasn't "wow" and not really suitable for swimming at low tide. The reef which is visible on the horizon looked dramatic.

There was a nice promenade along the whole of Sanur beach so you could amble along at dusk to do some shopping and eat/drink at the many other places nearby. Sanur town was full of tourist oriented shops and restaurants but had a nice quiet atmosphere. Many honeymooners were staying at the hotel but I would have been quite happy to stay on my own. The atmosphere was peaceful but there was enough to keep most non-party people occupied.

I didn't have any spa treatments at the hotel so I can't comment on that but I did join the Balinese evening. This was quite expensive but very well done, with a good buffet, a big gamelan orchestra and interesting dances, with explanations given by a compere. I would recommend it for someone who doesn't have a lot of time to investigate Balinese music and dance elsewhere.

11  Thank dottieontour
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Not sure how this hotel has only been rated a two star ?????
The Puri is fantastic in every way - its a quality hotel with great rooms, good food, lovely pools, lush gardens, friendly staff and great spa. We have just returned from our 7 night stay in one of the club rooms - fantastic and definitely worth the extra few dollars. During our stay in Bali we visited a lot of other hotels in Sanur and noticed the lack of quality compared to the Puri straight away, and these hotels were not that much cheaper. We had friends staying in these lesser quality hotels, many ended up with bali belly due to the poor quality food.
Prior to our holiday we were a bit worried about the location of the puri as people were saying its down the quieter end of sanur and away from all the action. This is true, the puri is located down the quiet end however, this is what made our holiday! The fact that we could be totally relaxed and free from noise. However, if we wanted to go to the busier end to try different restaurants and more shopping, it was only a cheap taxi fare away - $1.50 (10,000 rup) - we definitely had the best of both worlds!!!
So glad we chose this hotel for our stay in Bali - definitely the best in Sanur - loved it!!!!

Stayed: September 2007
15  Thank PerthWce9
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Just returned frm Bali, staying at the Puri santrian. First impressions of Bali - I was expecting pure white sand and large luxury rooms. Not quite, but the fact that the beach gets a little messy with seaweed does not detract from its location. The rooms a little smaller than expected, but I think I was influenced on coming from a 5 star hoten in Bangkok. After one day we really liked our beach wing room. Clean, tidy, well serviced. Expect to get a small gecko/lizard in the room - they are impossible to keep out, they dont bother with you and its hard to see them. If you get one they only make a small distinctiive noise during the night - but at least they dont scurry around the room. I'm a bit paranoid about insects etc. in foreign countries, but this didn't put me off at all.
The gardens all around the complex make the place look like a paradise. The staff could not be friendlier and really go out of their way to provide good service. everyone smiles and greets you everytime to see them.
Having not been in Bali before, I was surprized at how poor the locals are - so a few small tips mean alot to hotel staff such as the people who clean your room, at restaurants etc..
The pools are just fantastic. I visited the Bali Hyatt, just up the beach a bit - you could not compare. Puri Santrian is far better, cleaner, prettier. As with everything Bali is cheap. I found it quite difficult to get a good restaurant, for us, we preferred to spend a bit more to get the better ones.
Everyone seems to say Donalds is good. There are 2. One on the beach and 1 just outside the front enterance. In my opinion, dont waste your time going to the beach one - it takes on average 30mins to get a small breakfast to the table and we were the only ones in the place! The one at the front entrance - is very good good - the steaks I recommend. Again just outside the front entrance - is the Cat & Fiddle. The name put me off at first, so we disnt bother going to it. But we found out that it really has good food, good folk music in the evening and is good for breakfast. The owner has alot of experience in the catering industry ( also has an interesting background - read the back of the menu) - so this experience has been used in this little restaurant / pub. The Mezzanine - part of the Puri Santrian - is also good, although a bit more expensive and some parts of the menu can be dissapointing. You never seem to get good portions of meat or fresh veg. and the local indedonesian dishes can be just ok.
The weather was dry all the time we were there. Quite bearable and with plently of shade you can suit most tastes.
If you want any photos - let me know.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
17  Thank MarkIreland
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I was amazed at the quality of the Puri Santrian. The photos on their website cannot capture its actual beauty and its Zen like atmosphere. You MUST see it in person. It is much more beautiful than pictures can show. My partner and I are planning to return to the Puri Santrian again next year for 2 weeks. For Snorkeling or diving I would recommend asking locals for a good place away from Sanur or Denpasar.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple