“Friendly owners, well positioned accomodation and great food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ducks Nutz

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sanur
The Ducks Nutz
Ranked #67 of 134 Sanur B&B and Inns
UK
“Friendly owners, well positioned accomodation and great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed here at the start and end of our Bali holiday and had a lovely stay, the location is good and the pool is very refreshing set in lovely gardens. The rooms are cleaned daily and come with AC, there is also a fridge and kettle with tea and coffee supplied - the rooms are due to have a bit of TLC. We found the owners Bill and Gael to be friendly and helpful as well as the staff and guests and the food was lovely - some of the best we had in Bali - Wednesday and Saturday they have live music which is brilliant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scrappydog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Coffs Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

Spent two weeks at The Ugly Duckling, big room, great pool and gardens. The resturant had great selection of food, worked our way through the menu. Staff wonderful. The live music was a highlight for my family. Made some wonderful new friends and will be going back ASAP

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank wiz55
Salalah, Oman
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

We read the positive reviews on here and figured that the new Aussie owners would have a good idea of what Western tourists would be after. Unfortunately we were bitterly disappointed. I'm not one for luxury and was never loooking for that - however I do expect basic cleanliness and upkeep and that was severely lacking. The grounds are lovely - beautiful gardens and a nice pool. The owners are very friendly and helpful though you do get the feeling the place is a hang out for their Aussie mates. The buildings housing the rooms look stunning from the outside but the interior was just grim. I can only imagine (hope?) that they intend to renovate these? Being basic is fine but there is no excuse for filth and grime. Our walls were covered in dirty marks and there were what looked like some kind of droppings all over the place. The bathroom was disgusting. The door was almost rotted through and you were almost afraid to touch the door handle. The plastic curtains were filthy and the walls were mouldy. There was a big hole behind the aircon unit where any bugs etc. could easily get in. What disappoints me so much is that it would be SO easy to rectify these issues. One lick of paint would make an enormous difference - as would a very thorough clean. It's such a shame as this place has the potential to be amazing. The owners describe this place as a 3-star. This is totally inaccurate. Based on the room it could never be more than a 1-star, perhaps a 2-star when the grounds are taken into consideration. I really hope this place gets the TLC it so desparately needs. I also find it strange that no real effort has been made to rebrand the place. There is no reference to 'the ugly duckling' anywhere so far as we could see. All the signage still says Puri Made. The only obvious change is the promotion of the Duckz Nutz restaurant/bar. Even the bath mats still had 'Puri Made' printed on them. Again, something as simple as new fresh towels would give a real lift to this place. Our towels and bath mats looked ancient and threadbare and no pool towels were provided. We ended up buying one in the local supermarket. Unfortunately it really seems like the new owners cant be bothered as these are such obvious and simple things to do that I dont know what it says about them when they close their eyes to these problems.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Anokhi10

Travelers are raving about these Sanur hotels

Bunbury, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

Don't be fooled by the name or, the fact that you've never heard of it...this is a great place to stay. I spent hours trawling Trip Advisor as a first timer to Sanur, but needn't have bothered. I should have followed my gut feeling and booked The Ugly Duckling straight away! From the minute we walked in and met hosts Gael and Bill we felt right at home, and by that evening they and the staff felt like old friends. They couldn't have been more helpful with everything from safe money changers to where to eat, shop, get tattoos(!), and Bill will happily keep an eye on your AFL team's progress for you... We learnt more about Sanur at the bar of the Ducks Nutz than from any forum or travel guide. The rooms themselves are newly refurbished, clean and comfortable - more so than I expected for the price, which includes breakfast. The pool area is beautifully landscaped and well maintained, and we could easily keep an eye on the kids in the pool from our balcony. The food is quality, generous serves and very well-priced, so much so that we ate in more than we intended to. At the end of our stay we really didn't want to leave, and despite our more salubrious digs in Ubud, the kids (and mum and dad) couldn't stop talking about how we wished we were back at the Duckling! In short, if you're after an affordable stay with loads of atmosphere and genuinely friendly staff, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Gold Coast Qld Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

Traveling solo around Bali on business in Feb/Mar of this year I needed accomodation for a couple of nights in Sanur. Normally I stay at a hotel at Sanur's southern end but they were booked out and the the owner pointed me in the direction of a new hotel that he and his partners had just taken over.

I called in and a young lady at reception told that they had 12 rooms out back. She told me that no signs were up yet because the place had just changed hands and the new aussie owners were in the process of changing the hotels name from Puri Made Hotel to "The Ugly Duckling Hotel".

She showed me through two of the rooms (the only two that were left actually), one was a twin and the other a double. Nothing mindblowing mind you but both were very clean and tidy, with fresh clean linen, ensuite shower and toilet, bar fridge, airconditioned and overlooked the pool. The big bonus was when she quoted me the price, only 350,000Rp (about$40 a nite incl breakfast), I signed up for 2 nites then and there.

Gardens were small but nicely cared for, the pool was spotless, clean and clear with a lovely poolside garden gazebo and pool lounges. Although only a two nite stay and out most of the day on business it was an enjoyable trouble free stay. A great little restaurant downstairs, good hot breakfast each morning of bacon and eggs, toast, coffee and juice.

The new owners had only taken over the place weeks before but while I was there they were busy painting out the restaurant and told me that next project was to start refurbishing the rooms. I would seriously recommend The Ugly Ducking Hotel for those looking for a budget stay hotel right in the heart of Sanur's main tourist strip and as I say at only 350,000Rp a nite how can you go wrong.

Hotel website: http://www.uglyducklinghotel.com