“Good stay - small improvement areas”
Review of Grand Hyatt Bali

Grand Hyatt Bali
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Seattle, Washington
“Good stay - small improvement areas”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Overall a very good stay so far - came in during the peak high season of Chinese New Year in Feb 2014. Stayed in a Suite in the Grand Club wing (East Village). The hotel has one of the most beautiful grounds with many ponds filled with fish and perfectly manicured trees and shrubs. 99% of the staff we encountered are very friendly and polite. The services by the staff at the Grand Club is great despite 100% full house this week.

A few suggestions for improvement:

1) Grand Club seating covers are a bit dirty (should try and change out more often)
2) Grand Club probably due to full capacity, the staff have a hard time to keep the food area neat (too many kids unsupervised by parents at the food stations thus creating a mess)
3) The rooms is showing some wear (can touch up here and there such as the door frames etc..), but overall still maintained pretty good for a remodel from 2009

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GrandHyattBali, Manager at Grand Hyatt Bali, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear dshih

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Bali.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that despite the hotel being full, service exceeded your expectations. We take pride in keeping our gardens well maintained and are happy you felt it enhanced your stay.

We appreciate your comments regarding areas of improvement, and please rest assured that the issues have been communicated and addressed accordingly. Chinese New Year is indeed a very busy time for us with mostly families, and outlets can at times get quite busy, especially during peak hours.

dshih, once again thank you for your support of Grand Hyatt Bali. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

In the meantime, if we may be of further assistance, please do contact us directly.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Just back after spending 3 weeks at the Grand Hyatt. The room was lovely - bed extremely comfortable, great shower and the walk in wardrobe was a real plus. We overlooked a beautiful pool and visitors to our balcony included purple and night herons and great white egrets! We love nature. so the gardens and trees were ideal for watching the birds, monitor lizards and the very tame squirrels. We didnt eat in the resort, as the restaurants were quite expensive, but breakfasts were included for us, so we didnt miss out on the wide range of choice every morning. The Danish pastries were incredible. Finally, a word about the staff - EXCELLENT..

Room Tip: West and South Village nice, as there are several lovely pools
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Anna992014

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Bali.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the room comfortable and the breakfast of high quality and great variety. We consistently analyze the pricing structure in the market to ensure we are in line with our competitors, offering value for money in our restaurants.

The wildlife at Grand Hyatt Bali is a staple and something we are very proud of. We are happy you enjoyed it and felt it enhanced your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for your support of Grand Hyatt Bali. We look mforward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Grand Hyatt Bali and had an amazing time there.

Great selection of restaurants, very nice beach & pools, small water slide plus a very cool long water slide. The staff were very friendly and because we had a Club Room we had use of the Grand Club which was very enjoyable every evening and the kids loved feeding the fish, birds and salamanders.

We were also pleasantly surprised when we got the bill when checking out. Very reasonable considering we had lunch and dinner every day and only once ate out at the Bali Collection (a short walk from the resort).

Highly recommend staying at the Grand Hyatt!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Khanage77
Dear Khanage77

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Bali.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that that you found the rooms, pools and restaurants of high quality and at reasonable in price.

Once again, thank you for your support of Grand Hyatt Bali. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

In the meantime, if we may be of further assistance, please contact us driectly.

Carlsbad, California
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This will probably be considered an unusual review in that I did not stay at the Grand Hyatt Bali, I just stopped by for lunch in their poolside restaurant, the Salsa Bar and Grill. Earlier in the day I had taken a walk through the lava fields at the end of the peninsula and had fallen and scrapped my leg. I was bleeding some, but was not seriously injured. When I entered the restaurant to have lunch, the staff came to my rescue and offered first aid. I was truly impressed with the care and attention they paid to me even though they knew I was not a guest at the hotel. Now, on to the meal service...I chose a lunch of the catch of the day and a mojito. The fish was delicious and the mojito was delightful. The wait staff was very attentive and made me feel as if I was their most important guest. On a return trip to Bali, I will put the Grand Hyatt Bali at the top of the list of hotel choices. Thank you for your wonderful service and caring about an injured traveler.

Room Tip: The poolside restaurant has a great atmosphere and the food is very good.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Greg2951
GrandHyattBali, Manager at Grand Hyatt Bali, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Greg2951

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Bali.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our resort. I was pleased to read that we were able to provide you medical assistance while visiting Slasa Verde, our Italian restaurant. I do hope you have recovered from the injury. Furthermore I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your lunch and that service exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Island of the Gods and thank you for considering Grand Hyatt Bali as your prefered resort of choice on your next visit.

In the meantime, if we can be of further assistance, please do contact us directly.

Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Hello i stayed at the Grand Hyatt Bali almost after 3 yrs, but should admit that the service has deteriorated. Though i booked through my passport points, i was never told at any point of time that breakfast is chargeable, next at the room - couldnt believe when the WC seat was not fixed well, and not fixed even after 2 days. House keeping to my surprise was also an issue. the coffee mug left at the balcony table was not cleared for 2 days until my check out - very strange that this happens at Hyatt, i have stayed at Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt, Goa and its outstanding service.
and finally on the breakfast, the spread was good but the quality was a disaster. I ever wonder if any management from Hyatt would have visited this hotel for breakfast and have had some fresh fruits. i would request you to try it

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GrandHyattBali, Manager at Grand Hyatt Bali, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Ddkexpo

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Bali.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to learn about the shortfalls you experienced during your stay. We treat your comments very serious and please rest assured the highlighted issues have been addressed for improvement. We take great pride in our food and beverage operation here at the resort and spend significant time in ensuring quality and variety is of the highest standard. I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and would like to offer my sincere apologies.

Ddkexpo, once again thank you for your support of Grand Hyatt Bali. We look forward to be able to welcome you back again in the future in order for us to endeavor to deliver the service you rightly expect and deserve.

In the meantime, if we can be of further assistance, please contact us directly.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed two weeks here for our honeymoon and loved it. I especially loved the beautiful gardens and water features around the grounds. Rooms are nice and very clean, food in restaurants was really good albeit a little pricey and service was absolutely faultless throughout. The down side, and I'm nit picking really, is the beach - unlike many of the beachfront hotels the Grand Hyatt has no parasols (which when youre as white as I am, is not a good thing!), few sunloungers and no-beach bar.
That being said, I would return for another stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Niwc
Dear Niwc

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Bali.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time at the resort and that room cleanliness, food and beverage and service levels exceeded your expectations.

Whilst we don't offer a beach bar, we do provide food and beverage service on the beach and from our 'Drinks on Wheels' buggy that patrols the beachwalk throughout the day. As you correctly observed, we do not provide parasols on the beach however most guests utilize our sun loungers under the trees when looking for shade. We shall review the number of loungers based on your feedback.

Niwc, once again thank you for your support of Grand Hyatt Bali. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed here six nights over the Christmas holiday period and were delighted that the experience was as restful/memorable/enjoyable as in decades past (i.e. we used to stay here prior to building a home on the west coast of Bali in the late 90s, and then have stayed at the Bali Hyatt over the years prior to their closing for re-building the next 2-3 years; this year we decided to spoil ourselves with a few nights at the Grand Hyatt; we were not disappointed as the resort remains a stunning, sublime and peaceful escape).

It is true that the resort is over 20 years old (with renovations done in 2009 I believe) and several of the facades throughout the property a bit weathered, but as experienced travelers in luxury resorts in Bali, we find most properties have similar issues when along the sea/ocean front and to us, it simply adds to the charm of a well established, traditional five-star tropical resort.

We stayed in an ocean view Club Room, over-looking the private Club pool which was just lovely. The room interiors were up to Grand Hyatt standards (large, airy and luxurious) and the balcony extremely comfortable to read, enjoy the ocean view sunsets and sip cocktails. The one downside of even an Ocean View Club Room that overlooks the pool is that despite being a restricted and private Club pool, there are more and more children with access so it becomes rather hard to enjoy any "quiet" time on the balcony until after 5pm when the pool area starts to empty (everyone heading for cocktail/canapé hours at the Club or heading out for dinner....); this of course is not the hotel's fault, and is surely appreciated by those who stay in Club rooms with families, but for many of us an adult-only pool would also be extremely appreciated (especially as there are other pools on the property that are specifically geared toward children/families).

The hotel grounds are beautiful, lush and a pleasure to walk in. It can be quite a trek from lobby to Club Rooms but we saw that the staff was fantastic at using electric golf carts to assist those in need of on-site transport (as well as delivering luggage to/from the room). The gym is excellent (also with a private pool so during prime noisy Club pool hours, we were able to enjoy this pool in peace after our daily work out). The gym cardio machines have t.v. and ear phones are provided (a good gym is a priority for us).

We used the Club Lounge daily for breakfast, ice tea/coffee in the afternoon and for cocktails/canapés. It's a beautiful setting over a very large lotus pond, with an area for smokers/non-smokers. Once again, it would be fantastic if there was an adult-only section (although there were fewer children in the smoking section--my husband smokes so this section worked out well for both of us) but overall the lounge is sufficiently large to usually find a more quiet table, and families tended to congregate in a larger area with sofas (with lawn access to feed the various wildlife that also visit the lounge daily). I must admit I spent a much longer time gazing at the various birds/reptiles/fish than getting emails/work done and it was a joy to watch guests of all ages doing the same. When available, the fabulous Club staff provides baskets of old/leftover bread to break up and feed the huge stock of koi fish, a few ducks, monitor lizards, etc.

Side note: There are a few resident gold and blue herons (a couple of them in the lobby pond, one near the pond/bridge near the Japanese restaurant and 2-3 of them at the Club Lounge) which is one of the few bird species that use tools to hunt for food and it's a special joy/experience to help them fish! If you throw bread into the water, fish/ducks/monitor lizards will gobble down the bread, but if you throw bread near the herons, they will not eat the bread themselves but stand (if sufficiently shallow water) next to the bread to wait for small fish to come up to nibble on the bread--they then swoop their beaks into the water to fish. I spent countless hours in the Club Lounge throwing bread pieces in front of whatever heron came to visit (usually in the smoking section corner of the Club--on a dry surface so that the bird could pick up the bread in its beak, jump onto a chosen perch over the water and dip the bread into the water as bait (see attached photos). Fascinating and very special!

All of the food/drink at the Club was ample, tasty and up to GH standards. True, the service was a bit slow over the Xmas holidays, but we actually arrived a couple of days before the busiest period and the service was spot on, efficient and always with a smile; the few times we had to wait for coffee/drinks at peak service periods, we simply called one of the staff over and mentioned our wait and we were served soon after. The staff was also excellent at dealing with unsupervised children running around the place; as with most S.E. Asian cultures, the Balinese do not like to be confrontational but this well seasoned staff had no difficulty in telling children to stop running or stop yelling, etc.; as for the child mentioned in an earlier review that fell in the fishpond--much like running/screaming children, my question is always "where were/are the parents?"! (I already wrote a letter to the GH room manager mentioning the superb service by the Club and specific restaurants' staff.)

We ate five of the six nights in the hotel (the first night we took a stroll outside the hotel and decided to try the Japanese restaurant directly across the street called Matsuri as we planned to eat in the hotel the rest of our stay....huge mistake. The food was abysmal, hygienically questionable and for certain dishes even more expensive than the GH's Japanese restaurant. Do not eat at this restaurant!). In total, we ate three times in the hotel's Nampu Japanese restaurant, once at the Italian Restaurant Salsa Verde and once at the Italian Salsa Bar; all were excellent and quite reasonable for both food and beverage.

At the Nampu restaurant we chose the ala carte dining area (a Tepanyaki area was obviously quite popular for those who enjoy group dining around a shared Tepanyaki grill; we preferred a more quiet setting in the larger rustic dining area). The service was impeccable and the food fabulous (we lived in Tokyo for seven years and Japanese food is by far our favorite...and we're quite picky); we enjoyed it so much that we ate at Nampu three times with entirely different menu choices each meal. We were also surprised at how reasonably priced the bottles of sake were!

Our meal at Salsa Verde was very good and fresh. Alas, full of children (as relatively near the pool) but we finished quickly and headed back to our room (now after sunset so the Club pool empty) for a glass of wine on our beautiful balcony. Our last night at the GH was also our wedding anniversary (we had our wedding party 17 years earlier at the Bali Hyatt....) and we were utterly spoiled by the Salsa Bar staff and manager. I didn't even know the upstairs bar existed (a staircase up from the Salsa Verde Restaurant) but because I sent a pre-visit email request for a more private celebration, we were given a beautiful sofa/table for two in this Bar area, which is a very intimate, secluded setting with a stunning sunset view. We had an excellent meal and some special extras from the staff which was truly appreciated; a perfect end to an overall perfect stay. Looking forward to our next trip in April!

It is true that the Bali Connection is right across the street from the hotel, so great for souvenir shopping and perhaps cheaper dining, but we found the prices at the hotel extremely reasonable for a Grand Hyatt anywhere so why bother with questionable outside dining quality when the hotel's F&B is at such a high standard in comparison....

Room Tip: Ocean View and highest floor (only four stories) always nicest. Choose room depending if you want po...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Asiaexpat81
Dear Asiaexpat81

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Bali.

Thank you very much for your thorough and detailed review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. It is comments for seasoned revellers such as yourself that help us improve and fine tune our service and product delivery here at the resort.

Your comments and recommendations are well noted and will be shared with the Leadership team accordingly.

Asiaexpat81, Once again, thank you for your support of Grand Hyatt Bali, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.