“What a surprise - We'll be back”
Review of Kayu Manis

Kayu Manis
Ranked #4 of 449 Restaurants in Sanur
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We've been coming to Bali (Sanur) for 20+ years and it never ceases to throw up a surprise.

We were debating about where to go for our next meal in Sanur. We were thinking the Fire Station after a casual chat with someone in Luhtu's Cafe + reading good reviews on Tripadvisor. Then someone in another Cafe mentioned Kayu Manis and as it was close to where we were staying we thought we'd give it a go! So off we went not knowing what to expect because you're often told places are great only to be disappointed.

You'll find Kayu Manis just off the main street of Sanur (Jl Pantai Sindu) it's easy to find once you know so don't be frightened to look for it. If you're not sure just ask a local they'll point you in the right direction (most times anyway)

We were warmly welcomed and asked if we would like to be seated in the main area or the air-conditioned room. We'd not been before and chose the aircon as it was a very warm night. However, once seated we changed our mind as it felt a little sterile and lacked a bit of atmosphere. So we moved to the main area. At least you have the choice should you want to feel cool.

I ordered the prawn, coconut and papaya salad for entrée and it was very tasty and most enjoyable. 2 large prawns (you'll need to shell them and remember to take scrape away the poop tube) and a beautiful coconut and papaya salad which was thankfully not over done with dressing. It was perfectly balanced and a great start to the meal.

This was followed by the roast duck, creamy polenta, veg + beautiful sauce for my main. Now, I've been disappointed when I've ordered duck in Australia often it looks great but sadly lacking in the flavour department. Maybe I've been unlucky but I wanted to see what the Balinese could do with it. WOW....it was probably one of the best dishes I've ever eaten in Bali. The duck was cooked to perfection and the entire dish was perfectly balanced. Mixing the duck, sauce and the creamy polenta together was truly delicious and had my taste buds wanting more. It was a huge and most welcome surprise giving me yet another WOW moment beating the already great tasting starter. Why hadn't I been hear before?

I finished the meal with sticky rice and creamy coconut pudding. It was very nice but I'd say was the weaker of the 3 dishes. Maybe I was expecting more after the other 2 exceptional dishes.

Over all it was a very nice and a most enjoyable meal. The service was great the food was wonderful and the price a mere $50.00 for a 3 course meal for two (+ 4 fruit juice drinks) which is exceptional value compared to what you would pay for meal in Australia of similar quality.

I can only review what my meal & service was like on the night and it was all very, very good. What I do know is that I'm pleased I found this restaurant with a week still to spend in Bali as I'll be going back again. I don't know if I should try something else or order the same again because my mouth is watering by merely writing this review. I strongly recommend you give it a go because you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Enjoy!

2  Thank GiantEvertonian

Reviewed April 26, 2014

One of my favorite restaurants in Sanur. Good food for a reasonable price. Personal attention of the cook. Nice ambiance. Place to go back to.

2  Thank Petra V
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My husband and I had 2 lovely meals at Kayu Manis recently. We always have to have a meal there when we're in Sanur. Considering it's hidden in the back streets of Sanur, we think it's a great restaurant. The restaurant has been renovated since we were there last and looks lovely. The food has been consistently good and very reasonably priced, we've never had a bad meal. The staff were very attentive and very friendly, would definitely recommend this restaurant to family and friends.

1  Thank Bonny021
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Pretentious with over solicitous service. Tried to do a la carte looking food but everyone still hungry when we left. Had desert at another restaurant as the waiter was really irritating and, not their fault, the people on the next table were talking so loud couldn't hear ourselves think. On the plus side cocktails were good

Reviewed April 16, 2014

As there are not so many good restaurants in Sanur I can understand that a few above-average restaurants get overrated. The food is OK, price looks cheap, but the portions are pretty small. The waitresses hesitate to bring the wine, cocktail and special of today menu, which is listed on a big piece of wooden board. Service varies extremely from staff to staff.