“Excellent people at Mulia Hotel”
Review of Mulia Resort

Mulia Resort
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I want to thank everybody who work in this hotel. I was travelling in January for 7 days. Understand that the hotel is newly open. But, they are working very hard to made my stay very special and memorable. I will definitely recommend Mulia to all my friends here in Australia.

It would be wrong to say anything bad or negative about Mulia, as showns in several comments before. I made several of personal contact with staff at reception, they are all excellent people.

I went to their buffet restaurant called The Cafe. Quality of food is excellent, service is top notch. I went to Soleil - their beach restaurant for 3 days in a row. Everything is fabolous.

Will come back again to Mulia Bali

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Al P
phaditama, Hotel Management at Mulia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear AI P

Greetings from The Mulia, Mulia Resort & Villas – Nusa Dua, Bali!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Resort and for sharing your wonderful experience. It is great to learn that you have enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having you and your loved one staying with us. We truly appreciate your comments about our quality of product and service, which we will surely share with all our team of dedicated staff. We are also delighted that you have had the chance to explore our restaurants and enjoyed our chefs’ authentic creations at The Cafe and Soleil. We hope you had the chance to also try Soleil’s extraordinary Sunday Brunch with free flow wine while you were here.

Thank you once again, and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Sincerely
The management.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,992)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Its a new hotel in Bali and the have really nice buffet for breakfast and dinner. I am not their guest in house, but I came here for their buffet as my Indonesia friends told me its a really good and its trully good. big selection food from chinese, thai, indonesia, international.and desserts. good price as well. i will come again for valentine buffet dinner. it will perfect to close my holiday moment before i fly back to my home country.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Paolo S

Dear Paolo S

Greetings from The Mulia, Mulia Resort & Villas – Nusa Dua, Bali!

Thank you for taking the time to review The Cafe and sharing your experience. We truly appreciate your support and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our extensive international buffet selection.

We look forward to welcoming you and your loved one back on Valentine’s Day!

Sincerely
The Management

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We were in Mulia Resort for a wedding over the weekend. The hotel just opened less than a month so obviously it is not 100% done and there are still major things that needs to be done.

First of all, check in was smooth.... we arrived at 11:30pm so there was no line.

We went to the room and felt that the rooms were a bit small... we had the "Lagoon Suite" which is connected to the pool. When making the reservations, I thought that "Lagoon Suite" means that it would be connected to the main pool. Instead, there was a small lap pool that connects 6 rooms. Well, that's my fault for not reading the room description properly. My brother got the suite for about U$20 less and the rooms are much bigger and situated on a higher floor so he could see more view. So I don't recommend the "Lagoon Suite"... just get the suite instead.

The hotel is HUGE!!!! Located on 33 hectares of land... so to get from one place to another is a chore .That is reason that I will not bring my kids here on purpose (unless there's another wedding). There are 5 pools and I can't imagine if I realize I left something in room and have to go back and get it...

Mulia Hotel consist of 3 hotels. The Mulia (all suites), Mulia Resort (main building) and Mulia Villas. So there are 3 wedding chapels which is very nice. It's probably the largest one in the island sitting 200 people. Since that is the case, I soon realize that this hotel's main target market is probably for weddings but what I found strange was that in my room, which didn't have a walk-in-closet, didn't have a hanger that can hang my long dress (which I had to bring because the wedding that I attended was a black tie wedding). So after I arrived and sent my dress to be steamed, they hung it up in the wardrobe where the bottom part still wrinkled because of the length of the wardrobe.

Yes, if you read other reviews, the room does have a large window facing the bathroom but it has blinds --which you can still see through it. So there was one instant where my husband was in the shower, and I ordered room service, and the guy can't go in to push the food because he would then see my husband in the shower. And also since this is a "lagoon suite", you must at all time close your curtains or else someone would see you in the bathroom. So that was a bit strange. I like sun in my room... especially when I'm in Bali.

Another awkward moment that I encountered was during breakfast. There was 5 of us there but there were only tables for 4. The waiter refused to take another chair so that we can eat together. I found that weird since it is so easy to just pull a chair... but that was "against the rule".

Overall, my experience was okay. It was not as bad as the other reviews although I can see why it happened because it did happen to a lot of our friends during our stay.

The restaurant closest to the beach does not allow you to wear flip flops or tank tops... you were actually given a Mulia Polo shirt.... so my friend a he AND a she was given a polo shirt. Weird for Bali right??? Where everyone wants to just wear bikinis and such....

But despite all the weirdness of all the rules, the rooms has really comfortable beds and beautiful flower decorations. They had artworks here and there which was really nice too. You definitely do not feel like you're in Bali though.... We were lucky enough to be able to see the villas which was huge and looks very comfortable (but it's at the other end of the huge complex and the furthest from the beach).

Overall, I would say that if I had a wedding to go to in Mulia, I would definitely stay there again for the convenience. But I will not make it my destination hotel whenever I'm in Bali.

Ooo... and beware that if you ask for plates or utensils, they will charge you!!

Room Tip: Choose the suite instead of the lagoon.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank GrapTwig
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed at The Mulia just for one night, just to check it out. This was after the busy Christmas/New Year holiday period, so the resort, which is really big, seemed almost empty. I probably saw more staff and security guards than guests. But this didn't bother me too much...maybe the situation was more tense when the hotel was just opened in December and lots more people stayed here.

The Grandeur Room I stayed in wasn't that grand, but clean and comfortable. The amenities in the room could be improved (for example, an iPod dock would be nice). I especially liked the free-standing bathtub and the complete toiletries. Wi-fi isn't free in the rooms, but it is in public areas. True, the design of the room (and the hotel overall) doesn't have a lot of Balinese touch - it's more a modern (and somewhat austere) approach, Still looks impressive, though.

The hotel wasn't 100% open at the time of the visit...for example, only two restaurants were open : The Cafe for breakfast (one of the most wide-ranging selection of buffet breakfast I've seen), and Le Soleil (I had lunch there and the quality of the dishes was excellent). Some areas were still under construction, and the spa wasn't open yet, either. But the pool areas are open, and they are great. The largest pool is the one just next to the beach, and as it wasn't a busy season, I could almost have the pool for myself!

Although I don't think it's a 5-star experience yet, it's certainly not bad and Mulia could improve it for the future. I wouldn't exclude the possibility of a next visit here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank SpiceNSpruce
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Mulia ... The Mulia…. What to say about the Mulia
Well the name conjures images in my mind of exceptional levels of luxury, facilities and service and at several hundred dollars a night, so it should.
My extensive experiences with the Jakarta Mulia led me to book a few nights last week at the new Mulia in Bali, but I doubt very much I will return other than to eat.
First the positives, and there are many. It is a very well built hotel, large and comfortable rooms and both dinner and lunch at the buffet were excellent. That is except no water to drink unless you pay about $3 for half a liter. Not great, Most 5 Star hotel buffet restaurants offer water free of charge. I really do not want a $15 water surcharge on my excellent dinner
Now the not so good… Service - It wasn’t that service was always bad, in fact I had some exceptional experiences in the restaurant and at the beach, but it was just so inconsistent. For example my key failed and I was passed from pillar to post taking over 20 minutes to resolve… Come on guys it’s really not hard to refresh the key!! There were several other examples such as check-in which quite honestly was a 25 min chore and despite the constant cooling towels proffered – quite frankly it is not good enough.
Staff – Is this Bali?? Why did I find it near impossible to find a Balinese member of staff one wonders?
Rooms – Well probably 1/3rd of the rooms are overlooking the village – it’s nice if you want to sit on your balcony and be waved at by people as they engage in cooking, bathing, cockfighting and some less printable activities, I did not and again when I asked about being relocated the response was supremely slow and in the end I just didn’t use the balcony.
It’s a very large resort and directions where at a premium. Again staff response was mixed, from excellent ‘let me take you sir’ to grunts and pointing…
Last but not least: 8pm ish – Sitting having a very enjoyable meal and the lights go out – 100% darkness. OK, this is Bali, power cuts are normal. No worries the generators will kick in… Won’t they? Err … No. I sit in total darkness surrounded by hot food, hot plates and dumbstruck staff for maybe 10 - 15 minutes..
Oh and please do the mosquito fogging at night, several Japanese guests thought we had a fire.
I think you get the point….
So, in summary:
To any prospective visitor, I would avoid the hotel at busy times, they are not yet over their teething problems, when they do it has the potential to be a most excellent resort.
To the Mulia, come on guys get it together. It’s a great brand, an awesome facility but simple things are causing major frustrations among your guests, many of whom will not return based on the current situation.
It is all about expectation and when I pay a premium rate I expect a premium service and in my 3 nights, I all too often found myself an unhappy guest.
Duncan,
Jakarta, London,

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
14  Thank Duncan R
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We often travel to Bali and stay in the Nusa Dua area, this last weekend we decided to check out the new Mulia Resort as I'm very familiar with the Service and Facilities of the Jakarta Mulia. Let me say that we were initially impressed by the facilities but the good impression was quickly gone when we started experiencing the uncomfortable service and unbelievable rules in their facilities.

Although the facilities are a very important factor of a vacation resort, the most important factors is to make sure that guests feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible, specially in a 5 star hotel, unfortunately our feeling during the stay was not exactly what we were expecting from the Mulia and compared to magnitude of the property, it is not because of lack of attention from the staff, it was the over unpleasant attention of staff and over security making us feel like we were breaking the law just by walking around the resort, everyone was watching every step that we took In all areas, this is a very difficult feeling to describe and not sure if its related to the amount and experience of the new staff that has been hired and probably under a lot of pressure to perform or the management policies that are over the top.

Additionally, it was difficult to find someone specially in the dining area that had the authority to make simple decisions, like move a chair from its original place to accommodate an extra family member to dine together as it seemed that they were more worried about not disturbing the immaculate layout than accommodating a simple guest need. I understand that it is in the best interest of the resort to keep everything in perfect order but if guests cannot even move a chair in the pool, dining or lounge areas to comfortably accommodate all its family, guests would not feel attracted in using any of the facilities fearing that the staff will not allow them to feel comfortable.

I sent my impression of my stay and all I got back was a boilerplate answer that wasn't at all related with what I wrote which made me think that they don't even analyze the feedback.

Hope their management read all these reviews and make quick changes in their policies otherwise they will learn the hard way, they have to understand that they have a lot of competition and reviews within the frequent travelers spread very fast.

Room Tip: Check the reviews 6 months from now before booking
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
22  Thank AYven
Reviewed January 14, 2013

i was staying at mulia resort for 2 days, the hotel is really big, with good location i would say. there are some good and bad points which i will describe below (from my point of view)

Good POint,
1.the buffet breakfast has a lot of choices to choose from, from indian,chinese,thai, japanese,etc.
2.i really love the bed and bed linen (they are the best)
3.Automatic closet is nice too.
4. like the design of the hotel even though it has less balinese touch. very modern to be in bali though.
5. the hotel view at night time is amazing
6. the lady who showed me the room is really nice, good service rom her.

Bad point,
1.please be aware thet the hotel is not yet completed, i could see many construction workers loitering around the premises.
2.The Famous balinese spa is not yet available at the hotel, it may open next month. The japanese restaurant is not yet open too.
3. the price of the buffet at dinner is too expensive, i brought my 3 years old daughter to eat buffet and they asked me to pay half of the buffet price, i did some argued with the waiter, and at the end they asked me to pay around Rp50 000 (if im not wrong). it is not im stingy about the price, but i think its not worth it to pay that much for a 3 years old child. it is because i ate 10 times more than her, if you know what i meant.
4. the hotel is huge, you can get lost sometimes, but there are many employees around the premises that can guide you through.
5, water pressure can be added at the shower
6. the room is new and it smells of bricks :(
8. too many security guard watching you swimming ( i dont really like this)
7. difficult to get a room through travel agent, they are always waiting for response which is VERY slow from MULIA. and at the end the room that you recquired is sold out, and higher type of room is available. i do hope it is not Mulia style of doing business though.

this is my point of view for Mulia resort, overall i do like my stay there, and will come there after everything is completed. i think Mulia needed some time to fix this issue. hope everything will be fixed if i stayed there again.

Room Tip: try the room that has access to lagoon
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family