“Excellent stay at the Sunhouse”

Sunhouse Guest House
Ranked #16 of 137 Sanur B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I just stayed for a week at Sunhouse, and liked it so much that I decided to stay a few more days after touring the rest of the island.
It is s a small family operated guesthouse, not fancy but very clean, with a nice swimming pool.
Breakfast is not included, but you get free coffee and tea, and access to their spotless kitchen.
All the staff were super nice and helpful and made me feel very welcome.
I would very much recommend this guesthouse - you might want to book in advance since it is often fully booked.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed 5 days here for our honeymoon,,This guesthouse meet our low budget,,hehe,,
But, we don't get low facility.. We stayed in sunflower room, which is the only room that separated upstairs from the others.. Of course, we need privacy for our honeymoon,, hihi,,
We arranged the pickup from airport to guesthouse.

(Plus) :
The room is spacious, comfortable bed, air conditioning, refrigerator, tv with dvd player, in room safety deposit box (we did't use it,,), ceiling fan, with private balcony, private bathroom with hot/cold water (no tub), new towel everyday, but no breakfast..

We cooked at their kitchen, small but enough for us too cook instant noodles, fried eggs, nuggets, fried prawn, etc,, just not to get bored for 5 days breakfast. The place is so near from Sanur beach, that not too crowded like Kuta beach, we had lunch here at Sanur beach.

The staff is friendly and responsive. We can have tea/coffee in the morning (self-service). We can also rent bicycle for walking around the beach.

You can wake up early in the morning, walk to the beach (about 5 minutes walk) and see the sunrise,,

(Minus):
The pool was not clean enough, no parking area for car, so if you rent a car, you park outside the guesthouse.

We will come back here someday when we go to Bali again,,:)

Room Tip: We select sunflower room, which is separated upstairs from the others, has spacious room and private...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sorau
vhardono, Owner at Sunhouse Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2012

Dear SorayaYuliana,

Thank you for your review about Sunhouse Guesthouse in TripAdvisor. We are very glad to hear that you and your husband had a memorable honeymoon stay with us.

We would like to offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered with our pool cleanliness. To counteract this problem, we have fixed the pump that regulates the water flow as well as trimmed the surrounding bamboo tree to reduce the falling leaves into the pool.

We really look forward to welcoming you again in our guesthouse.

Warm regards,

Vega

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Three of us stayed here in 2 rooms over 4 nights from a recommendation of a friend who stayed here 3 years ago. The Sunhouse is extremely clean, airy and conveniently located near Sanur town center and the beach. The owners are amazingly friendly and kind and the staff are great and responsive.

This is a great bargain for the location and the amenities. The beds are amazing and we were all surprised at how high quality and comfortable the sheets are (major plus!). The small pool is refreshing, super clean and relaxing and you have access to the kitchen for the refrigerator, water, coffee, etc.

Room Tip: Book in advance - this place fills up. Every one knows about it for its great value and location.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vilasinee
Reviewed February 16, 2012

It is with regret that we had to check out of Sun house guest house.
I am writing this review hopefully, if only to serve to ensure the issues I found are addressed for the benefit of future travellers so they won’t have to experience the unpleasant disappointment I did after months of research and planning and travelling nearly 8,000 miles!

I would like you to know, that I took advice from a well respected member and destination expert of the TA community who felt that other travellers had the right to be informed about my experience because my intention is to be fair and constructive in my feedback of my actual experience...

It is important to note here that the very last thing I want to do is drag a business down and i’m very aware that this can happen as a result of harsh & unbalanced reviews. My aim is share my experience in only a constructive way.

I will also let Marcel know I have posted the review to give her the opportunity to respond.

I originally wanted to just share with you my email to the owner Marcel and the prompt response she made but that defies TA criteria... so here's the gist......

We chose Sun house guest house because it is portrayed so beautifully on their website.
We checked in and checked right out again as we were so disappointed with what we found.
Sun house guest house slogan in their opening invitation on their website says -
''want a bit of paradise?'' This is your spot!''........ Unfortunatley, we didn't find Paradise there that day. I wanted to speak to the owner directly to highlight my disappointment but unfortunately she was overseas in Singapore.......

I will now speak honestly of my first impressions of Sun house guest house
==============================================
The place was untidy, I really thought the staff had moved in, there was a fair bit of cigarette ash on the floor under the table, below my feet, where I signed a guest registration piece of paper.
The bale overlooking the pool was loaded with stuff which looked like it was being used for storage and was basically out of use. The pool was dirty and had not been kept clean with insects and debris floating in it.
Right outside the door of our booked room the Hibiscus Room were the staffs washing drying on the maiden.
The kitchen area was so overloaded with stuff and looked unclean and not pristine as per the website picture and certainly no space for our own drinks etc.
The door to hibiscus would not lock, i worried naturally about security.......I went to the bathroom wiped my hands on an old scruffy hand towel that had seen better days and smelled unclean..
The room itself whilst probably acceptable for the money paid, felt a little neglected with all the paint peeling off the wall behind the bed...my partner turned the a/c on to find water dripping from the unit, so it had clearly needed maintenance for some time as the wall suggested paint bubbling and generally an eye sore.

All these things contributed to me feeling really disappointed and I just wanted to leave.

The rate offered seems a bargain when you see the pictures on the website but the guest house in my experience resembled nothing like in reality, the lovely portrayal on the website. We accepted the rate was so good as the facilities are limited and its only a small guest house and well, it is Bali afterall ! where you can get some of the best value accomodation in the world.

All we wanted and expected was a traditional, 'clean', 'loved', 'well maintained', guest house - It even crossed my mind perhaps the staff might be taking advantage in the owner’s absence. I saw 3 staff and a Balinese little girl playing, for perhaps 5/6 rooms.

The above basically mirrors my email to Marcel, who replied positively and promptly....I feel it’s relevant and fair to share her response but I am bound by TA rules who do not allow quoting material from another source. Hopefully Marcel will use this opportunity to reiterate her response to reassure future patrons.

Considerations
=========
The 'overall rating ' above is 'poor' because this is the closest adjective to describe my experience from the multiple choice ...... a more appropriate word would be as per my title .......''disappointing''
The issues are not earth shattering by any stretch of the imagination but I had worked really hard at planning my return to Bali after 16years and was so looking forward to this 4 night stay because, as I cannot emphasise enough, it looks like a lovely, traditional, well run guest on the website pictures.
At the time I booked sun house there were only 8 reviews and all seemed positive.

I genuinely believe that standards have been good in the past. Perhaps when new, (i’m not sure of its age) representing value for money... and things had been allowed to become neglected. Perhaps in the owner’s absence...All I know is, it did not ‘invite’ me to spend 4 nights there.
I came from a guest house with no pool and I wasn’t expecting the Ritz by any means... it’s just such a shame it reflected so poorly, in the light of the website advertisement of the guest house.
I do hope Marcel does as she said and uses my feedback to put the 'defects' as she called them, right and despite my bad experience I genuinely wish her every success in her business. I only wish she had been there in person for me to talk to. I guess we have just been unlucky unlike the other reviewers.
It also didn’t help that the south Sanur area was so much tattier than I remembered it from my few visits in the 1990's.I felt like I had totally made the wrong choice..........

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lmmb5
vhardono, Owner at Sunhouse Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

Dear lmmb5,

Please allow us to take this opportunity once again to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your short period of stay.
You willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated.

We aim to consistently provide a memorable experience to our guests and deeply regret that the quality of our facilities and services did not meet your expectation.
Just so you know, we have taken your concerns very seriously. Thorough investigation has been carried out, we gave a stern warning following disciplinary actions against our staff and necessary actions have been performed to improve our guesthouse.

Should you intend to visit Bali again in near future, we hope you will allow us to serve your lodging needs, as we would like the opportunity to provide you the level of service you should expect from our guesthouse.

We hope all our efforts and gestures could bring back your confidence to stay with us.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We were flying into Denpasar quite late on a Friday night and needed somewhere to stay before we headed to Gili the following morning. The staff here greeted us when we arrived at around 11pm and showed us to our room. It was clean and cosy, and for the price we payed we couldnt have been happier.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed for a whole month, all the staff were very friendly and helpful, the room/kitchen kept clean and tidy and all at a very, very reasonable price. The pool is amazing for kids, there are two sun loungers provided and a cushioned/shaded platform next to the pool for reading books. The beach is only a two minute walk away. Sunhouse is situated in the quieter part of Sanur but has still has amazing cafe/warungs and a shop close at hand. The Kitchen is perfect for saving money so you are not eating out every night and has a refrigerator/freezer available for keeping your food fresh/frozen. We will definitely be returning and would recommend here to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Plumeria room and it was perfect for our needs, I would advise booking well in adva...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Thomas M
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I stayed at the Sunhouse for two nights in mid-December. I got the 'Sunflower' room which was on the top floor of the house with a little balcony. The room was about $35 a night. The room itself was spacious, air conditioned and beautifully decorated in a simple, clean Bali style. Large functional bathroom as well. Given the size of the room and the quiet location, I thought this was great value and I was really pleased with my choice.

The staff was extremely helpful and kind, they let me check out a night early without any issues and were accommodating about late check-outs as well. There's a usable communal kitchen - I wouldn't recommend making large meals as it gets a little crowded - but definitely great for breakfasts and other small snacks.

The pool is small but functional and cute. The guest house is a five minute walk from the beach. Highly recommend this guest house if you are planning on doing lots of activities during the day and will be out and about during your time in Bali.

Room Tip: Sunflower Room has a small balcony and slightly separate from the other rooms. Steep stairs though...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo