The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, Bali
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Beautiful Westin resort, lovely grounds and pool, incredible breakfast buffet, lovely lovely service.

But don't think you will experience Bali here. Lying on this beach, you could be in one of: Cancun, Bahamas, Trinidad, Bermuda, Aruba.... In short this is a vanilla resort where you won't feel an ounce of the. Balinese culture you travel so far to get.

Granted some people don't want or need this if they live fairly close (Australia, NZ, Singapore etc).

But if you're traveling from North America or Europe, don't plan to spend more than two days here or you will miss out on what Bali has to offer.

The sister property, Laguna, next door at least has a more Balinese feel.

Stayed: July 2014
TheWestinBali, Hotel Management at The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Sandi M. Thank you again for taking your time to share your recent stay experience with us. It is a pleasure to hear that had an enjoyable stay with us and to complement our service and facilities. We consider your kind feedback in regards to Balinese ambiance at the resort is very valuable and we will take a note on it for future improvement. We really appreciate your kind feedback and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (2,538)

Reviewed July 17, 2014

There is something special about the weekend, at least for me. I always have the urge to plan my weekends. Of course, what people do on the weekends differs from person to person. Some simply want to sink into bed and hibernate until Monday has come again; others want to be up and active, spending every waking moment on their feet. Others find a halfway point and find a time and place to relax and reflect, to be aware of the peace around them. Some, of course, set themselves on an adventure, hunting for Bali’s best food – satiating every craving that has grown over the weekdays.

I, did all the above.

I went to Bali’s southern peninsula and book myself into The Westin Resort Nusa Dua for 2 nights, starting Friday. I chose their new extension building or as they call it the Premium Wing.

The Westin Resort may emit, at first, a formal or business-like atmosphere, but don’t be fooled you weekend-worshippers, Westin’s all around the world endeavor to place weekends on a pedestal. Once you’re there, clear your schedule and simply surrender yourself.

The Westin Nusa Dua lobby has lulled me into a relaxed mood already as I smelled the scent of their white-tea aromatherapy candles and their specially chosen background music. In my room, a bathrobe is already laid on the bed, decorated with small butterfly adornments. On top sits a cocktail recipe, which changes every week.

I took a dip in the ergonomic bathtub with bath salt infused warm water, soaking the week’s pains and sores away. I settled into the soft bathrobe provided and begin to feel ‘peckish’. I spot the special weekend menu and order room service, how lovely that I didn’t even have to leave the room. Grabbing the TV remote you jump into the 3rd generation of the famous Heavenly Bed - which you can actually purchase for your home at westinstore.com – eating and watching in bed.

In the morning, the beauty of the Nusa Dua sunrise has waited, motivating me to get up and made my way to the beach. Sitting on their cocoon beds, I watched the orange sun rising, its reflection glistening over the calm morning waters – there’s no better way to start the day.

The day ahead looks bright and sunny, perfect for exploring the Nusa Dua coastline. Luckily, the resort provides bicycles for guests and so I hopped on one and take a leisurely ride as my morning exercise.

All that cycling has made me hungry. I head back to the resort and spoil my belly on the vast breakfast spread on offer.

The Westin pool is spacious and relatively deep, more than 2 meters at maximum depth. Soaking in seawater without having to go to the sea is also made possible with the salt-water pool available not far from the main pool. The Premium Wing dwellers can enjoy the exclusive access to the pool at the new wing.

The day has been quite active so far, with the sunrise start, cycling and swimming. The mind, body and spirit are in need of some pampering. Westin’s The Heavenly Spa, country winner of the 2014 World Luxury Spa Awards, will surely see to that. The Heavenly Spa’s façade is simple and modest and doesn’t quite represent the grandeur that awaits inside.

The lobby of the spa is sleek and modern, very Westin style. A giant wall – which is actually a door – in the middle of the lobby is adorned with modern-contemporary artwork. What lies behind it is an out-of-this-world sanctuary inspired by the legendary love story of Layonsari. Opening the door, you are mesmerized by the corridor covered with satin cloth on the ceiling and the walls. Lights under the pathway will lead to the treatment rooms and relaxation lounge. The doors on each side of this sumptuous corridor have a conch shell lit with a candle-like lamp to mark an occupied room.

The thermal facilities will be the preparation area before the treatment begins. The area encompasses a hydro pool, a Himalayan salt sauna and a steam room. All of these three will maximize the spa experience itself.
A hooded bathrobe is provided in the locker. The hood can be used as a sign of ‘do not disturb’ to the staff, so that you can enjoy full privacy if you so desire. The sumptuous services and treatments paired with high-quality ingredients will be the perfect closing, to the perfect Saturday.

On Sunday I decided to make the most of the facilities. With the rentable Westin Gear Lending (sports clothing rental for $5 per stay) there is a number of sporting options, from the gym, to some ping-pong or even some poolside badminton!

I jumped at one of the swimming pools once more, one I haven’t tried yet! Some nearby staff informed me that once I checked out I can still enjoy the hotel’s facilities and that The Living Room is at your disposal. This air-conditioned lounge boasts couches, Internet service and shower rooms, which allows guests to spend more time – and swim some more - until their departure time. So I swam some more.

No longer fearing a rushed weekend-withdrawal, I decided to enjoy a Sunday brunch at Prego. This Italian ‘fun-dining’ venue offers monthly theme brunches for an amusing dining experience.

With a full stomach realized that the weekend has finally come to an end. The Westin’s indulgence however, will lasts.

Room Tip: The Garden View Room at The Premium Wing
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank the-travelo

Dear The-travelo. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us comprehensively. We are really happy to hear that we were able to deliver the highest quality service to make your stay memorable. It also makes us delighted to note that you were pleased with our award winning Heavenly Spa by Westin™. It is our sincere desire to bring renewal experiences and respond instinctively to the needs of our valuable guests on a personal level. We will share your great experience to our team as they will be delighted to have enhanced your stay. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again at the resort for another memorable and relaxing experience.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Originally booked 7 night stay through Agent with a No Cancellation, No Changes policy, however due to unforeseen circumstances I needed to change the dates by a week. The hotel thankfully agreed to this with no penalty and kept rate the same, even though it was now school holidays. By now I was dealing directly with the Hotel via email. The Reservation staff were outstanding and could not have been more helpful, arranging airport transfers, VIP Fast Track through Customs/Immigration/Baggage (thoroughly recommend this), reservation of beach Dream Beds, particular items in room etc. We stayed for 7 nights in 2 x interconnecting rooms, which were guaranteed to be interconnecting, unlike most hotels who say"on request, no guarantee", in Deluxe Garden View rooms. The rooms had tiny balconies, just big enough to stand and view the grounds and gardens which are immaculate, although many other rooms had larger balconies if this was important. The bathrooms are amazing, so big, with lots of light from the floor-to-ceiling glass walls in the bath/shower area. Huge bath with open bali-style shower. Separate large area for wardrobe, safe, luggage storage. Very comfortable beds and pillows, good size flatscreen TV. Room amenities fairly standard, although most 5 star hotels have coffee-pod machine, unfortunately these didn't, only instant sachets. Didn't use the restaurants but plenty of room service, which was excellent..prompt, friendly, efficient, and the food - so delicious, especially the steaks which were soooo tender! Used the spa twice, out-of-this world, magnificent set-up, with sensational after-treatment relaxation area, serving ginger lemon tea, nuts, strawberries and dark chocolate. Relaxed on the private beach each day, very peaceful, clean, great shallow water for kids; kayaks, paddle boards etc available for hire; amazing "Dream Beds", coccoons, and sunlounges, complementary drink offered occasionally. Although we reserved Dream Bed for 3 days, there was never a problem getting a sunlounge. The hawkers are registered and inconspicuous and no bother at all. Nice to buy a sarong and trinkets without being hassled. 10 minute walk to Bali Collection Shopping Centre, or 2 min in taxi (25,000rupiah), or free hourly shuttle, where there are lots of shops and restaurants/cafes. Nusa Dua is a gated precinct and we felt very safe and protected at all times, about 15 mins from airport over new bridge, and far away from the hussle and bussle of Kuta. They have a complimentary "Departure Lounge" a large room where you can hangout after you've checked out, awaiting a later flight, which was really good idea. They have toilets, showers, lounges, tv's. water. Would be even better if had a coffee and snack machine, even if you had to pay for it. We were allowed a late 2pm checkout without charge which was very much appreciated. Every staff member we had dealings with were friendly, efficient, and made us feel very important. Loved our stay here and would definitely, definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on 5th floor in old wing, very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen C

Dear Karen C. Thank you so much for taking your time to share your recent experience with us. We are really happy to hear that you are pleased with our reservation service delivery and impressed with the quality and comfort of our service and facilities. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I have stayed at The Westin Resort Nusa Dua many times and each time I came, the resort still impressed me like the first time. It is like coming home where you know everything will be taken care of for you. In no time, you will be in your spacious room in the new wing with a Heavenly Bed waiting for you. It is not a big resort but you can find what you need in there with all five-star facility and services provided. IKAN, the restaurant by the beach, is my favorite place to just relax and have a lunch. Try the Heavenly Spa to have out of the world spa treatements! I surely will be back to The Westin Nusa Dua Bali whenever life will take me there.

Room Tip: The new wing is quieter and more spacious
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
TheWestinBali, Hotel Management at The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Imanhidajat. Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your valuable experiences. It is always a pleasure to have you stay with us regularly, and to know that you had such a good time and impressed with the quality and comfort of our service and facilities especially our Westin Heavenly Bed®, Ikan restaurant and our award winning Heavenly Spa by Westin™. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

My wife and child (aged 3) stayed here for 7 nights. Beautiful resort with fantastic facilities. The pools were great with plenty of sun lounges available. Used the gym a few times which was also well equipped.
The room was perfect with massive king bed, couch, plenty of storage space and beautiful bathroom. Breakfast was a great spread with plenty of choices.
On our 4th night we were disturbed with noise from large wedding guests, was asked to be moved and was upgraded to premium room with free wifi for the remainder of our stay. Just demonstrate great service provided.
Overall great resort highly recommended.
Just one thing though for a 5 star hotel free wifi should be provided in room.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mcao77

Dear Mcao77. Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your valuable experiences. We are so delighted to hear that you and your little one have a great time with us enjoying the service and facilities especially the pools and the WestinWORKOUT® Fitness Studio. We consider your feedback very valuable and will take your comments into account when we are reviewing our internet policy for the future. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in a garden terrace room. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the incredible staff at the Westin made our stay incredible. The rooms are spacious and very well appointed - heavenly beds and pillows indeed. Without a doubt one of the most comfortable beds/pillows I have had the pleasure to sleep on. The wardrobe/luggage storage area is a great idea - gets the cases out of sight. The bathrooms are amazing and really well thought out. Having the extra room out on the terrace was a bonus. The pool areas were roomy and there were plenty of sunbeds. There was also the beach area to choose from. The included breakfasts were incredible with excellent service in a large restaurant. As school holidays were upon us, the hotel opened up another restaurant for breakfast and as a result there was no overcrowding at all. I was really impressed with the efficiency and friendliness of the restaurant staff. We participated in happy hour and dined in two resaurants during our stay - both of them served excellent meals. There are various free shuttles to Beachwalk (Kuta), Bali Collection and Bali Galleria that run several times a day. However having just spent a week in Seminyak we wanted peace and quiet so did not use these services. We received an invitation to a complimentary afteroon tea which was a lovely touch. Any requests from the front desk staff were attended to immediately and with genuine friendliness. This is a hotel with seriously excellent staff. It was a pleasure to stay here and I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the extra outdoor room that the Garden Terrace room had
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear BatyPerthWA. Thank you for your kind impression of our resort and associates, I will certainly share it with the team. We are really happy to note that you overall had a great experience from arrival to departure and that you enjoyed the comfort of our Westin Heavenly Bed®. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again at the resort for another memorable and relaxing experience.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

During my first visit to Bali last year, my driver had recommended that we stay in Nusa Dua for our next trip. So, after staying in Ubud, Seminyak last year, I returned to Ubud again (see my review for the Warwick Ibah Hotel) for this trip. But after spending 3 nights in Ubud, our hotel's driver had drove us safely to the Westin Nusa Dua, where we spend our last night 3 nights in Bali.

I had booked with Booking.com on a non-refundable basis but alas, closer to my departure date and realised that Westin is having another round of discounts. Well, I then bucked up my courage and asked for a small upgrade to the new Premier rooms. Our original room was a Deluxe Pool view. So, its just a small upgrade I guess.

What disappoints me at first was, we were allocated a 2nd floor room (the lowest for the new Premier Building as there are no first floor units) that faces the carpark area of the Bali Convention Centre. In the day, the sounds of passing cars was audible but during the nights, it was all quiet for a good nights of sleep.

Coming from a Villa in the Warwich Ibah Hotel, we were also slightly disappointed with the Premier room size but being humans, we adapted to it well and soon found it to be rather spacious (40-45 sqm?) and well designed. Our room 2036 has the requested Twin beds (heavenly indeed!) but the choice of pillows offered is not that good for neck support I must say.

The small walk in closet with iron, safe and storage was my mum's favourite feature! She also liked the balcony with a chair and a table (good size) but it faces the entrance to the Westin, so nothing to write home about. The TV has all the usual satellite channels, including Singapore's Channel Newsasia, nice!

The bathroom was a very good size, with a gigantic shower area (too big) and a standalone tub (quite nice and very modern). There were also tea and coffee making facilities, and 4 bottles of mineral water in the room. However, unlike the previous hotel where we stayed, there was no fruit basket in the room.

The new pool near the Premier building is good for laps and very beautiful in a modern way. Opened at 7am daily, I was the only one who patronizes it almost daily at 7am sharp - bliss! The other bigger but older pool is near the beach, a good 5-7 minutes walk away. Be sure to get to the beach early for gorgeous sunrises (witnessed by my mum as I was swimming ..).

Overall, for the Nusa Dua area, we thought the Westin with its reasonable room rates is a good choice and a rather safe bet. But in terms of Balinese beauty, the Westin pales in comparison to its neighbouring sister hotel, the Laguna, as well as, to the Nusa Dua Beach Resort. Take for instance, nothing in the Westin's huge lobby area (other than the waterfall at one end of the lobby) reminds you that you are in Bali.

Other niggles of staying here are actually quite many -
1. that the internal sound proofing of the Hotel is not good at all! When someone presses the door bell of your neighbouring room, you could hear it so well so much so that you thought that someone is pressing your bell!
2. that the food and beverage charges in the Westin is really too high. We dined twice at the next door Nusa Dua beach resort's award winning, Raja's Restuarant and the Chess lounge by the beach - both yummy at great value!
3. that this 5 star resort hotel does not offer free Wifi in their rooms is totally unacceptable at this present day and time! So free Wifi is only available in the two lobby areas.
4. breakfasts is a whopping 185K per person. Wanted to give it a try but after walking round The Verandah restaurant, decided to give it a miss ...
5. even the Westin Kechak Dinner & Dance is so expensive ... again the Nusa Dua beach resort next door is much cheaper (but only on Mondays & Wednesdays I think).

Overall, we did enjoy ourselves while staying at the Westin. Recommend to watch the Devdan show nearby the Bali Collection, take a 25 minutes (10-11K) taxi ride to Kuta for more nice food and shopping (pick Blue Bird taxis as they are metered), visit the Mulia Resort for some jaw dropping views and stroll some 12-15 minutes to the Nusa Dua Main Gate (nanami murahan in Indonesian, sp?) for some local shopping and restaurants.

On departure, we took our pre-booked car to the new Airport for US$15 (20 mins ride) but remember to keep 200K each person for Airport tax! At the airport, great food and great prices at the Black Canyon Cafe - check it out. When we return to Bali, we would stay in Kuta, loved it after a short visit, no wonder its been so popular for so many years with tourists all over the world.

Room Tip: Pick a 3rd or 4th floor Premier room, facing the Gardens, not the road.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear JChua. Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us. We are delighted to note that you and the family had a good time with us. Your valuable feedback are really appreciated and we have taken into account the aspects you mentioned as we continuously strive to bring a better value of our service delivery. We hope to have another opportunity to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.