“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #33 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Melbourne
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Ellie's was our first stop in a 3 week Indonesian trip for our honeymoon and we couldn't have started at a better place. As it was our first time to Bali Dave and Caroline gave us tips on everything we needed to know from the cost of a beach lounger to the nearest , best and well priced food in Nusa Dua. We stayed for 6 nights and loved every bit of the experience as we were made to feel right at home. The breakfasts were lovely, the rooms clean and comfy, and the pool great to come home to after a day out and about. Geger beach nearby was the best beach we visited on Bali so make the most of that and the hospitality shown by Dave and Caroline was fantastic, even treating us for our honeymoon. Highly recommended

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Auckland
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We wanted an alternate to the big impersonal resort hotels. This was it!
Great service from all staff. Casual & unpretentious, yet helpful and accommodating.
Included breakfasts were great. Rate was very affordable. Recommendations were very good.
We'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank simon76Auckland
Kalaheo, Hawaii
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed at Ellie's for the first three nights of our 3 week Bali trip. Dave and Caroline were so helpful, nice and fun! Our room was absolutely perfect, and roomy enough for the 4 of us (we took our two daughters). The breakfast was perfect, coffee was great. I LOVED my rooftop massage from Wayan. That was my favorite massage in all of Bali, and believe me, I had a lot! I really enjoyed Gegor beach, which was right down the road. Tropical restaurant, in Nusa Dua, was our favorite. We also loved Warung Dobeil, which is also located nearby in Nusa Dua. I was a bit depressed when we had to leave Ellie's and go to our private villa in Uluwatu. Ellie's was so fun and social, whereas my villa was quiet and lonely. I wanted to return to Ellie's for a few nights at the end of our stay- next time! This hotel was just perfect and I couldn't say a bad thing about our stay there! Thank you Dave and Caroline!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 28, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights just this past weekend at Ellies and it was fantastic. David, Caroline and Made were the perfect hosts and provided excellent advice. It was great fun learning about their experiences and their family as well. We had a late afternoon flight on the departure date and wanted to spend the morning at the beach. Since they needed to clean our room and we had to check out by noon, they let us use the showers in an extra room after we came back from the beach after 1 p.m. without charge or fuss. It was perfect and just what we needed. You will never get that kind of service in any resort. The location was also very convenient and the taxi system was excellent and reliable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We've found so many positive comments on Ellie's, and finally choosed this one for our 4 nights' stay.
Like many one mentioned before, this one brings more about a family feel rather than a lux resort style. We felt really comfy and easy during our stay. Caroline and Dave are the best hosts with full of the local knowledge. The yummy brekker was unforgetable, I never get tried of trying the pancake/bananna smmothies for 4 days. The staffs are really friendly down there, always willing to render help.
The hotel is chic and cozy, like to dip into the water in the evening (the water is still warm), love their bookshelf and the wonderful terrace with balinese deco.
It's definitely a place value for money .

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Fantastic place!! Great people, very hospitable and always willing to help.. David and Caroline were the perfect hosts and Made (Mr.), Komang, Ketut and Made (Ms.) complemented them perfectly with a pleasing attitude, courtesy and eagerness to help.. Highly recommend this place to holidaying couples, families with kids.. Very warm and hospitable people made our stay a memorable one.. We will definitely be back for more!! Love you all guys!!

• Liked — Their willingness to guide thier guests every bit of the way.. We just landed there without a plan and David and Caroline guided us through all that we needed to do including places to eat!
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I’ve given Ellie’s top marks..

But let’s get this out of the way first. If you’re looking for a lavish 5-star golf and spa resort, with 5 swimming pools...20 imported beers....dedicated staff whose sole purpose is to issue beach towels....Ellie’s is NOT for you. (and you’d be daft to expect it as such, for the very reasonable nightly rate). BUT READ ON!!!

Instead, what you DO get, is great service and a welcome from a very lovely, and extremely genuine Scottish/English couple.
My girlfriend and I are on a fairly big budget trip of Bali, staying in some of the top golf resorts and spas. We were admittedly disappointed on arrival at Ellie’s, as it is not the best location, (hidden up a Balinese side-street), and in all honesty, it’s a fairly “no frills” accommodation.

After a beer, I asked the manager David if he knew where I might find a doctor, as I’d picked up an ear infection...seconds later, he was driving me to a doctor himself, waited for me, and drove me back, chatting like a friend all the while. I offered money, but was promptly told “it was all part of the service”. His wife Caroline - just as lovely. Nothing seemed too much trouble.

Ellie’s only serves breakfast, but orders in other meals on request. Instead, we took David’s recommendation on an Italian restaurant along the road, which was the best food/restaurant in our 10 days in Bali.

I’m afraid we only stayed for 1 night. But in the morning, I thoroughly enjoyed the home cooked breakfast, with Jack-Johnson-style music, and intelligent conversation with other guests who I’m sure would’ve become good friends, (along with David and Caroline) had I stayed longer. This place does not feel like a hotel....it feels as if you’re coming to stay with an old friend. I felt like I really was, well...on HOLIDAY!!

If I return to Bali on a budget, or with friends...I would definitely stay here. This place would be IDEAL for back-packers to use as a base, or folks on a budget.

I sit in a 5-star golf and spa resort as I type this review (yes....with guys on “towel duty”), four times the cost of Ellie’s. Gorgeous though it is, it could be anywhere in the world.

Will I make friends sitting by the pool?
Will I remember the names of ANY of the staff?
Will I feel like I’m in Bali, on an adventure miles from home?

Probably not :-(