“Great villas and good service”
Review of The Bale

The Bale
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We were welcomed by the manager Luke and then shown to our villa by Gobi, our assistant. The villas are great, with a modern design, strong air conditioning, electric mosquito repellant, comfortable day bed and relaxing pool, accessible via the garden and bathroom. When we dined at the restaurant for breakfast, we were greeted by the chef who knew of our itinerary and plans. It shows that management is making a serious attempt at good customer service. Our personal assistant was very helpful booking restaurants at short notice. This is a great place for those seeking privacy and good service whilst avoiding the big resorts.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank RockYu
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Hello RockYu, thank you for your contribution and for staying with us. We all do try very hard to ensure the guest experience is maximised and simple things like communicating amongst each other at Department Head level, then having this cascaded down to the remainder of the team is crucial for us to achieve this. There is more to a guest experience than just a nice villa as you know and this comes from the genuine nature of our team, our belief and desire to succeed with the icing on the cake being a lovely villa product. We are different from many of the large hotels that surround us due to our boutique size so more personal, our service and our interaction at all levels. I am glad you experienced this and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back from Hong Kong in the near future. If I can assist in making this happen please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I can’t recommend The Bale highly enough. This is the nicest and most private place we’ve stayed all over Asia, and by far the friendliest.

The whole property is a beautiful mix of modern & traditional luxury and very spacious. The villas are lovely, very clean and are enormous with private pools so you hardly need to go outside if you don’t want to. So much better than a resort hotel room! They’re cleverly designed so you have a sense of space even though they are set on a small boutique property.

The entire staff are so welcoming, friendly and accommodating. They truly want to make your stay the best it can be and there is always a driver on hand to take you anywhere in the area, and pick you up. Wonderful service all round.

Both restaurants are great and it was so refreshing to get a super healthy breakfast every morning, which is included. Their fresh juices and smoothies were a highlight! The food at the new TAPA restaurant is so good and well priced that we went there every night.

We’ve been coming to Bali for 20yrs and we will be staying at The Bale from now on. Thanks to Luke and all the staff, we had a fantastic relaxing visit!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Hello Tania S and thank you for your highly positive posting. I hope it was not too cold returning to one of the worlds great cities being Melbourne, after a sun filled warm holiday with us. I am glad you have identified the difference between us, as a small boutique style resort relative to the larger hotels which surround us. There is a huge difference not just in the quality product we provide, but the flexibility interaction and personalised service smaller properties like ours can provide. We love what we provide as a quality villa style product with every villa having its own pool and our no children under 16 policy certainly provides a different environment. The team here go out of their way to ensure you have a memorable experience and they do love seeing guests return, which we do have a very large base that do this which says what we do we are doing right. TAPA has been a wonderful addition to our Food and Beverage offerings and I am glad you spent significant time there. Not just the food and beverage with friendly service but the price point is perfect for all guests. When you can return, I am here to help so liaise with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com and we all will ensure that round 2 is as good as, if not better than round 1. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Although we live in Bali, we love to get away for a weekend and as it was our anniversary, chose The Bale. I'd met their general manager, Luke previously and he had recommended the tapas restaurant. We decided to make a night of it, as there was music on that night, and we are so glad we did!

The Bale has been there for around eight years. Most of the staff seem to be originals and speak warmly of working there, which is such a delight. They all speak exceptional English but were happy that I could also speak Bahasa Indonesia with them, so don't be shy if you know a few words!

There are around 26 villas, all with their own private pools. The villas are huge, the bathroom is to die for. Yes, it comes with a price tag, but this means that your breakfast is included. The chef is there in the mornings, so you really get an a la carte breakfast in every sense of the word. We only had to pay for my sparkling water.

The properties are set in Nusa Dua on the hill. You will need to drive to get to the shopping, but they do have a driver on hand and getting a taxi is no problem from here, and cheap. It is relatively close to the airport and far from the hustle and bustle of touristville, Kuta.

It is definitely for couples, kids under 16 not allowed. Very private and relaxing. The food in the restaurant is lovely and very reasonably priced, not over the top like some places.

The best thing is the service. You are made to feel special from the start. Luke makes a point of greeting all his guests.

Even though it is boutique, space is something that has not been skimped on. It would be a superb place to have a function, particularly at the upstairs huge pool/dining area.

Even if you only splurge for one night, make this a must-do if you can afford to.

It is located near the new resorts, which is a shame, but once you get inside, they are a distant memory. At night, you can hear noise in the distance from a nightclub, but light earplugs sort this out if you like me, are a light sleeper.

The villas are a blend of modern and traditional, with high rooves but spacious interiors.

Definitely worth a visit, if not only for tapas and acoustic on a Friday night. Thanks to the staff, we had a truly memorable evening.

Room Tip: All seem pretty special!
1  Thank Creatavision
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Hello Angusthe Great, thank you for your detailed and thorough posting. It genuinely is great having the Ex-Pat market within Bali come and see our product as we enjoy making everyone feel truly special, regardless of location. I really believe the local Balin community (both local and ExPat) are not as aware as they should be with the quality of accomodation and dining right on their doorstep with a product like ours. We have a lovely resort as you have experienced, with quality food and beverage but most importantly a very reasonable price. TAPA is our newest addition and very much open to all guests internal and external at ultimately a super competitive price given the competition that surrounds us in a friendly and casual atmosphere. I am glad you experienced what we do and we do well. I do hope that postings like yours provide awareness to more of the local market to come and enjoy what we have on offer with a wonderful team to support this right across the board. I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the near future. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I went up to to stay in The Bale in Nusa Dua for 2 nights as it was his birthday and I wanted to surprise him, we had no idea what to expect. We were completely blown away! We were shown to our room by a very lovely staff member and were delightfully surprised at how elegant and luxurious the room was. We had our own private pool so there was no need to leave the room at all.

At about 5pm we were surprised when there was a knock at the door and 3 beautiful staff members holding a delicious chocolate cake began to sing 'happy birthday'. I hadn't organized this, it was such a kind gesture prepared solely by the hotel staff.

We both fell inlove with the place and seriously didn't want to leave. The food was amazing, the staff were exceptionally great, and it was so relaxing! We were taken to the beach club during the days and spent the nights relaxing in our villa by the pool.

I would highly recommend the Bale to anyone and everyone! Especially any couples looking for a romantic getaway - this is the place to go! Honestly could not say one bad word about our entire stay. Thank you very much to the Bale!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Hello EmDee23 and thank you for a wonderful heading. We will happily accept "Absolutely Divine" as a posting any day of the week and I am glad our team went above and beyond your expectations for you to be able make such a statement. We enjoy what we do, we are very proud of our environment and our product, which I know is on display via our guest experience. The team here very much enjoy seeing people share special occasions with us in style and throw in a few surprises just for good measure. Our environment is perfect for couples celebrating birthdays like you did or any other special occasion due to the size of our villas, the peaceful environment we create and our no children policy given the romantic and tranquil environment we promote. I do hope we can have you return again in the near future given your close proximity to us, perhaps to enjoy our new TAPA bar and restaurant with some live music and friendly atmosphere. If I can assist in making this happen, please feel free to contact me directly luke.harley@thebale.com Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Bale...The villas are spacious and very well maintained. The resort offers a tremendous amount of privacy and solace. As we were leaving we heard they were going to do some renovations so its surely will be getting better.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Islandtraveller11, thank you for your belated posting from September last year and also for visiting us from the USofA. Unfortunately I was not here at the time you visited to meet with you face to face and since your last stay, the renovations have included not just a product refresh but also the opening of our new TAPA bistro. TAPA is a very spacious open air environment with a fantastic cocktail and wine list, beautiful TAPA style food with very generous portions along with occasional live entertainment. This has been a welcome addition to the property providing not just our in house guests with another dining option, but also for external guests who are looking for somewhere to meet, enjoy a comfortable with relaxed environment and atmosphere. You will have to return so you can enjoy our new addition and if I can assist in making this happen, do not hesitate to contact me directly. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon in December 2012 and were left slightly disappointed. Perhaps it was the time of the year and it was too hot, so we stayed indoors most of the time in our villa, and the aircond was not cold enough due to the searing heat. We loved the pool in our villa which helped us to cool off.

There are two things that can't be faulted about this property: the wonderful staff/service and the food quality, which saved our honeymoon! We loved the food (every meal was fabulous!), but found the concept of having in-room dining ironically tiresome (it was too hot to eat outdoors!) as we had to keep on running out from out bedroom to the main gate of our villa to let the staff in.

This property does not have direct access to the beach, which would have been a plus and would helped us to cool down in the heat. Our honeymoon package came with a spa treatment which I unfortunately had an allergic reaction to (which hasn't happened at any other spa in my life before and I've been to many!), so I didn't enjoy the spa as much as I had hoped to. The cleanliness of our villa wasn't to a 5-star standard though, with lots of dead small insects under the sofa cushions and around corners in and around the bathroom corners.

We also had a one day excursion organised by the hotel, but noted that every tourist spot the guide took us to charged us a fee, if only just to view some rice fields by the side of the road! The restaurants we were taken to were of poor quality, with lots of flies sitting on the food everywhere. We just didn't feel well taken care of at all.

Despite these disadvantages, we couldn't fault the Bale's staff and kitchen - always with a ready warm smile and excellent service, excellent food. They could certainly improve on their readiness during the summer months (the poor reception staff looked like they were suffering in the lobby without airconditioning) and also links with third party providers for excursions in and around Bali.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pippyclearsoup
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Hi 3Rs and thank you for your belated posting from your stay 8+ months ago. All feedback is good feedback and taken very constructively but I am confident if you returned you would see a considerable difference in the guest experience. I had only begun in December last year when you were here and since your visit, every villa has been through a 1 week per villa Preventative Maintenance program which is detailed and very involved. Now we have finished with all villas, we are currently in the process of starting again from the beginning. You are absolutely correct about the weather, humidity and heat when you were here in December. It was searing and that season is the hottest and most humid so while we do all we can to maximise guest comfort, there are times when mother nature just wins. We do provide 3 ac units per villa and we are also currently trialing a different brand of compressor to assist but when it is 40+ degrees and 90%+ humidity, on some days the pool is the best place to be which is conveniently located in the privacy of your villa. I will also guarantee that we will have fans installed in our lobby area by the next wet season for our team as AC will obviously not work in an open environment. I am glad you mentioned our team and our villa product as these are the aspects of the guest experience we can control. Your points are noted about the daily excursions and I absolutely agree we do recommend service providers and they reflect our property, but please be mindful costs associated to enter parks, fields, rice paddies and even parking for restaurants etc are in the control of the local villages to keep employment and fund local families and structure. There is not any driver or tour guide whether ours or provided by an external party that can minimise this, albeit I do acknowledge many do work on commissions when utilising a particular service of the tour. If we can welcome you back to celebrate an anniversary, please feel free to liaise with me directly and I will assist to ensure it is a memorable experience.
Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My Husband and I have very hectic business lives and we enjoy visiting The Balé to kick back , relax and enjoy just doing nothing!!
The Balé is the perfect place to unwind! The villas are very private amongst lots of greenery and large fences, the rooms are beautiful and large, the property is quiet..making it the most perfect place to relax!

As I have a huge list of dietary requirements, the chef ensured that my gluten free vegan meals were made to my liking every day! They even baked fresh daily gluten free cookies for us!
The food is a real highlight - as everything is very fresh and healthy! For the health conscious - I highly recommend staying here!

This was our third visit to The Balé and we will most certainly return when we are in need of some R and R! We highly recommend this property to anyone wishing to do Bali in style!

Room Tip: Deluxe Pavilions for the extra space..
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear TennilleLee, thank you for your review and more importantly thank you for visiting us 3 times. We are the perfect environment to kick back, relax and do nothing given our small inventory of rooms and environment so we are also a lot more personalised, interactive and involved with our guest experience. There are enough larger volume hotels around us if people want more activity, atmosphere and people to surround them but if you just want a quiet, relaxed and private environment with professional and discreet service then we are it... as you both know. I look forward to making it a 4th return and anything I can do to make this happen, I am only an email away so feel free to liaise with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards - Luke Harley