“Ultra stylish hideaway”
Review of The Bale

The Bale
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed August 18, 2011

First architect you think of is Frank Lloyd Wright and Fallingwater.

Angular vistas; minimalist style; water trickling over black basalt or flowing through terraced channels; brilliant sunshine on white stone. The cool aesthetic is a treat for the eye, and soothes the spirit after the battle through Bali's twenty four hour traffic jam.
Rooms are huge and elegant: self contained villas really, not your normal hotel box. Vast bathrooms, personal swimming pool, lawns, day beds. (But the smooth terrazo of the bedroom floor is a death trap with wet feet: take care!)

If your idea of a sophisticated night out is to sit at Starbucks in a sterile shopping mall, bombarded by competing and hyper amplified karaoke bands, then Bali Collection is the place to go. There are some decent places to eat, a free shuttle from the hotel while the food at most of the restaurants is OK and not too extortionate - but the noise is unspeakable.

Even the hotel is not guilt free.

When you’re paying £120.00 for a romantic meal beside the floodlit pool it’s a bit of a downer when you can’t hear each other speak over the “background” music. (In fairness I think they had it turned up full volume to mask the noise of pile drivers from the construction site across the road. Second time we ate there it was fine - but still too expensive to be more than an occasional treat. Balinese wine is not yet good, Australian wine doesn’t seem to travel well and both cost a lot. Stick with good local beer.
Yet there’s a difference between overpriced and expensive.

Eating at the hotel is not cheap, but the food and the service are wonderful (as is breakfast by the pool). Stylish nouvelle cuisine, superb ingredients beautifully cooked. Lovely, attentive staff who seem to take a delight in the quality and friendliness of their service without being either deferential or over familiar. Quite a gift.

About half a mile away, the hotel has a small fenced off area on a public beach with about a dozen loungers and access to a café and (perfectly clean) toilets and showers. Worth getting up very early and going down at low tide to watch local families harvest seaweed in the shallows from a network of poles and fences - all of which disappear - along with the people - at high tide.

It feels like the last gasp of a simple and dying lifestyle.

On the landward side of the beach, vast machines gouge sand and rock for the next speculative development which will cover the littoral and mangrove swamps in high rise concrete - and certainly won’t tolerate peasants scraping a living from the seaweed.
Bali is a region of temples and artists: stone, wood, silver, batik, music, dance, legend, surrealistic puppets. Whole villages devoted to a single craft, with skills passed across generations. Yet most Balinese inhabit a different economic universe. Silversmiths (and all the other craftsmen) make exquisite artefacts in musty darkness - and earn pennies while their work increases in value with each step up the distribution chain.

As a visitor you are honoured, watching as a privileged voyeur the last gasps of an overwhelmed culture. Choked by traffic and motor cycles; displaced by gated resorts of first world wealth; threatened by Indonesia’s resurgent and puritanical Islam (the militants don’t only hate the casual hedonism of western visitors soaking up pleasure and sunshine, but also the Buddhist/Hindu syncretism of warm, tolerant Bali).
Catch it while it’s still there. Forget the air conditioned malls, and get into the markets. Feed the local economy. Argue with the stall holders. Play the game. (“Final price: good for me, good for you”). Connect.

Then back to the elegant quiet and falling waters of the Balé. Unbeatable.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front beside the construction site. Other than that all rooms excellent.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lecht01
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Dear Lecht01

Thank you very much for your thorough review about our property and you vision of our beautiful island. I appreciate the time and effort spent on it as will the other readers will do.

Firstly let me apologize for not saying good bye to you, but I got stuck in a meeting.

Secondly I'd like to say that it was a true pleasure to serve you and your lovely wife and also to meet your visiting daughter.

Let me comment on a few points for the readers to get a full picture.

I am presently in Jakarta for a meeting with the architects of The Bale and I have shared with them your comparison with Frank Loyd Wright and they feel very honored of the reference.

You mention the volume of the music in the restaurant being to loud and I have to admit that I have found myself a few times asking my team to put it down as it did not allow for pleasant conversations and I do sincerely apologize about this. Usually, as per your comment, the music is pleasant as the ambiance is. We have changed some of the music and blocked the maximum volume. As mentioned in earlier replies the noise from the construction has stopped at the moment as the major ground breaking work has finished.

Regarding the wines, we have a very low markup at The Bale and the reason why it is so expensive is that there is a 420% tax on wine; picture one bottle of wine at 10GBP costs in Bali 52GBP, ridiculous and I agree. There is nothing we can do there a part lose some of the profit which we are already doing to try and give our guests the occasion to drink come wine.

I note your comments about our culinary team and I have shared them with their respective heads of departments. Thank you from them.

I am really glad that you enjoyed the beach and the beach club; regarding the local life, the inhabitants of Nusa Dua mostly have reconverted into hospitality based jobs, but in the east and north of the island of the gods life is pretty much unchanged. Nevertheless all Balinese share their intense culture and are loyal to their origins and I am confident that this will continue in the decades to come.

One last note about the traffic, although dense it is slightly exaggerated to say that we have a 24h traffic jam. I would say that at peak hours 8-11am and 5-9pm the traffic is very slow moving but outside that it is still more than bearable.

Thank you again for your kind review which is extremely enjoyable to read and gives a good idea of what Bali and The Bale are, a nice oasis to relax in a friendly yet luxurious environment.

I do hope to be able to welcoming you again in our stylish hideaway!

Ciao!

Reviewed August 16, 2011

The service at The Bale is fantastic. Anything and everything you request is done promptly and with a smile. The service staff are great, always remembering your name what all the guests are doing during the day because at dinner the staff would always ask us how the massage/sightseeing/scuba diving etc was.

The grounds are beautiful and the villas are just as beautiful as the pictures make them out to be. It got to the point by the end of our 6 day stay we didnt even want to leave the hotel to go out sightseeing or to do any activities.

The restaurant was the unexpected bonus for us. The food couldn't have been better. Everything from the atmosphere to the food presentation to the flavours was perfect.

Overall this resort is the ultimate relaxation getaway...if you are going to Bali for sightseeing and activities, you may not want to stay here because the resort is so nice you may never want to leave the grounds! If you are going for relaxation, spa and yoga this place is the finest around.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt A
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

Dear Matt

It was a great pleasure to welcome you and your lovely wife.

I was glad to see that you really made the most of the whole Bale experience, booking Yoga on a daily basis, going diving swimming in our main pool.

Thank you for recognizing the thought that was put in designing the property and the efforts made by the staff to make sure everything runs smoothly and with a family feeling.

I have passed your special thanks onto our culinary team who are at the moment in the process of changing the lunch menu and giving it a bit more diversity keeping it very fresh and simple.

I would love to welcome you back for your next visit to the Island of the Gods.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We had a short window to escape the Australian winter - we found The Bale website and it ticked all our boxes. We wanted somewhere away from the hustle and bustle of Bali. Somewhere we could immediately relax and switch off from work. That's exactly what happened when we arrived on that Wednesday afternoon. Met by the friendliest staff, we loved our room and pool villa. We bunkered down and enjoyed what The Bale had on offer. Amazing, fresh, healthy food; peace and quiet; time to re-invigorate. We had breakfast in our room each day; ate at the restaurant by night, after a cocktail or two poolside. Had the brilliant coffee themed massage (try it). And, on the last day, ventured out to the Bale's beach club. An amazing oasis, loved the design of the hotel. We bedgrudingly left four days later, feeling like we had been on a month long holiday. Thank you to Michele and the very kind staff at The Bale. See you soon.

1  Thank Markus M
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2011

Dear Paul and Markus

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our property.

As discussed on your last night I am really happy that The Bale family was able to deliver what you came here for: relaxation and a break away from winter and stress from work.
Ayu and her team at the spa thank you for your recommendation of the coffee ritual, as well as Attila and the culinary team for noticing the hard work they put in day in day out to deliver amazing food throughout the three meals of the day.

It was a true pleasure to be able to spend some time with you and I look forward to your next stay.

Don't hesitate to contact me personally for your future visits.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

This small hotel (only 37 villas) is the perfect "love nest" for honeymoomers. All rooms, in fact isolated villas, has their own swimming pool an nobody can see you feom outside. Very big beds, two showers (one inside the bungalow, one outside near the pool), essential oil and bath salt, soft drinks at minibar... All complimentary. If you want, you can take your breakfast or dinner at your own pavilion. All for a deluxe stay.

• Stayed: August 2011

Dear Xavier1714

Thank you fro your review.

I am really proud that you enjoyed your stay with us and consequently took the time to recommend s on TripAdvisor.

Just to rectify The Bale has only 27 pool villas. As yo mentioned the Deluxe Single Pavilion is indeed a good deal if you look at all the inclusions you get with it.

Thank you again and hopefully see you soon!

Ciao!

Reviewed August 12, 2011

We spent 6 amazing nights for our honeymoon at the Bale, and we loved every minute of it. The food was excellent, with a special mention for breakfasts which were amazing, our villa was very contemporary and extremely luxurious (it was a deluxe single pavilion with views on the golf), and the staff extremely friendly. It was utter relaxation. There are plenty of things to do, shopping in Seminyak, dinner in Jimbaran, spending time at the spa, enjoying a cocktail near the pool, or just playing golf at the Nusa Dua golf club which is a 2 minute drive away. The hotel staff are very helpful for organising everything for you.

As for the noise from the construction site, it is undeniable that the building works are a bit noisy when you are in the lobby of the hotel but once you are in your room, you can't hear a thing, and we have rarely slept that well. so it shouldn't discourage people from staying at the Bale.

Dear Oscarhara

Thank yo for our kind review. It was a true pleasure meeting you and your husband during your stay with us. I do hope you are well settled back in London.

I am glad that we could be a pleasant part of your honeymoon and that you enjoyed your time with us in the south.

As you mentioned the staff are such an important part of The Bale experience and I am happy that you did notice that.

Regarding the noise from the works across the road they have now diminished considerably as the heavy machinery working when you were here has finished breaking the ground and now it is merely construction which does not cause any disturbance, for which we are very glad.

I thank you again and look forward to welcoming you back at the Bale in the future.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I write my first review here, just because I want to share my wonderful experience in such an excellent resort.

Before Arrival
My 3-night stay at the Bale was not only for leisure, but also for my pre-wedding photo shooting with my fiancée. After I have confirmed my hotel with my travel agent, I sent email to the hotel and ask for some detailed arrangement. However, I cannot receive reply from the hotel. This made me worried on the service. After a couple of days, I sent the second email and I this time I had a good answer on my request – an express pressing service on my clothes for the pre-wedding photo shooting.

Arrival & Check in
Our flight arrived on time and hotel staff was waiting us outside the lobby. Fresh water and tower were prepared. When we arrived the hotel, our butler was waiting at the entrance. Check in the villa was smooth and they remembered my request.

Villa
We had an enjoyable stay in the Deluxe Single Pavilion. The area was huge with a beautiful landscaped garden, daybed and swimming pool. The design was modern and it was clean. The architecture, soft and hard landscape are excellent. The bed was huge and comfortable. There’s a CD playing traditional Bali music, my fiancée love that much.

Service is excellent. The staffs are friendly with slime, and trying their very best to help you. While I share the view of other reviewer said that the butler is not very “personal” as I didn’t saw him much after the first night, the other staffs are also nice. There was some problem for the wifi connection at the first night. I met the GM on the 2nd day and mentioned about this. They react quickly and solved the problem. The GM met me the day after and he also asked whether the problem was fixed, which impressed me again.

Most people stayed in the villa for breakfast. You can eat all items in the menu and they will make for you. It’s much better than buffets in typical hotels, and food were tasty too!! However, you can also enjoy the breakfast in the Face Restaurant and I found that the menu was slightly different. You will feel relax to enjoy the pool view there. Staffs were nice and willing to talk with you. So you can make your choices between privacy and chat with staffs. The food quality was outstanding, we enjoyed the food in the restaurant including breads, snacks and also seafood. Cookies were provided in the villa and we ate much!

Beach
As many reviewer said the beach is not as good as expected, so I have no expectation. There are construction works on the way to the beach, so you should ask the car from the hotel. It takes only 5 minutes. It is a public beach and a corner was designed for the hotel guesses. It’s not bad to enjoy the sunshine but I think it’s not always good for swimming there. There are some restaurants facing the beach and the price was much lower than in the hotel. Of cause, you cannot expect the food quality reaches the standard of the restaurant in the hotel.

Spa & Facilities
We had 3-hours massage treatment during our stay, which was free for guesses staying in Deluxe Single Pavilion. The environment was relaxing and the quality is also good. Although my fiancée said the press was too hard, I think it’s not hard enough! I understand it’s too difficult to please everyone and I have no compliant. The Bale is not a large hotel and provided limited facilities, but I think it’s good enough for those wanna stay in the villa and enjoy. There are free wifi in the resort and also internet connection in the Library.

Construction Noise
There are some construction activities outside the villa. When you staying in the villa in the daytime, you may hear these noises and it may affecting your holiday mood if you just want relaxing in the hotel. I understand it’s out of the hotel’s control, what they can do is to arrange us to somewhere not that close to the construction site. They also compensated for this.

To conclude, the Bale is a place for relaxation and escape. You can enjoy the sunlight and good services there. We enjoyed the stay much and highly recommended this hotel!

Room Tip: Deluxe Single Pavilion is a good deal!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelvin_Chan
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Dear Kelvin Chan

Thank you so much for this beautiful and thorough review. I and The Bale family are really proud and happy to have been able to provide you and your fiance such a good experience.

Let me comment and on the points of your review;

I am sorry that on your first email my reservations officers did not get back to you promptly, it is quite unusual as they are very thorough with their jobs and reply to all emails within 24h. I am glad that you took the time to write back to us and that the ladies in reservations rectified their mistake.

Thank you for noticing our efforts to deliver an enjoyable arrival and check in experience. We pride ourselves to deliver high quality service in a relaxed yet professional manner, our hospitality from the heart. I try, as much as I can, to spend a maximum amount of time with my guests to make sure that all needs, requests are met timely and also that if something goes wrong we can rectify it during the stay instead of simply not delivering proper service and having guest leaving with a bad memory.

I have passed your compliments onto our culinary team. As you well pointed out all meals at The Bale are served a la carte including breakfast as quality is definitely something we do not wish to compromise and I believe it also help us differentiates us from our competitors.

Our beach club is an area reserved for hotel guests and we provide towels, water, sunscreen, body mist and body lotion. We do have an agreement with the local restaurant there which allows you to eat there and put the bill on your hotel room which is quite convenient as yo do no need to carry anything when going to the beach.

Our spa therapists are all certified and trained to the Indonesian Spa Association standards and most of them have been with The Bale family since the beginning. I am sorry that your fiancee found the pressure too hard as normally the therapists should inquire about that after a few minutes into the treatment and adjust to your likings. Please accept my apologies on this matter.

As you mentioned there is a construction site near the resort and in the past the noise could disturb our guests sporadically. Luckily the ground breaking phase has now finished and the works are focusing on raising the main buildings which doe snot cause any disturbance to The Bale guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to give your opinion on TripAdvisor and should you wish to return to The Bale we will be more than happy to welcome you back a a married couple, maybe for your honeymoon?

Reviewed August 6, 2011

If you are looking for a perfect zen spot for a special vacation, then this hotel should come up high on your list. The hotel is elegant and minimalist in design, with great use of space, light and water. All-in-all very restful. Our room was also perfect - you'll enjoy the private pool and the day bed. Service at the hotel is quite excellent - the GM, Michele, runs a very tight ship, and gives both personable and personal attention to his guests. Attila the head chef also deserves a mention - every evening a friendly greeting and a chat about food. The staff members are attentive and friendly - Kadek and Sriani are two of the hotel's assets!

If you are a beach lover, then you may be disappointed, as there is quite extensive construction work going on across from the hotel. When you first arrive at The Bale, this can be a bit of a disappointment. We were given a room on the far side of the complex, and the disruption from building noise was minimal. However, the building works, including dumper trucks dropping off rubble is next to the Beach Club. We ended up spending about 10 minutes there.

In short, The Bale was truly luxurious, with excellent service, great cuisine and a tranquil environment. We found it quite hard to leave....

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

Dear JB_Netherlands

Thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure meeting you both and I am glad you had a good and relaxing time.

It is always a pleasure and pride for me and my team to take good personal care of the guests staying with us at The Bale.

I have also the great pleasure to let you know that the heavy machinery which was causing some noise at some stages have stopped working and have been relocated to the top of the hill where they do not disturb the guests staying with us. With regards to the beach also the works there have slowed down causing much less noise.

I have also passed the message to the two ladies that you mention in your review.

I do hope to see you again in the future.

PS. Attila also says hi!