“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Singapore, Singapore
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and me stayed in The Bale for 4 nights in Oct 2012. I was disappointed for a variety of reasons.

Service is average. Yes, we were adequately greeted by butlers but their engineering or non uniformed staff walked passed us without so much as a hello. In Samaya where I stayed in Feb 2012, when I raised a hand in their restaurant, a passing engineer literally ran towards me and informed the waiter I needed help. Such was their urgency to serve. You wont get this sense of urgency in The Bale. I called the Reception on a few occassions. My calls went unanswered and no one returned my calls.

Facilities. My room toilet's W.C. broke down thrice. They fixed it once, it worked for a while then could not flush again. Then the second time and by the last day, I simply gave up calling. You will not be a happy camper if you cannot answer nature's call. The air con was not cold. The room temperature could not go below 27 degrees. We were perspiring in our supposedly air con villa. Yes, the engineers eventually came to replace the faulty fan coil but it was only after we realized something was wrong with the air conditioner. Well, we thought Bali was supposed to be hot. But a faulty air con??? I was made to feel I was there to supervise their renovations, not as a guest.

Room service. On my 4th day at around 5pm, I was swimming with my wife in the private swimming pool and being alone, we werent dressed. The Cleaning team rang the doorbell and then barged in claiming we needed our room cleaned.

Now, I am not a hotelier but it should be almost criminal to barge into a guest's room when they are not clothed! No, I did not ask for extra cleaning and they already cleaned it in the morning. They probably got the wrong villa. But will you accept it when you are naked, locked in embrace with your wife and suddenly a cleaning team with keys to your villa appear before you?!

Yes, our room was cleaned every morning but the cleaning lady for strange reasons, left the complementary juice given to us on our arrival until the 3rd day when a dead lizard was found in it then she decided to dispose of it. An arrival complementary juice with dead lizard in it on the 3rd day is not my idea of a first rate hotel.

We got many mosquito bites too. I am not sure how this can be avoided so I wont be critical. To be fair, they did fog. So in the middle of the night, I heard mosquitos buzzing around my ears. No, I did not sleep well all 4 nights. I did not experience this at The Samaya.

The food at their only restaurant Faces was average. Not much variety. By the 3rd day, I was already sick of their complementary breakfast. The Tom Yum Goong taste changes every day. I did find their Mango Parfait excellent.

Will we stay with The Bale again? Perhaps, if Samaya closes. Its a pity. The Bale has nice architectures, a beautiful pool and glorious villas. But thats about it. For a US$200 a night hotel, I would have rated it highly. But for US$675 a night, I have to really hate others to go there.

1 Thank Theodore_Yeo
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Theodore_Yeo

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read that you have had a bad impression during your stay with us and it is a pity you did not mention anything to me when we met everyday for breakfast.

I have carefully read all your comments and would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Our service is usually praised as our team, or family members are very friendly and very keen to be of help, and I am not sure why this did not show to you. I am here everyday and I see them interacting with the guests and I can guarantee that they take service very seriously. I am sorry for this inconvenience.

I have received comments yesterday about your toilets, and have now placed the room out of order to make sure this incidents are not repeated. I am still not sure why this happened as the guests staying in the same pavilion never experienced such problems.

I have addressed the inappropriateness of the housekeeping team not waiting for a reply before entering the pavilion. I am deeply sorry about this incident and will do all the necessary so it does not happen again.

Regarding the inconsistency of the Tom Yum I have spoken to the chef to conduct a more thorough training with the team to ensure consistency. I am nevertheless surprised with your comments about the breakfast as in fact we have 26 different food items and 28 drink items to choose from and it usually receives a lot of praise from our guest.

I thank you again for writing this review and also sincerely apologize for not having been able to meet your expectations which is something I personally take very seriously.

I wish you luck in your future travels and do ot hesitate to contact me personally for further remarks or questions.

Michele Giraudo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Bale, upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and the Manager Michele. First impressions of this beautiful post modern resort were excellent, from its unique entry through to the foyer pavillion, we were escorted to our own private pavillion with sizeable pool for inroom check in and orientation, which was a very nice touch! The bedroom/living was spacious a very chic adjoing a large bathroom with access to the pool and separate additional outdoor shower, the toiletries were excellent.

The Restaurant and main pool areas are enticing with excellent food, the gym is well equipt with great air conditioning.

We stayed in Pavillion 18 which was incredibly peaceful, elevated with sea glimpse, there was no construction noise to be heard.

The staff here are friendly, caring and efficient, the butler service excellent, a standout here was the oncall complimentary chauffeur service for local shopping trips and the 3min beach drop.

What we enjoyed most was the small guest only Beach Club with towels, umberellas and sun beds, and the beach without the crowds (yet). It still retains some authenticity of the old Bali, with seaweed farmers and local boats, beautiful white sands, crystal clear ocean with a mix of warm & cool currents and the music of distant breaking waves from the fantastic reef break about 150m out. There is a great little local restaurant at the Club providing inexpensive Eastern & Western fare and cold drinks etc.

The local village presented great value massages and market style shopping, not far from this is the Bali Collection shopping Centre which is upmarket (not designer) with an array of shops and restaurants, much like one would find at home.

A special thankyou to our driver who escorted us to the Temple to watch sunrise at 5.30am!

We have thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, The Bale represents value for money, excellent service and accomodation, highly recommended.

Room Tip: 18 is elevated and peaceful (quite a few stairs though)
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear ormiston62

Thank you very much for writing such a thorough and positive review. I am really happy you enjoyed your stay with us to this level.

It was a great pleasure for me to be at your service and to have you here at the resort, the only thing I wish it was longer.

I have passed your praises to the entire Bale family, who was glad to have left such a great impression.

I also personally thanks Dewa for going the extra mile so early in the morning and driving you to Pura Geger for the sunrise. This really defines who we are and what we do, nothing is too much for us, as long as you can enjoy your time at our resort.

Thank you again and hopefully see you again soon.

Michele.
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from a week stay in The Bale for our honeymoon in Oct. Our expectations were quite high after reading all the great reviews here in TripAdvisor. Overall experience was on the positive end until the last day of our checkout. Our safe box was unable to open properly prior to check out with our usual password so we had to call our butler for help. The onsite manager came in with an electronic device and opened the safe immediately. My husband started counting what was inside the safe including our passports and money of difference currencies. Right on the spot, he alerted that we maybe missing $50 Canadian dollar. We started going through our stuff of all possible locations where this could have been hidden but it was nowhere to be found. We've only exchanged once of CAD$100 in Bali and did not spend any Canadian dollars afterwards so there was no way we could have used one CAD$50 bill along our trip. We even called back to our bank in HK to confirm on the total amount of CAD taken out to avoid any mistakes on our end. Since it was nearing our time of checkout and it wasn't a lot of money lost, we were prepared to leave without any further action. The general manager, Michele, thus came out from his office and said since he didn't want us to have a bad impression of stay on our honeymoon and to avoid the hassle of reporting to the police (which he mentioned was pretty useless since of the small amount lost), he was willing to give us a rebate of CAD$50 from the total bill of our stay at The Bale. It sounded good enough as there was nothing else we could have done on our own so we accepted the offer. This incident ended our honeymoon and a week stay at The Bale.

Overall Pros:
- excellent privacy of villas for couples/honeymooners
- loved the outdoor shower and large pool
- great food, especially adore their pancakes and baked eggs for breakfast
- spas that sweep all your fatigue away

Overall Cons:
- money lost in the hotel safe box (No, we did not spend it elsewhere nor found the missing bill back home. It got lost IN THE SAFE! Go figure.)
- many mosquitoes in the villa which you can't really avoid. Hang a mosquitoe net around your bed first night of arrival to avoid itching bites. It looks kinda nice too~

In conclusion, I must say there seems to be more pros than cons during our stay at The Bale. However, the con was so big that it kinda bummed out all the pros of the trip! Would I stay here again? Frankly, probably not. Even though they did pay for our lost this time, I won't want to be worried about my belongings/valuables which I may keep in my safe box on any trip, so why risk again, right?! I'll probably be back in Bali again, but this may probably be my first and final visit to The Bale.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Judy C

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor.

I am really surprised to read your review here. We did meet upon checkout and explained that we have never experienced theft and that 99 times out of 100 our guests find the misplaced money, phone, watch or any other item that goes missing after they check out or they simply recognize it as lost along the way.

Although I am not questioning your sincerity as I did not do when you checked out, as i am sure you lost 50 dollars, as you also say it, I can convincingly guarantee that none of our staff took it from your safe. Despite my conviction about this, then and now, I decided to graciously compensate you of the amount you lost, although we did not have any responsibility in this episode as your money was either locked in your safe or with you during the whole time and therefore impossible for any of our staff to take it.

All in all I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel and our facilities and recognize our service quality.

I wish also to repeat my most felt congratulations for your wedding.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We recently stayed at The Bale and had an amazing 7 days of peace and relaxation. The hotel was very modern, but beautifully designed. Our pavillion was absolutely stunning - the room was extremely large and the bathroom area was amazing! Our private pool and outdoor area with the daybed was so peaceful and made it feel like a gorgeous home away from home! We really felt at all times like we were the only people at the resort with the level of service provided by the manager and staff. The spa facilities were beautiful and the relaxation massage comes highly recommended! The chef should also be mentioned in this review as the food during our stay was of very high quality. We indulged in a private BBQ at our pavillion on the last night of our stay - the candles, the personal chef, the food and the wine were such a memorable experience. We would definitely stay at The Bale again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Melanie C

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor..

I and the entire Bale family are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and all its aspects.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Ciao,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We just got back from 1 week at the Bale. This place is AMAZING !!! The service was above and beyond any other luxury resort i have stayed. Nothing is too much for the staff at the bale from the in room check in to the delicious breakfast. We even had to drop something back to a friends villa in Jimbaren and the hotel drove this over to the hotel and dropped something else back to us free of charge. I cant say enough nice things about this resort and their staff. The hotel itself is so private, you feel like you are the only person there. We will definately be coming back to the Bale at least once a year moving forward. It will become our home away from home when we need to de stress and relax.

Room Tip: We had a single pavillion which was perfect. plenty of room for 2 people
Dear ScottMcc123

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are very happy that you had a good time and appreciated our facilities and services.

We look forward to welcoming back soon!

Ciao,

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

From our experience, it's hard to believe that anyone could have an unpleasant experience at the Bale! We have traveled all around the world, and the Bale was hands down, the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at! The Bale is exquisitely designed, very modern, elegant, tranquil and chic. The grounds are well manicured and designed for the absolute sense of relaxation. The villas? well the villas are HUGE! Seriously, this is not your average "hotel room." It's more like a 1 bedroom home. We had a giant living room/bedroom, huge and wonderful bathtub, 1 indoor 2 person shower, 1 outdoor shower. Loved the ability to hook up your ipod/music listening device inside the Villa. The bed was very comfortable. The outside pavilion for our Villa (still inside your Villa) was equipped with a beautifully designed enclosure that surrounded a day bed that overlooked the grounds of the Villa and an amazing private pool that led directly into the bathroom! It's hard to imagine a more private experience on vacation than what is offered at the Bale. Seriously, there's a doorbell on the outside of your villa that alerts you to the staff/personal butler that is waiting outside to accommodate everything you may desire. Otherwise, if you want to spend your entire trip in your birthday suit, you are free to do so! Nobody, and I mean nobody can encroach on your stay. Although their were other people also staying at the Bale, we hardly ever ran into anyone-they too also stayed inside their villa/pavilion. This isn't to say that the common grounds of the Bale are unappealing (absolutely the opposite), it's just that your pavilion is too beautiful and relaxing to leave! We didn't even get a chance to spend some time in the beautiful looking common area pool (i want to lay in those water submerged lounge chairs - next time) our private pool was just too good to pass up! Every time we ventured out into Nusa Dua, Jimbaran, Seminyak, or the beach club outside of the Bale, we wished we just would have stayed in our Villa. The food was excellent, amazing and very delectable, which can be served inside your villa, on the daybed outside, wherever you want! The private indonesian bbq, prepared by a chef in your villa courtyard is very romantic and a fun experience under the stars. The Spa is also wonderful, and the ability to further relax after your massage with a large private hot tub is a nice touch. The Staff at the Bale could not have been more pleasant and accommodating. From our last minute package switch (the wife injured her foot) to the mosquito net installation, to the last minute bbq request, Michele and his staff met each one of our challenges with the utmost courtesy and compassion. Yes their are mosquitos, so bring bug spray and use the nets. We didn't notice much of the construction noise that is mentioned in some of the other reviews. Nevertheless, it's very sad that they are building a 800 room monstrosity next to the exceptional Bale-it just doesn't seem right, and from our point of view, will pale in comparison if matched up against what the Bale provides. We wish we could have spent more time at the Bale during our Honeymoon (we spent the rest of our trip in Ubud). Although quite expensive, we felt that we received great value and have tremendous memories of our stay at the Bale. The Villas and the Staff at the Bale truly deserve exceptional praise! Thank you Michele! Sincerely Dave & Kari

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Jonekar

Than you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed review of your stay. I and the entire Bale family thank you for this and look forward to welcoming you back at our resort.

Marbella
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Bale is a very nice hotel, designed in a very modern way with minimalism in mind, although beautiful, it might come across as a bit cold and clinical to some. This however is not necessarily reflected in the rooms which were fantastic, with a beautiful outdoor space and a very decent sized pool. This is probably why we didn't see a single person in the communal pool during our stay! Something we appreciated is the GM making daily appearances to make sure all was well.
The food in the restaurant was very good, and we took part in their Bali themed evening the first night which was nice and elegantly done. We very much enjoyed our cooking class with chef Made which we had arranged the day before.
Our experience in the spa however was average and expensive, we were rushed in and rushed out which we didn't feel was conducive to relaxation!
They are currently building a huge hotel just outside the Bale, to get to the beach club you have to cross this building site via shuttle. The noise of the building site was not prevalent, but note on the noise side that you are close to the airport, but just like any other hotel in the area.
We really weren't very impressed by Nusa Dua, and even going further afield (Seminyak) wasn't much better. This side of Bali just seemed to be an endless row of shacks and building sites, so for seeing Bali I would recommend going inland or to quieter areas, or just expect to stay in your hotel. We were also told of shopping opportunities, still can't figure out what these opportunities are unless you are into bad fakes and cheap trinkets.
Overall nice hotel, which is good, as you might want to stay there throughout your stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bjm20
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear bjm20

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor, as you well know us as hoteliers and other travelers really appreciate this gesture.

I am first of all very happy that you enjoyed our hotel, its design, especially in the rooms and our Rijstaffel night. Regarding the cooking classes with Made Nadi we are very concious to have a super professor within our team and I have personally passed your compliments to him.

I am sorry that the Spa did not match your expectations, especially in terms of pre and after treatment. We have discussed it with the team, to make sure that we are smooth during these phases.

On my side, it was a true pleasure to have you and your lovely wife at the resort and to be at your service; now I understand Nusa Dua might not be to your taste, but as you rightly say, if you wish a nice and peaceful break The Bale and its family will be there for you.

Thank you again.