“Beautiful waterfalls but look out for overcharging”
Review of Gitgit Waterfall

Private Full-Day West Bali Tour with Waterfall Visit
Ranked #2 of 49 things to do in Singaraja
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful waterfalls but look out for overcharging”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Last week we hired a driver for the day (Rupiah 50 000) and our driver procured a "guide" for us when he dropped us off at the top of the path to the waterfalls. He said the "guide" would show us three waterfalls and take us to a pickup point below the falls but when we asked how much the guide would cost, our driver was evasive and non commital.

A nice walk mostly downhill but when we rounded the first corner we encountered the "pay station" where no prices were displayed but you could buy refreshments. At this point we were informed that our "guide" would cost us Rupiah 200 000 each i.e. a total of Rupiah 800 000 for four adults! We were shocked but as our driver had already left we were in a bad position to negotiate, especially as we didn't have a mobile phone to contact him so we reluctantly had to pay up.

I wish we had checked tripadvisor before we went to Gitgit as this overcharging put more of a damper on the day than the showers of rain we had. The walk itself was easy and mostly on a sealed track but unsuitable for wheelchairs. The local community manage to keep the track and surroundings mostly free of rubbish which is a rare pleasure in Bali. However, we were very surprised that our "guide" made no attempt to collect the few items of rubbish that had been left by some uncaring people.

It really is a lovely walk in beautiful surroundings. If you plan on having a swim at one of the falls a pair of reef shoes would be a good idea as the pebbles are hard going with bare feet!

1 Thank Dyn-Lwcus

• Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Be prepared for a long strenous walk to reach the falls.”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The waterfalls themselves were impressive but the walk - approximately 1 kilometre each way was somewhat imposing for the elderly or unfit. Most of the path was paved but much was up & down steps or sharp inclines or declines.

2 Thank gutsache
Alor Setar, Malaysia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Beautiful but low safety promise”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I love the waterfall,really.I took my family here to watch the beauty of the waterfall and of course the whole scenery at there.But the cliff of the waterfall is very slippy which people will fall down very easily.Should make more safety security at here in case of the injured of people.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank DannyTheLast
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good place with bad guides”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Well the guide cheated me, so don't go for the guide coz he charged me 350k for the entrance of me and my small kid

2 Thank ninio5
Los Angeles, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Beware of scammers!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I'm so upset because I didn't read the reviews prior to attempting to see the waterfall. Unfortunately, my driver didn't know the details of entering either. Long story short, we attempted to enter Gitgit, it was a long ride from Ubud and one of the stops on the way to Amed. It started to rain on the way, which was the initial reason to reconsider going as we were concerned about safety. However, what sealed the deal was getting there and the "guide" telling us the price for two people is 500,000. I was in shock and really couldn't believe it. I didn't really think that the guy was lying. I just couldn't understand how a public place charged such a high entrance fee. I'm upset at myself that I didn't check for myself or try a different person!

I didn't get to see Gitgit, but maybe I would be more upset with myself if I had actually paid it, then came here and seeing how cheap it really is?

5 Thank Liyah R