“Fabulous food and cooking experience.”

Bamboo Shoots Cooking School
Ranked #2 of 11 Food & Drink in Sanur
Melbourne, Australia
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Fabulous food and cooking experience.”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

The day started at 7am with pick-up by Irma and a tour of the local market with Rosie. This was enjoyable. Then we were taken to the cooking school and had breakfast - don't order too much as you will be eating all of the food you make. After a short wait we went to the cooking area and the dishes were explained, then aprons were donned and chopping began. We made Ikan Pepes (tuna fish in banana leaves), ayam (chicken) satay, soto (soup) ayam, beef rendang, spring rolls and black (sticky) rice dessert.

You can get involved as much as you like, chopping, stirring and grinding. All good fun and then you get to eat the dishes as you go along. It was all so tasty. We really enjoyed making the spring roll wrappers and it was the best beef rendang we have had in Bali.

It costs 450,000 per person and it was worth it. Thank you Irma, Rosie and Wati for a great day. I can't wait to make all of these dishes once I get home.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Julianne H

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great learning experience and tasty food”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The cooking class was one of the highlights of my holiday. Irma was a great host and as promised collected me at 7am and we proceeded to the markets. Her colleagues, Rossi and Wati, showed us around and were very accommodating in answering our questions and explaining the culture of the place and the various food/vegetables for sale.

After buying most of the ingredients for the cooking class we proceeded to the hotel where the class was being held. We ordered breakfast (which was included in the fees). In hindsight all the attendees said that maybe we should have given breakfast a miss as we also had to eat the dishes we cooked - i.e., beef rendang, fish cooked in banana leaf, chicken satay, soto ayam (Chicken soup Balinese style), spring rolls and pandan pancake with coconut filling. Irma even showed us at the end how she makes fried rice - which was very tasty. So by the time we finished the class we were all sure that we didn't need to have dinner that night.

We were also given a recipe booklet at the end of the session. My only disappointment was that the recipes did not include gluten free alternatives. Wati attempted to make a gluten free version of the spring roll wrapper as well as the pancake during the class to accommodate my dietary needs. Unfortunately she had no recipe to work from and was experimenting as she went along. Hence my gluten free spring roll and pandan pancake were not as appetising as I was expecting (though the fillings were tasty). I guess I had a higher expectation as when I booked with Irma I'd advised that I was gluten intolerant and she said that she catered for special dietary requirements. I'm now thinking of sending her recipes I found on the internet.

All in all I think this is a great cooking school - well organised and people were really friendly.

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice way to learn the real Indonesian cooking”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We were getting picked up at 7 o'clock in the morning: we went to the market and bought all the ingredients. When we arrived at the hotel, We got a nice breakfast and 8 o'clock start cooking. We made beef rendang, sateh with peanutsauce, spring rolls, pancakes and more. At the market they ask if you've like fish or meat or vegetables and then pick dishes that you're going to cook that day based on your preferences.

It was a Sunday at the cooking class where we learned a lot that we will do at home. Do note that it's a western price at almost $45 per person, but it's better to invest in experiences than all the souvenir stuff so I'm glad I did it.

1 Thank Jean-Luc L
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A REALLY ENJOYABLE MORNING-GREAT HOSTS”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were met at Sanur Market by Irma. Had a good look around the market, asking lots of questions & trying different goodies. Then back to have breakfast & then start our cooking class.
We learnt about the ingredients and made some beautiful Balinese dishes i.e Rendang, spring rolls, sticky black rice, fish parcels, chicken satays - all divine. We were also shown how to make the spring roll wrappers - will do again soon. Thank you to Irma, Ron and their team for your informative classes and great hospitality. We were even given a few icy cold bintangs and had a good chat to "Bloody Ron" Enjoyed every minute

2 Thank Jill A
England, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“A great way to spend a morning”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This class was the highlight of my stay in Sanur. I really enjoyed the early morning trip to the market exploring all the local ingredients. I made sure not to eat too much of the breakfast provided back at the cookery school--and then for the cooking, it was great---lots of hands on experience and breaks to taste every dish we prepared. In all, there were 5 savoury dishes and 1 dessert- no-one could believe how much we cooked in just one morning, although it never felt rushed. Everything was delicious (particularly the beef rendang)and I fully intend to prepare some of the dishes at home using the recipes provided at the end. Just one caution-the kitchen is open air and I was caught out without insect repellant and suffered several bites!

2 Thank 1Walker57