“Top Little Budget Hotel.”
Review of The Ducks Nutz

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sanur
The Ducks Nutz
Ranked #76 of 136 Sanur B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This is a budget hotel/homestay with rooms at rp400,000 for family room andrp350,000 for standard room. this includes breakfast, for this money this little hotel (6 family rooms and 6 standard rooms) beats a lot of larger hotels for value.I would give this hotel 11 out of 10 for cleanliness and helpfulness. The staff always have a smile, a chat and are always on hand to give advise on Sanur. The gardens are well kept with a little bridge over a fish pond and the swimming pool is always crystal clear. Gael and Billy, who are the owners, are always ready for a chat and a drink with you in the bar. The restuarant food is excellent and well priced with pleasant and attentative staff. All in all give it a go, you won't be dissapointed.

Room Tip: All rooms quiet and peaceful,cleaners keep rooms spotless. Most rooms need TLC but due to leasing ag...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We choose this place following a recommendation from a guide...
the rooms are extremely mouldy with the sheets full of stains and so old!!!
Dear Management for the price we pay to stay there is about time you replace those old sheets and repaint those rooms.. is just nasty!

Room Tip: you can find better in Sanur with decent room for the same or less
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank WorldTraveller z
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Negatives.
Rooms are very dated, but clean. Our Air Con, if left on, barely coped. Trouble is the cleaners turn them off, to save power obviously and we understand that, but to get the room cold enough to sleep in, we'd try and make a special trip back around 4pm, to turn them on, then shove towels in all the draft holes to keep the heat out. The bathroom only has louvre windows, so you can't stop the heat in there. That being said, we can handle the heat all day, but our only necessity is a nice cool room to sleep in.

For the price we paid (@$35/nt), we came with low expectations. The breakfast is nice, filling and good value, but obtainable anywhere along the strip for $5 or less. In real terms, means accom only was around $30 or 300,000Rp. For that money, there are better options. The owners also hang around like bar flys unconsciously willing you to hang around to eat and drink. All bills are payable only in cash. No c/cards or EFT deposits.

The pool tiles are razor sharp. Especially if your toes have been in there a while and softened up. Owners claimed to be result of recent earth tremors, but they suspiciously look to have been that way for years. BE VERY CAREFUL IN THE POOL.

There is no Balinese "ambience."

Positives.
As is typical in Bali, the Balinese staff are just sensational. A good location for shopping and dining. Beach is accessible a short walk away. Bemo's and Taxis are available all the time. You really can get anywhere along the strip for $1 in a Bemo. Rooms are clean and cleaned daily. All meals we ate there were nice. Alcohol is very reasonably priced. The Owners are very friendly and helpful. It is very good value-for-money. DVD and (small, old CRT)TVs in rooms are good for watching and testing all your DVD purchases.

We enjoyed our stay here. We did not expect 5 star luxury and certainly did not find any. We did get 5 star service, which is all you can ask for at an establishment priced in a very competitive market.

I probably would not stay here again, but this is based more on the fact we rarely stay in the same place twice anyway. We were very impressed with the pricing and quality of the Swastika Guesthouse (NOT Swastika Bungalows - 2 different places). We ate very nice, cheap meals there and restaurant service was good, BUT, we did not stay in the rooms, only looked. It was only $30/nt w. B/fast, and had much better, newer decor and a pool with no earth tremor damage.

If you've booked, don't be scared it is satisfactory. If you haven't weigh up your options.

Room Tip: Upstairs for security conscious, downstairs to lessen heat. No real good or bad rooms.
2  Thank sickaworkin
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Stayed here in December, I don't remember where it was recommended to us, but I stayed under mistaken impression there were not many affordable places in Sanur. Turns out there were plenty, and better than this one. This probably used to be a pleasant balinese homestay, but it has been turned into an Australian themed drinking hole, complete with the loud rock music at various times of day. I cannot understand why people move from their country to beautiful Bali and want to bring their ill conceived culture with them and impose it on their guests. On the website there is no indication we were going to be exposed to this. At the back the garden is pleasant but rooms are basic, my daughter cut her hand on a broken toilet cistern too. I've stayed in many balinese home stays, on average for something like this I pay 200,000 so it's really overpriced what they are charging here, I was expecting so much better.The breakfast you are given artificial squash, when in so many other less expensive paces you get real juice, it's quite penny pinching to be honest. I'd consider looking just a few metres away at many of the other home stays to see that for half the money you can find something just the same, the owners have invested no money int he place except for the bar.

5  Thank Helen M
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Ugly Duckling is the most unwelcoming place I have been in Indonesia. They told me if I wanted drinking water I had to pay extra. That means more than the 400 thousand Rp they were already charging me for the night (that is 60 AUD a night!!). I have stayed in places a lot cheaper than that, including in Bali (Dharma Homestay in Padang Bai for ex.), and nobody has ever charged me extra for simple water. I guess Bali is no longer what it used to be. Sadly, most of the island no longer feels like Indonesia. The touristy areas just feel like an Aussie colony. It goes to show how Aussies are incapable of appreciating anything that is not pub culture. So, my advice is GET OUT OF SANUR ASAP and expore real Indonesia!!

Room Tip: Upstairs is away from the very average western music they play
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank FedeBukittingi
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed 5 days in Dec 2011 for a girls only shopping trip to Bali. This hotel was perfect for all our needs. At $40 a night including breakfast in the morning it was the perfect place for my friends and I to stay. It is in central Sanur so close to plenty of good restaurants in the main street and an easy stroll to the beachfront ones near the Sindhu beach markets. There is only a 15 minute walk to Hardys for supermarket supplies and a 3 minute taxi ride back. A safe money changer is only a few doors down and open long hours 6 days a week.
We had rooms 17,18,19 on the top floor at the rear of the property that meant we were slightly away from the other rooms which suited us as we could then sit out on the verandah of an afternoon or morning and chat away without disturbing the other guests
These rooms had queen beds and good air-conditioning. The hotel is old but the bed was comfortable , the rooms spotlessly clean including the bathrooms too. The pool is set in lovely tropical gardens with the plants screening it from the other downstairs rooms . There are a couple of sun lounges for those not afraid of skin cancer plus a small bale with a table and 4 chairs too.
Really the highlight of the hotel is the owner Gail and her wonderful staff we really felt like we were staying with friends not at a hotel. The breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant called The Ducks Nutz I have a separate review for that.
I am sure I will be using the hotel in future trips to Bali

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed there late December 2011 with my wife and family of 4 teenage girls this Hotel is right in the middle part of Sanur's main street and is close to all restaurants and shops along with being only 5-10 minutes walk to the beach, the rooms are comfortable with TV,DVD player and Coffee & Tea making facilities. The rooms are clean and sheets changed daily, the garden & pool area at the hotel is a very nice place to relax away from the hustle and bustle of shopping and with the terrific hospitality shown by Bill & Gael along with the very friendly and helpful staff this is a place that we would recommend for any type of traveller who is mindful of a budget (especially families). Live music is played on most nights with the hotel patrons, staff and others joining in which made our stay much more enjoyable....So what more would you want for $35 AU (approx) per/night per/room including breakfast.

This is definitely a place to stay if you want some like good live entertainment , very good cheap food and one of the best places to meet new people if you don’t then be dull and stay at one of the more fancied boring resorts. As for myself my wife and children will definitely be back again. Thanks Bill, Gael & Mattie for a great time over Christmas you and your staff made it very enjoyable.

Oh Yeah do eat at The Ducks Nutz as it is cheap and the food very good.

Room Tip: "I would choose the rooms on the top floor"