All reviews mosquito net balcony terrace rented scooters nice hotel hotel is located nearby beach great pool dolphin watching fried noodles hot shower air con lovina beach pool area is minute walk to the beach dolphin trip a great place to relax nice stay
Reviewed April 10, 2014

So the hotel is nice. Lovely lush foliage all over the grounds. The staff were very nice and efficient. The pool clean and lovely.

The room however, not so much. It was the smallest room I've ever been in I believe. Hardly room to move around the bed. Internet was very slow and sporadically disappeared.

And then there's the beach:
Don't let the travel guides fool you. The beach (only 200 feet away) is dirty. Lots of garbage, water was muddy, old boats tied up all over the beach. I did not even want to get in the water for fear of what sharp trash I might step on.

So,, while it's not the hotel's fault... you are most likely going there for some beach time.. and in that case you're in for a surprise (the same issue for any hotel there actually). Lovina beach just in not clean.

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
bobbiedam47, General Manager at Suma Hotel Lovina Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2016

Thank you for your review.
Sorry for this late reply, but are happy to receive reviews. We will consider your remarks and hope you will visit sumahotel next time.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I booked a deluxe room with seaview with an extra bed via Agoda for 1 night (for parents and myself) because we wanted to go dolphin watching in the morning. When we arrived, we were told that because the seaview room is upstairs, the extra "bed" will only be a mattress on the floor as they could not bring a bed upstairs (no lifts, only stairs). I wanted a proper extra bed, so they gave me a room on the first floor, with 1 double bed and 1 single bed and was very near the pool. I didn't get any refund but that's OK because it happened that my mom was having issues with her knee so stair climbing was not so ideal.

The room was decent. The beds had mosquito nets which was cool. :) they also had an electric mosquito repellent in the room which you plug into the power socket. Mini bar, kettle with instant coffee, TV, air-conditioning & ceiling fan were in the room. There is a little patio with chairs outside the room which was rather quaint. The bathroom was so-so .... it was a bit old but i was there for only 1 night so it's ok.

The hotel is very near the beach. You can find many boats that will take you out to watch dolphins for 50,000-70,000 per person. I paid slightly more for mine as it was arranged via my driver/guide but still, it was very cheap. :) We didn't explore very much except the beach & the Jl Laviana as my mom couldn't walk so much. :P Jalan Kalibukbuk is a bit of a walk away (may 5-10 mins) which has more restaurants & shops.

There is a spa opposite the entrance of Suma hotel but I thought the prices were too much. I didn't realize Suma has a spa as well, otherwise I'd have gone for a massage or something.

Breakfast was GREAT! The Indonesian breakfast - Nasi Goreng and Mie Goreng were delicious! especially the Nasi Goreng (fried rice). it was so good that we ordered an additional plate. :)

The hotel is good for a night's stay. The staff were also very friendly. For that kinda price, there really can't be any complaints. I would totally come back here again because of the dolphins. Make this the first stop of your trip and you will be feeling great for the rest of the time! :)

Room tip: extra bed on 2nd floor will be mattress only.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank surelyeverything

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The central pool and garden make this place great- and its proximity to the quiet beach. The staff were typically helpful and young. Food was pretty good. the only downsides were a few things weren't working- our fridge was warm and musty, the airconditioner did not work at all and the safe needed some work.

Room tip: The upstairs deluxe room had a sea view and good sized balcony
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 17, 2014

actually we have some limited time to holiday, so we want a special holiday and after looking some comments in tripadvisor we choose suma hotel for us.. the location is good, near the beach. and we impressed with the atmosphere, really balinese touch in every corner of the hotel.
when we checked in, we can feel balinese touch. but after entering the room we try to call reception but there is no telephone! and we have to back down to ground floor just want to informed that our tumbler glass already broken!

i thought it was ok without telephone, and we enjoyed swimming pool with my daughter.. in the evening the most shocking problem appearance.. when my daughter spoiled her snacks into our bed, i directly asked reception to change our bed sheet. but i was shocked when he came with new linen and told us "we have no evening shift in housekeeping so you change your linen by your self".. and i said "what? how come??? come on you told me to change by my self??".. and he just left us behind without any clear situation solved.. amazing!

the breakfast is standard, nothing special.. we have to take cutlery by our self, and just standard..

we supposed to extend our stay but we decided to choose another hotel.

dont forget to bring your mosquito body lotion,, mosquito attack is horrible in the night even they provide mosquito net..

• Trip type: Traveled with family

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I would have given the hotel five stars if there hadn't been this little problem at our arrival. Via internet, we booked and payed for the hotel room AND the transport from the airport, but when we arrived, nobody was there to pick us up. We had to make several phone calls and it took them quite a while to figure out that our reservation had been "lost" (the e-mail address on their website was not the right one apparently), so we waited at the airport for 3 hours until finally being picked up.

To be fair, I have to say that we were fully refunded for the phone costs and that they gave us a free upgrade ("deluxe" instead of "superior"). Staff was also very friendly and the room really nice (fridge, air conditioning, mosquito net, working WiFi).

So in total, I would recommend the hotel, just don't pay anything in advance (not necessary, especially during low season).

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple