“Perfect relaxing getaway”
Review of The Bale

The Bale
Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Bale for 7 nights in July - it was our first trip to Bali. From the moment we were met at the airport the service and stay was amazing. On the way to the hotel we were treated to fresh fruit, cookies and cold water and refreshing towels. The staff were waiting for us when our car arrived and we were taken to our villa (a deluxe single pavillion) for check-in. After an efficient process checking in we were given a traditional drink in our room made fresh by our Butler. The food and drinks at Faces were delicious - we enjoyed cocktails every evening. The beach (Geger) was OK but nothing special (a lot of trash washing up and floating) but there was really no need to leave the room with an amazing pool and day bed outside. We had the sucking pig BBQ one night and it was great. Also had a couple of great massages at the spa. Staff were so friendly and eager to please - in particular Kadek and Raz (I hope spelling is right!) took great care of us and always had a smile. We have stayed in quite a few of these beach-side spa-type resorts and this is by far and away the best service we've ever had anywhere in S.E. Asia - the staff speak excellent English and were genuinely happy to help. After a stressful first half of the year this was a revitalising and memorable trip and we would certainly recommend a stay here. Hope to visit again soon.

1  Thank ScrappyMatt
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hi ScrappyMatt, thank you for your review and visiting us from Perth. First impressions last!! and I am glad your experience began upon arrival at the airport before you even reached our property and this set the tone for the remainder of your stay. We are very proud of what we provide not just from our product, but also what our team does and does well. They create the experience in a very genuine way which they enjoy and this then reflects on what you receive. Our F&B team are wonderful both in the kitchen and on the floor, I am glad you noted the suckling pig or Bubi Guling as it is a Bali specialty and has to be tried at least once. I am glad you enjoyed your first trip to Bali and we were able to provide you both fond memories for a return. if I can assist in making this happen, please liaise with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Friendly staff who never fails to give a smile when they see you. Excellent driver to chauffeur us wherever we want to go - comes on time for our meetup too.

Booked a single pavilion but got a double pavilion instead. Although I was only allowed access to 1 pavilion, the luxury of more space made me happy!

Breakfast was great because you get to enjoy it at the convenience in your villa. We initially wanted to have our breakfast at least once outside of our villa. "Unfortunately", the bed and the villa was too strong a magnet. We just wanted to lay in the bed all day. However, not all food I'd ordered were delicious. Some (such as the omelette & scrambled egg) were rather disappointing. But, do order The Bale Benedict and the Huevos Rancheros; fruit juice weren't excellent either. All in all, decent breakfast though.

Got a complimentary cake for our anniversary which was a nice gesture.

The downside of my villa was that rain seeped in during a night of thunderstorm. Kinda worrying, but luckily, the bed was not affected.

Don't think The Bale would disappoint you for your stay, so do choose this place. I assure you'll not wanna get out of your villa too often! :)

2  Thank Cherry Z
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Hello CherryZ. Thank you for staying with us and also thank you for taking the time to post some "real life" photos of your time with us, it is great seeing our guests post images instead of professional photographers as if often the case. I am glad we were able to provide you with a memorable 3 night stay with us to celebrate your special occasion. Our staff and their friendliness are our greatest asset, so thank you for noting this along with the fact all guests can choose to have their breakfast in our Faces restaurant by the pool, or the luxury of their own villa. I will also ensure that the areas of breakfast we did fall slightly short are investigated, along with the slight flooding you encountered which was very out of season. As you are only in Singapore being a quick 2 hour journey away, I hope we have the chance to welcome you back for another anniversary or any other special occasion. If I can make this happen do not hesitate to make contact with me directly on luke.harley@thebale.com

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The Balé is a great hotel away from the hostel and bustle of the Kuta and Seminyak nightlife. It is a small, resort style hotel where the providing a relaxing vacation for guests is paramount.

Our villa was very spacious with its own garden and private swimming pool. The restaurant ("Faces") provide an excellent choice of both Indonesian and Western cuisine.

Hotel staff know guests by name, engage with you and fire whatever help you might need for tourist attractions around Bali. A great example set by the hotel manager in spending time every morning having a brief chat with guests at breakfast.

The Balé is not inexpensive, nonetheless the service, the facilities and the food are all top quality.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Hello dcah11 and thank you for visiting us from the harbour city. We love the fact we are a boutique hotel of only 27 x 1 br villas (given the volume of larger hotels in Nusa Dua with 200 right up to 800 rooms) as we can provide a more personalised guest experience. From myself, to our Exec Chef, to our Front Office Manager to our front line team we are all very interactive with our guests daily to ensure we can create a memorable time at The Bale. We do it because we enjoy it!! and we all enjoy going to work every day due to our environment and team we work with, which I believe shows in the service and ambience. I am very happy you experienced this and took the time to write this review. I do hope I can personally welcome you both back and here to assist in making this happen if and when required.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Bale Nusa Dua is the ultimate experience.Pricy but worth it.Gentle welcoming staff.Great Food at Faces Restaurant.Good breakfast.Lovely Villa.Nothing is too much trouble.Spa experience great.
Back from the beach but beach is very windy.
Bale ideal for those looking for an exclusive experience.Late checkout available,which is fabulous for flights back to Australia.We had a lovely relaxing,do nothing holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the golf course.
1  Thank Elizabeth L
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear LizL, thank you very much for your review and we are glad you had a "great stay." We are very proud of our product, our team and what we provide as a guest experience. We certainly provide the right environment for our guests to relax and do as much, or as little as they wish with discreet yet professional service. The villas are very spacious to ensure there is enough space and privacy for our guests to enjoy themselves. I am glad you were able to maximise your time with us by enjoying your late check out, but as I am sure you can appreciate these are not always guaranteed and very much subject to occupancy, daily movement and availability. I certainly hope we can welcome you back again from Australia and if I can assist in making this happen, please feel free to liaise with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 nights at The Bale at the end of June after having spent 6 months working on a busy Malaysian work assignment and had the most amazing Total Relaxation experience. The Bale really does provide the opportunity to switch of and de-stress from normal life. The Bale experience is actually in two parts, the hotel and restaurant
First the hotel, relaxed, efficient attentive yet unobtrusive service, with the "pavilions" providing a very special hotel experience. Then the restaurant, quite simply breakfast, lunch and dinner all provide an absolutely world class dining experience. We ended up eating in the hotel every day, maybe we didn't truly experience much of Bali but I do not believe we missed anything in the dining experience.
To address some negatives in other reviews:
1 Air conditioning in the rooms was more than effective, to the point where we were turning off or adjusting settings.
2. Staff friendliness and greeting. Our experience was that all the staff, management, front of house, hotel operations, dining and maintenance all were friendly helpful and always greeted.

Bali it self might be past it's prime as an exotic island destination but The Bale is a real oasis.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 32. Absolutely perfect only disadvantage is that the day bed wasn't properly sha...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you XoshaMoya. It is not very often we have guests from South Africa so thank you for visiting us. As your first trip to Bali, we are all happy you were able to leave with positive impressions of not just our property and its service, but also Bali as a whole. It is a beautiful country with beautiful people and wonderful values. I am glad you experienced this at The Bale and can tell others of your positive experience. We are a wonderful property for total relaxation and rejuvenation as well as a bit of romance too, especially with our very large and private villas with our no children policy. The back up services to our villas are also special including our Spa, Faces Restaurant which as you mentioned is top quality and our new TAPA restaurant which is a bit more casual with some added atmosphere. Chef Hamish and his team are very proud of not just what comes out from the kitchen, but the environment and style the team creates so this feedback is very well received. While I appreciate it is a long way to travel from Durban, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and if I can be personally involved in making this happen, please do not hesitate to contact me directly luke.harley@thebale.com

Reviewed July 10, 2013

the staff were amazing and helpful... its just a matter of asking..... the rooms were spacious and well maintained. breakfast was a treat- peaceful and yummy. i would recommend the bale for an escape...........................

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello RJ, thank you for visiting us from the USofA and for your belated posting. I am glad you are still remembering us 6 months after your departure to prompt you to write this. It was a long way to travel and we are all very happy we exceeded your expectations. You have hit the nail on the head about our staff and facilities. Our team are wonderful!! very genuine discreet and professional to give you the Balinese experience you come to Bali for. Our facilities are very spacious, private and well maintained as you would expect from a 5 star resort. We are different from the many hotesl that surround us and that's what sets us apart. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Bale in the near future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a very nice boutique hotel. They have spacious villa/rooms and the staff is superior to major city 5 star hotels. I can't say enough good things about this place. Thank you all there at the Bale you made our stay in Bali a memorable one!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear railda, thank you for your brief and highly positive contribution about our product. We do like "excellent" as that means we met and exceeded your expectations which is our aim. We love our small boutique resort, which I believe shows in the caring nature of our team and the service delivered. We are different due to the fact there are so many high volume resorts which surround us that we can create a guest experience that is personalised, which you obviously experienced and enjoyed. I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.