“quiet over the muslim holiday season”
Review of Sindhu Market

Ranked #3 of 34 things to do in Sanur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Returned again to my favourite eating place in sanur. Many of the warung operators were absent in java for celebrations. About 50% were still operating; but quite crowded with tourists and locals.Generally eat here 3 nights out of 4. Excellent food; great prices; top place to watch the world go by. The food being offered is of excellent quality and variety....highly recommended as always

1  Thank spudnikfalcon
in 12 reviews
"small market"
"traditional food"

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This little market is perfect to have a real authentic Balinese meal in the evening. Eating among the locals and you can even eat with your fingers if you want to. The food is pure, real and very nice. Some of the dishes are quite spicy and hot. Also the tourists have found this place. You can compare this pasar malam(evening market) as a little food court with several big tables and chairs. The price is ridiculously low! For EUR 1.50 you already have a plate with 3 of four sorts of dishes and white rice. I stayed four days in Sanur and I had my dinner at this place every evening among the Balinese population and some tourists. One night I had sate kambing(goatmeat on a skewer) as "dessert". You get 10 skewers for EUR 0.80 and it was great!!

3  Thank Rossi T
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We ate dinner here one night with our three kids ages 12, 9, 6.. It was a bit crowded when sitting and eating but locals were more than willing to make room. It costed about $9 AU to feed all of us, good food, better than some of the other restaurants we had been to. The pancakes filled with banana condensed milk and chocolate were a hit with the kids. We went at about 6:30 and it was not too busy. Also lots of alternatives for the kids that did not like spicey foods- Glad we took the kids.

2  Thank wiggleyblue
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have been going to the night market for a few years now after reading about it in travel guides and on forums, then finally being dragged along by my Balinese partner as I was still feeling a bit reluctant due to scary reports. I had heard so many negative things about people getting Bali Belly and much worse that I had thought I was going to end up in a hospital somewhere if I ate here. It couldn't have been further from the truth. I now love visiting the night market to mix with the local people and tourists alike. Make no mistake, this market is not a little tourist destination to wonder at the multitudes of shops and items for purchase. Yes, the stall holders will be keen to get your money but it is no different to anywhere else in Bali, they need to earn a living! The pasar is for lokal (local) people to spend their evenings, do some shopping, meet, have dinner with family/friends etc.

I find it a joy to watch the kids running around, hear people laughing and having a good time, sit and enjoy the atmosphere. The food prices are usually very good depending on which cart you decide to eat at but as is common in Indonesia, the price is negotiable. Don't just accept a high price if you know the locals aren't paying the same. I go there with the attitude that I know I will pay a bit of a higher price than the locals but I don't have to pay beyond a reasonable amount. There are some of the stalls that will charge restaurant prices for a nasi goreng and refuse to reduce the price because they know that other tourists are sitting there paying it! It's crazy to be handing over 40,000Rp for one serve of fried rice in a market! So, I know the place to avoid and yet he still has customers willing to pay those prices, good luck to Warung Gosa. Don't get me wrong, he cooks nice food, the babi kecap is delicious, but he just likes scoring big tourist dollars whereas other stalls will charge you what they charge locals! Shop around and ask the prices.....or even walk up the road a bit to Mama Putu 2 where you can see what they charge to dine in and be able to watch tv!

I have tried numerous stalls and there is some fantastic food on offer and it can be very delicious and filling. The good thing is that you can order from different carts but eat in the one place, it just means a bit of running around with cash to pay everyone. I have never gotten sick from the carts but yes, I've had upset tummy issues usually because I go a bit silly eating too spicy early into my trip. I have had the same issue as another reviewer in that I have gotten seriously ill dining in supposedly safe restaurants before.......so, if you're going to get ill, you're going to get ill regardless of where you go. You can still take some precautions (anti-bacterial hand wash) but I think the best thing is to just be realistic about it all and enjoy what the market has to offer. If somewhere doesn't feel right or you get a smell of something that may be a bit past it then don't go there. If you do have concerns about freshness then avoid the padang style foods and get something cooked fresh.

Enjoy the atmosphere, it's great for people watching and even photography (being respectful of course)

Visiting the market in the morning is a lot different as it is more produce based. Plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, eggs, fish etc to wander around and marvel at. You can even get a good view of what people really have for breakfast! If you feel a bit adventurous, try the nasi kuning campur around to the left of the entrance in the building, first row. Delicious.

5  Thank Paul_Mega_Smith