“Not flash but nice”

Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Perth, Australia
“Not flash but nice”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This isn't the flashiest resort in Nusa Dua but the service makes up for this. Its a nice resort which has all the nice facilities for all families,
The pool is huge and the facilities around the pool is enjoyable.
We booked a 2 bedroom suite and upon arrival got upgraded to a 3 bedroom suite with 3 bathrooms. What a pleasure. We also arranged for half board( full breakfast and full buffet every night) We didn't want to venture out too much this time so eating at the resort suited us. The service is exceptional and everyone is always friendly. My daughter got seriously sick overnight last night and i rang reception at 4 am and they were more than accommodating in getting her to the doctor.

Shuttle buses are on offer all the time to the beach and the shopping centre.

The area and the resort had quite a lot of Russian guests and we enjoyed watching them "steal" food at the breakfast buffets every morning. Large lumps of croissants and cakes got stuffed into their bags like thieves. We got one on video yesterday. Check it out on youtube ' Russian lady stealing food at buffet"

Good resort and recommended.

Room Tip: Suites are great for families wanting space. Learn Russian:-)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Perth-Bok
novotelbalinusadua, Front Office Manager at Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Greetings from Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences!!

Thank you for your positive feedback posted on TripAdvisor.com. We are very pleased to know that you had enjoyable stay in our resort.

Total guest satisfaction is our most concern and it is reward for us to know that we able to give you lasting and memorable experience.

Once again thank you for sharing and we will be more than happy to welcome you back here in our resort in the near future.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Echuca, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We loved our stay at the Novotel. We took all 4 children aged from 18mths to 16 and all were catered for. The kids loved the pool and the buffet breakfast. The staff were all very friendly and so very helpful. The facilities were clean and the gardens beautiful. We also loved the convenience store and pizza shop out the back. We made a point of eating in the hotel as much as possible to avoid our little one getting sick and when never had any problems, no Bali belly and the theme nights were great fun. Its not located on the beach but it was so simple to get on the bus and arrive in a few minutes. If you need a driver Nyoman has a stall on market nights and is a very honest and reliable man...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bella M
novotelbalinusadua, Front Office Manager at Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear sir,
Greetings from Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences!!

Sydney
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We chose this hotel after a week in Seminyak so our son could visit the beach. For this purpose the hotel is great and is ideal for families. The good and the bad:
Good:
- Size of the 2 bedroom apartment was huge and the layout great
- Shuttle buses to shopping centre and beach club good
- Kids club
- My mother became ill and the front desk staff were prompt and helpful in organising a doctor. (These staff were generally the most helpful and well trained).
Bad:
- Check-in. After waiting in the cafe for 2 hours after the check-in time for our room, I was not impressed. Nor was our 3 year old. I chased up after 1.5 hours when we would get our room and was met with a quite surly response. When we were collected the staff member asked if I was the one that complained about having to wait for my room! No offer of a free drink, cold towel, nothing. Which, by the way, was supposed to be included in the package I had bought.
- I had booked a 2 bedroom apartment and requested 1 king + 2 twin beds. We got 2 king beds. After 2 days of asking for the twin beds, or a rollaway for my son we gave up. I kept being told they could make up the daybed from the balcony. Nobody seemed to believe me that we didn't have a day bed! I ended up getting some sheets and put him on the lounge chair.
- What hotel still has huge old CRTVs?
- The staff in general had a pretty low care factor about their customers. Some of the wait staff were nice and helpful, and as mentioned the front desk staff were good, but overall I've never visited a Novotel with staff with such attitude, particularly never in a Bali hotel.
- There is no hotel compendium in the apartments. I asked where to find information on the hotel and was told to ask the front desk each time I wanted to know something. How hard is it to put a hotel directory in the room?

I own a travel agency and stayed at this hotel to evaluate it for my clients' requirements. I am doubtful I will recommend this hotel to them when there are others in the area with better service standards.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank BMSydney
novotelbalinusadua, Front Office Manager at Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Warmest greeting from Novotel Nusa Dua Bali Hotel & Residence,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Benny Wijaya
Assistant Front Office Manager
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Have been going to bali for years now however this was our first time staying in Nusa Dua. We stayed in your standard room as far as I was aware.

Pros:
1. Massive rooms
2. Nice size pool
3. Friendly staff
4. Easy check-in and out
5. Pricing is not bad for Nusa Dua
6. Breakfast was good

Cons:
1. TV is simply to small for the massive room and hard to see.
2. Not on the beach
3. Beach club they have is terrible
4. Lift is always hot for some reason (hot even for Bali, everyone used the stairs).
5. Only about 2/3 channels were watchable on the TV as there was a frustrating lag between the voice and mouth.
6. Bathrooms had a large amount of mould
7. No service around the pool
8. Not a honeymoon hotel, so lessened learnt there(way to many kids)

Look, overall the hotel was nice, but small things did become frustrating. So probably won't be coming back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Benny Wijaya
Assistant Front Office Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

As always excellent customer service, I believe it is ingrained in the Balinese culture. There is nothing too hard or difficult for them. Before I begin, I would like to thank Manager Vita, waiting staff Bayu and Boni, for making this an excellent stay for my family of five during Christmas and the New Year.

Highlights:
- Family friendly
- Excellent Customer service
- Excellent amenities
- Beautiful resort
- Excellent Beach Club
- Excellent Dinning service
As a matter of fact, as a family, we opted to dine in the hotel restaurants and kiosk during our stay. Excellent food choices from the main dinning area to the beach club.
If you are looking to purchase certain incidentals through out the day. There is a coffee/bakery at the rear of the premises. If you are looking to purchase sunblock lotions etc. There is a convenient store also at the rear of the premises called K circle.

Could be better:
- The shower recess. It tends to flood with water while your showering, to the point that I had to call hotel maintenance to get it service. After servicing, it happened again the day after and through out our stay. Again small price to pay for the excellent customer service.
- Mosquitos. Heaps of Mosquitos around. Remember to ask hotel management to spray your room before arrival. Again, minimal.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vinny151272
novotelbalinusadua, Front Office Manager at Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear sir,

Warmest greeting from Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences!!!

We delighted to learn that you and your family had an enjoyable and memorable experience with us. Your feedback at TripAdvisor.com certainly encourage us to continuously strive for excellent.

Nusa Dua Area is the best choice for holiday in Bali, combine with serene environment and beautiful beaches in the same area as well as providing local touch.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience and i will share your feedback with the entire Novotel Bali Nusa Dua team and we look forward to welcome you back here in Bali.

Mrs. Rachmah Pontoh
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at the Novotel in December 2012 for a couple of nights and thought we should stay longer, so for our annual trip each December to Bali, booked in for a week at the Novotel (big mistake). We generally stay in very decent, but budget accommodation in Bali (around AUD$80) and have never had any complaints. The Novotel was closer to AUD$220 per night (excluding everything by accommodation) so we expected so much more than we got.

First things first. I booked the accommodation through the Novotel website and must have sent a half dozen emails during the booking process to ensure everything was as requested. Travelling with 2 children, we asked for a day bed to be put into our 1 bedroom suite to save the expense of a 2 bedroom suite. Everything was sorted prior to our arrival and I must say, the email communication was very good.

On arriving we were informed that we did not have breakfast included, which surprised me as I was certain it was in my booking. I then recalled seeing (which I printed and took with me), that kids staying with a parent ate free and knowing the prices for food at the Novatel, figured this would be a cheaper option that paying in advance. On arrival, how wrong my impression was to be!!!

We were advised that children only ate free if parents paid for the all inclusive package at the time of booking. We were then offered a cheaper package where the children had discounted meals, but it still equated to over AUD$40 each morning for breakfast (which in Bali is highway robbery). Even after showing my booking document which clearly indicated children staying and eating with a paying parent ate for free to the receptionist and the manager, we were refused this deal. I then asked (as we had not checked in) whether we could change our package to the one which allegedly entitled the kids to eat free and were advised this was not possible as it had to be done at the time of booking.

Well, to enable us to get into our room we simply did what we had to do to check in and started our holiday at the Novotel.

The room (a one bedroom suite) was adequate in all respects and you really can't complain about the rooms (except for our travelling partners who had a time share room in Block 4 - but that's another story). The only downside of the room was the shower set-up which was over a bath. I don't have any real issues with this, except the water from the shower ran along the back of the bath and onto the floor everytime we showered. Still, this was not sufficient to put us off the room experience.

We wentured to the pool, which is quite nice and promptly ordered food, drinks and icecreams for the kids whilst waiting for our friends to get into their room. Now we have travelled to Bali since 1985 and on this particular trip had already beein in Indonesia for 3 weeks including Nusa Lembongan, Kuta and Ubud. What I am getting at it this wasn't our first day where we ate and drank ourselves into oblivion (as can be the case with holiday excitement). We did enjoy ourselves though right up until we got the bill. AUD$280 for 4 adults and 3 kids. It wasn't until we reviewed the bill that we saw we were paying 5 star prices for the food and drinks. For example, a tall bottle of Bintang at any Circle K, restaurant or accomodation that we have ever stayed at besides the Novotel runs are between 1500Rp to 2800Rp. The Novotel was over 6500Rp per bottle (needless to say we ended up buying all of our liquor from the Circle K next door and having drinks on our balcony each night to save paying 5 star prices.

The next big issue is the service around the pool area. It was almost (and I need to stress), almost impossible to get served a drink or food at the pool area. Numerous staff were walking around near the bar, at the cash register and in the foyer area, but unless they were talking to each other, their heads were pointed to the ground and ignored guests. In the 7 days we spent at the Novotel, I think I managed to flag down one of the staff 6 times, but had to walk to the bar to get served every other time. I am pretty sure I mentioned in in my last post on this venue, they really must improve service in this area.

There was one exception to the rule, the lovely Wini. I have never been so impressed with a staff member anywhere in the world. She could remember 7 complex food and drink orders (each with variations from the menu) and have each one delivered perfectly without writing down a thing. To go with the exceptional personality, this is a trait that the Novotel should be aiming for as oposed to the other staff who appeared to be disinchanted with the whole (work for a living methodology).

Without going into too much detail regarding our travelling companions, the father is the Managing Director of a rather large Autralian company, travels the world on a regular basis and has stayed with the Novotel brand for many years. He is now so put off Novotel, he will be cancelling at intended stops within this brand, including those of his staff. It wasn't because of the prices, nor the leaking showers, but the staff (with the exception of Wini), simply didn't care.

On checking out, my travelling partners checked their bags with reception as we had to check out by 11am and then use the transit lounge until 6pm due to our late flight. My collegues bags were supposed to be taken to a secure storage room for this duration and as I was checking out I saw their bags sitting in the middle of the road at concierge. I stayed with my bags until they were stored away and then made mention to management that my friends bags needed to go into the secure room also. I was advised that this would be done immediately so I went to the pool to catch up with my family and friends.

After about 30 minutes I thought I should check on my friends bags and lo and behold, they were still sitting in the middle of the road as before. I again spoke to management who took me to the storage room stating there was not enough room for my friends bags to be put in. Sure enough, the room was tiny and full to the brim with used water bottles. I quickly dispensed of 3 or 4 of these empty water bottles, moved some rubbish around and who would have guessed, but all of my friends bags and more were easily accommodated. Just imaging if this was not followed up by ourselves, my friends bags would have sat out in the open, unnaccompanied for over 6 hours, is this 5 or 2 star accommodation and service.

Lastly, back onto breakfast. Having negotiated not to do the breakfast deal after one day and paying over AUD$40, we looked at the room service menu which was quite comprehensive and a darned site more cost effective at around AUD$28 for our family of 4. We decided to do this each morning instead of the buffet and the only draw back was the food was always delivered cold.

My wife then booked in for a spa treatment to get a facial (her one and only treat during our stay). All was going swimmingly well, right up until 5 minutes into the treatment when the angle grinder started up and continued for the duration of her treatment. Not the easiest way to relax with that sort of noise right next to you.

The last point (besides all of the water polo balls having holes in them and not being replaced) was the fumigation. On a regular occurrence, staff were fumigating the hotel. This doesn;'t sound like such a big deal, but of an afternoon (at least 3 of our 7), staff would walk around with a petrol operated fumigator which poured out so much smoke like gas that you couldn't see out of your room or breathe if you were outside. Now I understand they have to tackle pests, but no other hotels we have stayed at did this and surely it could have been done late at night or very early in the morning when most guests are in the rooms asleep etc, as opposed to in the afternoon when you are forced into your room to be able to breathe.

I don't like writing negative reviews and am not a whinger, but our expensive week at the Novotel Nusa Dua has not only put us off staying at this venue, but has put both ourselves and our travelling partners completely off the Novotel brand.

For those of you who are looking for great accommodation and reasonable prices in Nusa Dua, there are literally dozens of very fine establishments in close proximity to the Novotel, have a good look at these before you book here. I'm not a first timer in Bali or Nusa Dua so heed the warning.

Room Tip: Do not stay in time share accommodation. Our friends stayed in these which were not serviced (not e...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Chris G
Dear Guest,

Warmest greeting from Novotel Nusa Dua Bali Hotel and Residence,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Nusa Dua Bali Hotel and Residence. I am terribly disappointed that your visit was less than acceptable and that you were left with a poor impression of us. Please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of our team.

Your feedback will be a part of our upcoming discussions with each department concerned. Feedback such as yours allows us to discover how we can be better in the future. We strive to create great guest experiences however in your case we fell far from our mark.

Mrs. Rachmah Pontoh