“Cute little hotel with a good price”
Review of Ellie's

Ellie's
Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Zurich, Switzerland
“Cute little hotel with a good price”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed at Ellie's when staying at Bali's for a long weekend. The location of the hotel is not the best one - you basically need a taxi/driver to go anywhere. However, if you're willing to be dependant of taxis, there is no problem. With a taxi, the closest beaches and restaurants can be reached in a few minutes. The hotel has nice, clean rooms and a beautiful garden with a small swimming pool. We also enjoyed the breakfast menu, especially the fresh fruits with yogurt and the french toast. The lack of TV channels is compensated with a huge library of DVDs, nice to have if a rainy day surprises. All in all, good value for the resonable room prices.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Trnava, Slovakia
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed at the Ellies in november 2010 and we can highly recommend it!
The location is good, it is not on the beach but with Blue bird taxi you can go wherever you want to, it is really cheap.
The rooms are nice and clean, with amazing view.
The best thing about Ellies is that they will help you with everything. The prices in Bali are very cheap but you have to know what is normal price and average price for ir. Unless you will pay 25 dollars for one dress instead of 5 dollars, as we did :/
The breakfast was delicious, i really liked the pancakes with yogurt and fruits.
The very good restaurant close to the hotel is PepeNero, it is italian, for very good price and delicious! you can even order a take way to the hotel.
The Geger beach was recommended to us and this beach was the best one! Not too crowded and with good food. We ate at Warung Barong 888.
We also took a trip to Ubud with one of the receptionist (I think his name was Mane , but I am not really sure) and it was very nice.
At the end of a stay we had few problems so we had to to go the hospital and David (the owner) helped us with everything. He even gave us a bill for transport to the hospital, that we needed for insurance company, because balinese taxi drivers never give you a bill!
I highly recommend this hotel, and I hope we will come back soon!!!!

Peta and Ivan

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I booked a room at Ellie's for two nights recently when I decided to take a last-minute trip to Bali to unwind after a busy year. At US$45 a night, I wasn't expecting a lot and I just wanted somewhere clean and safe to sleep, but Ellie's delivered this and more.

If you are looking for a beach resort with a huge pool, private beach and restaurants, Ellie's is not the place for you in Bali. But what it lacks in this area, it makes up for in service and I have to commend the owners David and Caroline and their staff for delivering personable, five-star service. I've stayed at a lot of five-star hotels this year for business, and most of them cant beat Ellie's in terms of sincerity and genuinity.

I had only two nights in Bali and did not read up much about it before I arrived, but David was great with recommendations. He assured me that squeezing in a trip to Ubud on my first day wasn't out of the question and very promptly arranged a driver to take me there. I spent half a day in Ubud, and another day at Seminyak and Ulu Watu, with the help of the driver that David arranged.

Location-wise, Ellie's is not within walking distance of any beach but if you're taking a cab or using a driver, it isnt really a problem. If you are, however, looking for a hotel in the thick of the action, Ellie's is probably not for you. But bear in mind you'd have to pay a lot more elsewhere! The hotel is set in a residential area, reachable through a very narrow alley from the main road. If you're coming back at night in a car or taxi, safety isnt an issue. I probably wont walk through the alley alone at night though!

Once inside the hotel, I felt safe and at home, which is important for a lone female traveller. Ellie's doesnt serve any food at night but they can order takeaway for you from a range of restaurants. The staff at the reception ordered dinner for me on both nights, and the food was delivered in about 20 minutes. I had Indonesian on the first night and Italian on the second - both meals were really good.

My room was clean and comfortable with all the basics taken care of. There were plenty of towels, basic toiletries like shampoo and soap, coffee and tea, hairdryer. No TV channels in room but I heard there is a DVD library which I did not use since I was reading most of the time.

Breakfast was lovely and delicious. It took a while to get service on my first morning there - it looked like they were understaffed, probably because there was a big family of about 10 having breakfast and keeping the staff busy. The staff who eventually served me was however very apologetic and the food was served very promptly. On my second day, I was the only person at the breakfast area and it felt like I had my own private villa!

There is a bar at the rooftop terrace with a view of the sea but it wasnt open both nights when I was there, even though the staff had told me it's open 24-7 (which I found hard to believe since there are only eight rooms in Ellie's and there probably aren't enough people drinking at any one time!) I was puzzled to find it closed but I wasnt dying for a drink so I just went back to my room.

At US$45 a night with breakfast, Ellie's is amazing value. I can't find much to complain about the place, except perhaps I wish they had wi-fi in the rooms. The connectivity is best in the reception, and you can use it as well in the dining area (if you sit closer to the reception area) but that's about it. Also, the water flow from the shower isnt that strong but it didnt really bother me.

If you want to experience Bali on a budget but you're still looking for some great Balinese hospitality, Ellie's is the place to go! This is no beach resort, but I never failed to feel at home.

• Stayed December 2010
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2010

David and Caroline the hosts of Ellies couldnt be more helpful, they have very good suggestions and pointed us toward some nice restaurants and attractions during our stay there.

The hotel is located up a small drive away from a busy road on the way into Nusa Dua, there is a great grocery store nearby where you can walk across and get most things you need, (toothbrush, sunblock, etc.) try the local roast pork restaurant great food and very cheap 25,000 rupiah for a nice lunch!

Ellies Hosts David and Caroline know alot about this area of Bali and are very happy to suggest thingsto enjoy. We had an amazing morning at a local beach Gegar where we went swimming in the sea and enjoyed sunlounges with great food and drink service at the Warung Barong 888 at their suggestion.

Ellie's rooms are in good condition, the air conditioning is welcomed and there are many DVDs on hand to watch when you feel like blobbing out of the hot midday sun. The pool is clean and refreshing, and nice to dip into. We had rooms facing the pool and rooms facing the hill, all good.

Taxis are plentiful around here get one ordered to pick you up and head off to to Jimbaran Bay seafood restaurants for sunset (restauant Liah in the middle section was WONDERFUL) big prawn 150,000 per kilo and red snapper 60000 per kilo bbq's on coconut husks and witha chilli garlic sambal.... MMMMMM so tasty, see a picture of one of our meals there inour photos....

Enjoy a few days st Ellies with friendly staff and great hosts! You wont find better rates in Nusa Dua!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We returned to stay at Ellies for our honeymoon having stayed there while we had been travelling the world a few years ago. We loved it then and we loved it again this time. David and Caroline and their staff made us feel so welcome, nothing was too much trouble for them, the breakfasts were fantastic, the french toast is so delicious. Some days, we had the pool to ourselves, we felt it was like having our own private villa.
Ellies isnt within walking distance of a beach so you do have to get taxis everywhere, but they are so cheap in Bali, it isnt a problem for most people. Its nice not to be in the hustle and bustle of the central tourist area. We stayed for 9 nights in total split into two seperate stays, we slept like babies on every single night. We would highly recommentd Ellies to anyone who wants a quiet relaxing stay. Thanks again David & Caroline, we are so happy we decided to come back and see you guys!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank atctravels
New Zealand
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I spent 4 nights at Ellies recently, at the end of a 16 day Bali break. It was an Oasis of calm, with beautiful staff, rooms and service. The breakfast is fantastic, and the pool...sublime.
David and Caroline were fantastic hosts, and made me feel very welcome.
Beautiful, peaceful, and I will visit again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank kiwi1074
Paris, France
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We were supposed to stay 4 nights but we finally booked one more night as the hotel and staffs were so great
This is a small hotel, very quiet and clean in which you feel like at home
Very good quality at a very good price, we would definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple