The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Melia Bali(Nusa Dua)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Grand Hyatt Bali(Nusa Dua)
3,539 results
All reviewsbutler servicearwana restaurantkulkul barcornerstone delikul kul bara lagoon view roomour honeymoonlagoon accessbeach frontaccess roomwelcome drinkreal balirestaurants and barssun loungersshopping centrebeach barnice beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 13, 2009

This was my third stay at this property - other occasions when still known as "Sheraton Laguna" so had been quite a while, and what a difference management makes!

As a Starwood property, one would naturally expect service and overall standards to be high - and on my other two stays this was the case, although there was nothing which would have made the property stand-out over any of the other Nusa Dua Resorts. Everything happened in a "technically correct" manner, but with little warmth or personality being demonstrated on the part of the Resort's staff. On the latter of these two visits, my itinerary required that I move from Sheraton Laguna to Nusa Dua Beach Resort & Spa in a Palace Club Room. where I found the staff and general ambience to be much more warm and personal.

On this visit - although the Buildings, Grounds and magnificent Lagoon Pools were as I had remembered them, that's where any relationship to my previous visits ended and a whole new experience awaited me! A "wind of change" in the form of The Laguna's exceptional General Manager David Cuddon and his equally competent Assistant Douglas, has swept through The Laguna.

My stay of two nights - from the time I was met by the smiling "Airport Greeter" and my driver on arrival from Jakarta at Ngurah Rai Airport, until I alighted from The Laguna's Black Mercedes Limousine thee days later - was faultless.

I was met kerbside at The Laguna by David and Douglas and escorted to my Suite (upgrade from Deluxe Garden View Room) where a staff member was waiting to handle my check-in. The ex-hotelier in me always means that my first thing on entering any hotel room is to conduct a full inspection of facilities and housekeeping standards; although interrupted by stops to sample the "House-Made" Cookies and Pralines which are provided, I could find nothing about which to complain. Everything was immaculate and well-presented.

Unfortunately, this was a business trip so little time to experience the Resort's facilities - except for a few walks around the magnificent grounds and along the Beach Pathway.

The Butler (all rooms/suites have personal Butler Service) assisted me to set-up my laptop on the Work Table located in the Bedroom and connect to the Resort's Broadband (Nett Rp. 145,000 per full-day). After working for a couple of hours, I called the Butler to have some clothes pressed (3 items "light pressing" also included) for a function I was attending that evening. He said "Mr Les, you have been working very hard since you arrived, would you like me to bring you a coffee?". During my stay, the Butler on duty seemed to have the ability to predict what I would need.

On the following morning - I realised I had not asked in which Restaurant breakfast was being served. I asked a staff member working poolside adjacent to my suite - but instead of directing me to the Restaurant, he personally escorted me there; during the walk he took time to enquire about my stay - if I was enjoying myself - and if there was anything which I needed to make my stay perfect. This was the attitude of each staff member with whom I came into contact during my stay. Not once was I passed by a Resort staff member without them taking the time to smile and greet me.

I would be really surprised if there is anybody, regardless of their personal tastes, who would not be impressed by the range of dishes - Western, Indonesian, Japanese - offered on the Buffet, right down to the Menu on each table offering a selection from 14 different Teas! Service on the two mornings I was there was absolutely impeccable. Putra the Restaurant Manager stopped by my table to introduce himself - remembered me from a previous visit - and shortly returned with a plate of sliced fresh mango "this is not on the Buffet this morning but I thought you may enjoy it". On the second and final morning of my stay, Putra was not on the Restaurant floor when I arrived for breakfast. He saw me about to leave and insisted that I wait a few minutes so he could once more prepare mango and put in a box for me to take back to my suite.

I was also fortunate to be a guest at a Luncheon for a visiting tourism identity, so had a chance to experience the Ballroom Catering Standards at The Laguna which were as expected, faultless and world-class in every respect.

With my commitments I did not have time to experience any of The Laguna's Food & Beverage Outlets apart from Breakfast and the Complimentary Afternoon Tea to which I arrived right on closing-time but was still seated and provided with an individual serve of Coffee and Cakes. I had quite expected that I would be told that "service was complete" - but not at The Laguna! I ordered a late-night Pizza on day two; it was served well within the "promised maximum 30 minutes or it is free" - Great Pizza on well-presented Tray with Fresh Flower and Iced water.

Of course, nothing will ever be perfect. I noted in a post-stay comment that although Drinking Water in Bathroom was in glass bottles with Crown Seals, there was no opener to be found apart from in the Living Room's Mini Bar. I received a prompt personal reply from the General Manager David Cuddon advising that "he had quietly taken-up this matter with his housekeeping team and was sure that this had now been rectified".

The fact that a "missing bottle opener" was the sole problem I encountered in a stay which extended over three days, speaks volumes for The Laguna's standards.

David Cuddon refers to The Laguna's staff as "his Ambassadors" - which they undoubtetly are!! A truly memorable experience for me, which I hope to soon repeat - but next time I have promised myself that there will be "no work - just enjoying all The Laguna has to offer".

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank OzinJakarta
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed 4 nights in the Laguna in the beginning of September.
We had an absolute amazing time and the resort is just incredible. The staff is wonderful and makes sure your stay is just perfect. We really appreciated the hospitality and cant wait come back.
Nina and Shane

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holidayholic84
Reviewed September 11, 2009

We have just got back from a fantastic 2 week honeymoon at the Laguna. The hotel was everything we wanted it to be and more. It was not too busy, a stunning setting with immaculate hotel grounds and a fantastic beach - that you could never get bored of looking at.
The staff were tremendous, nothing was ever too much for them. We have stayed at a lot of hotels and I can honestly say the Laguna has it all. We heard many staff comment that this is the best hotel in Nusa Dua and I believe they were very right.
We are planning to hopefully go back to Bali and stay at the Laguna for a future anniversary.
Only downside - the wine and alcoholic beverages were very pricey!
Advice:
Book for the Wakka land trip - it shows you the REAL Bali minus the various shopping stops.
Go to the Spa - gorgeous treatments
Make sure you dine at Mayang Sari - amazing food and brilliant staff
BOOK LAGUNA TODAY!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrsHopper
Reviewed September 4, 2009

The best and most welcoming staff I have ever experienced. From the General Manager, the reservations staff, the housekeeping staff, the restaurant staff, the room service staff, the butlers, the gardeners, the pool cleaners - ALL went above the call of duty to make our stay the best we've experienced in the last 16 years, at the same resort.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vinette5
Reviewed September 2, 2009

It was our first time at the "Laguna". This Hotel belongs to "The Luxury Collection" of Starwood Preferred Guest.
Everything, from arrival until departure was nearly perfect for us. We got a room on the 2nd floor in the second building with garden-view. Yes, it's nice to have Lagoon view, but there is no chance for any noise :-). Its a large hotel, surrounded by a Pool-Lagoon. It was surprising to us: it was fully booked but we never had this feeling. The real occupied pools are in the large garden with enough chairs. But also here: no feeling of a fully booked hotel. It was always quite.
Next Step to the beach: the same situation: quite and relaxing. All the chairs are free of charge. There are also enough Balès (Gazebos) for a daily charge of 25 US$.
Service: really good and friendly and fast. From the "Butlers" to the Pool-Boys.
There is a 24 hrs Butler Service with free coffee and tea. Even with the wake up call you can choose coffee or tea and you get fresh croissants too.
Breakfast: Nothing to complain! All the fresh things (ask for your freshly sliced Mango!), indonesian breakfast, asian breakfast, eggs, cold cuts, juices etc. You don't need to rush for a table outside, but about 9:30 am they are occupied.
Tip: ask for the Food and Beverage Prepaid Vouchers at the Ocean Terrace Restaurant! For 100 US$ you get a value of 150US$! That's great! They are unlimited, just calsulate what your F&B revenue will be and buy the amount in Vouchers!
Sorry guys, we did not use the hotelrestaurants for dinner, we prefer to use local restaurants always. But for lunch the Ocean restaurant's Beach Terrace is really good.
Sometimes they offer a dinner special with Bali-Dances in the garden.

Our room (Nr 226) was in a good shape, nice furnished, had a great bed (important) and space enough also for two large pieces of luggage. DVD Player is also included.

The "Bali Collection"-Center with restaurants and shops is in walking distance (10 Minutes). The "Coco-Bistro" is real good and thewine-list is not as expensive as we expected. A Chile-Cahrdonnay is 280.000 IRP - about 28 US$ incl. tax

Concierge and Front Office: always available and helpful and fast. They did all our bookings for the "Kudeta" and for transfers.

If you are interested in a private chauffeur for your tours, ask us, we did our tours with him for a complete charge of about 50 US$ all inclusive for a whole day!

Our preferred place after dinner for a cocktail was the Cascade Bar!

Finally, this place is nothing for those, who are into partys: this is a quite luxurious place!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple