This was our first time to Bali. We travel a lot (Platinum SPG) and are always wary of reviews - what might do it for one, might not do it for another. Still, after reading all of the reviews, on this site, our expectations of the Laguna were pretty high, to say the least.
The Laguna surpassed all our expectations. They should have their SPG category upgraded from 4 to 6. It is simply stunning. The staff are great. The rooms are great. The food is great. The service is great. There was always plenty of sun loungers available, around the lagoon/pools and they weren't all cramped in, so your privacy was respected. We went there as a couple, without kids. I will outline the best & the worst as much as I can. We will definitely return. Numerous times, I can imagine.
Our room was serviced twice per day - which was fantastic. Any staff we encountered were friendly, courteous and inobtrusive.
It was sometimes hard to get the attention of waiters around the pool. This is a rather expansive area, so one could hardly blame them. You could try to catch someone's attention, but it is faster to get up & walk over to the counter. A flag or paging solution would easily resolve this.
Security is everywhere. You will drive through a checkpoint as your enter Nusa Dua and another when you enter the Hotel driveway, and another when you arrive at the foyer. The check your car, your bags and of course you. Rest assured that despite the contant checking you will never feel frustrated by it. It is obviously for your benefit and the staff are always friendly. Security is as strict as an airport but there is absolutely no sign of a attitude. I felt safer than I do in my own home.
The lagoons/pools and gardens are exquistite. There is a golf course located right accross the road. The white sand beach is wide and clean. The water is calm. The roaming sales people with sarongs, kites, etc are part of an organisation, which appears to be authorised by the resorts. So the sales people will ask you if you are interested, but won't harras you if you aren't.
The bales are pretty & comfortable. They can be booked at the beach cafe for a nominal fee. If they are not reserved anyone can use them, until some one does book it.
The more family friendly Westin is right next door, so if you want extra facilities (ie bicycle rental) you can skip over there & charge it back to your room. The close proximity of the Westin would be useful if you are travelling with kids and want the best of both worlds.
The business centre was standard.
The gym was great. There are a number of treadmills and cycles. The spa staff were constantly coming in to wipe them down, restocking them with complimentary bottled water & towels. The treadmills are integrated with sattelite tv - so you can run whilst catching up on the news. They have gym style headphones, if you don't have your own.
The spa was heaven, albeit a lot more expensive than the plethora of options located at the Bali Collection (5 minute walk down the road). But that is to be expected. The surroundings at the Laguna Spa are a lot nicer.
The tennis courts were being rennovated whilst we were there; but we have the option to use the courts at the Westin, which wasn't an inconvenience at all.
If you are a scuba diver - surprising the safety standards of the dive company allifiated with the Laguna is not up to par, the gear is very old and the boats they use aren't the best. There are plenty of 5 star PADI centres around. After we left Nusa Dua we found Atlantis Dive Centre [--] - whose standards and quality were up to scratch. We can also highly recommend the shore/wreck dive at Tulamben - it is well worth the 2 hr drive.
The restaurants within the resort are all fantastic. We tried all but one of them.
Nusa Dua is great if you don't want to leave the Laguna - and you probably won't. However if you do get cabin fever, forget exploring Nusa Dua. Get a driver to take you to Seminyak (an expat area). It is about a 20 min drive (traffic depending). Metered taxis (Ask for a Bluebird) are sooo cheap. (Half the price of the toasters on wheels (skinny vans), whose drivers tout themselves just outside the gate). The shopping, restaurants and bars are some of the best I've ever seen.
We used spg points but were still given an upgrade to a Deluxe Studio. Heaven! The room was spacious and styled well. It offered a step ladder off our balcony, straight into a pool. Being able to wake up & jumping straight into the pool was fantastic and became part of our daily routine, whilst we waited for our comlimentary espresso to be delivered to our room. The butler service was great. Again they were attentive whilst inobtrustive. We never called for them for anything other than room service, as somehow they seemed to sense our every need. We felt like they were really making every effort to ensure your stay was perfect. I miss the cookies & chocolates. :)
.... I can't wait to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the exclusive Nusa Dua resort area, on Bali's most beautiful beach, the Laguna Resort & Spa boast panoramic view of Indian Ocean. The 257 guest rooms and 19 suites combine modern Balinese style with evocative tropical garden or lagoon views, the resort’s unique Lagoon Access Rooms allow you to step from your private balcony directly into crystal-clear lagoon waters while the 11 pool villas feature expansive private pools. Enjoy our seven swimmable lagoons, the first swimmable lagoon in the world, stretching over 5,000-square-metres though the resort. The Lagoon Spa promises unforgettable activities while our 24-hour Butler Service ensures a matchless experience. The Laguna Resort & Spa offers a wide range of dining options featuring cuisines from around the world. Banyubiru featuring pan-Asian and International cuisines. Arwana, a beachfront restaurant, offers an extensive and unparalled premium coastal cuisine with fresh and live seafood as well as an oyster and sushi bar. Cornerstone features a wine room with a unique setting for private dining and a deli highlighting a sambal corner, a variety of homemade ice creams, chocolates, cakes and daily specialties from the rotisserie oven. In addition, our poolside Kul Kul Bar, Cascade Garden Lounge and Bar, and Sapphire Lagoon Bar offer signature cocktails, wine, spirits and light bites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood APAC, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Hotel Nusa Dua
- The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort And Spa
- Laguna Hotel Nusa Dua
- The Laguna Hotel
- The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Bali/Nusa Dua