“Old room but great services”

The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Old room but great services”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Bali hotels, the good ones, or the actual beach resorts, are never small. You could be running a marathon before you get to your room. Same thing at this resort. So you could expect some privacy or quietness even though if the place runs 100%.

I find that the hallway to the rooms are quite dark , gloomy, especially for a single traveller like me, I tend to get scared walking at night ? The room is big, good enough to cater an extra bed. I had the pool access room, which is so great, especially it is not facing the main pool. It has a lagoon that I can just walk out from my terrace into the pool.

The hotel comes with butler service. But I didn't make use of it..... when I said buttler service, means, no coffee tea facilities in the room, you want coffee, you ask for it. So what I did was , to just ask for the whole lot to be placed in my room. Whatever drinks I want, so that if I want to drink middle of the night, I don't have to call the buttler in my dressing gown !

Good working table ( i work on trips, so a good working table is really appreciated ) . big TV which is good, considering the TV is far from the bed ( big room as I mentioned ) .

Have a nice bath up with shower, great for kids and couples.

One thing I don't like is that they used glass bottles for the Aqua / drinking bottles. Made me wonder if the glass bottles are actually clean. For a Starwood property, I would expect the mineral waters are personalised in some bottles with their logos.

Had a spa treatment. Nice facility, nice masseur. A bit of the pricey side, but what do you expect.

They also have big pools. Kids would love it, families would enjoy the resort and I feel my family would like this resort too. !

Room Tip: A laguna / pool access comes handy especially if you just want a quick dip without walking far !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear NuttyNutt,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to learn that you had a pleasant and memorable stay at one of our Lagoon Access rooms. We do provide 24 hour butler for a personalized service hence coffee and tea making facilities are available upon request.

In regards with the mineral water, we have a very high standard of hygiene hence we can ensure that our glass bottles are clean and safe. Nevertheless, your feedback regarding bottles with our logo for mineral water is well noted for our consideration.

Thank you for residing with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Mark van Leeuwen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Even though the lagoon access rooms felt less used n smelly... The lagoon access from the room was perfect n the kids had a great time . Its a huge beautiful resort and the pools are fantastic. The beach is nice

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank shilk
Dear shilk,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We really appreciate your kind feedback and we are pleased to learn that you and your family had a great time staying at our Resort. Your concern regarding the room condition has been well noted for our review and follow up.

Thank you and we do hope that your memorable experience will bring you back here in the near future.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

This is the best Hotel we have ever stayed in. Beautiful surroundings, fantastic staff. Nothing was too much trouble. We cannot wait to stay again. The attention to detail was amazing, and the calm atmosphere very relaxing. Being able to order coffee or tea in the room at any time of the day or night was a real bonus.

Stayed August 2013
Dear Catherine M,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

It is pleasing to learn that you had a flawless and memorable stay with us. Guests' satisfaction is our utmost priority and we are happy to learn that we have delivered you the service standard we have tried so hard to maintain so far.

dallas,tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

First of all when we arrived after a long journey the receptionist told us there are giving us an upgraded room which was garden view..when I asked why she didnot have the room ,Lagoon View, I booked 6weeks earlier directly with them,she said she is giving us a bigger room (turned out to be same sq feet) but garden view...when we told her we specifically booked lagoon view room and don't want larger garden view room , she came back and offered us lagoon access room.....when I told her I was going to look for another hotel, she came back in a minute or so with a lagoon view room though in the fourth floor.. I was too tired to argue any further.
The room was large and comfortable but definitely not 5stars...No coffee maker(had to call butler every time one needs a cup of coffee...and tip them every time....no milk powder or cream just milk)no iron table or iron box...no Donot Disturb Door knob sign.. free Wifi is a plus
Pools look good from a distance...but when we started to swim we noticed algae all along the walls....needed to be cleaned ...though its beyond their control when we went to the beach there was a whiff of dried fish smell...too many hawkers....we didnot have problem getting a beach umbrella ...
Restaurant food was good....but I would have preferred them to have separate skillet to make omlettes with out pork products...pork is not kosher for some of us:(.the service was good...people are extremely polite.
The band was singing some mariachi song with nobody paying any attention...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear manglore,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for residing with us and we do apologize if some aspects of your stay have not lived up to your expectation.

In regards with coffee and tea making facilities, we serve 24 hours complimentary coffee, coffee specialties and teas in the room by our butler as we aim to give personalized butler service to all of our guests. Alternatively coffee and tea making facilities are also available upon request. Our Butler will be happy to set a personal coffee and tea making facilities in the room should the guest wish to have self service. We sincerely apologize if this was not communicated to you properly.

Our iron and ironing board are also available upon request and we regret that this was not properly explained to you. Your concern regarding our pools and beach has been well noted for immediate rectification.

Thank you and we do hope that despite your concerns, we are still allowed to welcome you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

19th-21st August 2013

We stayed at the Laguna Resort in Nusa Dua for two nights on our recent trip to Bali. It was our first stop on a two week trip.

We arrived by private transfer from the airport and were greeted by incredibly friendly staff who escorted us to reception. A very friendly receptionist checked us in and explained about the resort facilities.

We had actually booked a lagoon access room but were upgraded to a suite. When we first heard this, we were really disappointed as one of the main reasons we booked was for the novelty idea of lagoon access from our room. However on seeing the incredible suite and the beautiful views it had of the lagoon, we were certainly not disappointed and were very grateful to the reception staff for this. The room was superb equipped with dining area, seating area, double balcony, excellent bedroom space and a huge bathroom with an amazing bathtub.

We wandered round the resort after unpacking to get a feel for the place and thought the blue lagoon amongst all of the greenery was really pretty. We were pleasantly surprised by how well spread out the sun loungers and the bale beds were around the resort - it really enabled you to grab a little private spot rather than being on top of someone else. The Laguna is on the beach front, which is a good location but does not have a great deal of space as all of the resorts are next to each other.

We had lunch on the first day in the Sapphire pool café, which was actually very reasonably priced for a resort of this standard. The service was excellent - the gentleman and lady team were attentive, polite and helpful. The food came quickly and was of very good quality also.

We also sampled in villa dining that night as we were jet lagged and had lovely food, really quick service and again very reasonably priced. This is especially as our next two stops were The Four Seasons and we did not eat in the resorts except for breakfast as they were too expensive.

On our second day, we had breakfast in the beach side restaurant which had lovely views. There was a good range of breakfast to choose from and the staff were helpful and friendly. Lots of stations where staff would cook items to order for you i.e. omelettes. Some of the breakfast items which I loved at the Four Seasons were not quite as good here - i.e. pancaked and waffles but that is probable down to personal taste.

We had arranged with concierge the evening before to reserve a bale (thatch day bed) for the day at a cost to one of the small lagoon pools by where our room was based. It was surrounded by greenery and close to the pool and only had one other bale in view, so felt very private. This was a highlight of the hotel for us - really comfortable, great shade. Included in the price is a plate of fruit and two bottles of water. We stayed there all day except for quick dips in the lagoon and it was very serene and peaceful. The sapphire pool café was close by and the same gentleman and lady team provided such excellent service once again - bringing drinks and food menus over to the bale and serving our food and drinks there.

The resort is lovely at night with all of the lights and especially the beach side dining with the pretty lanterns. The Nusa Dua resorts are next to each other on the beach, so you can walk either side of the laguna to find more lovely resorts and restaurants/bars for more flexibility at night. We had an ice cream in the cornerstone bar - delicious in house products. We were served by Aprid S - who was so friendly and offered us complimentary tastings of the ice cream and sent us away with a jar of cookies, which was such a lovely treat.

We checked out and the hotel had booked us a taxi to take us to the Four Seasons at Sayan. The hotel added the price to our bill and even arranged for the taxi driver to stop a shop so we could stock up on drinks and a temple so that we could take some pictures.

We had a lovely time at The Laguna Resort and it was a real shame we could not have stayed longer. The service was excellent and we enjoyed our stay so much due to the friendly, helpful and polite staff.

Many thanks for your wonderful hospitality.

Mr and Mrs Williams, Oxfordshire, England

Room Tip: The suites are spacious and have amazing views of the lagoon.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Klee_10
Dear Mr and Mrs Williams,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We are glad that you had a wonderful and memorable stay with us and we really appreciate your positive feedback regarding all aspects of our resort. Further, we are pleased to learn that everything we offered you along your stay has lived up to your expectation.

Your positive comment regarding our staff is highly appreciated and we do hope that your nice impression of our resort will bring you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel in July/August and were wow'd when we walked in but that slipped away the 10 nights we stayed

This hotel has no atmosphere I'm afraid to say it is busy during the day and a ghost town at night when I say no one around I mean you and another couple being the only ones in a bar throughout the stay which was such a shame to see! They have no entertainment apart from the poor singers who have no audience to play too and they were good but surely some entertainment is needed here!

The hotel has only two restaurants and they are ok however we ate at other restaurants in other hotels which were similar price but more atmosphere!

We were here on our honeymoon however were not even welcomed with a happy honeymoon throughout our stay however when booking had been advised of lots of honeymoon luxe ry's before we had left... This was a shame and it did not feel as if we were on our honeymoon at all! We mentioned this to management and were advised sorry and that there was nothing they could do they had upgraded us however at a cost we were almost told to have this when we got there be warned...we asked if this could be looked at and maybe taken off our stay the person I was speaking to was not even a manager and I had been waiting an hour for a call back before I had to embarrassingly walk to reception to speak to someone.... We had to barter with them to do anything for us it was unbelievable!! I have never received service like this!

The English is terrible and you can not ask for anything out of the norm or you will not be understood! It was very difficult.

The deli is lovely I would advise to go here!

The beach and gardens are amazing and I can safely say this is the best part of this hotel and the staff are exceptional the work they do to maintain this!

We love luxury hotels and this is not one if your looking for a lovely stay we noticed that the reviews are starting to go down hill maybe this is something management need to look at

We moved to Whotel seminyak part of starwoods hotels and I this was exceptional.... I do not write bad reviews but unfortunatly I have had too on this occasion as for us this should have been a memory!

Look at my review for Whotel you will not be disappointed and they are part of the same group

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 9trina9
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear 9trina9,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for residing with us and we do apologize if some aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectation. Please rest assured that we have very well noted all your concerns and shared with relevant departments for immediate review and improvement.

We do hope that your less than perfect experience will not prevent you from coming back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Laguna for 10 nights in July. Our check-in was great, as was the explanation of how everything in our room worked. We were booked into a lagoon access room which was beautiful and very clean. The resort was lovely. We found the prices in the resort restaurants very expensive and to differ from one restaurant to another by double for the same menu item, eg the soup! We went to their seafood restaurant one night and were told that was no white wine and that there was none in the hotel, funny but when we dined at the Cornerstone Deli an hour later there was an abundance! My husband and I both got very bad Bali belly and spent a couple of days in bed but were too ill to complain to staff. On our return, I emailed the Laguna but 3 weeks later have not received a response which we find very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mars1959,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

We are in pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our Resort and rooms and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you had experienced during your stay.

In regards with our F&B pricing, kindly be advised that our pricing is in line with surrounding five star establishments which we always revisit to make sure that it remains competitive among the similar resorts in the area.