“Beautiful, balmy beaches”

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Northern Ireland
“Beautiful, balmy beaches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

Stayed in a Lagoon View Deluxe Room for 9 nights in July 2010.
After a long stint at the airport, getting visas and through immigration we were met by our Tour East rep and taken the 30 minute drive to Nusa Dua. We had to go through security checkpoint at the entrance to the resort and then again at the hotel.
When we arrived at the hotel a gong was sounded and 2 Balinese dancers accompanied by 3 gamelan musicians greeted us. Checking in was quick and easy. Our butler then took us to our room. It was quite late in the evening and we were a little peckish so we just ordered some food from the in room dining menu. This was delivered quickly and the standard was very good.
The room was very nice and well appointed and the bathroom had all the usual amenities. The air conditioning unit was excellent.
Breakfast was served in the Lagoon Café from 7am to 11am and had a great range of food to suit all tastes. There was an egg station for omelettes, fried, scrambled or boiled eggs, beautiful crispy streaky bacon. There was also a fruit station to peel and chop fresh fruit, make smoothies and serve juice and yoghurts. Also a station making fresh pancakes and waffles and croissants.
Asian dishes of rice etc. were also plentiful as well as good old English porridge. There was also the usual selection of breads and cheeses as well as all the beautiful pastries.
There were two main pools and the lagoon flowed all around the hotel, so there were always plenty of sunbeds available. Everywhere was very clean and the lagoons were surrounded by well manicured gardens. From the pool there was a short walk to the beach and once again this was exceptionally good and clean. There was a promenade connecting 3 hotels Laguna, its next door neighbour and then the Nusa Dua Beach Hotel.
Complimentary afternoon tea was served in the Mayang Sari restaurant.
Feel free to avail of the complimentary 24 hour butler service for tea, coffee ice etc.
As has been stated before food is very expensive in the restaurants at night so most patrons eat in the Bali Collection.
One indulgence I would recommend is to have afternoon tea in The St. Regis Resort. It is quite expensive but I think well worth the money.
Once again a great thank you to all the management and staff for making our visit memorable.

2 Thank Brian M
thelaguna, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 31, 2010

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you had a most enriching and distinctive experience while staying at The Laguna and that our team looked after you very well.

On behalf of The Laguna family, we look forward to welcoming you back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality in the near future.

David C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Niagara Falls, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

I booked a room at the Laguna Resort using Starwood points and it was worth every last point I had. From the moment I arrived (after 24 hours of traveling), I was greeted with a delicious peppermint tea, hot towel, and most importantly, an incredibly inviting staff, particularly a Mr. Adai. I was very appreciative of their enthusiasm while describing the property; you can tell they really enjoy interacting with guests and working with one another. I was immediately upgraded to a suite (I knew staying at Starwood properties for 2 years would pay off!), which was beautiful. Modern balinese decor, incredibly roomy (living area, huge bathroom with both jacuzzi tub and large shower), and the always comfortable Heavenly bed. I also had direct access to the lagoon / pool from my private patio.

However, what really made this stay incredble was the staff. I can't say enough about how accomodating, friendly, and attentive all the staff are. As a solo traveler, they went out of their way to help me find activities, provide restaurant recommendations, and warn me about certain taxi drivers / services. Heck, I even got a crash course in Balinese from a few of the bartenders.

The only suggestion I would have is to perhaps offer more variety in their on-property restaurants. I could be mistaken but it was primarily Indonesian food on grounds. I might have missed it, but I would have loved to have access to a sushi bar. Likewise, a small market / coffee / sandwich shop would have been outstanding for mid-day or take away snacking.

I can't wait to come back to this hotel. I would highly recommend it for families, couples, and even the solo traveler. It's a bit of a trip to Kuta / Seminyak (roughly 30 - 45 min via cab), but it's well worth it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank vinradia9582

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your constructive feedback in regards to our menu variety. This has been addressed accordingly and when you return to The Laguna, you will notice a significant improvement.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

They have beautiful grounds. We were stunned by how nice it was. Even a garden view would be lovely.

I usually notice anything that might be wrong with a hotel when I arrive. To my wonderment, I did not notice anything wrong. I immediately relaxed. We immediately joined the frequent visitor program, and will work this hotel into our schedule as much as we can.

Good idea to book a beach front cabana at the same time as you book the room. If not booking a cabana, it's a good idea to get a towel and save yourself a lounge chair first thing in the morning. If you don't, you may be scrabbling for a good spot later.

2 Thank lindaruthe2016
thelaguna, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2010

Aachen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

It is a very nice hotel with everything you need. The service is great and everybody is exceptionally friendly. The rooms are not very bright but really nice (we stayed in a lagoon view room). The room had a nice big bed, which was really good, a big flatscreen tv, a nice bath with a bath tub. Cleanlyness was perfect as well as the room service.
The Pool and Garden are the most beautiful ones of all hotels in Nusa Dua (as far as we could compare from the beach-walkway).
Breakfast buffet was excellent - we could not imagine anything missing (apart from Nutella ;-) )
The only thing which is not "perfect" is the beach - during the times of low tide, there is nearly no sea left - but only a sandy/muddy bay. So if you want to have really nice beach, you will have to visit one of the neighbouring beaches.
Even if there were some families with children, the hotel is more a conference hotel and probably not the best for traveling families.
All in all a great place to stay.

1 Thank mvitr

Knutsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

Chose Bali for our wedding because good weather virtually guaranteed in July. Staff at the Laguna helped make our day very special. We chose the lagoon access rooms which we all enjoyed. Had a great stay and a great wedding day.
Room staff were good but the restaurant staff were average. Hotel food very pricey which meant the restaurants were empty except at breakfast - more reasonable prices would help.
Nonetheless a very nice hotel with ample space by the pool and on the beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ElisabethBSC
thelaguna, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 3, 2010

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Thank you also for your constructive feedback in regards to the restaurant staff level of service as well as our food pricing. I will pass this on to my team and ensure improvement is made forthwith. When you return to The Laguna, you will notice a significant improvement.

On behalf of The Laguna family, we look forward to welcoming you both back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality on your second honeymoon.

Marousi, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

I chose the Laguna based on very thorough research on trip advisor and I must say that in the beginning I was very suspicious of all the positive and excellent guest reviews. But please, and I cannot stress this enough: BELIEVE IT!!! The pictures do no justice to the resort. And just as well, because when you arrive at the Laguna…you are simply overwhelmed!! This was our first trip to Bali and for sure will not be our last!!
Months before our honeymoon, the Laguna executive staff was SOOOO helpful!! Anything I needed they were always on the ball. Whether it was sending me Spa brochures and very detailed information or even arranging my pick-up from the airport, my new friend Susan was always glad and eager to help. Many thanks to her and her colleagues for exceptional luxury service and hospitality, as well as for making my honeymoon unforgettable! I will be eternally grateful!!
Upon arriving in Bali we were welcomed to a beautiful setting filled with many friendly and smiling front desk employees who treated us as if we were VIP. Our room was fantastic!! Fresh fruits, chocolates and fresh flowers greeted us, as well as a special honeymoon surprise from the Laguna Resort!! The bed was super and very comfortable. The room was spacious and the view was lovely. The resort had immaculate gardens and facilities. The pools were all sparkling clean and exceptionally beautiful. We used the Spa almost everyday. It was great being pampered and treated like royalty. I highly recommend to all honeymooners (and not only) the MOONLIGHT MASSAGE treatment in the Grand Gazebo at night accompanied by chocolates, fruit and cocktails. The Spa facilities the Jacuzzi and the treatment rooms were divine. Many thanks to all of the Spa staff. The food was also way above my expectations. Breakfast had something to offer for all tastes. We never had to wait for a table or for food to be replenished. Room service as well was great!! Delicious food prepared in 30 minutes or less!! We didn’t really use the butler service that much but it was a plus to know that someone is always there to respond to all of our needs. To make the long, yet happy story short, the Laguna exceeded all of our expectations. It was a joy to be a guest there. After seeing the rest of the hotels in Nusa Dua at a glance, I was even more content knowing our choice was the best for our needs and preferences. My next visit in Bali will definitely be at the Laguna!! THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL STAY!!

1 Thank Jackee78

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you had a most enriching and distinctive honeymoon with us and that our team looked after you very well.

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

My daughter and I stayed 5 nights at the Laguna Resort in March and we're planning on returning as quickly as possible. The pictures on the website do not do it justice. It is truly a tropical paradise. When we arrived we were greeted with Balinese dancers and beautiful gamelan music. The service was extraordinary and our butlers were nothing less than perfect. We drank tons of water so they were constantly bringing us bottles (8 at a time). Our room was a lagoon access room and well worth the extra $$. We loved slipping from our room into the pool whenever we wanted. The grounds were immaculate and the pools were truly amazing. We ordered room service and went to their brunch (best brunch I've ever had), but it's much less expensive to go off site. The ocean is nice, but very warm. We found the pools to be more refreshing. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. My favorite hotel in my life!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family