“Enjoy my holiday but.....”

Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences
Ranked #24 of 55 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed January 6, 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
3  Thank john8877
novotelbalinusadua, Front Office Manager at Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (3,013)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

As always excellent customer service, I believe it is ingrained in the Balinese culture. There is nothing too hard or difficult for them. Before I begin, I would like to thank Manager Vita, waiting staff Bayu and Boni, for making this an excellent stay for my family of five during Christmas and the New Year.

Highlights:
- Family friendly
- Excellent Customer service
- Excellent amenities
- Beautiful resort
- Excellent Beach Club
- Excellent Dinning service
As a matter of fact, as a family, we opted to dine in the hotel restaurants and kiosk during our stay. Excellent food choices from the main dinning area to the beach club.
If you are looking to purchase certain incidentals through out the day. There is a coffee/bakery at the rear of the premises. If you are looking to purchase sunblock lotions etc. There is a convenient store also at the rear of the premises called K circle.

Could be better:
- The shower recess. It tends to flood with water while your showering, to the point that I had to call hotel maintenance to get it service. After servicing, it happened again the day after and through out our stay. Again small price to pay for the excellent customer service.
- Mosquitos. Heaps of Mosquitos around. Remember to ask hotel management to spray your room before arrival. Again, minimal.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vinny151272

Dear sir,

Warmest greeting from Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences!!!

We delighted to learn that you and your family had an enjoyable and memorable experience with us. Your feedback at TripAdvisor.com certainly encourage us to continuously strive for excellent.

Nusa Dua Area is the best choice for holiday in Bali, combine with serene environment and beautiful beaches in the same area as well as providing local touch.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience and i will share your feedback with the entire Novotel Bali Nusa Dua team and we look forward to welcome you back here in Bali.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at the Novotel in December 2012 for a couple of nights and thought we should stay longer, so for our annual trip each December to Bali, booked in for a week at the Novotel (big mistake). We generally stay in very decent, but budget accommodation in Bali (around AUD$80) and have never had any complaints. The Novotel was closer to AUD$220 per night (excluding everything by accommodation) so we expected so much more than we got.

First things first. I booked the accommodation through the Novotel website and must have sent a half dozen emails during the booking process to ensure everything was as requested. Travelling with 2 children, we asked for a day bed to be put into our 1 bedroom suite to save the expense of a 2 bedroom suite. Everything was sorted prior to our arrival and I must say, the email communication was very good.

On arriving we were informed that we did not have breakfast included, which surprised me as I was certain it was in my booking. I then recalled seeing (which I printed and took with me), that kids staying with a parent ate free and knowing the prices for food at the Novatel, figured this would be a cheaper option that paying in advance. On arrival, how wrong my impression was to be!!!

We were advised that children only ate free if parents paid for the all inclusive package at the time of booking. We were then offered a cheaper package where the children had discounted meals, but it still equated to over AUD$40 each morning for breakfast (which in Bali is highway robbery). Even after showing my booking document which clearly indicated children staying and eating with a paying parent ate for free to the receptionist and the manager, we were refused this deal. I then asked (as we had not checked in) whether we could change our package to the one which allegedly entitled the kids to eat free and were advised this was not possible as it had to be done at the time of booking.

Well, to enable us to get into our room we simply did what we had to do to check in and started our holiday at the Novotel.

The room (a one bedroom suite) was adequate in all respects and you really can't complain about the rooms (except for our travelling partners who had a time share room in Block 4 - but that's another story). The only downside of the room was the shower set-up which was over a bath. I don't have any real issues with this, except the water from the shower ran along the back of the bath and onto the floor everytime we showered. Still, this was not sufficient to put us off the room experience.

We wentured to the pool, which is quite nice and promptly ordered food, drinks and icecreams for the kids whilst waiting for our friends to get into their room. Now we have travelled to Bali since 1985 and on this particular trip had already beein in Indonesia for 3 weeks including Nusa Lembongan, Kuta and Ubud. What I am getting at it this wasn't our first day where we ate and drank ourselves into oblivion (as can be the case with holiday excitement). We did enjoy ourselves though right up until we got the bill. AUD$280 for 4 adults and 3 kids. It wasn't until we reviewed the bill that we saw we were paying 5 star prices for the food and drinks. For example, a tall bottle of Bintang at any Circle K, restaurant or accomodation that we have ever stayed at besides the Novotel runs are between 1500Rp to 2800Rp. The Novotel was over 6500Rp per bottle (needless to say we ended up buying all of our liquor from the Circle K next door and having drinks on our balcony each night to save paying 5 star prices.

The next big issue is the service around the pool area. It was almost (and I need to stress), almost impossible to get served a drink or food at the pool area. Numerous staff were walking around near the bar, at the cash register and in the foyer area, but unless they were talking to each other, their heads were pointed to the ground and ignored guests. In the 7 days we spent at the Novotel, I think I managed to flag down one of the staff 6 times, but had to walk to the bar to get served every other time. I am pretty sure I mentioned in in my last post on this venue, they really must improve service in this area.

There was one exception to the rule, the lovely Wini. I have never been so impressed with a staff member anywhere in the world. She could remember 7 complex food and drink orders (each with variations from the menu) and have each one delivered perfectly without writing down a thing. To go with the exceptional personality, this is a trait that the Novotel should be aiming for as oposed to the other staff who appeared to be disinchanted with the whole (work for a living methodology).

Without going into too much detail regarding our travelling companions, the father is the Managing Director of a rather large Autralian company, travels the world on a regular basis and has stayed with the Novotel brand for many years. He is now so put off Novotel, he will be cancelling at intended stops within this brand, including those of his staff. It wasn't because of the prices, nor the leaking showers, but the staff (with the exception of Wini), simply didn't care.

On checking out, my travelling partners checked their bags with reception as we had to check out by 11am and then use the transit lounge until 6pm due to our late flight. My collegues bags were supposed to be taken to a secure storage room for this duration and as I was checking out I saw their bags sitting in the middle of the road at concierge. I stayed with my bags until they were stored away and then made mention to management that my friends bags needed to go into the secure room also. I was advised that this would be done immediately so I went to the pool to catch up with my family and friends.

After about 30 minutes I thought I should check on my friends bags and lo and behold, they were still sitting in the middle of the road as before. I again spoke to management who took me to the storage room stating there was not enough room for my friends bags to be put in. Sure enough, the room was tiny and full to the brim with used water bottles. I quickly dispensed of 3 or 4 of these empty water bottles, moved some rubbish around and who would have guessed, but all of my friends bags and more were easily accommodated. Just imaging if this was not followed up by ourselves, my friends bags would have sat out in the open, unnaccompanied for over 6 hours, is this 5 or 2 star accommodation and service.

Lastly, back onto breakfast. Having negotiated not to do the breakfast deal after one day and paying over AUD$40, we looked at the room service menu which was quite comprehensive and a darned site more cost effective at around AUD$28 for our family of 4. We decided to do this each morning instead of the buffet and the only draw back was the food was always delivered cold.

My wife then booked in for a spa treatment to get a facial (her one and only treat during our stay). All was going swimmingly well, right up until 5 minutes into the treatment when the angle grinder started up and continued for the duration of her treatment. Not the easiest way to relax with that sort of noise right next to you.

The last point (besides all of the water polo balls having holes in them and not being replaced) was the fumigation. On a regular occurrence, staff were fumigating the hotel. This doesn;'t sound like such a big deal, but of an afternoon (at least 3 of our 7), staff would walk around with a petrol operated fumigator which poured out so much smoke like gas that you couldn't see out of your room or breathe if you were outside. Now I understand they have to tackle pests, but no other hotels we have stayed at did this and surely it could have been done late at night or very early in the morning when most guests are in the rooms asleep etc, as opposed to in the afternoon when you are forced into your room to be able to breathe.

I don't like writing negative reviews and am not a whinger, but our expensive week at the Novotel Nusa Dua has not only put us off staying at this venue, but has put both ourselves and our travelling partners completely off the Novotel brand.

For those of you who are looking for great accommodation and reasonable prices in Nusa Dua, there are literally dozens of very fine establishments in close proximity to the Novotel, have a good look at these before you book here. I'm not a first timer in Bali or Nusa Dua so heed the warning.

Room Tip: Do not stay in time share accommodation. Our friends stayed in these which were not serviced (not e...
3  Thank Chris G

Dear Guest,

Warmest greeting from Novotel Nusa Dua Bali Hotel and Residence,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Nusa Dua Bali Hotel and Residence. I am terribly disappointed that your visit was less than acceptable and that you were left with a poor impression of us. Please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of our team.

Your feedback will be a part of our upcoming discussions with each department concerned. Feedback such as yours allows us to discover how we can be better in the future. We strive to create great guest experiences however in your case we fell far from our mark.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We arrived Boxing Day 2013 and sadly after 10 days we must leave to go back to Melbourne . We offer glowing reorts of our stay. We had a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms. All rooms were spacious including the lounge room.

The facilities are great. This is the swimming pools, table tennis, darts and kids club. Our 11 yr old daughter went to the teenager club a couple of times and had a great time.

There are activities scheduled every day, power walking at 7am with rasa, the activities team manager, or bike riding with him or one of his team. There's a fully equipped gym which I used quite frequently. The front staff organised my golf adventures and got me a good discount on the foreigner rate.

We had a number of meals at the hotel which were great. God food and courteous staff. The novotel also has a private which takes 5 minutes to get to in their bus.

Comes highly recommended by us as a family friendly resort.

We are sad to be leaving

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank John M

Warmest greeting from Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences!!!

Once again thank you for sharing your experience and i will share your feedback with the entire Novotel bali Nusa Dua team and we look forward to welcome you back here in Bali.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Okay overall actually there was not a problem. But I think I may be a little picky here:

1) there was a used razor from previous guest left in our shower. Throughout our stay it was not removed.

2) I called the button on the phone where it say "at your service" and asked for a certain phone number, the lady never got back to me. I guess she was too busy.

3) There were litters around the premises, for three days it was not picked up. Why didnt pick it up? Bcs a) I was guest. b) I wanted to see when will they pick it up. Untill I left the trash (some wrappers from a chocolate bar I think.

4) It was raining, the room service guy delivered our food, entered our room with his slippers on, when he left, I had to clean up the floor using our towel.

You see overall, there was not a "big problem" and I wish I was the other guests that could give 4-5 stars review. But I think this hotel really need to pay attention to details.

Other than the four points above, everything else was fine.

1  Thank SAPOID

Dear Guest,

Warmest greeting from Novotel Nusa Dua Bali Hotel and Residence,

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Firstly, Nusa Dua is a beautiful area, quiet and away from all the chaos at Kuta. Once you enter through the Nusa Dua gateway the gardens are immaculately tended with beautiful trees and plants, exotic flowers and Balinese statues. There are many beautiful hotels and all have security guards at the entrances if this comforts you. The Novotel at Nusa Dua is a lovely hotel, our room was beautiful and spacious, looking out onto lovely green gardens. The pool was excellent, winding around the bar/casual restaurant area. One part of the pool was an infinity pool dropping into a second pool below. Plenty of room for all guests to sun themselves. One thing to say is all the staff are just wonderful and friendly, can't say enough how they go beyond the norm to make sure you are happy. It's disappointing that you can't just wander down to the beach, but the 5 minute bus trip is regularly available every 15 minutes and the beach club is lovely. Be aware what time of year you are travelling because late December we found the current at the beach quite strong and it was difficult to get out of the water (we are quite fit). The food was plentiful for all tastes and the breakfast buffet was excellent. Perhaps a few more snack type foods during the day would be good. We had a couple of issues with the tourist attraction desk which was a little confusing, but, overall
a fabulous relaxing holiday interspersed with the usual Bali chaos when we left Nusa Dua for
shopping or to visit the very many tourist attractions. Best memory? Staff make this hotel a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We had a Delux King room. My partner and I could never find each other in the bed it was huge! The...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paola V

Reviewed January 2, 2014

It has now been over a month since our return from this beautiful hotel resort - and we are already thinking about a return in 2014.

Our family of 2 adults and our 4 year old son stayed in a two bedroom suite which was very spacious and comfortable.
The only improvement that would be great to see is the menu selections, The selection supplied for the buffet breakfast is vast with a multicultural range of dishes every morning, however there were limited non western selections in the lunch and evening menus, I would like to see more Indonesian and Balinese dishes.
Highlights for us were
- The Beach Club - Parta, Randy and the crew at the beach always gave us a great welcome and service. The Novotel's beach access is a 10min stroll or catch the free shuttle bus which leaves every 15 minutes. Our son loved riding in the bus! We ate dinner many nights during our 2 week stay at the beach club - so relaxing!
- The pool was lovely - It looks just like the photos, frangipanni and palms surround the beautiful clear water. It was however a little too deep for our son so we spent a lot of time holding him but he soon learnt to paddle around in a swim ring and even had a try at snorkeling.
- Activities were great, There is always something happening and I highly recommend the family bike tour - do it early in your stay to learn about the area and find your way around - Thank you Arsa.
- The best thing about our stay was the staff - everyone were so helpful and kind to myself and my husband but most of all our son. Desak, Jaidil, Demi, Novi, Ambah, Parta, Randy, Gedai and Arsa were always there to greet us with a smile and nothing was ever any trouble. We really felt welcome - well done to management for bringing together such a great team!

Overall a fantastic relaxing holiday which was quite reasonably priced - Thank you!

Room Tip: The two bedroom suite is perfect for 2 adults and up to 2 kids.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
novotelbalinusadua, Front Office Manager at Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Warmest greeting from Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Bali Nusa Dua Hotel & Residences. It is always a pleasure to receive constructive feedback.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future