“Why stay anywhere else in Bali?”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Club Med Bali

and 1 more site!
Club Med Bali
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Perth, Australia
“Why stay anywhere else in Bali?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

From the moment of arriving in Club Med you feel like part of the family. And that feeling stays with you throughout your holiday. The Chief of Village and GO team are a fantastic bunch who go out of their way to make you feel special even though they've done it a million times before. That also goes for the bar staff, both in the main bar and the one down on the beach. Either everyone is having a great time at work or they're very good actors. I could not single out one person for praise at this resort because it just doesn't matter where you are there's someone smiling at you and making sure that you're having a good time. The food is generally very good but the restaurant could do with a makeover, as could the rooms which are looking a little tired now although they're still very comfortable and clean. All in all great value for money.

Room Tip: Ground floor with a balcony
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mobright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I could well be a "Negative Nancy" as some reviewers are, but overall I had a good experience at Club Med Bali.

I rarely go to resorts for holidays, but this time my partner had a business event at Club Med and we had no other option but to stay there. I also add the fact we brought our two kids along.

I'm even trying to figure out why so much flak from other reviewers, either I was quite lucky during my stay or the Negative Nancy's expect the impossible. There is a review from an Aussie (Mick M from Perth) that states 95% of people were Chinese. It's easy to understand how ignorant he is, as there was in fact a significant Asian demographic, they were not just from China, but also from Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia and Hong Kong. Guess what "Mick M", Indonesia IS in Asia and tourism by Asians is growing, specially package holidays. Another one from the same Xenophobic gentleman was about the food being most nights rice and noodles. This could never be further away from the truth. There is a huge variety and differs every day. Some food is good, some not so good but overall, you can actually have a reasonably healthy meal if you choose properly.
There were other reviews about how bad the rooms are. Again, I must be a lucky guy because mine was always very clean and looked after. I admit there's always room for improvement (pun not intended), but if you worry too much about the room, you have a serious problem and my advice is to get out of the room more often. Strange how they didn't complain that the TV was not a 82" LCD LED 3D with +600 channels and 7.1 sound system...

Regarding the Gentil Organisateur (GOs), Pierre was the interim Chef de Village and welcomed us personally. Two days later at a "Bali Vegas" night, I ended up playing Poker with him and a couple more people. We went heads up but he won in the end, so be careful when playing against him ;)
There were a lot of GOs who knew us and specially our kids. There was a review from another Negative Nancy saying that if you were there as a family you were excluded. Again, I was either quite lucky or this couldn't be further away from the truth. I believe Club Med is marketed more specifically at families, but couples (or even singles) can enjoy their holidays without any major issues too. The GOs know tourists paid a small fortune to be at the resort, so the least they could is be nice to us (which they were) and help us with anything. Special regards to Dana, May, Gavin and Claire who were the GOs I spent more time chatting.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have kids under 4 years and want them to be looked after, you have to pay extra, which defies the concept of all-inclusive. In my case, both my kids were under 4 but I didn't use their petit or mini club, so I don't have a formal opinion on this service.

The internet was OK, the wireless could be a bit faster, but I hardly used it. If you desperately need the internet all the time, I recommend therapy, not a resort.

My only observation is regarding the music that was pumping at night. For me it hardly made any difference as I'm a lump and fall asleep easily, but for some people it could be annoying. My advice is to request a room a bit further away from the main bar. Either way, by midnight the music was over.

Would I recommend people to stay at Club Med Bali? If you are a ungrateful idiot, xenophobic snob, cherry picking imbecil or all of the above, who expect absolute perfection, I would say to find something else. If you like traveling with your family on package holidays, are OK with imperfections and don't mind the slightly priced rates, this could well be your best option in Bali.

Room Tip: Due to music in the evening, ask for a room further away from the main bar or faced the other side.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank nunomgomes
Belmont, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed here for a week for a family vacation and it has everything Club Med offers - endless food, activities for the kids, nightly entertainment. Do not come here expecting a luxury world-class hotel - the rooms are old, but comfortable, and yes there are bugs but it is difficult to find a place where the staff is trained to take care of the children and keep them entertained for days.

Compared to the only other Club Med we have been to (Sandpiper Florida) the food here is more varied (though quality may not be as good), the staff is much more friendly (though they are not as well-trained - there were some GOs who were clearly very new and inexperienced).

We like the pools, though they can get very crowded, and the chairs on the beach are just fantastic. Look out for touts on the fringe of the property hawking a variety of wares/activities. The adult only pool/spa area is a very cool respite from the heat and buzz of the rest of the resort.

Being in Bali there are plenty of other things to do outside the hotel so that would be a good reason to come here compared to other Club Med in the region. The one big issue we had with this place is that dinner is served late (7 pm) and that makes it difficult to manage the schedule of our young children so goes to bed early.

Overall a good stay

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor for easy access to the beach
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I was in Clubmed Bali for 4days with my mum and niece. We have never feel boring where ever in the villages, when ever from morning to midnight. Even though the rooms are not luxury, the housekeeping and luggage services are impressive and make us very comfortable with the relax time in room, for that I would say thanks to the housekeeping manager Sagar, he was so considerate and caring. Besides enjoying sunshine,beach and party, we also enjoy very much the talk with GO and their great talent show. I was impressive so much with the positive mental attitude and talent of the young people their. I would not forget the talk with Sagar and Pierre.
I a word, I will choice clubmed in my future trip for holidays ,the energized and friendly young people can give you an unforgettable holiday both in physical and in emotion ,which can help to refresh yourself very much! And that can never be got in other hotels.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Dinah_Li
Herts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

During December 2013 - Jan 2014 I had the misfortune of staying at Clud Med Bali.

the holiday got off to the worst possible start, for a number of days previously I had requested a private car so that my 10 month year old daughter could travel safely to the resort. I checked and re-checked this as i know the dangerous nature of Bali traffic. What we got was a minibus which was not suitable to carry a babies car seat. Waht really amazed me however was the arrogance and feedback recieved from the hotel when i complained about this. they simply didnt see this as an issue until i expressed the fact they had risked my childs life by sending inappropriate transport.

other low lights include...

Club med welcome.
The Welcome at Club Med was about the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel, the lady who greeted us was rude and dismissive of my distress that we had just had to take a bus to the resort. She merely stated that the club probably didn’t have a car big enough to take us (which was a lie as we returned to the hotel in a car which was sufficient). during the introduction she was very rude to my children and in general created a terrible first impression of Club med.

Room facilities.
This is probably a recurring compliant about Club Med bali, in that the hotel accommodation is without doubt not 4* standard. the rooms are dated, small and of a very poor standard. Some investment really needs to be done on these rooms as they are lacking. after complaining to the resort they were at pains to state this is star rating is a independant rating - which i respect - however in my "personal" opinion it is not 4 star.

Petit Club Med.
I enrolled my Child in Petit club med and he went each morning to partake in the activities. Although upbeat and friendly the "GOs" who ran the petit club med did not seem to have any basic training on how to look after young children, I was constantly worried about my sons safety in the club and thus was checking on him every 30mins, which hindered what little time me and my wife got to ourselves. In addition the hygiene of the room that the petit club med was run out of was a disgrace, it was basically filthy - one child that my son was with contracted a vomiting virus while there and on the last day my son caught this virus, meaning he was sick for 48 hours during our flight back.. (you can only imagine the difficulty this created flying back to London) nothing was done in the club about hygiene and preventing this virus from spreading. In the UK this nursery would be closed down.
Club med have acting negligently in its responsibilities running this club. they stated to me in my complaint not all GPs are qualified meaning your putting your children at risk at this kids club.

Ambience at Club Med / GOs at club med
This is a personal opinion rather than the factual issues above, however I felt the Ambience at club med was targeted to set demographics and not to others. If you had young children you felt excluded - if there were no "GOs" sharing your nationality - you felt excluded. only the reception manger "Dany" showed any sense of welcoming to our family. I would make special issue to the head of the GO staff who NEVER at any point in the holiday introduced himself, made eye contact with me or even said hello - staggering in my opinion as he must have been aware of the issues we had during the stay..

after i returned I stated all of the above queries down to complain and was met with a response that feedback would be given within 28 days! literally on the 28th day i get an extremely generic reply saying sorry i didnt have a good stay and that they will offer a 10% discount to my next club med holiday - when pushed they refused to show even part of the investigation carried out in this "28 day" period... basically they used my compliant as a base to sell more products and behaved in the same arrogant manner as the people at the resort - for that reason i will never attend a club med holiday again - and i suggest no one else does.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank TomHerts
ClubMedUK_official, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Bali, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Customer,
We would like to thank you for your comments about the overall aspect of the Resort. It is only with constructive criticism from loyal customers such as you that Club Med will be able to improve its offer in all its resorts worldwide.
We understand that you have been dissatisfied with several aspects of your stay especially with regards the transportation of your family to the resort. Please note that the safety of our guests is absolute paramount to us and we do uphold our clients safety and wellbeing at the highest possible level.
We would like also to advise you that any further position from ourselves in regards to your on-going claim with UK Customer Relations Deparment about your overall experience in Club Med Bali will be be dealt with directly.

Yours sincerely
Beatriz Reis
Customer Relations Manager | Club Med SA (UK) Branch
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 10 days there with my kids and grand kids. I'll start with the positives. Lovely location and grounds, nice beach, great and friendly staff. Kids club was very well executed and the staff to child ratio was very high. Staff was attentive, professional and kept the kids interested with fun activities.

Now for the negatives. The place is old and needs an upgrade. It was very hot and humid and the air conditioning barely worked. There was wifi but it was very slow and intermittent. The food was average but there was variety. The buffet should have had more fresh choices like a sandwich bar, a grill for fresh fish and meats (there was fish and meat but most of it was pre-cooked and sitting in a warmer or sauce of some kind). The was a fresh pasta bar once. The fresh fruit was usually over ripe and often tasted "off". The pool had very little shade and the water was always too hot and therefore not too refreshing. The ocean water was much cooler. They are building a new adult pool with better shade, but this won't be ready for some time yet. Apparently they are planning to rebuild the rooms but not for 2 years - I would wait until these are completed before going. The biggest complaint that we had was in the booking process from Canada. I had spoken with a representative on the phone several times before the trip but despite this was not informed of several important issues. First of all my son and his kids (aged 2&5) were booked into a room with a single king sized bed. I'm guess the representative felt that they could all sleep in the same bed as it was never suggested to me that another type of room was more appropriate for them. When we arrived and found out that this was the case we were able to get a crib for the younger one (even though he has been sleeping in a bed for over a year) and we couldn't get a cot for the older one for 6 days. We were told that we could upgrade to a more appropriate room in a few days (due to availability) for an added cost - this should have been offered to me by the booking representative when I booked the holiday. After arriving and finding out about this booking error I sent an email to club med in Montreal (where I booked the holiday) explaining the dilemma and asking them to try and help me solve the problem. I am still waiting for a response to this email and I have been home for several days now. Also, when booking I was not informed that I had to have $25 US cash per person to purchase a visa upon entering Bali and 150,000 rupiah per person to leave. It was only through my own due diligence that I figured this out before we left and had the appropriate cash on hand. When I called the representative 2 days before we left to tell them that I should have been informed about this in advance and to find out what other preparations I needed to make before we left they informed me that some of this information was on the voucher emailed to me and that they would expedite an email to me with any other information that I needed - I am still waiting for this email as well. When I checked the voucher it indicated only that we needed to have the exit fees on hand and that this money would be provided to us by club med if we booked our flights through them. This option was never offered to me by the representative when booking the holiday and so I booked my own flights. I guess once they have your money the care factor is gone.

In summary, nice location but very hot and humid. Average food; rooms and pool need an upgrade. Great staff - friendly, professional and attentive. Horrible booking experience - make sure you have done your own due diligence before booking and ask all the the right questions while booking because otherwise you will not be adequately prepared for your trip by the club med representative, at least from the Montreal office.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Eric B
Thionville, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Really enjoyed the all inclusive package in Club Med. Facilities are amazing and crew member so nice. Club Med is charging a bit too much according to me for all extra services. Hopefully there are not mandatory and we did not use any of them, so we did not pay anything on top and that was soooo nice!
Two things we loved: The Food and the Quiet Pool!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Mirage Resort
Grand Mirage Resort
#8 of 29 in Tanjung Benoa
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,789 reviews

Been to Club Med Bali? Share your experiences!