“Weird room configuration” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Bali, Indonesia
“Weird room configuration”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Its brand spanking new and that is pretty much what its got going for it NOW. I have never stayed in a hotel room with the sink in the main bedroom. It is awkward to get in and out of cubicles ( separate toilet and shower) with glass doors that open into each other and too close to the sink. The bedroom was small. With luggage, we could hardly move around. The little fridge hardly cooled the drinks. The terrace that overlooks the pool area is the size of a flower box. They had a small bench on it. One can't sit there and catch rays. The balcony is cement so no way to sit on the balcony and enjoy any view. We definitely couldn't sit two people on the terrace. The AC at least works but wish they had written instructions on how to set it. We thought we'd set the temps before we left and came back to a very hot room. It would have saved misery if they had instructions.
Breakfast is mediocre. Price is too much considering what there was. We happened to be staying here on a night when there was a major downpour and we'd gone out that night. The street the hotel is located OUTSIDE the BTDC was flooded in seconds. We had no choice but to wade thru floodwaters above the ankle. Motorcycles were driving on the pavement. Worst still is that there are open drains ( they have been like that for years) and those drains were covered in water and unmarked. Someone could just fall into one of those. We were scared but had no choice but brave it as it was late at night. Not exactly a dream experience. The room wifi connections sucked too. Housekeeping was inconsistent. The only thing the hotel has going for it is that it is new.

Room Tip: Look at other hotels in the area and price range
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JavaMama58
Nisfha K, Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear JavaMam58,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Tripadvisor.

We have taken note of your comments regarding the property and we will follow up on the various operational issues.

With reference to the drainage in the streets around the hotel, please be advised that we have written to the local Bandar regarding this matter as it not only affect the image of the various hotels in our surroundings however also the local community.

We remain with kind regards and hope to welcome you during your next visit to Bali.

Mercure Bali Nusa Dua

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Nice and clean hotel. it still new. They offer free shuttle to Bali Collection (shopping area at BTDC), wish they have free shuttle to kuta area, the traffic jam is worst.
I stayed there on mid March with my wife, small room but, think is quite alright for both of us since we seldom spend time in the room. Most of the day we went out and enjoy Bali. They have free wi-fi.

Room Tip: ask for pool view, if you spent more of your time in the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Meetjef
Dear Meetjef

Thank you for your kind comments regarding you recent stay at Mercure Nusa Dua.

We have taken note of your request regarding a shuttle to Kuta and we will plan a survey for our guest regarding the demand for such a service for our review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again during your next visit to Bali

Semarang, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This time, I would like to share my experience staying in a newly opened Mercure Bali Nusa Dua. Both of me and my wife were visiting Bali the 2nd time for Christmas holiday last year as we got a good (hotel) offer we could not refuse.

It all started when we arrived in Bali in the morning of December 24, 2012, after driving for about eleven (11) hours from Surabaya, my hometown. We decided to go to the hotel directly this time after spending many hours on the road. It was not so difficult for us to find the hotel although it took us more than 10 minutes to figure out how to get there when we arrived in Nusa Dua area.

The best way to find this hotel is finding the access road going to St. Regis Bali, Mulia Resort or Nikko Bali Resort and Spa as it is basically the same exact road heading to all these hotels. This hotel is much closer to Nusa Dua By Pass compare to other hotels I've mentioned before. So, if you can't find the signboard to Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, try to find signboard heading to any of the above hotels and for frequent travelers to Bali, I guess they would have no problem in finding the hotel if they know how to get to NIkko Bali Resort and Spa.

We're quite impressed when we arrived in the security check-point : From distance, someone could see similar designs when we entered W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak or even in Mulia Resort. The entrance gate appeared to be quite grand but when we drove further, we would see empty parcel in our surroundings and from there, we could see the main building and its parking structure.

We both arrived in the hotel around I:30 ~ 2:00 pm (Bali/local time) and we proceeded straight away to the front desk for check-in. The check-in procedure itself took quite longer than usual as we had to wait in the lobby for approx. 15 minutes before our room was ready. There was another guests arrived almost at the same time as ours and I saw they also had to wait in the lobby. Well, we could live with that and after driving for 11 hours, 15~20 minutes really was not a big deal for us.

When we entered our room, I immediately felt disappointed to learn how small our room was considering this was a four-stars-hotel. The room was approx. 20~25% smaller than the room in Mercure Bali Harvestland Kuta. For seconds, I had a strong impression whoever designed the room, they were trying to build as many rooms as possible in one floor. However, the good thing was everything seemed to be in order at the time we checked-in : Air conditioner worked nicely, everything was nice and clean and the best thing was we even have a (small) private balcony although we could not see any view from there but at least we could get fresh air anytime we wanted it.

We had a good sleep in the first night and we did not realize the first problem until we woke up the next morning. We woke up early the next day after hearing people (and children) walking, running, talking, playing and even countless of loud bang of opened and closed doors. Well, frankly speaking, this was something I did not expect to find during my stay especially in any of Nusa Dua Hotels and it's happening every morning !!! Until now, I could not imagine how any of the hotel guests could stand this horrible situation when they were visiting Bali for holiday and would like to have a good night's sleep.

In my honest opinion, the hotel was poorly designed (certainly for its sound proof) and poorly built. It was sad for me to say but that's my honest opinion after staying in this hotel property for six (6) days. During my stay, you would see water dripping from the ceiling in the shower area but there was one thing I certainly would not accept was the fact that the house keeping did not even replace/clean the cups in the room for the duration of our stay !!!

This horrible situation worsened with the act of few front desk staffs when I requested a late check-out (1:00 pm) and after few requests, both of us felt we were being ignored by them so that we decided to proceed with check-out immediately. In the front desk area, I managed to speak with Head of Finance Controller (if I was not mistaken) where I shared my experience.

He was quite responsive by taking down my feedback and even offered me to speak directly with Mr. Peter Stolk who happened was standing in the lobby area, talking with one of the hotel owners who stayed in the hotel property with his family. Since I lost my mood already, I politely refused his offer but I decided to fill out a comment card which Mr. Peter replied after receiving it.

In my personal opinion, it is a pity that this hotel is not properly built and run as it supposedly. The hotel certainly is located in one of the prestigious area in Bali (Nusa Dua) where many world renowned hotels are being built in this area. Although we were quite impressed by the second we arrived in security check-point but basically there was nothing in the hotel except a good size swimming pool for the hotel guests to enjoy.

Finally, based on our experience in staying at this hotel, both of me and my wife have decided that this would be our last stay in this hotel : Yes, we decided to stay away from this hotel as nothing was properly performed and managed. However, as a newly built hotel, I hope they are willing to listen to guests' feedback and realize that many other hotels are doing whatever they can to keep their guests coming back. Hotel's competition in Bali is so fierce these days so that anyone who operates hotel in Bali simply can't close their eyes as they can lose the business these days if they don't perform and treat the clients well enough.

Room Tip: Get a room with pool view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bambang S
Peter S, General Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Bambang S

Thank you for taking the time to write at TripAdvisor and inform us about your experiences at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua during your stay on December.

I would like to refer to my email I send to you on 03 January 2013 as a reply regarding your stay which you commented on in the guest questionnaire.

Further, I would also like to thank you again for the kind and understanding reply you send to me the same day.

We have continued over the past months the staff training besides we have made additional technical improvements and consulting a sound insulation specialist.

I hope that despite this lapse in our services, we hope to meet you in person the next time you visit Bali.

Peter Stolk
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

It is a great place to stay, I would definitely be staying here again....I arrived at the airport at around midnight, so I had organized for hotel pickup, and the Indra who picked me up from airport was great, gave me lots of information about Bali, as this was my first time to Bali. All the do's and don'ts. The pictures that are put up by management do not do the justice with hotel. The hotel has a vast garden, great layout. I never thought that this hotel would be so awesome. Check-in was smooth. Escorted to the room and everything was explained about the hotel. During my four nights stay, I was completely awed by the staff, all of them, food was nice, although didnt ate much but whatever I had was tasty...stay in all was great....would definitely be coming back to this hotel, when I will visit bali, as hotels in Kuta and Seminyak are crowded by bars playing loud music and too much pollution. If someone has to stay in pollution then why even leave the city...Thank you Mercure Bali Nusa Dua for making my stay enjoyable....

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Vishal D
Nisfha K, Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Mr. Vishal D

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the friendliness of the staff and we have shared your kind comment to our team and Indra it self.

We hope you enjoyed your time in Bali and we look forward to welcoming you back at such time you visit Bali again.

Surabaya, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a new 4* hotel, situated in Nusa Dua, but not in the enclave BTDC area though.

I stayed here just last week. Got deluxe pool view room. I checked in already almost midnight thus I could not appreciate the surrounding including the garden etc. Even the taxi driver who drove me found that road from entrance to the lobby a little confusing, and it was so dim with very limited lights.

The check-in was smooth, the front office staffs were all very good and helpful, kudos to them! I asked the to re-pack my stuffs and left in at the front office so I did not bother to bring it to my room.

When I entered the room and try to insert my card into the power-house, it was already broken, not severely though but it was falling off.

I like the room design, modern and fresh contemporary. Breakfast was standard nothing too special, I guess because so far their existing clients are locals and Asian (esp. China tour groups), there were just very few Caucasian during my stay there but I am sure if they expand their market they could also improve the buffet breakfast.

I really hope they can keep up their services and the maintenance then they should be alright.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Kongco
Nisfha K, Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Mr. Konco

Thank you for taking the time to add your review at TripAdvisor. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed our services and the friendliness of the staff, specially the Front Office Staff.

We have noted your comments and have in the meantime repaired the Energy Saving socket. Further please be advised that we are in the process of changing the breakfast menu which will soon become available.

We hope you enjoyed your time in Bali and look forward to welcoming you back

Bali
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

we stayed in this hotel during Nyepi Holiday and was signed for the nyepi package. receptionist was welcomed but the check inn proceed took so long. hotel room was poor super duper small not balance with the largest garden and hotel area even i did upgraded to deluxe room. the wood material of the door that they use is so poor and cheap because it was cracked and loose from the frame when i close the back door that facing to the pool. horrible..
the F and B department should pay attention since the buffet always ran out of the food isn't it weird for the Mercure chain hotel reputation. based on my experienced we have to wait for the top up food for 15 minutes at least. breakfast ran out of fresh milk, the waiter said we don't have stock anymore...i don't even know how to said back. looks that the hotel management needs to learn a lot which is funny since they caring Mercure brand and the hotel is in popular resort area.

Room Tip: choose deluxe room in front of the pool
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank wizzardthing
Nisfha K, Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Wizzardthing,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your recent experiences at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua .

It was with great concern to receive your comments regarding your room and the breakfast served for which we apologize.

Please rest assured that these matters have been brought to the attention of the Management team for follow up.

Thank you for bringing the matters to our consideration and despite this lapse in our services, we hope to meet you in person the next time you visit Bali.

Surabaya, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Mercure Bali Nusa Dua is still new, they opened around september 2012. The hotel was clean, modern tropical interior minimalist style, the rooms are also clean. The services of the staff were friendly. My ratings for this hotel are:

I like: Clean, friendly service, modern style lobby, restaurant dishes were delicious, free and fast internet connection. Prices are relatively cheap for a 4 star hotel in the nusadua area.

Dislike: Less variations breakfast. No spa and sauna. There is only one restaurant. Away from the beach but luckily the hotel provides a free shuttle to their private beach on the Nusadua. Room is small, so not suitable for family with little children, you should choose a larger room if you bring children, or rented two rooms with a connecting door. Because mercure is a business hotel so the activities and kids club for children not available. Lucky, they have a fairly good swimming pool for the children. But better you choose Novotel Nusa Dua or Novotel Benoa, they are more suitable for families with children.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank johnbudi77
Nisfha K, Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Mr. JhonB77

Warmest greetings from Mercure Bali Nusa Dua !

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your recent experience at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our services and the friendliness of the staff.

We have noted your comment regarding the breakfast variations, which have been brought to the attention of the Management team for follow up.

We hope you enjoyed your time in Bali and look forward to welcoming you back