“Great soup, average babi guling” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Amsterdam
“Great soup, average babi guling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Compared to other babi guling restaurants like Ibu Oka in Ubud, the food is average but the soup is to die for and I will be back for another bowl soon!

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Tea Gardens, Australia
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

If you like eating with the locals and eat what and how they eat, then give this a go. Babi Guling (suckling pig) is cooked freshly every morning...I doubt whether any part of the pig is wasted, it's all cooked up with herbs and spices and presented in various forms. All the bits and pieces are served up on a plate accompanied with rice and (blow your head off) chilli sauce plus a clearish spicy soup of some sort. I like to pour the soup over the rice or the pork but it's nice just to eat as soup as well. Now this is Bali...none of the pork is refrigerated (it just sits in a 3 sided glass cabinet until required), so my very strong recommendation is to plan for an earlyish lunch...I wouldn't risk it after say 12pm (particularly if the weather is really hot). Oh and it costs about 30,000 IDR (about $3AUD) per serve...and while you're at it grab a packet of pork crackles to have with an icey cold Bintang later on...mmm

• Visited February 2013
“What a dissapointment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

After reading the fantastic reviews of this place I just had to go and check it out. We were there about 5 pm and there were no other customers. I ordered babi guling and my wife chicken satay. What a huge dissapointment was waiting for us! We received small cups of soup, portions of rice and separate plates of satay and babi guling. The soup contained bones, pieces of skin, some shreds of meat and white, jelly stuff in a very spicy liquid. Neither of us could finish it. Satay was just a few pieces of very, very dry chicken on sticks. But the babi guling plate: only a few small pieces of dry pork meat, some soft shreds of skin, bones, "white stuff" and some vegetables. The portion was so small that even a five year old wouldn't be hyppy with it. All very dry with lots of chili. I guess they had sold out all the delicious parts (if there were any to start out with) hours ago and we were served some leftovers. Two lousy portions together with two beers did all together 90 000 IDR! And this all came with quite rude service, unappetizing smell and about one million flies

“Good and Proper Indonesian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Atmosphere plays a huge part in overall experience and I suspect that if we had seen the pig roasting this review may be more favourable. Dont get me wrong the food was delicious and I could live on the soup alone. I guess I was just expecting to have my mind blown. Go if you absolutely love pork in all of its various forms. Be prepared for warm drinks and the traffic on your doorstep. 70,000 rupiah for 2 people with drinks make this a fair bargain.

Would I go again? Probably not, I would try other locations though in search of the elusive god pig.

Ubud, Indonesia
“lokal food for balines food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

in bali we get some special food ,we called babi guling this with roosted pig,afternoon near traffic light at sanur if you from the airport,this place on the left side roads,small place with good food,and not expensive in here, average price,more lokal people get some lunch in here.

Visited October 2012