“Slightly disappointing”

Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Hampshire
“Slightly disappointing”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel in July/August and were wow'd when we walked in but that slipped away the 10 nights we stayed

This hotel has no atmosphere I'm afraid to say it is busy during the day and a ghost town at night when I say no one around I mean you and another couple being the only ones in a bar throughout the stay which was such a shame to see! They have no entertainment apart from the poor singers who have no audience to play too and they were good but surely some entertainment is needed here!

The hotel has only two restaurants and they are ok however we ate at other restaurants in other hotels which were similar price but more atmosphere!

We were here on our honeymoon however were not even welcomed with a happy honeymoon throughout our stay however when booking had been advised of lots of honeymoon luxe ry's before we had left... This was a shame and it did not feel as if we were on our honeymoon at all! We mentioned this to management and were advised sorry and that there was nothing they could do they had upgraded us however at a cost we were almost told to have this when we got there be warned...we asked if this could be looked at and maybe taken off our stay the person I was speaking to was not even a manager and I had been waiting an hour for a call back before I had to embarrassingly walk to reception to speak to someone.... We had to barter with them to do anything for us it was unbelievable!! I have never received service like this!

The English is terrible and you can not ask for anything out of the norm or you will not be understood! It was very difficult.

The deli is lovely I would advise to go here!

The beach and gardens are amazing and I can safely say this is the best part of this hotel and the staff are exceptional the work they do to maintain this!

We love luxury hotels and this is not one if your looking for a lovely stay we noticed that the reviews are starting to go down hill maybe this is something management need to look at

We moved to Whotel seminyak part of starwoods hotels and I this was exceptional.... I do not write bad reviews but unfortunatly I have had too on this occasion as for us this should have been a memory!

Look at my review for Whotel you will not be disappointed and they are part of the same group

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 9trina9
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear 9trina9,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for residing with us and we do apologize if some aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectation. Please rest assured that we have very well noted all your concerns and shared with relevant departments for immediate review and improvement.

We do hope that your less than perfect experience will not prevent you from coming back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Mark van Leeuwen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Laguna for 10 nights in July. Our check-in was great, as was the explanation of how everything in our room worked. We were booked into a lagoon access room which was beautiful and very clean. The resort was lovely. We found the prices in the resort restaurants very expensive and to differ from one restaurant to another by double for the same menu item, eg the soup! We went to their seafood restaurant one night and were told that was no white wine and that there was none in the hotel, funny but when we dined at the Cornerstone Deli an hour later there was an abundance! My husband and I both got very bad Bali belly and spent a couple of days in bed but were too ill to complain to staff. On our return, I emailed the Laguna but 3 weeks later have not received a response which we find very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mars1959,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

We are in pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our Resort and rooms and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you had experienced during your stay.

In regards with our F&B pricing, kindly be advised that our pricing is in line with surrounding five star establishments which we always revisit to make sure that it remains competitive among the similar resorts in the area.

Thank you for residing with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Khanom, Thailand
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Prima hotel, kamers beetje oubollig maar netjes, koffie/thee, krantje gebracht door de butler op je kamer compenseert de ietwat oubolligheid, service in dit hotel is fantastisch with special thanks to Sari (breakfast and lunch) Rahadi (lunch) and Rio (Gym) for their attention and professionalism.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Monique R,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for your nice feedback regarding our service and facilities and we are glad to learn that our staff have taken care of you very well along your stay. I have personally extended your positive feedback to our team especially Sari, Rahadi, and Rio who have made your stay with us a memorable one .

We do hope your nice impression of our Resort will bring you back here in the near future,

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We are currently staying at this lovely hotel. The grounds are breathtaking and the lagoons and surrounding nature justify the slogan at the entrance of the hotel 'welcome to paradise'. The staff is very friendly and the food is good. We are enjoying our stay very much.
However I should point out a few items which takes the shine off the beautiful luscious scenery of the grounds, which having looked at the other hotels in Nusa Dua are probably the best kept.
Firstly the very annoying thing is the fact that if you don't reserve a lounger on the beach you will find that by 9.30 there are only single loungers in the bright sun left. Reserve means putting a towel and a book or magazine on the lounger at 7.30 am, going back to bed and after a leisurely breakfast coming back for an hour or two at 11am before leaving for lunch again. As I go for a morning run at 7.30 I have seen many guests do this. Attempts to stop this with little signs 'forbidding' this habit fail due to the inability to follow it through. There is a security guard who assured me that this is done but I have been disappointed every day but refuse to follow the others. I expect hotel management to do something about this seeing as it is an issue addressed many times before.
Another thing which is definitely not five star quality is the staff. All very friendly and helpful, ready smiles always available. However theaattentiveness and experience from five star service is lacking. Just a couple of examples, when I ask for a tea with milk they bring hot milk, when they forget the milk I say that I would like some milk and they bring a glass of milk. I have to smile because they correct this with an apology but it has happened many times.
At breakfast the staff are helpful and at the beach restaurant you often have to call the staff to clear the soiled plates away. There is enough staff and they are constantly milling around but I have heard that you should never go back empty handed, meaning that when they bring the drinks they should look around for plates or glasses they can take back with them.
I have a few other recommendations which I am happy to provide the management with, I am in room 312.

Nusa Dua is very quiet and there are limited good quality restaurants with good value around. The beach restaurant and the bar are great, the food is excellent compared to the alternatives in the area. The rooms are Ok but the shower /bath combination is not five star. The prices for drinks and food are however too high, this is five star. 55000 rps ($5.50) for a club soda is a joke.
Thank you for a wonderful holiday, I highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Llewellyn-Davies,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for your nice feedback regarding our ground and friendly staff and we apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. We have well noted all your feedback and shared with relevant departments for their review and improvement.

Guests' satisfaction is our priority and we really appreciate your comments since it allows us to look into the areas where we have failed to meet your expectation.

We do hope that despite your concerns, we are still allowed to welcome you back in the near future.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a perfect Holiday at the Laguna. The rooms are nice ( the villas ,too), everything is clean and the Pools are awesome! The Laguna offers a Lot of activities ( Spa etc.) it is located in Nusa Dua, direct by the Sea !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear travelhorst,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We are happy to read your favorable review regarding our Resort and facilities and it is pleasing to learn that everything we have offered you along your stay has met your expectation.

We do hope your memorable experience will bring you back here in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed in the Laguna in Aug for 8 nights as the last part of our honeymoon.

The good part: the hotel pools are impressive, really not much need for the beach at all... Every day we managed to find a laguna that you could basically have for yourself. It was definitely the nicest hotel in the Nusa Dua stretch, besides the St. Regis, with nicer pools than the Melia, Westin, etc and the beach was nicer than Benoa.

The Laguna beach front was the best too (though you have to take your beach loungers early, which we didn't like...), a great variety of restaurants, not cheap but ok for a few meals and lovely ice cream from their cornershop cafe!

The ok: The room was very nice, we had a studio room which were very big and clean. Not the newest furniture but elegant and clean.

The hotel is so big you don't receive the personal service received elsewhere in Bali, so maybe not the best honeymoon choice, but everyone is very friendly and everything was seen to effectively.

The not so good: check-in takes time... You will not be checked in till after 3 so make sure you plan accordingly and then when we were finally checked in the room was not what we had booked. We had reserved a studio with Laguna view. First, the woman at the front desk said she was "upgrading" us to a larger studio room (which is what we had paid for!) and then said they didn't have any Laguna view rooms... Not happy. However, I must say that they changed us the next day, but of course this wasn't a great start. Make sure you know what room you have booked.

My other bad is not related directly with the hotel but the area. Nusa Dua is great if you want beach and pool, no more. It is a closed area with hotels and the Bali collection and nothing else. Definitely stay in Ubud before, if you can, to see more of Bali and don't expect anything but a resort area when you get to Nusa Dua.

I hope this review helps!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ECTravelingAround
Dear ECTravelingAround,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding our pools, restaurants, and rooms and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your check in process. We are glad to learn that your concern regarding your room allocation was finally resolved to your satisfaction.

We do hope that your concern did not make your stay with us less than perfect and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Brussels
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Rooms slightly outdated, an iron should be provided. Hairdryer so noisy it hurts my ears. Room service menu falling apart, after requesting another one, received an even worse one. Found quite an amount of dust under the chair, but still, good sized bed and bathtub. More isolation would be preferred, as we woke up from some guests. Room should have a 'Do not disturb' signal. Room service quality was fast enough but my pizza was cold, undercooked. French fries weren't fresh, clwsarly came from freezer. First day the breakfast lacked freshness and choice, this improved a bit the next mornings. Woman showing us to our seats had a bit of an attitude when I asked for a place outside. The grilled tomato was cold, the croutons in the salad weren't crispy & the vegetable sandwiches had been lying there for too long. Some suggestions: brie cheese, texture of meat choices are a bit plastic-like. Cold bacon. No 100% fresh orange. Bread was nice & sunny side up eggs + complimentary coffee too. Then the disappointment of this morning. Half of the sunbeds are automatically reserved for villa guests. When we asked about is, they just laughed and pointed to the other side where all sunbeds were taken. We decided to look for another sunbed around the swimming pool but when we asked someone about a chair or even a towel their answer was "that's not my job". Then when we asked another person their answer was a finger pointing to "there, up the hill", not even assisting us or giving us towels (had to walk back AGAIN). Garden architecture well done. Overall, garden and pool are clean enough. Lots of ants and wasps though, some small spiders. What's nice about a swimming pool or beach if there aren't enough sunbeds and working staff isn't being helpful? Also, many hawkers on the beach (about every 5min) and ice cream stand + watersport stand trying to sell their services in a too pushy manner. Many fake smiles, some genuine ones. Cocktails drinkable but not worth the money. Beach looks nice but not clear at all, some floating trash. Pharmacy is really limited and everything is out of reach. Nusa Dua feels a bit like being inside a golden cage, it looks amazing but food and drinks are way overpriced and you can only get out the hotel by calling a taxi.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Nova001
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Nova001,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for your feedback and we do apologize if some aspects of your stay have not lived up to your expectation. We have well noted and shares all your concerns to relevant departments for our review and improvement

We do hope that despite your disappointment, we are still allowed to welcome you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.