“Nice place with some room for improvement”

Samabe Bali Suites & Villas
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed August 10, 2013

1. Hotel itself – we originally booked one bedroom suite with private pool and we were upgraded to one bedroom villa, for which we are very thankful. Villa was very nice and good size pool. Interesting part was the fact that it was only one bathroom considering how big it was. Overall not a major issue but when traveling with kids at least one additional ½ a bathroom would help. We looked at hotel suites as well and big advantage of those is the fact that they are right above the ocean – extremely nice view. The negative aspect is that suite pools were constantly in the shade, I can only imagine how cold the water was. Hotel itself is very spacious and has limited number of suites and villas which is great b/c you have a lots of privacy. Currently there are some constructions going on but I must admit other than spa being build right in the main area it was not bother to us and noise was not existing (our a/c was louder than any building noise).
2. Beach and pools/ facilities – we were extremely disappointed in how beach looked like – to put in simple terms, it was dirty. Plenty of plastic, old shoes, empty bottles and garbage. One day there were some people pretending to clean it but in all fairness at the speed they were moving, it explains a lot about hotel still not being finished – this was probably biggest disappointment. They were digging holes in the sand and putting garbage inside,,, seemed strange considering tide comes in and uncovers all garbage but maybe there is a reason for it,,,, The main pool was very nice but water was in my opinion very very cold, our villa’s pool water was bit warmer which was a plus.
3. Staff- the biggest advantage of this hotel. Extremely helpful, genuine and simply great. Everyone from guy helping us with kayaks to butler team everyone was absolutely great. What we really liked about the staff besides being the most helpful people on the face of the earth, was the fact that you could tell/ask anyone whatever your particular need is and is taken care for, you don’t have to look for right person or they are not trying to tell you who to go to but rather they dealing with it internally. Thank you to butler team especially Jay-Z.
4. Food – very good food, great breakfast. We didn’t have all inclusive as we wanted to eat outside and explore local restaurants, which in our opinion turned out very good as there are plenty of great food within cab ride. We had dinner one time in their Italian restaurant and it was excellent. We also met executive chef as we did small cooking class which was a great fun.
5. Location of the property – there is a lot of constructions outside Samabe gates. Immediate to the left there are new hotels being build (apparently one of them is Ritz Carlton), although there is no bother for guest of Samabe but the whole road leading to Samabe was quite ugly due to constructions everywhere and lack of walkways. I am quite sure that in few years when Ritz finishes constructions, this would be great area. For now, forget about walking anywhere but taxis are plenty and cheap.

To summrize on the scale of 1-5 the staff is 5 stars, property at current state 4 stars, location 4 stars, facilities 3 stars (mostly due to dirty beach), surrounding area 1 star.
I believe that area has a great potential once all constructions are done in the area and hotel is finished.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank horizongg
Ralf L, General Manager at Samabe Bali Suites & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from the family of Samabe Bali Resort & Villas!

We were truly honored to have had a discerning traveler as you as our guest and become part of your current holiday. Thank you for sparing your time writing insightful and detailed feedback; we surely keep them as our reference in our effort to improve the quality of our service and facilities.

We are aware that our beach is one of our most important resources. Therefore, we assign our staff in the area to keep it clean and convenient for any guest who wishes to spend their time there. We manage garbage and waste according to the standard procedure; we separate organic from non-organic waste as they require different treatments. Organic waste is put in sand holes in such proximity to keep it from the tide. Apart from this, we appreciate it that you expressed your concern. My team and I are fully in charge for taking care of the beach and the whole resort area as to give our guests a most welcoming stay.

Thank you for your kind word with regards to our staff and our food. Your compliments have been passed on to my team who will carry on our service tradition wholeheartedly. We hope that you will plan another stay in Samabe in the future.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Although this place is still unfinished as the grand opening will be in September,it has been filling up fast with arriving guests.
The positives; Small boutique type resort, great location, very big well equipped suites with full ocean view, comfortable bed, big bath and huge shower, very attentive butler service, very good breakfast which can be taken any time of the day, free minibar, free flow of juices, tea,coffee all day & night. Nicely positioned villas with plenty space around, every villa set on different level, as the place is perched on the cliff. Beautiful infinity swimming pool with very comfortable sittings and nice bar.
It has nice library and theatre room but movie selection not so great.

The negatives; beach full of debris and soft sand but also full of potential as location is superb with shady trees and interesting caves. Hotel does constantly cleaning it up, but high tides are bringing more rubbish in no time. Still good for swimming and water sports. There is a huge construction of Ritz Carlton going next door but far enough to create any noise or visual disturbances. Hopefully when this will be finished all stretch of the beach will be nice and clean. Access to the beach is very steep 170 steps but this can be good thing as an exercise routine (for young & fit)
The quality of the building materials and finishing touches which have been used are just basic, with some minor problems, and will need to be yet fixed, but design is very good, eye pleasing and practical.
In our opinion this place is well deserving 5 star status, specially not being fully operative the staff is making it worthwhile. They are really marvels everyone of them, always there to assist u in every possible way & willing to do more...
All suites and studios have great views but if u want the quiet one; 317 is perfect as is far from entrance so means less traffic but has twin beds (not for honeymooners)

Room Tip: We like suite 317 but all are equally good and some are with swimming pool on ground level plus the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2Bn2C

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from the Island of Gods!

First of all, thank you for making our brand-new resort part of your current Bali getaway. Thank you for sharing some of the highlights of Samabe here; we’re happy to learn that you did enjoy the benefits that we offer. Your constructive feedback is highly appreciated. We assign staff around the beach area to monitor its cleanliness and the tide to make sure all of our guests who wish to relax and enjoy water sport make the most of their time. And, thank you for pointing out about our beach access; indeed it is a rewarding way to exercise! On a different note, I am also happy to share that we keep adding more titles to our movie and book collection in our library.

It is an honor to us to have had you as our guest, and we are hoping that you will plan another Bali getaway with us. Please extend our best regard to your family.
Looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have stayed in Samabe resort for six nights. Because it was just a soft opening the resort was not 100 percent occupied, which suite us the best. We felt like being alone on whole Nusa Dua. The good thing about this resort:
1. The staff is very attentive and helpfull
2. My wife does not speak any English so the knowledge of Russian by our butler - Mr. Duwa was very helpfull.
3. We purchased the unlimited privileges ( all inclusive) and never regret about it, because hotel had organized a few activities we did not not have to pay for, plus the restaurants at the resort are very good. We believe that the chief deserves a Michelin Star. We tried almost whole menu and everything was very delicious. The only thing we wish that the wine list could be more extensive. The choices were limited and some of the good wines were not covered by our unlimited privileges and we have to pay for it. According to the resort policy the free alcohol for the people who have the unlimited privileges is available from 1700 to 2400, which was not a big deal for us.
4. The beach is very private and relatively clean, however it is 170 steps down from the resort.
5. Our room was very spacious and had a nice view of the ocean.
6. Room was clean, in spite of the construction that was still going on.
7. My wife had massage every day in our room and was extremely happy. The staff was very good. Unlimited privileges include one massage per person per day.
Overall, we were very happy with this resort and planning to return back again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bakinec
Ralf L, General Manager at Samabe Bali Suites & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Our Valued Guest,

Greetings from Bali!

Thank you for setting your valuable time sharing about your recent experience staying at Samabe Bali Resort & Villas. Thank you for your kind word, but most of all we are pleased to learn that you had a wonderful holiday. We appreciate your feedback regarding our wine list and cocktail hours, which was part of your Unlimited Privileges package. Please rest assured that we keep improving ourselves in order to give our guests the most memorable experience. Last but not least, thank you for considering to stay with us again in the future. The whole family of Samabe Bali Resort & Villas will look forward to welcoming you back!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just came back from a two night stay at this brand new resort. Since this is a business trip, I didn't get to enjoy the pool or any of the restaurants but the room in itself is good enough.

I stayed at a Ocean View suite and as previous reviewers mentioned, it's literally in front of the ocean. the blue ocean is the first thing you see every morning you wake up. room is huge, with the bathtub placed in the very front so when you bath, you got a full view of the ocean. Bed is comfy, the complimentary beach bag, fan, and heads are nice touches too.

When checked in, the butler took time to explain the facilities of the room which is great. Mini-bar is complimentary with soda, water and juice. Since I have to leave early every morning, I didn't bother to go to the restaurant and eat breakfast. I just ordered in room services, which is also included. You also have the option to change the breakfast to set lunch as well.

they also have a very nice refreshing room for guests to hang out after check out, with free made to order juices, which is another great touch.

While all staff are friendly, smiling and welcoming, there is room for improvement for its service. For my first night, there is no turn down services, which is odd for a 5-star, seems that they have forgot. On the second day, I ordered breakfast the night before, asked them to be delivered at 9am. they called me at 7am on the second day, woke me up just to reconfirm my order, I was not impressed.

Anyhow, apart from the minor hiccups, this hotel is fabulous. Once all facilities are up and running (such as the spa), I would definitely like to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KcatHK

Dear KcatHK,

Greetings from the Island of the Gods!

Thank you for choosing Samabe Bali Resort & Villas for your recent stay in Bali, and we appreciate your valuable feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed most of your time in our brand new beach resort despite the hiccups you experienced. We apologize that our staff missed to turn down your suite on your first night, and we are sorry about the miscommunication regarding your breakfast delivery. I have addressed these matters to each of the related departments, and please rest assured that the same errors will not reoccur in the future.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Thanks to the whole Samabe crew, this has got to be one of my top 3 holidays over the past 10 years, and I have been traveling a lot.

Initially when I booked I was worried because I saw that this was a new resort, and instinctively, I did my prior research and asked a lot of questions through emails to the Samabe office in order to make sure I didn't spend my money to have a holiday on a construction site...

Thankfully, all my emails were answered within a short time and they thoroughly convinced me that it was the right choice to spend my money booking with this new hotel. Looking back now, I can only say that this was the right choice and the hotel is perfect; from the exquisite food to the impeccable butler service to the Ocean view pool villa I stayed in.

Big mention to the friendly employees; from the security staff to the butler, we were greeted with a friendly smile and greeting. I'd been to Bali before, but we booked for 2 days with an attachment butler, in order to bring us around for good shopping, good outside dining and full days tour as I was traveling with friends who had never been to Bali before. With him we learned all about Bali in a very short time. I will recommend this place to all my family and friends and as for myself, I will be back as soon as I can and I am looking forward to become a Samabe family member

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SebVet25

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from us at Samabe Bali Resort & Villas!

First of all, thank you for choosing Samabe as part of your recent holiday. We are truly honored that you consider us to be one of your top three holidays. Your compliments have been passed on to my staff, and we will keep improving ourselves to be able to give our guests a memorable Bali getaway.

Thank you again for your kind word. We will look forward to welcoming you back again to our resort!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I chanced upon Samabe's website while searching for a comfortable beachside resort to bring my family to for 5 days. Was debating between the Westin Nusa Dua (reputed for being kid-friendly) and this brand-new resort (Samabe had no reviews on any website yet, including Trip Advisor), but finally decided on taking a chance at staying at this yet unknown resort.

Credit goes to the Asst Reservation Manager, Putu Sri Cynthia, who patiently answered my many email enquiries (I was very particular cos I was bringing my young kids along on this trip), and 2 days before I was due to arrive, she actually called me personally to assure me and make sure my expectations were aligned with what the hotel could offer during their soft opening. She explained that the Kids Club wasn't open yet, and that the non-motorised sports (except kayak) wasn't available yet too. But the 2 restaurants, gym, main pool and hospitality lounge were ready. Receiving an "assurance call" from such a patient, warm and friendly lady definitely sealed the deal for me. I figured if the Asst Reservation Manager made the effort to make an overseas call to a potential customer who was only booking one room, then customer service must be priority for them. And boy was i right!

We arrived after a short flight from Singapore. I had informed the resort that I would be arriving at night as my flight only landed at 7+ in the evening. When we arrived at the resort around 9, we were warmly welcomed with friendly smiles and refreshing drinks. We were very blessed to get a room upgrade to an ocean view villa which was very luxurious and spacious for my family. We enjoyed the villa and main pool so much that we hardly saw the need to leave the resort. In fact my kids spent several hours in the pool daily, just relaxing and having fun. The main pool area was absolutely beautiful cos it was located on a cliff beside the sea, with its roaring waves and azure waters. Maybe it was the soft opening so the resort wasn't operating at full occupancy. We felt like the whole resort belonged to us cos we hardly saw other guests. Somehow they weren't there at the pool when we were. The main pool area is made of 3 adjoining smaller pools. One is about 90cm deep, while the other 2 are 1m deep. They do not have a wading pool for kids, but if your kids have floats or life vests, then the pools would be suitable for their use.

ROOMS:
We had a look at the Ocean View suite. It was spacious and had 2 queen beds or a huge king bed (depends on yr needs). The special thing about these suites are that from the balcony you have a panoramic ocean view and can hear the waves below your balcony. It is not just a distant view of the ocean like what most hotels offer when they state "sea view". These suites are located on building built on the cliff just beside the sea. I might have chosen this suite if I didn't have my kids with me. But with my kids, we preferred a more spacious room layout with our own pool and patio.

The ocean view pool villa we stayed at was further from the sea, but we could still see the ocean from a distance. It was a pretty sight to just gaze out at the blue waters from our patio daily. The villa had everything you needed. They provide more than sufficient bottled water for your drinking needs, and even provided small bottles in the bathroom for brushing your teeth with. There was a complimentary minibar in the room filled with various soft drinks for your daily consumption. Even the stationery set provided more than just your standard pencil, paper and envelope. They thoughtfully provided glue, a stapler, ruler and even a torchlight if you so needed. You hardly need to bring any toiletries to the resort too cos the resort provided the necessities like shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion. Even an electric mosquito repellent was plugged in when we arrived. The hospitality manager must be someone who is very detailed and who puts himself in the customer's shoes. We loved the villa very much. It was luxurious, clean, spacious and extremely comfortable. A lot of thought went into the design of the villa, and no expenses were spared seeing the Grohe bath fittings and Toto sanitary fittings.

FOOD:
We looked forward to breakfast every morning because we could order from the a la carte menu, and every dish was served fine dining style. We especially loved the sushi, the mini wagyu steak and eggs, the egg benedict, as well as the banana fritters. My daughter loved the smoked salmon and premium sausages from the buffet offering and ate them every day. Loved the vitamin 'shots' and fresh juices and smoothies that were made only when we ordered.
Ate at Rempah Rempah for dinner once, The pizzas and carbonara pasta (this was not on the menu) were delicious. But the nasi goreng was ok only. I think the restaurant fares better on western food than local food.

Ordered a mushroom pasta dish for my son from Crystal Ocean Grill once too. It was delicious but because it was fine dining portion, it was too little as a main dish for my son.

One feedback on the restaurants' offering would be to be aware that if they intend to market themselves as a kid-friendly resort, then they need to consider offering kid-friendly meals for lunch and dinner. For lunch (Rempah Rempah restaurant does not serve lunch) they only offered the room service menu of burgers and fries. Otherwise you had to order from Crystal Ocean Grill which serves more expensive fine dining style food at fine dining portions. If you don't wish to eat at the hotel for lunch or dinner, you could get a complimentary ride out to the Nusa Dua area/Bali Collection for a meal. Or visit the nearby Mulia, St Regis or Nikko resorts which seems to have good food too.

SERVICE:
Before I end my review, I thought I should show my appreciation to the Butlers, the GROs, and the waiters who are the "life" of the resort. without these customer-oriented and genuine staff, I don't think Samabe would be different from any other 5-star resort in Bali. Special thanks goes to Yanti and Chez who served us graciously when we arrived, and who never fail to smile and greet us every day when we see them. Also to butlers Jay and Opan who tirelessly made sure our needs were met, and attended to our every request. I also noticed several attentive staff in the restaurant, like Supervisor Wayan, and waiters Wahju, Noni and Made. They stood out for being very attentive and personal in serving us. I understand that some pf the staff like Wahju and Noni are contract staff. I think it would be a shame to let them go after the contract ends. They provided exceptional, personalised service and will defnitely be an asset!

Lastly before I end my very long review, I must say that at first, I was intrigued by Samabe's slogan "Arrive as a guest, depart as a friend, return as family". I thought that that was quite a daring slogan to make, but after having stayed there for 5 days, I can understand why it is so. I have never gone back to the same hotel or resort to stay twice, but I can certainly foresee myself coming back here again as "family". Kudos to Samabe on the success of your soft opening. I sincerely wish you greater success as you work towards your grand opening and beyond.

Room Tip: If staying in an ocean pool villa, ask for those which are nearer the main pool with unblocked views...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank AdorableKitten

Greetings from Bali!

I hope this message finds you and your family well and healthy! We truly appreciate your taking your time writing an insightful and very positive review of your recent experience staying at Samabe Bali Resort & Villas. We are pleased to learn that you and your family enjoyed most of your time at our new resort, and your compliments have been shared to the respective staff and the whole team. Thank you for your suggestion in regards to our kid’s menu. Our Executive Chef and team are currently finalizing our menus as to include more options for our young guests.

We are grateful to have been given the trust, even when we were in the soft opening stage. And thank you for sharing your experience in Samabe in detail to other travelers. My team and I are sincerely hoping to welcome you and your family back again to our resort in the near future.

Warmest regards,