“Good and Proper Indonesian food”
Review of Babi Guling Sanur

Babi Guling Sanur
Ranked #175 of 441 Restaurants in Sanur
Cuisines: Indonesian
“Good and Proper Indonesian food”
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Atmosphere plays a huge part in overall experience and I suspect that if we had seen the pig roasting this review may be more favourable. Dont get me wrong the food was delicious and I could live on the soup alone. I guess I was just expecting to have my mind blown. Go if you absolutely love pork in all of its various forms. Be prepared for warm drinks and the traffic on your doorstep. 70,000 rupiah for 2 people with drinks make this a fair bargain.

Would I go again? Probably not, I would try other locations though in search of the elusive god pig.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Ubud, Indonesia
“lokal food for balines food”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

in bali we get some special food ,we called babi guling this with roosted pig,afternoon near traffic light at sanur if you from the airport,this place on the left side roads,small place with good food,and not expensive in here, average price,more lokal people get some lunch in here.

Visited October 2012
Umina Beach, Australia
“Hot and spicy”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is delicious Babi Guling, especially if you like hot food. The pork was beautiful, the sausage was delicious and the soup, yum. You'll need a large Bintang to accompany it though because it is very spicy. Luckily they leave out the spicy food for the kids servings.

This Warung is aimed more at locals than tourists, and it is pretty basic, but that's part of it's charm.

• Visited October 2012
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Super delicious! Love the crispy skin.”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

A Balinese friend recommended this place and we're so glad we took his advice. Having lived and travelled widely in Asia for many years we always like to hunt out authentic local food, and Babi Guling Sanur didn't disappoint. Everything was perfectly cooked and very well spiced, with plenty of chilli. This isn't the toned down tourist babi, but the real deal.

Best bits - the spicy liver, the sharp, sweet, fiery broth and the incredible crackling. Never in my life has pig skin submitted with such a mouth watering crunch. All the other bits and pieces are great too. We came away feeling satisfied and having spent the equivalent of £5 for one of our best meals on Bali - including beer.

If you want crispy skin it's best to go before 2pm as it tends to sell out. Lots of locals come for lunch so it's a nice, low key way to see life beyond the tourist beaches.

To fine the restaurant, stand with your back to the main entrance of MacDonalds and look opposite and slightly left. The sign is a pinky orange colour. Then take your life in your hands, dodge the oncoming scooters and enjoy.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Allid64
Singapore
“Delicious and friendly. Love the soup!”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The food tasted good, with well-balanced flavours. I especially enjoyed the crispy skin, sausage and the soup. The soup was so tasty and more-ish I had 2 bowls. The meat was on the dry side but it only made up a small part of the plate of assorted items on the dish. I like that the rice was served on a separate plate. The waiter was very polite and helpful. I bought a few bags of crackling as well and regretted not having bought more. Great beer accompaniment.

The restaurant was very clean and there were many local customers, always a good indication of the quality and value of a restaurant. It's across the main road from Mc Donald's.

• Visited May 2012