“Awesome Place to stay”
Review of Melia Bali

Melia Bali
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I would recommend the Melia Bali Spa Villas to anyone, We were there from 04/03/2013 to 11/03/2013 the staff are great and go out of their way to help,plenty of activities, also right on the beach and the Tapas bar is excellent meals are very good but a little bit pricy mind you there are 4 restaurants on site.The rooms are a little dated but still very comfortable
It is close to the shopping center called the collection lots of shops and food outlets and a 25 minute drive to Kuta far enough away from the busy areas but close enough to go visit and check out the cheap stalls in Kuta.
I wish to thank all the staff at Melia for making this a very memorable holiday for us, we will be going back here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ground floor with pool access means you can walk out from your room and str...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen B
Wayan B, Manager at Melia Bali, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Stephen B,

We are happy to learn that all of you had a wonderful stay at our resort with the service and facilities provided. Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (5,692)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Melia Bali for a romantic getaway in March 2013. The Hotel is clean and has fantastic facilities including 5 restaurants, spa, beautiful pool, private beach area, bar, gym and much much more. The staff were so cheerful and friendly that we would return just to see them again and they really go above and beyond the call of duty. My partner and I paid extra for a romantic private dinner in a private hut on the beach, organised by the hotel. The chef came specifically to talk to us a few days before our dinner to explain menu options and it was one of the best meals I've eaten. We will definitely return to the Melia and have already recommended it to many of our friends.

Room Tip: Laguna access rooms are amazing for honeymooners that want the privacy however my partner and I spen...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Vanessa H,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Meliá Bali for your holiday and taking the time to write your first review in TripAdvisor.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great property if you want to stay indoors and explore the beauty of nature as its a vast resort. Its situated in the Nusa Dua area making it one of the best areas to stay and along with it the negative part of being far from the Kuta area for party scene.

I would recommend this hotel if you'd like to have a peaceful vacation. Its quite near to all the 5 stars and also the Benoa beach for water activities. If you would like to party and sight seeing, this is not a property for you.

You will love this resort as it has a private beach, huge pool and a beach bar. There is also a pirate theme beach shack very near to the private beach that can give you a nice pirate experience. Very less people out here, but a nice place to sit and chat with friends over drinks and food.

We did not love the breakfast (maybe coz I am an Indian) as there wasnt really great variety and Indonesian fruits are not very tasty.

Room Tip: The lower rooms are great as they have a private pool. Chose rooms in building no 1 as thats very n...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear MumbaiDarshan,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Meliá Bali for your holiday and taking the time to write your review of our property in TripAdvisor. As a top contributor on tripadvisor and been in 32 cities, we believe you have written the most objective reviews of our property.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I spent a week at the Melia Bali in February. It was my third stay at this resort although some in our party have visited 7 or 8 times. The Melia has been a gathering place for our family since one of my relatives discovered it in the early 1990s on a trip to Indonesia. Therefore, it may be fair to say we are biased and part of the reason we stay there is for nostalgic reasons. That said, we have always enjoyed our trips to Bali and our stays at the Melia. The Melia is a fairly massive resort with 500+ rooms and acres of luscious grounds and gardens. I believe it’s one of the best places to stay if you have family gatherings especially with children because there are always activities and events going on. Sometimes it’s a bit loud and annoying if you’re looking for a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of somewhere else. To be sure, there are quiet corners of the resort and it’s the sort of place that has something for everyone whether you are a honeymooner, someone with kids or a retiree.

The positive:
Extensive facilities/activities/variety
Wide range of room choices and relatively large rooms
Value for money
Dining options
Location
Friendly staff

The negative:
Aging property
Rodents (see last paragraph)

Our check in was quick and smooth as usual. We received welcome drinks and signed the documents and were off to our rooms within 5 minutes. We were able to book directly with the Melia and were offered rates that were comparable to or better than what were available through various third party travel sites.

One of the reasons we have stayed here so often is the wide range of room types that are available. And since the Melia has been around so long, many of the rooms are more open and spacious than much of what’s available in newer properties. You can get a duplex suite (with a bedroom upstairs and living area downstairs) for about the same price as a regular room at another resort. The hotel also has a number of different suites or villas or lagoon access (where you can wade into the pool from your room) rooms available. On the flip side, since the resort is one of the oldest in the area, some of the older rooms could use a makeover. While the rooms are relatively well maintained, there are water stains, signs of mildew, degraded grout in the tile, musty smells, and scuffs/nicks/scratches as well as other apparent signs of aging. I’m sure there are some very new rooms available as well, but you should be aware that if you’re expecting modern 5 star accommodations, there are certainly going to be some rooms that won’t meet your expectations. It may be worth noting that it’s possible to request dehumidifiers for your room. One of the rooms I stayed in a few years back was so humid that all my clothes constantly felt damp, swimsuits would never dry and there was a faint mildew scent in the air. One of the rooms we stayed in this time had the same smell when we checked in but there was a dehumidifier running and everything was perfect within a day.

The pool vicinity is sort of a central gathering area for various activities over the course of the day. It normally starts with aqua aerobics on the morning followed by various sporting/cultural activities. There is a kids club next to the main pool which offers toys and activities for kids. There are several staff members in the kids club who are good with children and I think it’s even possible to leave your kids there if they are above a certain age. The pool is spacious and has ample lounge chairs with cushions. There is a smaller wading pool for children and there are usually lots of kids there playing with each other. I understand that in peak months the pool can be quite crowded and it’s necessary to wake up early to reserve a spot by the pool, but in February it was fine.

The majority of packages at the Melia include a breakfast buffet. The breakfast area is always lively in the mornings and the selection of foods (Asian and Western) is always adequate. They have everything from fried noodles and porridges to omelets and cereal. I even saw an area of gluten free foods this time. There are tropical fruits, meats and cheeses, toasts and pastries as well as a selection of juices. The quality of food is quite good considering it’s a buffet for hundreds of people and there are usually a few staff members playing traditional instruments at the entrance to the breakfast area. The service is also fast and efficient. They have dozens of staff members running around clearing plates and prepping tables. It is possible to sit indoors or outdoors. It’s not like a fancy champagne brunch like you might look for at certain high-end luxury hotels, but it’s way better than your average high school cafeteria.

We usually ate lunch at the outdoor Satay spot in between the pool and the beach. It is conveniently located and they have an extensive menu for all tastes including a kids menu. I would say the hotel food is expensive compared to elsewhere in Bali but it’s not totally outrageous by international standards (think US$10-20 and there are a few budget friendly options on the menu if you’re just looking for a snack over the course of the day. The satay set where they bring a little charcoal grill to your table to keep your skewers warm is pretty tasty and I recommend it if you can keep it away from the squirrels (more on that later).

I should mention that the Melia has a voucher option that they mention upon check-in and usually slip to you with your room key. I usually ignore offers for coupons and so on, but if you have a couple meals or drinks at the hotel during your stay, I would highly recommend purchasing a voucher BEFORE you start to order food and drink. The voucher basically lets you buy vouchers in various denominations such as 1 million rupiah worth of food or drinks for 750,000 rupiah – a 25% discount. The key is that you have to purchase the voucher from the front desk prior to going on a drinking binge at the pool bar because they will start deducting from your balance after you make the purchase. There are no hassles or things to keep track of: they just run an additional balance in their system tied to your room number and food and beverages are deducted from this balance before applying any charges to your regular room tab. Again, if you even have just a couple meals and cocktails at the hotel, the voucher will probably be well worth your while. We also tried the Italian restaurant during our visit and it was fine. If you’re a real foodie or a food critic you’d probably not be that impressed. I wouldn’t say the chef is going to earn a Michelin star or anything, but the food is probably tastier than what you get at a chain restaurant such as Olive Garden or TGI Fridays.

One of the convenient features of the Melia Bali is its proximity to the Bali Collection. The Bali Collection is sort of like an outdoor “collection” of shops, restaurants, cafes and spas that is a few minutes walk out from the front entrance. The Bali Collection offers a spot to buy souvenirs and enjoy meals or shopping at less than hotel prices. I could spend ages just reviewing the various dining and shopping options (they’re mostly the same) at the Bali Collection, so I’ll just say it’s worth checking out. Bring mosquito repellant as most restaurants are outdoors.

I had the opportunity to use the gym facilities at the Melia during this visit. I usually run along the beachfront path that stretches past the other resorts and attractions, but I discovered that the gym is a good alternative when it rains. The gym is modern with a few Lifestyle treadmills along with weight machines and free weights. The equipment is new, clean, and there is an attendant on duty to answer any questions. There is towel service, cold water and a flat screen television above each treadmill. There is an adjoining yoga studio with an instructor – I understand there’s a small fee for yoga sessions but I met some other hotel guests who raved about it.

The beach area is pleasant. Although the sandy area along the beach between the hotel and the waterline is not very far, the Melia occupies a lot of real estate along the coastline and therefore has ample area for lounge chairs, umbrellas and the like. There are lots of vendors touting glass boat rides, water sports, and selling various sarongs, watches (some replicas are quite impressive), shells, jewelry and other trinkets. This is not unique to the Melia as the same salespeople wander up and down the beach to each resort. Vendors wear numbered uniforms and are not very pushy or intrusive. As far as beach vendors go, it’s quite a tame environment although you will have to bargain like a fiend for any purchases you make.

Although the staff are all polite (they literally stop and greet each hotel guest they pass) and the hotel grounds are beautiful and there is always lots to do, there is one thing that I do not like about the Melia Bali. I understand it’s the tropics so I’m fine with the fact that there are occasionally ants and lizards in the rooms, but I have a real problem with the squirrels. Many guests find the furry little critters that live in the trees along the beach to be cute and entertaining and normally I would agree. However, over the years the squirrels have mutated from adorable creatures that frolic in the trees to annoying little beasts that disturb you when you’re eating. The problem is that people – both hotel guests and employees – have been feeding the squirrels. They will literally jump on you and climb up your body to steal food from your plate. Many will just jump onto your table and beg but some are far more aggressive. Again, some guests found it adorable and amusing that squirrels will jump up to your table and eat from your hand or chase bits of food that are thrown around, but most guests were visibly annoyed. I can think of very few things more troubling more that rodents jumping on your person (yes, it hurts when they scratch you) and on your table when you’re eating. They are persistent and not afraid of people at all – I saw a few guests scream and yell or threaten the hairy invaders, but they were not fazed, did not flinch and defiantly stood their ground. I witnessed a hotel employee taking a plate full of leftover French fries and placing them up in a nearby tree to get all the squirrels away from the guests. What ensued was a feeding frenzy of DOZENS of squirrels madly jumping around the tree with the fries. It was like sharks swimming around in a tank full of blood. The squirrels – normally a mainstay of the Sateria Restaurant on the beach – have also ventured further inland so now I get to enjoy the pleasure of their company if I’m sitting on the veranda of my room as well. My wife had one jump on her while relaxing on the balcony of our room. I remember thinking that it’s only a matter of time before they move indoors entirely. At night I swore I could near the little squirrels scurrying in the walls and ceiling of our room, but I decided it was my imagination. However, on our last day at the Melia, we returned from dinner to find a large rat in our room. Squirrels I can deal with, but I draw the line at rats. We immediately called maintenance and trapped it in one corner of our room. Someone from maintenance came within 15 minutes (a little slow given the circumstances of our rat showdown) of our call but the rat managed to escape. Maintenance returned within a few minutes and placed a large rat trap in our room and we were permitted to move rooms. He seemed very familiar with how to reach in the ceiling and deploy the rat trap. When we asked the maintenance person if there are lots of rats, he smiled and gave me a sly look that could only mean “yes”.

Overall the Melia offers a family-friendly property in a convenient location offering a wide range of activities to suit all guests. It offers spacious rooms that, while they can be a bit tired, are good value for your money. Yes, the property is getting older (even though the rooms have been renovated and have LCD television and so on) so if you need an ultramodern room with no chipping marble or faded teak, then you should make sure to specify when you book and expect to have to pay more for a newer room. I know many people that have gone to Melia and had memorable romantic getaways or family trips (myself included). Although it’s not the newest place, it’s a great location and atmosphere with well-trained staff. Fortunately, our rat incident occurred on our last night of our stay so it didn’t affect our trip much and we didn’t have to live through the anguish of rodent nightmares on subsequent nights. While I’ve enjoyed my visits to the Melia thusfar and while I would still be okay recommending Melia to others -- I will probably try staying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank mechatorakichi
Wayan B, Manager at Melia Bali, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Warmest greetings from Meliã Bali!

Dear mechatorakichi,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Meliã Bali for the third time and also taking the time to write your first review of our property on TripAdvisor.

Regret to know that you were not satisfied staying with us, please accept our apology for any inconveniences caused, especially on your last evening. We have noted all the positive and negative points you mentioned on your review for our feedback and improvement.

However we do hope that the incident happened on your last evening will not refrain your 4th visit to the Melia Bali in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us by sending us an e-mail to executive.office@meliabali.com to get more detail information about our hotel.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The mixed reviews for this hotel had me a bit worried to be honest but my family thoroughly enjoyed our 6 night stay from 27 Feb 2013. It's obvious that improvements have already been made since some of the negative reviews in late 2012... the pool was nice and clean, we had free WiFi and our rooms (2209-2212) were well appointed and clean.

There were many good points including:
- well maintained gardens and ponds
- quiet beachside 'cove' location with clean beach (no floating rubbish like other places in Asia)
- great restaurant deck and attractive beachside dining and bar area
- well presented meals including an impressive and comprehensive breakfast buffet
- plenty of sun lounges around the pool
- a shallow (30cm) toddler pool that's perfect for child-minding adults to laze in with their littlies
- friendly attentive staff
- well appointed rooms... the 'musty' smell is actually just the woody smell of the tropics!
- really comfy king beds
- surprising number of birds (and squirrels!)
- staff were very accommodating re above-mentioned squirrels
- no construction noise (fantastic as I really hate this, especially when not told in advance)
- nice walks via beach to next cove and Bali Collection or the other way past other hotels
- Pacific Museum next door was surprisingly good (AUD $7 entry)
- Bali Collection offers a 'curated' selection of upmarket tourist shopping outlets
- a 10 minute walk the other way gets you to cheaper markets and cafes (Tropical was good)

A few disadvantages:
- huge hotel so while attractive, there's no sense of intimacy and not a lot of charm
- Nusa Dua is not really Bali... you could be just about anywhere
- very slow check-in and check-out service
- be ready to eat breakfast with hundreds of other people
- expensive food and drinks so we often ate at nearby Bali Collection (Mai Mai is good)
- the traffic is seriously congested past the airport so you are less inclined to tour north
- inconsistency in service (you may get something only some days, variation between rooms)
- very small beach area for general guests (villa guests have a larger area of beach)
- a strong smell from the septic system was very detectable in the 'general' beach area
- beach vendors prey on guests (though nowhere near as pushy as elsewhere eg. Sanur)
- uncomfortable sun lounges (bollard pillow)... the Laguna ones next door looked more inviting!

Room Tip: We didn't see the Lagoon rooms or Private Villas but one of these would be our choice next time...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michele B

Warmest greetings from Meliã Bali!

Dear MikkiMoo81,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Meliã Bali and taking the time to write your first review of our property on TripAdvisor.

Regret to know that you were not satisfied staying with us, please accept our apology for any inconveniences caused. However, we have noted all the positive and negative points you mentioned on your review for our feedback and improvement.

Please do not hesitate to contact us by sending us an e-mail to executive.office@meliabali.com to get more detail information about our private villas or Lagoon Access Suites for your next visit..

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Melia Bali is truely paradise on earth!! The hotel staff are angels!! they made my honeymoon magical beyond expectation. Thank you to all at Melia Bali for ur hospitality and exquisite service - made me feel like royalty!! My wife & I are still in awe of the beauty of the Hotel & Bali as a whole. Thank you to our honest tour guide as well that was arranged so kindly by the hotel!!
I will be back for sure!!

Room Tip: I think any room in Melia Bali hotel will fulfill ur every expectation but for that touch of royal...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Adil R

We are happy to learn that all of you have had a lifetime honeymoon memory at our resort with the service and facilities provided. Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next wedding anniversary in our beachfront villa.

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my family of 8 for 7 nights, very helpful giving us 4 rooms next to each other, all staff were very genuinely friendly. The hotel restaurants were a touch expensive. We decided to eat at Bali connection most nights. Overall very happy with package Flight Centre recommended for all of us. We will be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013